College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Next will come the realization that every university in this country now has an AD budget that is proper fucked.  As most of these universities will also have massive holes in their overall budgets, and state revenues will be down.....good luck with a bailout. 

All except maybe a dozen or so (including BYU) who are operating in the black financially.  

Edited by TeddyBearStallion

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Fuck the Pac 12, what does it matter if the games are conference or non-conference, you still are playing a high-contact sport in a stadium filled with people.  Covid doesn't follow NCAA and Pac 12 guidelines but the simple principles of biology.  

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

If they were actually concerned about the health and safety of their athletes, employees and fans then they wouldn't have any games. They are just using the COVID as a convenient cover to further bury non-P5 programs and take a bigger share of the pie for themselves.  Greedy fuckers.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Remember when we said if this things still this bad by the fall we have bigger issues. 

fuck 2020 just cancel football.  Conf only is fucking stupid LSU skirts their fucking ass whoppin owed to them 

How we will go to "College Gameday" events, in 2022.?! (i'm kidding)...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

If they were actually concerned about the health and safety of their athletes, employees and fans then they wouldn't have any games. They are just using the COVID as a convenient cover to further bury non-P5 programs and take a bigger share of the pie for themselves.  Greedy fuckers.  

download.jpg.59db7db476b1f123c1ec760860983d31.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I can guarantee you that if we even have a season, ESPN will be pulling the strings with the Big 12 or another P5 conference to fit us in in order to replace the five games we had scheduled (UU, Mich St, ASU, Minnesota, Mizzou, and Stanford (and Boise State if the MWC decides to follow suit as well)) because they have a financial stake with regard to their content, esp in the Saturday evening time slot.    

In the late 90s all the Dell folks had this great analogy about their JIT systems etc and how their competitive advantage was that they could stand in the deep end of the pool while competitors drowned. P5, but especially the true deep pocketed blue bloods, will use this as an opportunity to flush out the pretenders. No need to create a Super Div I to pool TV deals because all the scrub teams will have to cancel their teams anyway.

3 hours ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

I can guarantee you that if we even have a season, ESPN will be pulling the strings with the Big 12 or another P5 conference to fit us in in order to replace the five games we had scheduled (UU, Mich St, ASU, Minnesota, Mizzou, and Stanford (and Boise State if the MWC decides to follow suit as well)) because they have a financial stake with regard to their content, esp in the Saturday evening time slot.    

That’s cool ‘cause I heard Covid doesn’t impact Mormons or Southerners. So I’m sure ESPN will be lining up opponents for you this year...

6 hours ago, kopp0e said:

This is the apocalypse that no one ever thought to plan for (obviously) but it could cancel the UT-Arkansas/ OU-Nebraska games in 2021...

That is unless there is an effective vaccine (as I assume the 1st batches to have some side affects), we may not see CFP on track 'til '22..?!

Arkansas is not on our schedule. UT is Texas, Tennessee is Tennessee.

Shame! Shame!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Arkansas is not on our schedule. UT is Texas, Tennessee is Tennessee.

Shame! Shame!

12 hours ago, kopp0e said:

This is the apocalypse that no one ever thought to plan for (obviously) but it could cancel the UT-Arkansas/ OU-Nebraska games in 2021...

9 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

In the late 90s all the Dell folks had this great analogy about their JIT systems etc and how their competitive advantage was that they could stand in the deep end of the pool while competitors drowned. P5, but especially the true deep pocketed blue bloods, will use this as an opportunity to flush out the pretenders. No need to create a Super Div I to pool TV deals because all the scrub teams will have to cancel their teams anyway.

This is ruining and will be the nail in the coffin for college football.  CFB is cannibalizing itself out of greed.  

8 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Wait...someone update me on why ESPN gives a shit about some homophobic school in Utah? 

Because they have a financial interest in said "homophobic school in Utah" in the form of a television contract?

FYI, said "homophobic school" employs several gay and lesbian professors who are well established in their programs. 

Also, Steve Young and his wife are big supporters of LGBTQ rights and equality. 

