College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Or, you know, we could get our flu shot every year.

Still have like 60-80k deaths on bad years and its not even close to 100% effective. While I agree with the sentiment, if people want to get the vaccine whenever it comes out, that is fine. The idea that this disease should prevent college football from happening (if no crowds) is not based in science at all. In fact it is at the highest level of fear based decision making. 

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Imagine if we cancel a season for a virus with over a 99.5% survival rate (and for the kiddos it's like 99.9%+). Just cut the crowds and play the games. The kids will be fine and if the coaches are worried about covid than they can sit out or zoom in. I'll gladly coach in their place and take their massive salaries. 

But optics and liability. 

Your claim of 99.5% survival rate was disproven weeks ago when you originally posted it. Want to do it again?

USA 4,171,358 +1,040 147,364

147K divided by 4.2M is 3.7%

Edited by Irieguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Still have like 60-80k deaths on bad years and its not even close to 100% effective. While I agree with the sentiment, if people want to get the vaccine whenever it comes out, that is fine. The idea that this disease should prevent college football from happening (if no crowds) is not based in science at all. In fact it is at the highest level of fear based decision making. 

Well now we get to combine both a flu season and a fall COVID spike together! Will that make you realize what situation we’re facing this fall?

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Well now we get to combine both a flu season and a fall COVID spike together! Will that make you realize what situation we’re facing this fall?

Players survival rate will still far exceed anything worth considering a risk. I already said no crowds is fine. Players being "at risk" is a laughable claim. 

9 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

Your claim of 99.5% survival rate was disproven weeks ago when you originally posted it. Want to do it again?

Ah yes, because every case has been tested and accounted for. Again there are many, many people who got it and never knew. There were several studies in LA, Boston, and New York that suggested that many people had contracted covid and survived, on the order of several magnitudes higher than what the testing would show. Don't be intentionally dense. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Imagine if we cancel a season for a virus with over a 99.5% survival rate (and for the kiddos it's like 99.9%+). Just cut the crowds and play the games. The kids will be fine and if the coaches are worried about covid than they can sit out or zoom in. I'll gladly coach in their place and take their massive salaries. 

But optics and liability. 

The survival rate is one thing. Having a life long condition because we wanted to see football games is a bit different. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, 4th&Five said:

The survival rate is one thing. Having a life long condition because we wanted to see football games is a bit different. 

Life long conditions for a 20 year old? I can buy that argument for an at risk 65 year old fan. But a player? Come on. NBA players aren't even showing symptoms when they get it. Same with these college football players testing positive. 

4 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Life long conditions for a 20 year old? I can buy that argument for an at risk 65 year old fan. But a player? Come on. NBA players aren't even showing symptoms when they get it. Same with these college football players testing positive. 

Show me an NBA player that looks like a D1 offensive lineman. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Herpa Derpa said:

You made an easily disproven claim. It was disproven. Now, you're making it again.

Instead of having the balls to say, "you're right, I was being a bit hyperbolic to make a point," you double down on your easily disproven claim with a backpedaling, goalpost moving, flow of bullshit.

It's obstinate stupidity such as this as to why there will be no full college football season this fall. Could have been, if shitheels like yourself simply exercised the minimal amount of personal responsibility. Thanks for your contribution to the birth of our Idiocracy.

It is well documented that the 20 year old population is at the same risk from covid that they are with the flu, which is almost none at all. Also, an ad hominem that presumes I am somehow at fault for a spike is preposterous. I wear a mask everywhere I go, I have at risk family members that I see every other weekend. And I will reiterate, the presence of antibodies indicates previous exposure and the studies that have been conducted indicated that the antibodies in the background are at a much higher rate than what is being tested positive. 

16 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Players survival rate will still far exceed anything worth considering a risk. I already said no crowds is fine. Players being "at risk" is a laughable claim. 

What about player’s families? Are they just going to be sequestered from them for 5 months? I would imagine that many family members are at risk preventing them from being around their families. Yes, the players will probably, most likely, be fine. But they don’t live in a bubble. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What about player’s families? Are they just going to be sequestered from them for 5 months? I would imagine that many family members are at risk preventing them from being around their families. Yes, the players will probably, most likely, be fine. But they don’t live in a bubble. 

