College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

6 minutes ago, Alex Karev said:

I could care less if the Pac-12 ever plays another down of football at this point. If they play they play.  They are just playing games to see what they can accomplish to play a game....

How much less?  Enough to type three more characters?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'd love to know who wrote that fucking list of demands. It sounds like the California Teacher's Union and the PAC 12 player's rep used the same negotiator. 

If 20-somethings  have learned anything over the last 2 months, it's that you might as well shoot for the moon and see where you land. But this isn't going to be like CHAZ/CHOP. The PAC 12 will call their bluff and cancel the season and pick this bullshit up next year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

The players will fold.  They’ll have some way to save face and act like whatever fig leaf the schools give them really was a great deal, but ultimately (a) they want to play football and (b) they are the ones who stand to lose the most if they refuse to perform their side of the deal that got them into PAC 12 athletics in the first place.

I mean, if there were ever a time when they could try to hold up the machine for some compensation it’s definitely now, but their problem is still ultimately that they need to play worse than the schools need them to play.  

The extreme opening position might especially hurt them in this case, because like lots of businesses, I bet a lot of athletic departments probably would save more money if they have an excuse to cancel all sports instead of trying to go forward with only 25 % (or zero) paid attendance at games, reduced schedules that don’t fill up the usual tv contracts, etc.   If football is fucked this year anyway, then they definitely are better off pulling the plug on everything.   Don’t give them a reason.

Except for schools that need revenue to service debt on CapEx. 

9 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Those schools will be the least receptive to a proposal that they increase their operating costs while giving half the revenue to the players.   They might even have a better argument for a force majeure claim with the lender depending on the loan agreement if there’s essentially a labor strike that makes football impossible.  Regardless, they’re only really losing if they thought the revenue would be substantial enough to cover the debt if they play, which probably isn’t the case if they can’t have fans at football games but still have to operate all their money losing sports.

The court case on a labor strike by “amateurs” would be fascinating. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I support the greater cause these guys are backing, but (like most things 18-22 year olds come up with) this isn’t the way to go about it, especially “we want half the money”. Are they proposing that all non-self funding sports are dropped? Good luck with your next 3-way with a volleyball player and gymnast, guys....

Not when it comes to monetizing their product; in that regard the NFL crushes the other three. The biggest issue they’re going to have is that there’s almost no way to pull off an Orlando-style bubble with 120-yard playing surfaces and 55-man rosters vs 30-yard courts and 12-man rosters....

They could do it at the Disney sports complex. They could book out an entire resort to stay isolated. There’s at least a dozen soccer/football fields and room for plenty more. Maybe they’d have to be reconfigured for NFL field sizes or camera podiums and the like but they don’t have stands so that shouldn’t be difficult. They could easy operate a half dozen games simultaneously if they wanted to.

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

This thing is unsurprising, considering the times we are in, but it's still a shitshow for College Football. If this movement really takes hold around the other conferences, I expect an NFL Developmental league to spring up soon.

Will it be as popular as the NBA Development League?  And I'm not even sure if it's called that anymore - I think they tried to rebrand to boost the profile or something.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Lol this is going to play well in recruiting

Won't matter.  They aren't rolling in 4-stars and 5-stars, and they aren't an Ohio State or Stanford who can turn 3-stars into decent NFL draftees.  They can just start tossing scholarships around at 3-stars in California or Texas and quickly fill their roster if needed, because the country is full of 3-stars looking for a stage.

Case in point:

Edited by atomheartbevo

45 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

I support the greater cause these guys are backing, but (like most things 18-22 year olds come up with) this isn’t the way to go about it, especially “we want half the money”. 

I think plenty of them should be compensated in some way - that compensation can go beyond an expensive scholarship with access to top-flight training equipment and training personnel, as well as free advertising/personal promotion and a national stage to audition for the NFL.  It could even go beyond SEC bagmen giving them cash.

But asking for 50%.....that's forgetting that unless you are one of a very small handful of players, the fans who are showing up and dropping hundreds of bucks at a game, and the networks spending millions for the rights, do not care and do not know who you are.  They give a shit about the jersey you wear.   If they refuse to play, there's a crop of high school recruits hot on their heels, that will gladly come in and play for their chance at the NFL and/or a degree.    You can refuse to play and the school moves on and will have a fresh crop of players they are building up 6-9 months down the road.  Players can argue that they are there reason why the schools make a lot of money, but they better remember that there are plenty of schools like aggy that can field mediocre teams year-after-year and still sell out or come close to it.

