College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Not saying its a winning lawsuit, but its terrible optics.   Also, I'm pretty sure the entire movement is above the paygrade of the football coach and would be with the admin.   So either we'll see the WSU PR machine start backing the truck up, or this came from above, which then gets into a students rights issue, not a football player issue.

Here's the full transcript.   His stance on Covid and not participating with the team makes sense, probably should have stopped right there.

Full Transcript, DMN

Coach was terrible at his message here, but he's ultimately right.  If you are sitting for Covid it only makes sense you won't be part of the work outs and team activities.  You won't be rooming with them, eating with the team, working out with the team etc.  You will be going to class.  It wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

What exactly is the incentive for schools to give into these demands? Athletes are free to come and go thanks to the transfer portal so it's not as if a HS senior is really committing to a 4 year stay at a program. Smaller programs like Washington State, Texas A&M, and Northern Illinois may be hurt by that but big names like Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State? Sometimes when you negotiate the other party calls your bluff. Does the university really want to give half of its revenue to the athletes? I don't think so.

Well done sir.  Well done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

If he is still on scholarship how is he actually harmed? i would imagine they would have a hard time proving he has a "right" to be on the team. 

I don't think you should be playing football for a program and be unhappy about it, but there are a number of resolutions to that problem. If you make demands and "overplay your hand" then you will get to explore those other options. IMO the Pac-12 guys demanding 50% of revenue be spent the way they want is just such an overreach. 

I've tried to go way too far on at least two business deals and got my ass handed to me both times. YMMV.

My guess is a suit would be crafted around lost wages from a potential nfl career. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My guess is a suit would be crafted around lost wages from a potential nfl career. 

Didn't this whole thing stem from him saying he was sitting out the season? How was an NFL scout going to see him play? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2020/08/04/colorado-state-university-athletes-say-administration-covering-up-coronavirus-health-threats/5572625002/

CSU athletes, staff say athletic administration covering up COVID-19 health threat

CSU football players and university athletic department staff say coaches have told players not to report COVID-19 symptoms, threatened players with reduced playing time if they quarantine and claim CSU is altering contact tracing reports to keep players practicing. (snip)

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Just a note, but Idaho athletics runs about a $6M deficit yearly... might be time to pull the plug

There are approximately 15 players with an Idaho hometown listed on the U of I football roster. If they're losing $6m a year and 80% of the football roster's from out of state, it's hard to see what benefit the football program is to the state or the school's educational mission. 

The student body is > 80% native of Idaho. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Hook 'Em 1

CSU story is disgusting. Addazio may be a Gundy type?

Players and staff said Addazio, 61, and defensive coordinator Chuck Heater, 67, rarely wear their masks. They said that is dangerous to themselves because of their age and also sets a bad example for the rest of the team.

9 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Not saying its a winning lawsuit, but its terrible optics.   Also, I'm pretty sure the entire movement is above the paygrade of the football coach and would be with the admin.   So either we'll see the WSU PR machine start backing the truck up, or this came from above, which then gets into a students rights issue, not a football player issue.

Here's the full transcript.   His stance on Covid and not participating with the team makes sense, probably should have stopped right there.

Full Transcript, DMN

I guess it would be an issue of Retaliation.  Not sure on the ins and outs of claiming it after he refused to do the job. 

21 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Covid is definitely expediting the demise of the NCAA

It's definitely exposed how worthless they are. It's an expensive operation that lacks any leadership and essentially does nothing. They're like the British monarchy. 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Coach was terrible at his message here, but he's ultimately right.  If you are sitting for Covid it only makes sense you won't be part of the work outs and team activities.  You won't be rooming with them, eating with the team, working out with the team etc.  You will be going to class.  It wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

It's high time somebody grew some balls.

16 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

It's definitely exposed how worthless they are. It's an expensive operation that lacks any leadership and essentially does nothing. They're like the British monarchy. 

Or the Big 12

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

This shit could turn into a parade of huge $ lawsuits against schools, conferences and the NCAA who will all lose. 

When the power conferences ask NCAA for some "legal advise on the matter", Indianapolis hits ACC/ B1G/ SEC/ XII & PAC, with #DaCatFace:

9 hours ago, mdmost said:
And yes, it's only Idaho so I'm sure some will totally write off their concerns for a quick joke. 

To be fair,  3/4 of the idaho football team hasn't looked like they wanted to play football for about 30 years. 

And if I had to play in the kibbie dome, neither would I. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Well, sure, this is just about the most litigious country on Earth, but as long as the scholarship is honored, I'm not sure the plaintiffs have a great case to force a coach to keep them on the team if he doesn't want them. I'm interested in seeing how they (specifically, they/their legal representation) argue it. 

