College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Once the plug is pulled on football for the year, and quite a few of us are going to do other, more productive things to pass the time on Saturdays this fall....some of us will question just how much football we will invest our time with in subsequent years.

Having a suck ass season with a team you are emotionally invested with and sort of paying attention to (but don't mind missing a game to go carpet shopping or whatnot) is one thing; having no football to waste some time with is quite another.  And there's some that might look back at this lost season and think "I really didn't miss it at all".

• Like 1

Starting to get the feeling that we've reached the spot in the calendar where universities have hit their "point of no return" on opening for fall, and so now university presidents can shift their focus to athletics, whose plans were previously being created and implemented by athletic directors desperate to preserve the administrative empires they've built, and now the presidents are looking at these plans and saying, "Are you fucking kidding?"

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Once the plug is pulled on football for the year, and quite a few of us are going to do other, more productive things to pass the time on Saturdays this fall....some of us will question just how much football we will invest our time with in subsequent years.

Having a suck ass season with a team you are emotionally invested with and sort of paying attention to (but don't mind missing a game to go carpet shopping or whatnot) is one thing; having no football to waste some time with is quite another.  And there's some that might look back at this lost season and think "I really didn't miss it at all".

I think this number will be a lot bigger than people realize. Especially the ones who will now save thousands of dollars this year with no expensive bowl trips, season tickets, etc. 

Yea ok
  • Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

The MAC is out, how long before the other G5 conferences drop out?

Some of those conferences have some crazy geography like the AAC, SBC and CUSA. How the hell do they play conference games spread out across the country during the pandemic and without the cupcake money games?

^^^Probably check with other in-state schools. Or throw out feelers to a program desperate enough to take our million dollar payout. 

I'd imagine the order of shutting down the season by conference would be Big 10, Pac 12, ACC, Big 12, SEC. The SEC is a host unto themselves. They can go it alone if they need to. The Big 12 is relying on other conferences for their extra game. If those start going away, like they already have for some ACC teams with the MAC shutting down, the Big 12 will either have to choose 9 conference games or shutting it down. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

Wait, did people really think there would be college football season? That universities that already exploit young men for tens of millions of dollars would get away with risking their health, amidst a pandemic, for a cash grab? College ain't the pros, and the optics of playing college football in such an environment is terrible.

Maybe if this country had taken the pandemic seriously; maybe if we had actually invested in rapid, accurate testing <checks notes> six months ago when this was emerging; maybe if mouth-breathing fucking morons could be bothered to wear a mask; maybe if the dunning-kruger segment of society didn't think it was smarter than the "experts" about every fucking thing; maybe if we didn't have leaders who said grandma should die to save the economy ... then maybe we might be in an environment in which college football was possible. But no, America in 2020 is very fucking far from having its shit together, so enjoy your fall without college football. 

I am curious, in your histrionic cloak-room rambling... which experts' strategy are you saying would have guaranteed that we would have College Football this fall? Just so I am clear <checks notes> if we'd done the following, we'd have football?

• Implemented a flawless, accurate rapid test in early February
  • Nationwide mask mandate when all the "experts," including Fauci, the Surgeon General, and the WHO recommended against wearing and publicly questioned their effectiveness
  • Zero citizens questioning or challenging the information being given
  • Even harsher economic lockdown to "save grandma?"
  • Get our collective shit together 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

We can only hope...

18 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

I am curious, in your histrionic cloak-room rambling... which experts' strategy are you saying would have guaranteed that we would have College Football this fall? Just so I am clear <checks notes> if we'd done the following, we'd have football?

• Nationwide mask mandate when all the "experts," including Fauci, the Surgeon General, and the WHO recommended against wearing and publicly questioned their effectiveness

@Sejjr is just asking questions! 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The MAC was greatly impacted financially by the Power 5's decision to deploy a conference-only schedule. Eleven of its games against Big Ten opponents were canceled, costing schools a combined $10.5 million.

I'm sure this helped make the decision to not play seem reasonable.

See this is what I was saying in another thread. Is it really about the players safety? Cause we all know these schools have done some questionable things in the past regarding player safety just to play the game. So just be honest and say that your system is so screwed that without sacrificing the team for a big check, you can't afford to play. 

But then people may start questioning why you play a game you can't afford to play.

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Contact sports will always come with a risk of virus transmission in a non-bubble environment. If Covid is never fully going away, even with a vaccine, I wonder how many seasons we're going to have to wait before leaders feel its worth the risk.

Yeah. The spring football crew I never got- what’s going to make it easier then?  Miracle shot at a virus?  Absent that sports exist only if you can spend a million dollars to isolate (nba) or if you are willing to push through lots of positives (Mlb). It makes sense that college isn’t willing to do either. 

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Double whammy to universities if these TV deals are cancelled as well as the lost of ticket sales/food/merch etc sales.