To put it another way, if Kyler Murray goes and plays for the South Dakota State School for Small-Statured People Interested in Mining and and Agriculture, he can win his conference and make it to the Division III semi-finals and then lose to the Alabama School for Blind Teachers.

But he sure as hell ain't going to be selected #1 in the draft by an NFL team like this:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This would be the best time because people are sympathetic to their demands due to (a) George Floyd and the protests, and (b) the schools asking them to sweat and bleed on each other in the middle of COVID for our entertainment, and for no compensation, while everyone else is social distancing

That is great until social media sees a shit-ton of photos/videos of them at parties, not social distancing, not wearing masks, etc. because we know the "no party" nonsense won't last if they are physically at school.

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

And minor league football would be as unpopular as the D League or G League or whatever the NBA’s farm system calls itself.   People won’t even watch the XFL with real pros.  Some developmental league with 19 year olds who aren’t affiliated with a college won’t draw shit.  College football would still be the bigger business, by a lot, even if the schools are playing with second tier recruits.  Plus, the NFL minor league won’t have 120 teams of 85 guys, so there will still be plenty of players available who choose college.

1234.  And hell, the NBA's minor league would be more popular - at least basketball games move a lot faster than football, and there's much more constant action.   Sitting through an NFL farm team game would be excruciating as you wait for the next Johnny Manziel to get sacked or throw an interception, in a sterile atmosphere that will see the field used for the local two-year or private college's lacrosse or soccer team or whatever during the week.  

I'd much rather go to a local high school football game, where there's some history, where I can meet some folks that I know will be there the following week, especially the players' moms and aunts...

These over pampered college athletes are killing the golden goose that has given them everything. The vast majority of college sports fans do not give a shit about their social justice bullshit posturing nor do we want our enjoyment of said sports to be interrupted by BLM this or that. Sports is supposed to be an escape. What they’re reaping is the end of college sports as we know it. I’m glad that there will be less opportunities now and that these players can be blamed for it. Don’t fuck with your fan base.
Loll

Challenge is if you don't play college, odds are you have zero chance in playing in NFL. Access to college weight training, food, coaching etc is typically so far superior to what most of these kids would have had in high school it's not even close. Maybe there are some kids that an agent would be willing to float for two years until they were eligible for the NFL but not many.

Also there is a massive population of people waiting to replace them. There are far more high school players than college players and yes the quality would suffer but at the end of the day there would still be college football. I look at Army or Navy eg. Not four or five star kids but still can play and manage the odd upset every now and then. You would effectively move FCS up to FBS to fill gaps from those true top tier players who may choose not to play.

These Pac 12 players in terms of the 50% rev share ask have zero legs to stand on. Take down the $ that ADs and admin make? Maybe. Get half of the money? No way (also the Pac12 would follow Hollywood movie making model and show players how there are no net dollars made due to distribution to non-rev sports etc)

This list of ultimatums is very poorly constructed. I don't believe the Stanford players were involved in its creation. Feels more like Oregon or Wazzu.

On 7/31/2020 at 8:11 PM, Xian said:

My dream scenario is that A&M is undefeated heading into the playoff then half the team gets Covid forcing them to forfeit.  We then win the Championship against LSU. 

So your dream scenario is aggy winning games?  Shut up and GTFOOH.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

College football needs a hard reset. Let the NFL and the semi-pros develop their NFL China, while the student athletes play college ball. That applies to the coaches too. Way too much money tied up in 'amateur' sports.

I'm starting to get to this point. NFL should have a farm system for 18-21+ year olds. Pay them whatever the market bears. College sports, assuming they continue to exist, should be low dollar endeavors. As a huge college sports fan, that's tough to say. But the college athletics system has become bloated, bureaucratic and really strange.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

And minor league football would be as unpopular as the D League or G League or whatever the NBA’s farm system calls itself.   People won’t even watch the XFL with real pros.  Some developmental league with 19 year olds who aren’t affiliated with a college won’t draw shit.  College football would still be the bigger business, by a lot, even if the schools are playing with second tier recruits.  Plus, the NFL minor league won’t have 120 teams of 85 guys, so there will still be plenty of players available who choose college.