8 hours ago, Left Coast said:

That’s cool ‘cause I heard Covid doesn’t impact Mormons or Southerners. So I’m sure ESPN will be lining up opponents for you this year...

BYU goes on a "faith tour" vs Baylor/ Incarnate Word/ SMU/ TCU & Rice, that should fill the games that fell off the slate, (unless more dropped)...
On another note, the bowl system will be much smaller in the years to come, as the minor bowls fall to oblivion/ CFP will expand to 8/ 12 or 16...

4 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

BYU goes on a "faith tour" vs Baylor/ Incarnate Word/ SMU/ TCU & Rice, that should fill the games that fell off the slate, (unless more dropped)...
On another note, the bowl system will be much smaller in the years to come, as the minor bowls fall to oblivion/ CFP will expand to 8/ 12 or 16...

I like it, add ND, Liberty, Wake Forrest, Duke (Historic connection), but call it the "See whom God likes best tour".

• Like 1

It's a side note to the whole season cancellation problem, but I guess this would mean almost no coaching changes. 

If they were good enough to keep at the end of last season, then short of some scandal or a retirement there would be no reason, (and likely no money) to change.

16 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I think the odds of making it through a season are basically the inverse of the odds of no trainers, no coaches, and no family members of players catching Covid and passing away from it. And I think the odds of not a single one of those people dying from Covid are as close to zero as you can get without actually being zero. It would probably happen even without a season. But as soon as it happens during camp or the season, it's curtains.

At this point I'm convinced all of the Universities have all of their donation and ticket revenue sitting in their Robinhood accounts and are just trying to get as much of that sweet sweet stonks gains off of it as possible before having to refund it all. They know it's not going to happen.

Guess it depends on their preconditions. But just because someone dies does not mean the season ends.

21 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

It's a side note to the whole season cancellation problem, but I guess this would mean almost no coaching changes. 

If they were good enough to keep at the end of last season, then short of some scandal or a retirement there would be no reason, (and likely no money) to change.

Tom Herman makes it to 2021 much to Surly's chagrin. 

1 hour ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

This is ruining and will be the nail in the coffin for college football.  CFB is cannibalizing itself out of greed.  

Because they have a financial interest in said "homophobic school in Utah" in the form of a television contract?

FYI, said "homophobic school" employs several gay and lesbian professors who are well established in their programs. 

Only logical Mormons should be supportive, why else have multiple wives if not for romancin.  Plus for every guy who takes 5 wives, there’s 4 guys who get left out, supply/demand and whatnot.  

1 hour ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

Ah, so the homophobia only applies to the students. Phew, what a relief. Thank you Steve Young!! In other news Von Miller is black so A&M can’t possibly be a racist cesspool.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Ok but what if, and this is purely theoretical, the coach wasn’t good enough to keep last year but your University kept him anyways and let him hire an almost entirely new coaching staff because he failed at hiring his first coaching staff worse than @SydneyCarton trying to write coherent sentences on his phone? 

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
1 hour ago, mdmost said:
Tom Herman makes it to 2021 much to Surly's chagrin. 

Can't wait for the meltdown when he gets extended for his "stewardship of our young men and the football program during these unprecedented times."

Pierce and Shaka too

• Like 1

I don’t see the SEC ever going conference only, otherwise they’d have to play real teams for over half their schedule and they can’t have that. That’ll expose the “best conference” lie when people remember half of their opponents are always southern Mississippi community college or whatever.

• Like 4

I don’t see the SEC ever going conference only, otherwise they’d have to play real teams for over half their schedule and they can’t have that. That’ll expose the “best conference” lie when people remember half of their opponents are always southern Mississippi community college or whatever.

lol lie? They only have half of the championships since 2000 and the closest conference is the ACC with 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Look if cancelling college football means I don’t have to hear Taysom Hills name ever again...I’m all for it, assuming he’s still BYUs QB

He's going to be the heir apparent to Drew Brees and finally get our revenge for 2017 and 2019

owl deal with it GIF

Edited by BradInATX