College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

CFB happened during Spanish flu everyone in the stands wore masks 

You know how fall of 1918 went, right?

Edit: One minute after googling "college football 1918"

The third sentence on the wiki page for 1918 College Football Season is "World War I's impact on colleges in the country, and the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic, eliminated most of that years scheduled football games." It's annotated with a source - an old newspaper article at the Michigan library.

An SI article in May notes that in addition to 18 schools (which I'm willing to bet id proportionally equal to a larger number now) canceling, most couldn't start until October or November, and many played three or four games.

Lastly I'm willing to bet the no mask crowd is overrepresented among college football fans. Not to mention attendance numbers were wildly different then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Things are going to look a whole lot different a month from today..  Still lots of time between now and September.

yeah, worse.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lol, its very unlikely we have a season starting even in, say, January

this.  why would anything be better in the spring? as a country we've taken a treatment approach rather than trying to prevent people from actually getting sick.  we're gonna need a vaccine to get sports back in any normal fashion.

Just now, 4th&Five said:

yeah, worse.

this.  why would anything be better in the spring? as a country we've taken a treatment approach rather than trying to prevent people from actually getting sick.  we're gonna need a vaccine to get sports back in any normal fashion.

You mean there won’t be a decrease in the winter after everyone travels bc CHRISTMAS IS A SACRED CHRISTIAN TRADITION IN THIS COUNTRY 

What exactly is going to change from fall to next spring? Not gonna be a vaccine, and even if by miracle there was, people won’t trust it. So what’s the difference?

If you don’t think we can tolerate the risks of a CFB season this fall you are essentially punting to 2021, if we’re lucky. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoffaJimmy said:

The MAC schools and other smaller schools are going to be fucked. A lot of those P5 paydays pay for the great majority of their Athletic budgets. 

Big time schools will be fucked too.  Only UT and maybe 2-3 others are in great position.  The vast majority of even bigtime programs will be hurt very badly.  They’re leveraged out the ass and can get away with huge money projects bc what bank would ever think their revenue could drop close to zero for a season?  It’s all a game of money - why is it the NCAA never truly hammers bigtime programs?  

The unscientific hope things won't be worse is the fact that the entire northeast region of the country, and much of the midwest, has really settled down after the March-May surge. If that happens down south by mid-August, mf'ers are gonna demand we play some ball.

Of course we have the impending second wave, but we've still got people denying the current wave exists so no way people are gonna plan ahead for wave two. Shit, I have questions about that myself, COVID-19 seems to behave a lot differently than its predecessors in some key ways (weather effects, inconsistent transmission, etc).

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Perhaps canceling the nonconference slate is The power 5s way of showing they care about the health and safety of their student athletes so they can justify having an abbreviated season. Maybe there’s still hope yet for college football this fall

Then they would lose all credibility to their claim of putting safety first because playing conference games would be no different then playing non-conference games.   Either play all or cancel the season.  Or pay up your buyouts.   

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Big time schools will be fucked too.  Only UT and maybe 2-3 others are in great position.  The vast majority of even bigtime programs will be hurt very badly.  They’re leveraged out the ass and can get away with huge money projects bc what bank would ever think their revenue could drop close to zero for a season?  It’s all a game of money - why is it the NCAA never truly hammers bigtime programs?  

BYU will be fine because we are self-funded (with funding of programs for years on out) and one of a handful of programs operating in the black financially.   But this could really shake things up with regard to realignment as many P5s and all of the G5s take big financial hits to their programs.

Edited by TeddyBearStallion

It’s going to hit the 1-AAs (FCS) and low-income “bottom 75” D1s a hell of a lot more financially, than just safety precautions.

All of those schools look forward to the check and not the “ass beating” on the scoreboard. Those games are also planned years in advance and the check is calculated into their thin budget.

14 minutes ago, maninblack said:

At least the players won't have to worry about kneeling or leaving for the Eyes if the season doesn't go off.

Perfect compromise, we will remove the eyes and rename the stadium the BLM and George Floyd memorial stadium for the 2020 season. 

CFB to return in 2021. It will be like that aggy manziel suspension with Sumlin where it was for a specific opponent, and not the next game.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

To Sam Ehlinger? Is that a serious question? Dude committed to Texas at like age 7. I'm pretty sure if you told him he could win a natty if it meant he'd never get a dime from the NFL he'd take that deal.

Also I don't know why you think Ehlinger is guaranteed an NFL paycheck. He's a long way from a pro QB based on what we've seen. Practice squad gets paid I guess.

You think he could be a decent fullback/special teams player in the NFL?

22 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Looks like the big 12 and FCS are the only money grubbing whores that will put $$$ over player safety

FIFY

Move the season to the spring. I guess the Big 12 can get a bunch of FCS schools for all the teams to play in the OOC. Because that's worth risking player safety for cupcake, buy a wins. 

Edited by mdmost

10 minutes ago, mdleast said:

On a related note:

7daa7246f42b66da3e3a2778a296831d.jpg

At least the big 12 has all their non conference before conference starts so it kinda makes sense if they think a few weeks will make a difference. But I don’t see why in the SEC for example it makes sense to play 8 games in September and a October and then cancel their November FCS opponent because of safety 

• Like 1

if a canceled football season means flushing women’s sports down the shitter for good I’d call that a silver lining.  fuck title IX.  I assume there could be a good case made in court for genderless sports teams.  doesn’t title IX just make you match teams for men and women?  so no men’s teams, no women’s teams.  just open tryouts for human beings.  and then the whole women’s “sports” charade could be put to rest. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

FIFY
Move the season to the spring. I guess the Big 12 can get a bunch of FCS schools for all the teams to play in the OOC. Because that's worth risking player safety for cupcake, buy a wins. 