They live on campus, away from their families. They can wear a mask like we all do around our at risk family members. And they will be getting tested so frequently they will know exactly when they are a risk and not. 

Who gives a shit?!?!? They get a free education! They’re here for our amusement!

14 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

It is well documented that the 20 year old population is at the same risk from covid that they are with the flu, which is almost none at all. Also, an ad hominem that presumes I am somehow at fault for a spike is preposterous. I wear a mask everywhere I go, I have at risk family members that I see every other weekend. And I will reiterate, the presence of antibodies indicates previous exposure and the studies that have been conducted indicated that the antibodies in the background are at a much higher rate than what is being tested positive. 

You are changing your argument. You said 99.5% survival rate. That is simply untrue. Just admit you posted a made up number to bolster your argument. Intellectual honesty please. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

You are changing your argument. You said 99.5% survival rate. That is simply untrue. Just admit you posted a made up number to bolster your argument. Intellectual honesty please. 

I didn't, I based it on the background antibody studies but you are gonna dispute my sources to the death and say they are fake news. Which is fine, whatever. So lets discuss the players. Tons of college athletes around the country acquiring covid and none are dead or in critical condition. The concern of spreading it to the family is ridiculous because they will be the most highly tested people in the population and will be living on campus. They can wear a mask and quarantine when appropriate.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ncaa-board-of-governors-vote-could-strike-significant-blow-to-fbs-college-football-being-played-this-fall/

NCAA Board of Governors vote could strike significant blow to FBS college football being played this fall

Though a vote would not directly impact the FBS, it could be the first domino to force a major change

The likelihood of the 2020 college football season being played this fall just entered another DEFCON level. Call it what you want -- a tipping point, high alert, Judgment Day.

On Friday, the NCAA Board of Governors is scheduled to consider voting on whether to cancel fall championships. One source told CBS Sports that is the only agenda item for the NCAA's highest governing body.

In essence, Friday could become that go/no go moment for the college football season.

While the vote -- in the moment -- would have no direct or immediate impact on the FBS, the implications of such a decision are significant, layered, complicated and maybe tragic.

While the season probably isn't going to go away Friday, it soon could. Through that board -- mostly presidents and chancellors from all NCAA divisions -- the association has more leverage than ever over major-college football, a sport of which it has largely lost oversight.

The FBS -- particularly the Power Five conferences -- has mostly been autonomous from the NCAA for years. The NCAA doesn't stage an FBS championship. That is controlled by the 130 teams, their conferences, their commissioners, ESPN and the College Football Playoff.

With Friday's vote, the board could win back some of that lost turf while backing the FBS football into a corner.

That corner? Well, how would it look if the NCAA isn't staging fall championships in 22 sports but those 130 FBS programs decided to soldier onward, basically on their own?

Answer: not good.

It's tremendously bad optics, for starters. Several conferences and teams in lower divisions have already decided not to play at sports at all in the fall.

Meanwhile, for months, the Power Five and the rest of FBS have been balancing the "need" to play -- and earn the revenue that comes from those games -- with the wisdom of playing at all amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The players are still, after all, amateurs with little say in how they're returning to play in the fog of COVID-19.

"We are watching a slow-motion disaster," Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) said Thursday during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing.

Perhaps. Some of the game's power brokers in the FBS have aggressively urged the board not to cancel fall sports because they know how it would look.

West Virginia athletic director Shane Lyons -- current chair of the NCAA Football Oversight Committee -- wrote to the board this week: "Feedback has consistently indicated that preserving a football season in the fall in some format is strongly preferred."

Yes, but at what cost? FBS football had already been moving, in fits and starts, toward an ultimate decision that may come next week or two.

However, the Power Five has shown a willingness to kick the can down the road before it has to delay, postpone or cancel the season. A late start, two-semester football, even football in Spring 2021 are on the table.

Before any of that transpires, the Big Ten and Pac-12 have already moved to conference-only schedules. The SEC, ACC and Big 12 will supposedly decide their near-term futures by the end of the month.