Colleges are already reeling from kids not attending on campus and several are facing revolt from parents around fee structures etc

If you are a mid-tier admin at a university that has enjoyed carte blanche to bloat departments and pass costs on to students/parents via student loans etc I would be very nervous about job security right now.

I think a bloodbath is coming to schools here soon.

The problem is the mid tier admins are the ones who decide whose blood spills during the bloodbath.

So they will continue to get paid $200K to be the Assistant Associate Vice Dean of Conceptual Development while they replace tenure-track professors with adjuncts and grad students.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

Trumper says what?

Yes, the president ordering the production of tests in February would have helped. 

Yes, everyone wearing masks starting in f'in April when the CDC changed its guidelines would have helped (spoiler alert: the real reason they didn't recommend masks was we had a shortage and again, the president didn't order their production in February like he should have).

Yes, a harsher economic lockdown would help. There is absolutely NO reason to have indoor dining and bars open right now. Let's get infections down so SCHOOLS can open, not a stupid bar.

Yes, getting our collective shit together instead of everyone being selfish fucks would have helped.

Any other questions? Literally every other developed country in the world has done those things except the US. It's not hard at all. It just takes a small bit of leadership and a small bit of collective responsibility. The WWI and WWII generations would be ashamed of us.

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 9

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=13502438

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

I can only speak for myself but this has about a zero percent chance of happening.

I won’t feel this way either but I can see it for some. I was a casual fan of NBA and MLB the last couple of years, but i didn’t miss either while they weren’t going on and became accustomed to not paying attention to them. Still haven’t watched either this year.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

In that case cancel the game and just have a co-ed swimsuit competition. That'll sell a few tickets.

I would be interested to see a 1997 vs 2020 competition, if time travel was possible. I was at Sewell Park a couple of years ago and the place was packed and there was a noticable increase in the body fat percentage of the coeds since the 90's.

Around the same time I visited campus with my oldest and it seemed that the amount of hot coeds at UT has decreased since the 90's as well. The low acceptance rate might be filtering out a lot of the eye candy.

9 minutes ago, F250 said:

I would be interested to see a 1997 vs 2020 competition, if time travel was possible. I was at Sewell Park a couple of years ago and the place was packed and there was a noticable increase in the body fat percentage of the coeds since the 90's.

Around the same time I visited campus with my oldest and it seemed that the amount of hot coeds at UT has decreased since the 90's as well. The low acceptance rate might be filtering out a lot of the eye candy.

Yes there are less hot chicks enrolled at UT than Texas State. Yes there are still hot chicks at UT.  Most of the hot Texas State coeds spend more than half their free time in Austin.

You are a dumbass or fat/ugly If you can’t find/get some hot tail while attending UT. 

1 hour ago, SimkinsMan said:

Assuming you actually care about a rational response, here you go.

If we actually had rapid and accurate testing ... you could test players with confidence before and after games. Unfortunately we can't even accurately test governors who are in the presence of the president. The kind of thing that competent governments do is respond to pandemics with things like a comprehensive testing plan. With tests you have information, and with information you can act.

The experts you denigrate were indeed giving mixed messages back in March, and yes, they made mistakes. But later in the spring, as evidence became clear, there remained ambivalence on masks from some local, state, and federal leaders. It's pretty simple, if the nation had masked up we could help bring R0 below 1.0 across the country. However it's become part of the culture wars, and so instead of controlling the spread of COVID-19 this summer we've seen dramatic increases, particularly in the south.

Here's a good overview of how anti-intellectualism, among other things, allowed COVID-19 to bring America to its knees. 

We probably should have had harsher lockdown for a longer period of time. This, followed by widespread mask usage, likely would have brought the pandemic under control and brought us back to some sense of normalcy by now. Instead we're talking about canceling fall sports and in the middle of some very, very difficult decisions about the extent to which we should open up public schools this fall.

Thanks for that Atlantic piece. Although the author telegraphs his political leanings, somewhat diminishing his credibility, it is a very well-written and comprehensive treatment of our national failure in response to the virus. I really appreciate the link. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Hell no. I refuse to buy that. There are more hot chicks at UT than at TSU. You just have to work harder to find them..Unlike the whoors(Ralph C) at TSU, who have nothing else going on. PROVE ME WRONG!

A high school student can graduate in the top 10% of their class and still not be admitted to UT. High School students graduating in the top 75% of their class can get into Texas State with a decent SAT score. Plus Texas State is a teachers college, cool party town and is close to Austin. The odds of Texas State having more hot chicks is definitely in their favor.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

We're in London. It's 1940 and we're under an air raid. There are households refusing to douse their lights during the blackout. You want to talk about the soccer season but some people keep bringing up the bombs that are falling all around us. It's annoying, isn't it?

If you called it soccer in 1940 Britain, you’d be dead anyway. 

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

If you called it soccer in 1940 Britain, you’d be dead anyway. 

Yeah, I debated whether to use football or soccer. Decided to use soccer because I'm writing for a mostly American audience. Figured I was likely to get a snarky comment either way. 

• Like 1