College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

8 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

What about player’s families? Are they just going to be sequestered from them for 5 months? I would imagine that many family members are at risk preventing them from being around their families. Yes, the players will probably, most likely, be fine. But they don’t live in a bubble. 

And this has what to do with having a football season? (They are around families more often with no season)

2 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

What about the grocers, bartenders, trainers, gas station, attendants, cops, aka people??  Do they all disappear when you cancel football? 

And what about Comic Con? Are those people going to disappear too?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

For the players, a strong argument can me made the structure and isolation of being in football at school is much safer than being scattered in their hometown without any accountability or structure. Are there any teams/schools that have yet to report? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Notre Dame and OU have shown that you can make it with 0 positives. The question is more will there be enough teams that can do the same and not be constantly shut down or in quarantine. 

Right. Once players are on campus and under supervision of coaches and trainers I can definitely see you can control this. Clemson had players report and 30 something players tested positive but I think they have it under control now. 

Just now, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I was there for the massacre. And yes it's in the middle of nowhere. 

1.thumb.png.46a528df3cfac05e7536b50a8e41c64a.png

90 minutes from Chicago is not “the middle of nowhere”. You keep using that term but I’m not sure you know what it means. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

90 minutes from Chicago is not “the middle of nowhere”. You keep using that term but I’m not sure you know what it means. 

Also, that term or idiom is relative. There is no specific criteria or distance to validate its use. And I can assure you, as someone who lived in Chicago, many people there feel like any drive over 30 minutes is a road trip. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

For the players, a strong argument can me made the structure and isolation of being in football at school is much safer than being scattered in their hometown without any accountability or structure. Are there any teams/schools that have yet to report? 

And are there any 'reports' suggesting that quarantine is a practice limit loophole?

I mean, what does a quarantined football team do all day?

40 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Yeah I remember a British grad student was bemused at how we use the word "near."

The Yahoo pod said UND is staying in a hotel, basically an NBA style bubble. When you see something like Rutgers and MSU, that's what people are worried about...pretty obvious guys who were together all caught it and passed to one another. That might be from practice or training, or it might be from a house party. We'll probably never know.

Another concern is if that MSU report had come out on a game week, they probably just isolate the two cases while everyone else plays. And just hope for the best...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bartles said:

The Yahoo pod said UND is staying in a hotel, basically an NBA style bubble. When you see something like Rutgers and MSU, that's what people are worried about...pretty obvious guys who were together all caught it and passed to one another. That might be from practice or training, or it might be from a house party. We'll probably never know.

Another concern is if that MSU report had come out on a game week, they probably just isolate the two cases while everyone else plays. And just hope for the best...

Definitely. And these are both BIg 10 teams and they've extended their offseason at least a few weeks by cancelling non-conference. They won't forfeit a game with 1 positive case on their team....they'll just have that player sit out for the game

12 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Saying it’s 90 minutes from Chicago as a excuse for not being the middle of nowhere may be the dumbest argument I’ve ever read on this site lol.   College station is a  suburb of Houston too I guess.... 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Also, that term or idiom is relative. There is no specific criteria or distance to validate its use. And I can assure you, as someone who lived in Chicago, many people there feel like any drive over 30 minutes is a road trip. 

I'm going to assume you mean 30 minutes from the city limits. Most mornings (pre C-19) it's 50 minutes from downtown to O'Hare!

Edited by 927 E. 41st
Screwed by spell check

Play or no play all boils down to one factor, no school wants to be the first to have a player hospitalized with the 'rona, never mind die from it. Some of the larger schools that can afford frequent testing will no doubt take that risk, just hope it works out..

i feel like this season is just going to be one big series of basically exhibition games. canceled games throughout, teams playing without all their players, teams playing partial seasons...playoffs, bowl games, CCGs all fairly meaningless... this entire season is going to have a big asterisk.

it might finally be the year aggy has been waiting for! 😝

Edited by mchookem
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ousux said:

Play or no play all boils down to one factor, no school wants to be the first to have a player hospitalized with the 'rona, never mind die from it. Some of the larger schools that can afford frequent testing will no doubt take that risk, just hope it works out..

A player's older family member dying in a situation where the player appears likely to have caught it via football is just as devastating of a scenario as yours too. Don't sleep on that. If that happens once, the whole thing is done with for the year. 

I won't go quite as far as meaningless, but yeah, teams without all their players in half full (or less) stadiums kinda takes a lot of the edge off it. Luck and injuries have always played a factor, but what does a team do if this wipes out an entire position because they have all been in the same room? I wouldn't like to lose that way, and winning that way isn't satisfying.

Edited by 927 E. 41st

10 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Saying it’s 90 minutes from Chicago as a excuse for not being the middle of nowhere may be the dumbest argument I’ve ever read on this site lol.   College station is a  suburb of Houston too I guess.... 

hey, that fucking aggy highway will be done in a couple years

21 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

hey, that fucking aggy highway will be done in a couple years

There is nothing more Aggie than building a toll road alternative to College station when there is a free alternative that is also being upgraded / will be finished sooner.

And yet I’m pretty sure that all the north Houston Aggies will take it and spend $12 each way to save 5 minutes and to have the pleasure to drive on the ‘Aggie Highway’

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Can we just fast forward to the part where one side or the other gets to say "I told you so?"

I check this site so rarely these days, I've almost forgotten how to be a surly asshole.

So... what sites are you visiting instead??