College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

8 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

They shortened the season during that other pandemic too.  During the years of the curse, no one mentioned there should be an asterisk next to what was then the last BoSox World Series win.  This guy got sick but recovered.

Babe_Ruth_Red_Sox_1918.jpg?w=791

The 1918 season was shortened due to US involvement in World War I, not the Spanish Flu.

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

The 1918 season was shortened due to US involvement in World War I, not the Spanish Flu.

Schedules were shortened because of the war but games were canceled due to the pandemic. For example, according to historian Jack Park, 20 of the 30 games scheduled in the Midwest on Oct 12 were canceled because of "the plague." Michigan had games against Cornell and Minnesota canceled due to wartime travel restrictions and replaced them with games against Camp Custer and Mount Vernon. Both of those games were canceled because of the pandemic. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Schedules were shortened because of the war but games were canceled due to the pandemic. For example, according to historian Jack Park, 20 of the 30 games scheduled in the Midwest on Oct 12 were canceled because of "the plague." Michigan had games against Cornell and Minnesota canceled due to wartime travel restrictions and replaced them with games against Camp Custer and Mount Vernon. Both of those games were canceled because of the pandemic. 

The A&M AD just got a wonderful idea.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Idk Camp Custer sounds like real army 

Gimme a company of Camp Custer soldiers, and I can get slaughtered by the Sioux.

Gimme an army of A&M "soldiers" and we'll never find the battlefield, build a fort in the wrong place, and be made combat ineffective after it collapses on us. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Talking to one of my coworkers who has family well into the booster/admin of an SEC school got the following information yesterday.

- They will be playing football

- They are going to focus on starting around October, and only in conference games

- All non-conference games are canceled, and those open weekends after September will be used to move conference games that were planned on occurring in September to later in the year.

- Current ticket holders would "likely" be able to attend, but no more tickets will be sold

If in fact this is true, and the B12 mimics the SEC plan, we actually start conference in October, so no need to move any games around.

26 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Talking to one of my coworkers who has family well into the booster/admin of an SEC school got the following information yesterday.

- They are going to focus on starting around October, and only in conference games

- All non-conference games are canceled, and those open weekends after September will be used to move conference games that were planned on occurring in September to later in the year.

- Current ticket holders would "likely" be able to attend, but no more tickets will be sold

If in fact this is true, and the B12 mimics the SEC plan, we actually start conference in October, so no need to move any games around.

The SEC was always gong to be the last one to cancel anything.  Those people would sooner sacrifice their first born than the CFB season.  And the majority are part of the Covidiocracy who think this is the flu at worst.  So it's football first, football second, football third, player safety fourth, and fan safety... eh fuck 'em.  I still say a CFB season is a pipe dream in 2020. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

The SEC was always gong to be the last one to cancel anything.  Those people would sooner sacrifice their first born than the CFB season.  And the majority are part of the Covidiocracy who think this is the flu at worst.  So it's football first, football second, football third, player safety fourth, and fan safety... eh fuck 'em.  I still say a CFB season is a pipe dream in 2020. 

Sucks for the players too. Eats up a year of eligibility.

42 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Yeah.... that's their position until it's not.

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

This.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Chet Steadman said:

This fall is going to be so damn depressing.  

You have to look at things in a positive light. Instead of bemoaning the loss of college football, utilize your time during the fall learning a new skill, such as crocheting or dismemberment of small animals. Become more confident in yourself and be the best you!  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

While you are busy casting stones at the southern states did you forget that your state of California is current doing the worst right now with Covid? 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

While you are busy casting stones at the southern states did you forget that your state of California is current doing the worst right now with Covid? 

No, and I never suggested otherwise.  My only comment was that the CFB season will be pried from them kicking and screaming.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

You have to look at things in a positive light. Instead of bemoaning the loss of college football, utilize your time during the fall learning a new skill, such as crocheting or dismemberment of small animals. Become more confident in yourself and be the best you!  

Baylor baseball’s got you covered on the dismemberment of small animals. ¡Que viva Queso!