Few expect any of them to postpone the season. Not yet.  

"The impact of the virus can shift dramatically from week to week," Lyons reminded the board.

Whether hope is a strategy in that regard remains to be seen.

Both the NCAA and big-time football have long been criticized for favoring profit over academics, athletes' rights and safety. The pandemic has separated them into different silos in this moment.

Blumenthal was part of a group of legislators this week who grilled NCAA president Mark Emmert regarding name, image and likeness legislation. Emmert continues to ask Congress for an antitrust exemption in implementing NIL.

"You're asking us for antitrust exemption … and time is not on your side," Blumenthal told Emmert.

It's not like major-college football can't afford it. Football remains the financial driver of major-college sports. Football revenue accounts for 80% of the average FBS athletic budget. Overall, it is a $4 billion enterprise.

We may need football for our mental well-being, but there are schools that need football to continue operating an athletic department.

Among those 22 fall sports that could effectively be canceled by the NCAA are FCS, Division II and Division III football. Those divisions stage playoffs, just not ones as lucrative as the College Football Playoff.

You see, if there are no fall championships, there may be teams and conferences in those 22 sports that just don't play. And who could blame them?

Then, how would that look if big-time football kept going? That's why Friday is becoming an inflection point. Right and wrong meet corporate politics.

The coronavirus has already heightened an existing uneasiness between the Power Five and the NCAA. Could this be the issue that causes those schools to eventually break off on their own?

If so, at what expense, if this becomes perceived as a sort of power play and even one player becomes hospitalized?

Meanwhile, the NCAA can rest comfortably on the moral high ground. It swiftly canceled the NCAA Tournament followed by winter and spring championships in March after the pandemic hit.

No one can argue against that. The board's latest decision is about more than safety. This time, the right thing to do not only involves prudence, ethics and health but also football-shaped dollar signs.

"The decisions that the board of governors make … will be very, very pivotal," Emmert said Wednesday.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So no examples? Got it

It's been far from "tons." Your suggestion that you need to wait to see a college player die before you take it seriously is beyond moronic. It's well proven that both transmissibility and mortality are higher with Covid than in the flu, but you put your fingers in your ears. There is an obvious risk to coaches, staff, and families of all, but you likewise stick your fingers in your ears.  The point that the virus poses a low risk to college athletes is perfectly fine and true. But your outright refusal to accept facts and your doubling down on hyperbolic idiocies is what's preventing you from being taken seriously by a single person with fully adult cognitive abilities. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, LTbear said:

It's been far from "tons." Your suggestion that you need to wait to see a college player die before you take it seriously is beyond moronic. It's well proven that both transmissibility and mortality are higher with Covid than in the flu, but you put your fingers in your ears. There is an obvious risk to coaches, staff, and families of all, but you likewise stick your fingers in your ears.  The point that the virus poses a low risk to college athletes is perfectly fine and true. But your outright refusal to accept facts and your doubling down on hyperbolic idiocies is what's preventing you from being taken seriously by a single person with fully adult cognitive abilities. 

There hasn't even been one in critical condition. Are we shutting down seasons over a bad outbreak of the flu? Is MJ a piece of shit for playing with the flu in Utah? He wasn't social distancing. 

9 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

It's cute you think covid is suddenly gonna turn into a massive killer. A football player is just as likely to hospitalized by the flu as they are by covid. Their risk is as close to 0% as you can really get. You see all these NBA players getting it, any of them dead yet? I will hang up and listen. 

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Comparing wars or bad events to illnesses is pretty dumb. 

US flu deaths are also more than deaths on 9/11... fuck, better pack it up and shut everything down until we eradicate the flu. 

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Ah yes, because every case has been tested and accounted for. Again there are many, many people who got it and never knew. There were several studies in LA, Boston, and New York that suggested that many people had contracted covid and survived, on the order of several magnitudes higher than what the testing would show. Don't be intentionally dense. 

Tons of NCAA football players have tested/are testing positive for covid as we speak. Show me one that is dead or in critical condition. 

