College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

What's really ironic is that Hollis, Oklahoma, where DKR  was born, was actually in Greer County, Texas until 1896  i.e. for the first 60 years of Texas' existence. So, if DKR could have been born 28 years earlier, he'd have been a Texan.

Thought I had heard it all about the rivalry.  Cool fact, didn't know...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

What's really ironic is that Hollis, Oklahoma, where DKR  was born, was actually in Greer County, Texas until 1896  i.e. for the first 60 years of Texas' existence. So, if DKR could have been born 28 years earlier, he'd have been a Texan.

Someone needs to review the latest SCOTUS cases, he may have been born on an Indian reservation.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I have pointed out that fact on HF, TOS, and here numerous times. I always regarded DKR as a Texas-born expat.

Fuck the land thieves.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The entire college sports landscape we know today was built on the ever increasing revenue stream from college football. If you remove that revenue stream, modern college athletics becomes completely unfeasible. It makes zero sense to fly a women's softball team to West Virginia for a weekend series, or for that matter the men's swimming team to California for a meet. But football started generating so much goddamned money, every university could support these ridiculous geographic conferences regardless of whether it ever made sense for any particular sport other than football and maybe basketball.

The only reason the season hasn't been cancelled outright already is simply the fact that every athletic director knows that everything gets blown the fuck up without football revenue. AD's are paralyzed, I think they all know trying to play this fall will be a compete clusterfuck and will end in chaos, but the alternative is basically deconstructing their departments and figuring out what the fuck they are going to do with all the long-term debt they are sitting on when their revenues get cut by 50%-70% or more. College athletics is basically staring at 4th and 35 from their own 40 yard line with 10 seconds on the clock and zero timeouts. There is no good hail mary option. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

The entire college sports landscape we know today was built on the ever increasing revenue stream from college football. If you remove that revenue stream, modern college athletics becomes completely unfeasible. It makes zero sense to fly a women's softball team to West Virginia for a weekend series, or for that matter the men's swimming team to California for a meet. But football started generating so much goddamned money, every university could support these ridiculous geographic conferences regardless of whether it ever made sense for any particular sport other than football and maybe basketball.

The only reason the season hasn't been cancelled outright already is simply the fact that every athletic director knows that everything gets blown the fuck up without football revenue. AD's are paralyzed, I think they all know trying to play this fall will be a compete clusterfuck and will end in chaos, but the alternative is basically deconstructing their departments and figuring out what the fuck they are going to do with all the long-term debt they are sitting on when their revenues get cut by 50%-70% or more. College athletics is basically staring at 4th and 35 from their own 40 yard line with 10 seconds on the clock and zero timeouts. There is no good hail mary option. 

Who is the VY equal for an AD?

Well, I didn't like that Thamel column. I don't doubt he has some high up sources being fatalistic as he describes. And it could certainly come to that if the situation stays so dangerous in much of the country for a couple more months.

I am getting tired of people shitting on the pro leagues, even MLS, for their return plans. Those are basically working as intended, with a few hiccups. There were never going to be zero COVID cases when they set those plans. But they've dealt with them and those leagues are still on schedule. It would take some real carelessness by players to shut them down.

As for CFB, of course that is a much bigger challenge. I continue to wish they would stop playing nice and tell the presidents that we need to bubble the FB players on campus and postpone the other sports. Maybe even postpone the general students in many cases. That was heresy a couple months ago, but it could be the only safe way to get the season in and collect the money.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:01 AM, TwiceHorn said:

This may finally obliterate my fanatical interest in UT football.  Between losing a lot and I guess just getting older, my excitement about football season and commitment to Saturdays has been waning.

Don't get me wrong, I have "been here" every Saturday for nearly 30 years.  But the last few seasons, I am more willing to turn it off or ask myself "wtf am I doing here, this is a waste of time."  I am also less resentful of things that pry me away from the TV on Saturdays.

For about the last 10 years or so, I think I have had more fun debating about why coaches fail and talking about "systemic problems' with the football program than actually watching our football games.