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/play-dead-6378332

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

And rest assured, I was casting them specifically at the SEC.  They are a "special" breed of southern state.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Ohio State is cancelling a Skull Session? WTF? I am assuming this is a satanic ritual, where the Northerners ejaculate into a skull instead of a generic jar. Nobody tell aggie that this works.

By the way, I've always been agnostic, but I'm willing to go full on skull-sessioning devil worshiper if we can beat both Oklahoma schools, and TCU, in the same year. I'll slaughter goats, draw pentagrams on the ground, Hieros Gamos with the Pom Squad, whatever it takes. I'm silly like that. I just wanted to put that out there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Ohio State is cancelling a Skull Session? WTF? I am assuming this is a satanic ritual, where the Northerners ejaculate into a skull instead of a generic jar. Nobody tell aggie that this works.

By the way, I've always been agnostic, but I'm willing to go full on skull-sessioning devil worshiper if we can beat both Oklahoma schools, and TCU, in the same year. I'll slaughter goats, draw pentagrams on the ground, Hieros Gamos with the Pom Squad, whatever it takes. I'm silly like that. I just wanted to put that out there.

Well, it worked 2x this century (2002 & 2014), I think 2014 only worked 'cause none wanted to possibly deal with Baylor vs TCU in CFP..?

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I was strictly talking about Major League Baseball.

5 hours ago, MoJames said:

....and if things don't change prior to the start, huge spike in cases and deaths, families and neighbors take a particularly hard hit.  Then well known star players will be hit, some will die.  Damn, football will be ruined/tarnished forever, but hey, dammit we had football.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Everyone knows SEC country is full of the highest percentage of dumbfucks in America.  Everyone also knows college football is about all they have in the majority of those shithole states. 

Oh, and per capita, FL is doing the 'worst' as you put it.  Last I checked a large swath of that state can be considered SEC country.  Some of it even annexed by aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Worst thing will be if CDC gives Herman some bullshit additional extension after this season gets canceled.

It may be bullshit, but not giving an extension would send the wrong signal to potential recruits..and give competing coaches like Fatterson real ammo for neg recruiting,

8 hours ago, ousux said:
20 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:
Worst thing will be if CDC gives Herman some bullshit additional extension after this season gets canceled.

It may be bullshit, but not giving an extension would send the wrong signal to potential recruits..and give competing coaches like Fatterson real ammo for neg recruiting,

He's being negatively recruited now for not producing any NFL talent (hopefully 2021 draft changes that), not consistently winning and having high staff churn. IDMAS. If you fall into the "we could be negatively recruited" trap you'll never get out of it.

13 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Man are we careening towards this season.

The more we push the decisions back, the less likely we will have a successful season.

The insistence on a fall schedule creates a huge risk here.

This more than ever shows that the FBS needs a commissioner of all the power leagues.

Spring Football gives you time.

Why is this not being discussed on a FBS level?

Just now, 927 E. 41st said:

I wonder about that too. Could it be that the hassle factor/ expense of having Spring football then trying to have Fall football is just too great for some  programs? 

No doubt it's hard.

And maybe that is the case.

But you have time to try and figure it out.

If we get 3 games in and cancel a whole football season,  that is worse IMO... and a highly likely scenario.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

No doubt it's hard.

And maybe that is the case.

But you have time to try and figure it out.

If we get 3 games in and cancel a whole football season,  that is worse IMO... and a highly likely scenario.

It would be worse from our perspective as fans, but they would get some income from it and be able to say "well, we tried". I'm sure they have been working overtime on the spreadsheets, and likely have a stack of contingency plans that rivals the DOD.

16 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

It would be worse from our perspective as fans, but they would get some income from it and be able to say "well, we tried". I'm sure they have been working overtime on the spreadsheets, and likely have a stack of contingency plans that rivals the DOD.

Probably.

My guess is also there might be insurance if the season is canceled in the fall.

If they can try and start as 'normal' and it gets canceled then they get the payout? IDK.

Is there a contractual obligation for it to be in fall? IDK.

Postponing to spring may not offer any luxury if they don't make the $ and that's what the driver is here.

Student athlete health and fan health are obviously only secondary concerns and not the primary drivers.