College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

43 minutes ago, markstanco said:
2 hours ago, Js1 said:
Pierce and Shaka too

Pierce is fine. Shaka sucks.

We missed the tournament and finished 9th in conference in 2019. In year 3, the year you start judging them on their recruits

id hold off on calling him “fine”

spacer.png

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

lol lie? They only have half of the championships since 2000 and the closest conference is the ACC with 4

In a system set up to ensure their participation in a 4-team invitational, the conference has one dominant program (Bama), which is admittedly head and shoulders above all but 1-2 other nationally, and two others that have had magical seasons (LSU and cheatin’ more than you Auburn).  UGA is also a very, very good team, but not better than the top of other conferences. The rest of the conference, both divisions, is average to mediocre to bad.  The same as any other conference. 
Bama is dominant. The SECX3 is not. That’s the reality. 

One way to recoup funds would be (if there is a "limited" season) for ESPN to have contingency plans that in case of COVID spike:

Have pre-planned airings of #ESPNCollegeGamedayGreatestHits, where the show airs the best clips over the past 20 plus years...

Edited by kopp0e
  • Like 1

In a system set up to ensure their participation in a 4-team invitational, the conference has one dominant program (Bama), which is admittedly head and shoulders above all but 1-2 other nationally, and two others that have had magical seasons (LSU and cheatin’ more than you Auburn).  UGA is also a very, very good team, but not better than the top of other conferences. The rest of the conference, both divisions, is average to mediocre to bad.  The same as any other conference. 

Bama is dominant. The SECX3 is not. That’s the reality. 

I’d put Clemson on Alabama’s tier but after them it’s Ohio State, Oklahoma and....? Mix and match any SEC school with LSU and Georgia.

And maybe I put too much emphasis on how top heavy some leagues are and I rank them by how many title contenders they have. I really don’t care about how Mississippi St, Arkansas and Mizzou compare vs Kstate, Texas and Texas Tech

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hozz said:

What is the thinking behind conference games being safer to play?

Standardized testing within conferences and if you have to postpone games, it’s easier to reschedule within conference 

Let's call it what it is -- a simple way to buy some time when it became obvious no one is kicking off on Sept. 5. They'll look at the virus numbers again in a couple weeks, which will probably be coming under control but still way too high to start the 6-week countdown to a season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Standardized testing within conferences and if you have to postpone games, it’s easier to reschedule within conference 

Why would they not play regionals in the same market that agree to the same protocols? Conferences aren’t regional sections of the country like they should be, so you have significant travel involved. It sure makes a lot more sense for Florida to play one of the myriad teams in FL over flying to Missouri or A&M. The Group of 5 teams are more regionally situated within the different conference borders and would be a more safe game than flying half way across the country the way some of these conferences are laid out.

10 minutes ago, Brew said:

Why would they not play regionals in the same market that agree to the same protocols? Conferences aren’t regional sections of the country like they should be, so you have significant travel involved. It sure makes a lot more sense for Florida to play one of the myriad teams in FL over flying to Missouri or A&M. The Group of 5 teams are more regionally situated within the different conference borders and would be a more safe game than flying half way across the country the way some of these conferences are laid out.

None of them are gonna happen regardless. 

Just now, Js1 said:

None of them are gonna happen regardless. 

I get that, the plan is just stupid. It would make more sense for them to group up regionally to play that way the risk is similar between the markets assuming they play any games.

5 minutes ago, Brew said:

I get that, the plan is just stupid. It would make more sense for them to group up regionally to play that way the risk is similar between the markets assuming they play any games.

For non-conf maybe. I read the B1G is talking to the MAC about filling holes 

Since the NCAA won’t police P5 NCAAF testing, the conferences have to. Easier for the Big 12 office to set and monitor testing procedures and reschedule games within the conference. 

Travel is an issue for sure. Your plan would be, what, reorganize everyone into state/regional conference for one season?  Can we ensure we play aggy, UH, and SMU so we win more? 

I have this all figured out. Nothing but non conference games, and they are all played in December inside a giant microwave (to kill the Chinese Corona) on Epstein's sex island. You take the NBA bubble idea and do the opposite. Same for the fans. No marching bands. Except for otherwise. Anyone tests positive, we reverse everything. 

• Like 1

Prediction: SEC refuses to give up 8 game conference schedule for 10 game conference schedule. Allows each team to still play two FCS/nonP5 cupcakes located in their respective states. The spin will be it “these programs rely on the revenue” and “local games will keep spread low”. They could also say fuck it and only play 8 games 

• Like 1

I have this all figured out. Nothing but non conference games, and they are all played in December inside a giant microwave (to kill the Chinese Corona) on Epstein's sex island. You take the NBA bubble idea and do the opposite. Same for the fans. No marching bands. Except for otherwise. Anyone tests positive, we reverse everything. 

No way non sec teams want Gary danielson staying on the same sex island as them

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

For non-conf maybe. I read the B1G is talking to the MAC about filling holes 

Since the NCAA won’t police P5 NCAAF testing, the conferences have to. Easier for the Big 12 office to set and monitor testing procedures and reschedule games within the conference. 

Travel is an issue for sure. Your plan would be, what, reorganize everyone into state/regional conference for one season?  Can we ensure we play aggy, UH, and SMU so we win more? 