They live on campus, away from their families. They can wear a mask like we all do around our at risk family members. And they will be getting tested so frequently they will know exactly when they are a risk and not. 

So no examples? Got it

I didn't, I based it on the background antibody studies but you are gonna dispute my sources to the death and say they are fake news. Which is fine, whatever. So lets discuss the players. Tons of college athletes around the country acquiring covid and none are dead or in critical condition. The concern of spreading it to the family is ridiculous because they will be the most highly tested people in the population and will be living on campus. They can wear a mask and quarantine when appropriate.  

Shit takes are shit.

main-qimg-70287afa23c2fbd0cd7d7fea6a4571

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

There hasn't even been one in critical condition. Are we shutting down seasons over a bad outbreak of the flu? Is MJ a piece of shit for playing with the flu in Utah? He wasn't social distancing. 

*Tripling down

34 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Point of order, he had food poisoning because people in Utah are shit.  

Back to your arguing.

3 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

tl;dr:  That's just the way it is

Please shut the fuck up and read this.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-us-death-rate-for-covid-19-is-50-times-higher-than-the-flu

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

A lot of these schools and conferences that are cancelling their fall season are ones that do not have the resources to test continually throughout the season.  Those that do have resources and the testing equipment should be able to navigate through the fall, and obviously you wouldn't want to play a school that does not have the same protocol as you.

4 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Damn 60-80k? Good thing everyone gets their flu shots, we all wear masks and practice social distancing during flu season. 

How simpletons like you can’t grasp this is simply astonishing. I fucking love it when I hear “it’s just the flu!!!” WHO WANTS THE FUCKING FLU!?!?!?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Hornsby, are you going to prevent them from copulating with their favorites or the catch of the day?  Good luck with that.  Your desperation to deny is unbecoming.  Over the years I have found much common ground with you.  Please, stop beating the dead horse.  The fact that none of them are dead does not fucking matter one iota.  We do not know what the long term effects are _for certain_ _at this time_ but studies are showing it's possible to suffer a long-term single standard deviation of IQ, and permanent damage to major organs.  We have already obliterated the social safety net in this country.  Who is going to pay for 10 million people that can't work or support themselves IF that is the reality that comes to pass, which, at this time, we can not rule out?

Please, for the sake of the thread, please stand down.

• Hook 'Em 1

More than 14.7 million people have been infected with SARS-CoV-2 across the globe, and over 609,000 people have died, with nearly a quarter of the fatalities in the U.S., according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. That means that among confirmed global cases, roughly 4.2% of those people died.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/how-deadly-is-covid-19-researchers-are-getting-closer-to-an-answer-11595323801

As the article says, that’s different than the research trying to pinpoint a fatality rate, because actual infections could be 6 or 24x the number of officially reported cases.

That research—examining deaths out of the total number of infections, which includes unreported cases—suggests that Covid-19 kills from around 0.3% to 1.5% of people infected. Most studies put the rate between 0.5% and 1.0%, meaning that for every 1,000 people who get infected, from five to 10 would die on average.”

Of course this only discusses death and not long term effects, such as permanent lung damage.  It’s not like everyone who doesn’t die is just fine. Those risks should be considered too. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Irieguy said:

The CDC's "Current Best Estimate" for the overall Infection Fatality Rate ("IFR") of COVID-19 is 0.65%: CDC: COVID 19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios (Previously, this estimate was 0.25%, but they raised it several weeks ago.)  The IFR for older individuals is substantially higher than for younger individuals.  

Using the raw number of confirmed cases as the denominator overestimates the true fatality rate, because it excludes the numerous people who never get tested either due to (1) minimal symptoms; or (2) no recognized symptoms.

Of course, death is only one bad outcome resulting from COVID.  The hospitalization rate for this disease for both younger and older individuals is much higher than other infectious diseases.  

7 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

https://www.9news.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/colorado-mesa-university-student-dies-covid-19/73-156870a3-ed07-4570-a917-c9926cfb39f5

Colorado Mesa University students dies of COVID-19

Cody Lyster was a criminal justice major who played on the club baseball team.

Published: 12:39 PM MDT April 8, 2020

• Hook 'Em 1