College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Sure.  Just ask their pissed off alumni.
This is how obnoxious BYU fans are:  Back in the Hoiberg era, we played a non-con out there.  They were a solid program at the time as well, and it was a hard fought game.  If any of you hoops guys can recall, we had a dude named Melvin Ejim.  Senior captain.  Model citizen, all around nice guy, academic all Big 12, and he's fucking Canadian for crying out loud.  He fouls out late in the game, and we hold on to win.  As he's heading to the bench, the fans were so bad that he actually flipped them off as he sat down.  A Canadian did that.  This guy played in multiple games in Phog Allen, Bramlage, WVU Coliseum, Carver-Hawkeye, etc where they were on the end of angry, pissed off road fans.  None of those places got him mad enough to flip the crowd the bird.

Given the track record with mormons and black people, my guess would be he was probably getting disgusting racial language that would make aggy blush.
  • Like 2

Earlier this afternoon I caught the end of the Full Ride show on SiriusXM, Chris Childers was talking about don't panic when the news tomorrow comes out. It's going to be shocking and the media will have a field day with it.  A school in the P5 will announce that it will not have sports this fall and the conference may or may not join in with them.  He wouldn't name the school but we will know tomorrow.

Maybe that it is the PAC?

Covid or Nah..CSU might have problems playing this year.

“Today, we learned of some extremely troubling allegations of racism and verbal abuse from CSU’s athletic administration generally and in the football program specifically.

Colorado State University is committed to being an anti-racist university, and we will not tolerate any behavior or climate that goes against that core value. Moreover, CSU Athletics is committed to the health and well-being of student-athletes above all other priorities, and this includes their mental health. We believe it is our responsibility to make sure that all student-athletes feel welcomed and valued as members of an inclusive athletics community.

I have consulted with President McConnell about these new allegations, which obviously deeply concern her as well. Effective immediately, and for the best interests of our student-athletes, I am pausing all football-related activities indefinitely. This includes practices, workouts, and team meetings. I have also asked President McConnell to expand the independent investigation she announced on Tuesday to include a comprehensive review of our athletic department and football program specifically related to allegations of racism and verbal abuse. While we have been working hard towards playing football this fall, the holistic well-being of our student-athletes is our unequivocal top priority. We must and will address these allegations before we focus on playing football.”

We need a proper name for the crazy, like Arab spring.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2020/8/7/21359431/colorado-state-suspends-football-activities-racism-investigation-joe-parker-steve-addazio

7 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Covid or Nah..CSU might have problems playing this year.

We need a proper name for the crazy, like Arab spring.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2020/8/7/21359431/colorado-state-suspends-football-activities-racism-investigation-joe-parker-steve-addazio

CSU had to fire their basketball coach recently because he was a gaping asshole. So this fits the trend. 

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Anybody ever been to a game at CSU and gone out afterwards? Place has 3 taxis for the entire city (before Uber etc). Doesn’t shock me at all

Dude. The bars are walking distance from the stadium. You walk twice as far to your parked car at DKR. 

MAC cancels 2020 football, guess that's the big story because it is a big story

Initial reaction - it's debatable whether this was mainly a financial call or due to safety concerns. McMurphy article says NIU pulling out due to safety was the catalyst, and their president is from the medical field. The rest of the league didn't want to go without NIU. But they obviously stood to lose a ton of money off guarantee games, and their TV contract (with no fans) probably wasn't gonna make enough difference.

Edited by Bartles
Link added

17 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Initial reaction - it's debatable whether this was mainly a financial call or due to safety concerns. McMurphy article says NIU pulling out due to safety was the catalyst, and their president is from the medical field. The rest of the league didn't want to go without NIU. But they obviously stood to lose a ton of money off guarantee games, and their TV contract (with no fans) probably wasn't gonna make enough difference.

I don't think they'll be the last.   Most conferences lose money on sports as it is, adding all the health precautions to play in a pandemic don't come cheap and the MAC is already shelling out $22m on average just to field teams.

.  spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Saw an article last week about how Toledo and Akron couldn't even afford to test and players were angry.

49 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If PAC12 cancels football, yeah we’re going to need a senior OT. Oregon’s OT Penei Sewell would be great. 

Damn, a ton of teams will benefit 

Kind of the football version of organ transplants: "Well, his heart went to X, and his liver went to Y, and his eyes, they went to . . ."

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

I don't think they'll be the last.   Most conferences lose money on sports as it is, adding all the health precautions to play in a pandemic don't come cheap and the MAC is already shelling out $22m on average just to field teams.

.  spacer.png

"Difference = (Revenue - (Revenue - University Support))"   WTF?!?!?!?

So Difference  = University Support?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

If PAC12 cancels football, yeah we’re going to need a senior OT. Oregon’s OT Penei Sewell would be great. 

Damn, a ton of teams will benefit 

If P12 cancels football, it will not be the last P5 to cancel. If it cancels, the question is how far behind it the B1G and ACC are. B12 will only reluctantly postpone/cancel after those, and SECX3 will hold on to the season until the grim reaper plucks it from their cold, dead hands. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I have no idea what a university president's workflow is like, but I find it hard to believe they authorized: opening of facilities, hundreds of student-athletes brought back to campus to begin practice (helmet or no), and most importantly the release of full season football schedules which would activate their 8-figure TV contracts if played. Only to turn around days later and say, nah it's too dangerous.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Earlier this afternoon I caught the end of the Full Ride show on SiriusXM, Chris Childers was talking about don't panic when the news tomorrow comes out. It's going to be shocking and the media will have a field day with it.  A school in the P5 will announce that it will not have sports this fall and the conference may or may not join in with them.  He wouldn't name the school but we will know tomorrow.

Maybe that it is the PAC?
Kinda want it to be Texas just to see surly meltdown
  • Fuck You 1

I have no idea what a university president's workflow is like, but I find it hard to believe they authorized: opening of facilities, hundreds of student-athletes brought back to campus to begin practice (helmet or no), and most importantly the release of full season football schedules which would activate their 8-figure TV contracts if played. Only to turn around days later and say, nah it's too dangerous.
It's almost like they've been blowing smoke the whole time to keep as much donor and ticket money as possible but have no real plan to play through this.

That'd be crazy huh?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

^That would make more sense if they delayed players coming back in person before pulling the plug. They've spent a bunch of money on that and on testing.

Maybe we take them at their word for now, they don't want to rush into contact practices after just a few days of meetings and workouts. Get through another round or two of testing to see if the coast is clear to proceed.

Double whammy to universities if these TV deals are cancelled as well as the lost of ticket sales/food/merch etc sales.

Colleges are already reeling from kids not attending on campus and several are facing revolt from parents around fee structures etc

If you are a mid-tier admin at a university that has enjoyed carte blanche to bloat departments and pass costs on to students/parents via student loans etc I would be very nervous about job security right now.

I think a bloodbath is coming to schools here soon.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2