Ndsu would win the college football playoff with the big 12.

I agree tho. Try again in the spring. Hopefully this things contained to the point we can have half empty stadiums

12 minutes ago, futureman said:

if a canceled football season means flushing women’s sports down the shitter for good I’d call that a silver lining.  fuck title IX.  I assume there could be a good case made in court for genderless sports teams.  doesn’t title IX just make you match teams for men and women?  so no men’s teams, no women’s teams.  just open tryouts for human beings.  and then the whole women’s “sports” charade could be put to rest. 

Wtf is wrong with you? 

• Like 4

Expect a call about a position on the Baylor football staff very soon.
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

This particularly astute piece of analysis comes from a gentleman who, earlier in this thread, proudly proclaimed in no uncertain terms there would be a regular season in 2020 with fans.

you’ve mistaken me for someone else, klanboy. 

You think he could be a decent fullback/special teams player in the NFL?
I'm not saying he can't be an NFL QB, just that his earning potential as it stands now is minimal. He'd need to show some significant growth this year to be a higj enough draft pick that he'd likely make a roster. Not out of the realm of possibility. It happens. See Burrow, Joe (note: I'm not saying Sam is the next Joe Burrow).

He's not a (trigger warning) Taysom Hill level athlete so I'm not sure he's athletic enough to be useful on special teams but theoretically he could be a good modern fullback if he's got hands.

His career arc could be like Hill though. Take him as a project/ third QB worth keeping on the roster to build a short yardage or red zone package around. See if he can grow into something more from there.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, futureman said:

Videos of said tryouts would probably be hard to watch and quite the epiphany for many people.  

Edited by stork642

31 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I'm not saying he can't be an NFL QB, just that his earning potential as it stands now is minimal. He'd need to show some significant growth this year to be a higj enough draft pick that he'd likely make a roster. Not out of the realm of possibility. It happens. See Burrow, Joe (note: I'm not saying Sam is the next Joe Burrow).

He's not a (trigger warning) Taysom Hill level athlete so I'm not sure he's athletic enough to be useful on special teams but theoretically he could be a good modern fullback if he's got hands.

His career arc could be like Hill though. Take him as a project/ third QB worth keeping on the roster to build a short yardage or red zone package around. See if he can grow into something more from there.

I love Sam but I don’t see him getting meaningful playing time in the NFL.  He’s damn smart and I see him staying and not giving up that chance to play his senior year to go to the NFL to be a career backup.   He loves Texas too much.  

Edited by stork642

SANTA FE — Citing an explosion in virus cases, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said Thursday that New Mexico will reimpose a ban on indoor dining and call off high school football and other contact sports this fall.

She also urged colleges and universities to postpone their football seasons but said she is still weighing whether it’s safe for New Mexico United, a professional soccer team, to play its season.

https://www.abqjournal.com/1474274/watch-live-lujan-grisham-to-deliver-virus-briefing.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

It's probably little more than a delaying tactic.  Most conference games don't start until late Sept/early Oct.  They're hoping that things calm down by then....they won't.  At some point in Sept, they'll probably say "we're going to play 50% of our conference schedule", then probably cancel or delay until spring. 

Exactly. nothing's canceled officially yet for the same reason F1 hasn't been officially canceled yet at COTA - even though everyone knows it's not gonna happen. Holding onto that money for as long as they can. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

You mean there won’t be a decrease in the winter after everyone travels bc CHRISTMAS IS A SACRED CHRISTIAN TRADITION IN THIS COUNTRY 

You are just a miserable prick all the time, aren't you? I can't imagine being this unhappy all the time.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

All the ND talk reminded me that I’d heard earlier that Coach Holtz’s wife passed away today. T&P go to her and her extended family.

Coach Holtz is college football and all it represents! I remember him back in his Arky days, to the Jets, and then to ND. SC talked him out of retirement, but his knowledge, advice, and quotes over the years will last a lifetime- so RIP Beth Holtz for being a football wife, Mom, and mentor.

• Like 2

I have a “sideline jacket” worn by Coach Holtz, during his ND days, donated by his sister/SIL (can’t remember), at a Houston Christian sports fund raiser. Still have it, but it’s to keep as a momento only - he is/was then like a “medium” sized man. Not to be worn by me or anyone else I know!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msucolt45 said:

I have a “sideline jacket” worn by Coach Holtz, during his ND days, donated by his sister/SIL (can’t remember), at a Houston Christian sports fund raiser. Still have it, but it’s to keep as a momento only - he is/was then like a “medium” sized man. Not to be worn by me or anyone else I know!

How much dried up drool is on that thing?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If the season is canceled or significantly reduced, it seems everyone gets an extra year of eligibility. I’m assuming many graduating seniors will stay at their schools unless they are projected as high draft picks, or we may also have a high degree of graduate transfers. Either way, they can stay and finish out their college career if they choose to.

What’s a little crazier to me is the high school situation. No high school senior is going to take a victory lap for the sake of high school football. Recruiting and signing day will be strange with much less info to rely on, then we’ll have a class of less proven talent that will enter college programs where the previous “freshmen” never even got a freshmen season. It seems like they’ll basically get lumped together into one giant bizarro class.

Chi Town - I did look for grass stains, as he was a known chewer of turf grass, prior to Les Miles. Only significant signs are the “Holtz” written on the inside size tag and that it came from his known sister/SIL.
Plus how in the hell does someone from the Houston area get a “medium” ND sideline pull-over jacket (that he was known to wear)?

• Like 1