College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

There are 3 eras in College Football:

Antique era (47 years)

6 November 1889 (Rutgers 6 - Princeton 4)

1 January 1936 (last games of the antique era - 1935 bowl games)

Golden era (48 years)

20 October 1936 (First AP Writer's Poll)

20 March 1984 (0u Regents v. NCAA argued)

Money era (30 years)

27 June 1984 (0u Regents 1 - NCAA 0)

6 January 2014 (last BCS final)

Modern era (<6 years)

27 August 2014 (first game of the Playoff era)

It took 30 years to figure out how to put 4 teams in a post-season bracket.  Their contingency plans are "wing it".

Looks like you might want to re-count your eras.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wow, I'm not surprised about the conference only.  i am VERY surprised they pushed it back to 9/26.  No chance they play a 12/19 title game.  Laughable.  

Why not start in August and finish by November? 

Edited by Js1

WOW, they're starting 3-4 weeks later than other leagues and SEC champ game is Dec. 19?!?

I want to say good on them for giving the region more time to get its shit together re: virus. But I can't help but think it's mainly motivated by a desire to get fans in the stadium.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wow, I'm not surprised about the conference only.  i am VERY surprised they pushed it back to 9/26.  No chance they play a 12/19 title game.  Laughable.  

Why not start in August and finish by November? 

I'm actually very surprised by the conference only part. The ACC built in a plus one OOC and it was pretty much understood that it was added to preserve the annual rivalry games between acc/sec teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

So, Big 12 and ACC going to do a conference challenge against each other to fill the plus 1, or just all cancel OOC or beat up on some directional school that is still playing football?

I support the conference challenge model, with OU playing Clemson and us taking on Duke.  

Well the Big 12 just cancelled virtual media days.  I'd say a new plan is coming. 

Awesome to watch Bowlsby lead from behind. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So, Big 12 and ACC going to do a conference challenge against each other to fill the plus 1, or just all cancel OOC or beat up on some directional school that is still playing football?
I support the conference challenge model, with OU playing Clemson and us taking on Duke.  

ACC adopted ND. Big 12 is left with the other independents.

It’ll be North Carolina. Heels win 52-10, we all get closure
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If Big 12 goes Conference +1, who will our +1 be? 

I'm guessing it has to be an in-state foe? 

UTEP?

Now this would be glorious if our +1 is UTEP, Texas State, or a Rice while aggy gets to drop the likes of those teams and adds Florida and maybe a Kentucky.

36 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Now this would be glorious if our +1 is UTEP, Texas State, or a Rice while aggy gets to drop the likes of those teams and adds Florida and maybe a Kentucky.

Doubt it. I assume C-USA will also go to all conference, and they have 14 teams so would not schedule out of conference (which lineages Rice and UTEP).  Sun Belt only has 10 football, so Texas State could be a possibility

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

WOW, they're starting 3-4 weeks later than other leagues and SEC champ game is Dec. 19?!?

I want to say good on them for giving the region more time to get its shit together re: virus. But I can't help but think it's mainly motivated by a desire to get fans in the stadium.

FWIW, college football traditionally started at the end of September, and wrapped up at or before Thanksgiving.  Labor Day kickoffs are a 'tradition' invented for cable tv. 

4 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

FWIW, college football traditionally started at the end of September, and wrapped up at or before Thanksgiving.  Labor Day kickoffs are a 'tradition' invented for cable tv. 

This would be way better than fucking December 19. Jesus 

Seems like BYU would be a fine add for a year. The Mormons have to be getting desperate by now - I think they've lost 6 games. Also, what a shitty year for them - easily the best schedule they'd been able to put together as an independent, with 6 P5 teams, and *poof*.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Seems like BYU would be a fine add for a year. The Mormons have to be getting desperate by now - I think they've lost 6 games. Also, what a shitty year for them - easily the best schedule they'd been able to put together as an independent, with 6 P5 teams, and *poof*.

Utah, Michigan State, Arizona State, Minnesota, Missouri and Stanford all gone from the schedule.  There's really only one non-P5 school I look forward to playing and it's Boise State, atleast we still have them on the schedule (unless the MWC goes conference only).  

Edited by TeddyBearStallion

We will play the same number of exhibition games that they do before the season is cancelled.

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

New plan:  due to OOC games being cancelled, the Big 12 will expand our post round robin championship game to a best of 5 series between the 1st place team and the runner up.

With Bowlsby it will probably be a best of 5 series between the 1st place team and the last place team.