There's a lesson in here somewhere but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Where are my prayer warriors?!? Prayer can fix college football and the coronavirus, just like it solved gun violence and school shootings. Also, while you are praying, can you mix in a request for a couple of UCLA Asian-coeds for me? 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Where are my prayer warriors?!? Prayer can fix college football and the coronavirus, just like it solved gun violence and school shootings. Also, while you are praying, can you mix in a request for a couple of UCLA Asian-coeds for me? 

image.gif.916973ed19c7f66a328957bc34ae012f.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

(Chip Brown) Morning Brew: Big 12 voting tonight on football season

Good Morning Horns247!!

* The Big 12 Board of Directors (presidents and chancellors) will vote Monday on either having a nine-game conference schedule or a nine-game conference schedule plus at least one non-conference game for the 2020 season, sources told Horns247. One Big 12 source said it was too close to call as to how the board will vote between the two options. Another Big 12 source told Horns247 it’s likely the board will vote for the nine-game conference schedule plus one non-conference game.

Under the nine-plus-one model, schools would play a non-conference game Week 0 (Aug. 29), Week 1 (Sept. 5) or Week 2 (Sept. 12) and then start conference play after that. One Big 12 source said a goal of the nine-plus-one model would be to have a non-conference game and then a week or two before starting the conference schedule to allow each team some extra time between games to respond to any possible positive COVID-19 tests.

What will be interesting is to see which non-conference games Big 12 schools would pursue in a nine-plus-one model. Texas is likely to drop its game against South Florida and pursue its game against UTEP, which is currently scheduled for Sept. 19, sources said. Currently, the first Big 12 game scheduled is Kansas at Baylor on Sept. 12. It’s possible that game could get pushed back to later in September. It’s also possible the Big 12 title game would be pushed back from Dec. 5 to Dec. 19 to allow for more off-weeks during the season.

* Texas is looking at the running back graduate transfer market, because running back Daniel Young hasn’t made it clear yet whether he will participate in this year’s football season. If Young opts not to play, Texas would only have three running backs under scholarship (Keaontay Ingram, Roschon Johnson, Bijan Robinson).

* Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte has sent an email to Longhorns' season ticket holders asking them to keep their 2020 football ticket payments with the school to help UT athletics make it through the financial crisis being caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. UT's fiscal year ends at the end of August, and then Texas will have to budget for the 2020-21 school year and have to make some budget cuts. So Del Conte is asking Longhorn Nation for help.

"I need to ask you openly, honestly and very humbly that, when a staff member calls you in the coming days (over the next week or so), you consider our request to leave all or some of your 2020 Texas Football payment with us as a 100% tax-deductible gift," Del Conte said in the email. "If you leave all of your payment with Texas Athletics, you will receive triple loyalty points in 2020 (15 points for every $100). If you leave some of your payment with us, you will receive double loyalty points in 2020 (10 points for every $100).

"If you just can’t swing it, need to opt out of your football tickets this year, or know you will not purchase tickets or attend in-person events, I am asking that you renew your Longhorn Foundation membership at a level that is financially feasible for you right now or to make a donation to Texas Athletics in any amount you can. Your financial pledges are what will make it possible for our many student-athletes and teams to continue to compete and for all of us to return to the Forty Acres to cheer them on."

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Xian said:

will nfl start a development league? 

10 hours ago, CDAK said:

I'm starting to get to this point. NFL should have a farm system for 18-21+ year olds. Pay them whatever the market bears. College sports, assuming they continue to exist, should be low dollar endeavors.

Nobody gives a shit about sitting around and watching a bunch of Johnny Manziels flame out, playing for teams that may not even be there a year from now.  Football is too expensive, because it ties too many players and resources up, versus what it could bring in.   It can't capture that atmosphere that minor league baseball does (and baseball is far cheaper).

Or to put it another way:  If the NFL could have put together a profitable farm system, we would have it already.   The XFL, NFL Europe, etc. all didn't work.  CFL is its own thing (they don't have an agreement with the NFL, last I checked).

CFB is the farm system for the NFL, both for players and coaches, and it's awesome for the NFL, because it costs them nothing, and brings in fans.