This is me (specific team excepted).  Decades long season season tix holder, but I was already going to pass on renewing this year before this happened.  Last season broke the camel's back.  Planning my entire fall around the football schedule, only to be rewarded with dogshit, was getting painful.  Then the last game of the season we cut short our Thanksgiving vacation to scramble back and watch a woeful Cal team kick our ass in freezing cold weather.  At 7:30 pm.  Fuck it.  I figured I could get secondary market tix for 3-4 games of my choosing based on MY schedule, save a shitload, and enjoy the weekends as I saw fit. I still wouldn't miss watching the games on TV, but sacrificing a whole Saturday (or sometimes scrambling home on a Thursday or Friday), all the logistics of it, just was losing its appeal.  Of course, we have been mired in the worst stretch of football in my lifetime, so that helped fuel my indifference.

My hope is that football bubbled on campus would be safe, with frequent testing and isolating and positive cases. The more sports and other students you add, the less safe it becomes. But obviously the main reason to push the issue is to try to salvage such a huge economic engine of the university and community.

I wouldn't force it under today's conditions in Texas. It really needs to be a situation where the community only has maybe a few dozen active cases at most. Honestly, if they announce tomorrow that they are shelving college sports until summer 2021, I wouldn't argue. But I see the international and the US pro leagues and I think it's doable.

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

As for CFB, of course that is a much bigger challenge. I continue to wish they would stop playing nice and tell the presidents that we need to bubble the FB players on campus and postpone the other sports. Maybe even postpone the general students in many cases. That was heresy a couple months ago, but it could be the only safe way to get the season in and collect the money.

Are you saying to postpone the start of school in order to get the CFB season in?  

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Then the last game of the season we cut short our Thanksgiving vacation to scramble back and watch a woeful Cal team kick our ass in freezing cold weather.  At 7:30 pm.  Fuck it.  

lol. At kickoff 48 degrees with winds 4-8 WNW. Game end 47 degrees winds 8-9 NNW. You California folk are so cute.

• Like 1

I really, really, really wish we were gonna see the Longhorns in Action this fall..... but... fucking science and fucking math... At these times I wish I was a dumb Aggie sure the season would go on... Damn math and Science!!!!

I hope I am wrong. But I still remember being an INVICIbLE young college kid.  So.... no college football this season.  It will be a miracle if there are in person classes by the end of September.

Edited by horn4life

I’ll be shocked if there isn’t some form of CFB this fall.   

Do y’all really think the same people who have racked billions off these student athletes, played ostrich to CTE & basically operates with shall we say with a Machiavellian flare, gives two fucks about COVID deaths when they are facing their own?

That quote from Sankey says it best, they’ll simply cap the attendance to mirror the recent hospitalization trends, but they’ll fund a way to get their money & that means football in the fall.   

Don’t shoot the messenger, but P5 CFB will be played this fall to some degree.

• Fuck You 2

10 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Are you saying to postpone the start of school in order to get the CFB season in?  

I meant bump all in-person classes back to spring so there are hardly any students on campus. Creates a better chance to successfully bubble the football team. It will never happen, but with the amount of money at stake I'm surprised it's not even considered.

I meant bump all in-person classes back to spring so there are hardly any students on campus. Creates a better chance to successfully bubble the football team. It will never happen, but with the amount of money at stake I'm surprised it's not even considered.

I was hoping I just misunderstood your meaning. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees. Your priorities are seriously fucked up. Cardel “ We ain’t come here to play school” Jones must be your hero. 

• Like 1

Because it’s a non starter. Amateur sports aren’t going to play while kicking kids to online school. 

• Like 1

I'm just stating the obvious. The FB money supports much more than just the 15-foot waterfall in the locker room or whatever. Entire communities depend on it, so for this season I don't have a problem prioritizing the football team. And also other essential student groups who are working on the medical and community support fronts of the virus battle. What the team does ($$$) goes hand-in-hand with medical research and local food drives in a time of crisis.

Whether the players should be paid more or have to attend class at all is another topic. Yeah, the whole system has been off the rails for a while.

12 hours ago, horn4life said:

It will be a miracle if there are in person classes by the end of September.

my daughter (no pix) is working from home this coming fall semester (Katy).  4 of 5 classes are online and the 5th is "hybrid" whatever that means.  No college football trips this fall for me in any case.

Edited by CycleTex87

5 minutes ago, Big Frog II said:

Texas Motor Speedway is hosting a race this weekend at 50% capacity.  Will be interesting to see if they can pull it off safely.  I would imagine are Athletic Directors will be watching closely.

Why? It has nothing to do with successfully pulling off a CFB season.