Honestly, pull the plug on 2020 altogether, roll it to the spring, align the schedules regionally while maintaining conference with OOC local games filling schedule, or let it go off with an agreed upon set of parameters that all participating teams agree to. Conference only makes zero sense because of the geographical creep through the conferences and the travel requirements. ACC has teams spread from NY to FL which could be in drastically different stages of this at the season kickoff. 

What is the best case end result that we are looking for? We get playoffs with no other bowl games at this point? Hell, line it up with an NCAA style tournament if we just want football and a national champion. Split the country into 8 regions, all teams that agree to the protocols play in the regionals based on a draw or the 2019 year end rankings, winner of 8 regions moves to a tournament to take the place of the playoffs, winner gets the NC trophy.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

And you get to keep 100% of revenue for yourself and re-schedule to keep ESPN and Fox happy.

So if they even tried to play this season, they will be testing all the players, staff, coaches, refs, etc once every few days or what? In areas where people can’t get tested and have to wait 7 or more days for results and are running out of testing supplies? Yeah, this wouldn’t be a good look.

Yes, the power leagues plan to test weekly (at least). Money talks, and it's not the conferences' fault that US government has been suppressing test availability the entire year. If we do get a season, I bet there will be times when teams have to practice before they get test results back due to delays.

There is a simple solution.  Texas has ALWAYS wanted to rub elbows with the intellectually superior.  After all, first and foremost we are a University (and a pretty fuckin good one at that).

Drop division 1 sports. 

Give all athletes their outright release.

Apply for admission to the Ivy League. All athletes qualify academically to get in school.

Basically a walk-on athletic program.

Problem solved.  You're welcome.  :) 

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

Yes, the power leagues plan to test weekly (at least). Money talks, and it's not the conferences' fault that US government has been suppressing test availability the entire year. If we do get a season, I bet there will be times when teams have to practice before they get test results back due to delays.

FYI, don't recall where I saw the info, but the Sooners AD stated it cost between 15-20K to test the entire team and staff....once.

Multiply that by how many times during the season it's gonna run and tack that on to the tab.

1 hour ago, tonedeaf said:

There is a simple solution.  Texas has ALWAYS wanted to rub elbows with the intellectually superior.  After all, first and foremost we are a University (and a pretty fuckin good one at that).

Drop division 1 sports. 

Give all athletes their outright release.

Apply for admission to the Ivy League. All athletes qualify academically to get in school.

Basically a walk-on athletic program.

Problem solved.  You're welcome.  :) 

Tonedeaf, eh?

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

FYI, don't recall where I saw the info, but the Sooners AD stated it cost between 15-20K to test the entire team and staff....once.

Multiply that by how many times during the season it's gonna run and tack that on to the tab.

The tab is nothing compared to the TV income from each game that gets played. P5 schools can do it once per week, though it really should be much more often than that, and there is the obvious problem that gen pop students are not being tested at all.

20 minutes ago, Bartles said:

The tab is nothing compared to the TV income from each game that gets played. P5 schools can do it once per week, though it really should be much more often than that, and there is the obvious problem that gen pop students are not being tested at all.

Oh, I know that....but if you start getting into multiple tests per week, even with TV money, it's gonna sting.  And 15-20K per test is another factor facing the non-P5 schools.  

Using 20K at the upper end, 1 test per player/staff member per week from now until the end of the year is just over $500,000.  Texas laughs at this amount, but Kansas State will be digging through their couch for loose change.

22 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ok but what if, and this is purely theoretical, the coach wasn’t good enough to keep last year but your University kept him anyways and let him hire an almost entirely new coaching staff because he failed at hiring his first coaching staff worse than @SydneyCarton trying to write coherent sentences on his phone? 

Negged for tagging me the cesspool that is the football board. Thats fucking low, man. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, it’s not the message I take issue with, just the delivery point. Maybe next time the hobby forum? 

image.gif.b91354fdb14a58224d2220870239131a.gif

Well, I would tag you in the CR, but that means I would have to go in the CR so it would be too much of a mutually assured destruction sort of thing. 

Testing cost sounds not that much different than putting the entire team and staff up at a hotel for a home game. I know why they do it, but it is something of an extravagance. I know that Wyoming was doing that the year we played, so it's not out of reach for that many schools.

With testing, wouldn't we run into a problem with accuracy of testing, or is there a test reliable enough to be certain enough that players tested are safe?

This may finally obliterate my fanatical interest in UT football.  Between losing a lot and I guess just getting older, my excitement about football season and commitment to Saturdays has been waning.

Don't get me wrong, I have "been here" every Saturday for nearly 30 years.  But the last few seasons, I am more willing to turn it off or ask myself "wtf am I doing here, this is a waste of time."  I am also less resentful of things that pry me away from the TV on Saturdays.

For about the last 10 years or so, I think I have had more fun debating about why coaches fail and talking about "systemic problems' with the football program than actually watching our football games.

• Like 3

This may finally obliterate my fanatical interest in UT football.  Between losing a lot and I guess just getting older, my excitement about football season and commitment to Saturdays has been waning.
Don't get me wrong, I have "been here" every Saturday for nearly 30 years.  But the last few seasons, I am more willing to turn it off or ask myself "wtf am I doing here, this is a waste of time."  I am also less resentful of things that pry me away from the TV on Saturdays.
For about the last 10 years or so, I think I have had more fun debating about why coaches fail and talking about "systemic problems' with the football program than actually watching our football games.

Get a hold of yourself

49f605694b77967fd97aef2bbb41ea95.gif
  • Like 5