College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

how the fuck you gonna look at a photo and determine if a coach is "illegally" "working with" some players? is he not allowed to be anywhere in their vicinity at this point? maybe they're talking about Star Wars
It's against the rules to be there because of exactly that. You can't tell off he's coaching or not... Which means he is.

To add-- I mean, I believe it. I doubt any of the truly elite programs (Clemson, Alabama, LSU, OU, Ohio State) follow very many of these types of rules. The anecdote though is Harbaugh raging about some photo of an Ohio State coach with his players, it doesn't give any indication of whether or not he had actual evidence. 

I just hope that if we have a fall season, that its 4 games or less.

We all know we arent getting a full season this fall. Going 5 games or more would be disastrous, logistically speaking
The last thing I'd want to see is redshirts burned or seniors' last year of eligibility wasted on a joke of a season. Cosmi will walk regardless and that sucks but the idea that Sam's last year is some exhibition games just blows.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:
2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
You almost talked yourself into the answer there at the end.

Lol. The list of players an agent would be willing to bank roll for a year is... well, short.

Dude, there’s an entire industry built on giving loans to the players who are considered high draft picks in exchange for a percentage of their first contract. It’s not just the agents that would be doing it.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Rumors were wrong - B1G released the schedule this morning

(UM & tOSU fans will go nuts - as their "special" game isn't the last weekend of the season)

What complete horseshit.  New Jersey and Pennsylvania currently have 14 day quarantine requirements that would apply to visiting teams (Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska, Illinois).  Same requirements for either Rutgers or Penn State visiting a state on the list and then coming home (Purdue and Ohio State). This is nothing more than wasted time and effort producing a wishful fantasy.  Sanctioned clickbait.  I guess B1G figures if they believe and clap hard enough they can make the season come back to life.

ACC will also have to deal with this for Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College and Notre Dame. And who the fuck is going to go to Miami or Florida State? The TV footprint spread of the major conferences is going to be the fly in the logistics ointment that would prevent anything close to a full season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

What complete horseshit.  New Jersey and Pennsylvania currently have 14 day quarantine requirements that would apply to visiting teams (Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska, Illinois).  Same requirements for either Rutgers or Penn State visiting a state on the list and then coming home (Purdue and Ohio State). This is nothing more than wasted time and effort producing a wishful fantasy.  Sanctioned clickbait.  I guess B1G figures if they believe and clap hard enough they can make the season come back to life.

ACC will also have to deal with this for Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College and Notre Dame. And who the fuck is going to go to Miami or Florida State? The TV footprint spread of the major conferences is going to be the fly in the logistics ointment that would prevent anything close to a full season.

I'm sure they are aware of these regulations, and probably already well into lobbying their way around them as MLB has done. NFL probably doesn't even have to make a phone call about it. Even CFB teams can point out there will be no interaction with the community (other than the game, which is a bit problematic but whatever)

Dude, there’s an entire industry built on giving loans to the players who are considered high draft picks in exchange for a percentage of their first contract. It’s not just the agents that would be doing it.
And the list of high draft picks in football is... 32 people a year? 64? So we're talking about, inherently, a very small group, even before considering that they might choose to play to protect that high draft stock, that they like playing/lifestyle in college, or that perhaps they even play school.

4 hours ago, Scholz said:

Even the Suckeyes have to admit Day was a whiny little cunt after that Fiesta Bowl.  I mean c'mon lulz.

day-4bb337770a0a84b1c54a33e1b826fb67.png

I’m trying to remember the name of the guy who cranked out the Inside Texas newsletter back in the day. Robert Heard? What I do remember is he wrote that DeLoss Dodds looked like something that would service a bull. If so he’d need to line up behind Day

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

I’m trying to remember the name of the guy who cranked out the Inside Texas newsletter back in the day. Robert Heard? What I do remember is he wrote that DeLoss Dodds looked like something that would service a bull. If so he’d need to line up behind Day

Apropos of nothing, Robert Heard was one of the people shot by Charles Whitman in 1966...

Yes Robert Heard was the founder and original owner of Inside Texas.  He posted under "A posteriori" for many years on his own message board, and perhaps a couple of others, back when.  He was an arrogant ass, but he did write an entire story once back in the day about how UT beating the ags made them better people, simply because on the rare occasions they won, they turned into far, far worse people.

I always admired him for that.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Good points... (kinda hinders the goofballs talking of OU & UT to join B1G)...

This applies to a lot of programs so I didn't want to dump it in the UT 50% thread...

I love how authorities all over the country are chasing house parties that have a few dozen people in a place and fining them...cutting off their power/water - but football teams are still pretending like there might by 20k fans in one stadium at some point in the next several weeks.  This is no knock on UT, there's a ton of programs trying to grab some sweet cash or at least hold on to what they have longer.  Sad. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This applies to a lot of programs so I didn't want to dump it in the UT 50% thread...

I love how authorities all over the country are chasing house parties that have a few dozen people in a place and fining them...cutting off their power/water - but football teams are still pretending like there might by 20k fans in one stadium at some point in the next several weeks.  This is no knock on UT, there's a ton of programs trying to grab some sweet cash or at least hold on to what they have longer.  Sad. 

Crisis-comms-stages-grief-graphic.jpg

College Football right in that Bargaining / Depression sweet spot.

45 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Could be edited to cover the typical Longhorn football season these days.

And to think that we have players who have never accomplished anything at the collegiate level threatening not to play. 

Reminds me of when the team was threatening to boycott the TCU game after losing to...Kansas?

Is anyone else watching Last Chance U Season 5 on Netflix? The team has a player named Dior Walker Scott who works at Wingstop, lives in his freaking car, goes to school and somehow manages to be the best, most unselfish player and leader on the team. It's just me, but I'm guessing he would jump at the opportunity for a full-ride scholarship to a D-1 school with TVs installed in every locker, tutors, an incredible cafeteria and a badass weight room.

Get him over here now so we can start winning again. Hook 'em!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

43 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

And to think that we have players who have never accomplished anything at the collegiate level threatening not to play. 

Reminds me of when the team was threatening to boycott the TCU game after losing to...Kansas?

Is anyone else watching Last Chance U Season 5 on Netflix? The team has a player named Dior Walker Scott who works at Wingstop, lives in his freaking car, goes to school and somehow manages to be the best, most unselfish player and leader on the team. It's just me, but I'm guessing he would jump at the opportunity for a full-ride scholarship to a D-1 school with TVs installed in every locker, tutors, an incredible cafeteria and a badass weight room.

Get him over here now so we can start winning again. Hook 'em!

By jove, I believe you've cracked the Championship code.  A 5'9" WR will solve all of UT's woes. Sure, there are 130 Division I programs and just one of them (Hawaii) invited him as a preferred walk-on. But you know that he must be a program changer. I bet you crush on Franchise mode.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1