Yes.  Absolutely no liability to the school.  Player has a problem with conditions.  Fine.  You don't play.

On the other hand, it is pretty stupid.  Its the type of thing that makes this program spread around the country.

Ha, that's great for Nebraska, they were the bridesmaid and already have enough players not playing from no longer "being part of the team"

edit:  Also, the kid from Indiana, that sucks, but lets be honest here.  You're gonna have to get real deep into some levels of theory to show me how football is the reason he's sick or for that matter any kid getting sick, when so many are going to parties and all kinds of school related shit other than football.  The one thing you could say is that since he's a lineman, he may not be in the best physical shape (obese) and therefore at a higher risk because of health factors involving that.  

Unless these kids are in lockdown at home, they're gonna get sick/positive whether they're playing football or Madden.

Edited by mulletpelini
  • Hook 'Em 1

Seeing multiple times that the B1G Ten may pull the plug, as they have again delayed releasing the revised schedule and have to figure out how to address the Rutgers Covid explosion (basically the Marlins of college football)

Seriously though, why even release a schedule before August 20, if there are no fans (or 10-20%), TV can figure out coverage week-to-week?

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Not that this was ever headed in the right direction anyway but the past 3-4 days have not been a positive one for the hopes of a 2020 season.  

Pretty much every US and world sport that has attempted to come back has gone through this pattern:

Skepticism before re-start; Early COVID flare-ups intensify skepticism; Protocols followed or tightened; Play resumes; Flare-ups decrease

NHL, NBA and especially MLB can't take any victory laps just yet. But lots of international leagues and smaller US ventures have successfully completed their seasons. Quite a few traveling around, not in bubbles.

Football, especially college, has by far the toughest task due to roster size and physical demands. But we're still in the skepticism phase, they haven't really locked in protocols yet or even set the schedule. I'm not exactly optimistic but far from giving up.

Just like in business, the little guys are the ones at most risk.

I’m sure Texas, Ohio State, Alabama, etc. can and will do everything possible to keep the kids safe.

It is safer for our team to be at school instead of home. (Maybe not when the other kids arrive). But even when the other kids arrive and if need be, UT could quarantine the whole team. They could create their own dorms and isolate completely. We can create the space needed for social distancing. It wouldn’t be easy but it can be done.

Easter Kentucky?

Not a chance. 

Not enough $.

Not enough space.

Not enough staff.

Not enough resources.

The folks most at risk here are the lower tier P5 schools losing money, all G5, and everyone lower (FCS, DII, etc.)

If a death happens or if someone gets seriously ill, my money is on a team like Eastern Kentucky.

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

which of the unpaid player sports are the ones you're referring to

Can't imagine there's much money in United Soccer League (traveling and allowing fans in some venues), Major League Lacrosse, Women's Pro Soccer League, World Team Tennis or the lower division European soccer leagues.

I think it's instructive to look at the lower budget operations because they can't lock down as strictly and they can't test as frequently as the big time leagues. There have been plenty of problems but no one has abandoned ship at this point.

9 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Just like in business, the little guys are the ones at most risk.

I’m sure Texas, Ohio State, Alabama, etc. can and will do everything possible to keep the kids safe.

It is safer for our team to be at school instead of home. (Maybe not when the other kids arrive). But even when the other kids arrive and if need be, UT could quarantine the whole team. They could create their own dorms and isolate completely. We can create the space needed for social distancing. It wouldn’t be easy but it can be done.

Easter Kentucky?

Not a chance. 

Not enough $.

Not enough space.

Not enough staff.

Not enough resources.

The folks most at risk here are the lower tier P5 schools losing money, all G5, and everyone lower (FCS, DII, etc.)

If a death happens or if someone gets seriously ill, my money is on a team like Eastern Kentucky.

Some B1G stars opting out too:

Looks like they picked the wrong year to go independent. Half their schedule had already bailed on them. They probably could have kept the Liberty and Army games, otherwise they'd have been fishing for FCS opponents. Ironically one of the safest COVID areas in the nation at the moment. This isn't a warning sign for any other schools doing the same, unless they're just broke

6 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Looks like they picked the wrong year to go independent. Half their schedule had already bailed on them. They probably could have kept the Liberty and Army games, otherwise they'd have been fishing for FCS opponents. Ironically one of the safest COVID areas in the nation at the moment. This isn't a warning sign for any other schools doing the same, unless they're just broke

Summation?

this is fine GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Bartles said:

CSU story is disgusting. Addazio may be a Gundy type?

Players and staff said Addazio, 61, and defensive coordinator Chuck Heater, 67, rarely wear their masks. They said that is dangerous to themselves because of their age and also sets a bad example for the rest of the team

FullSizeR.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2