College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

3 hours ago, freyguy said:

You take what that high school kid down in Georgia posted of the packed school hallway.  Then have college athletes start doing something similar within their athletic organizations across all schools.  No social distancing, unequal or lack of onsite testing, and the new argument:  "the normal college student is being told to attend classes from home, but you're making us show up to practice and risk our health."  The kids have already discovered they have a shitload of power with their phones and Twitter.  

Your typical college students aren't going out on a national stage on Saturdays to audition for a 6-figure and above job.  Don't get me wrong, I think college football players deserve something for what they bring.  But a whole shitload of those players are only getting the publicity and stage because of the school they are attending, and they are getting expensive scholarships and access to top training equipment and personnel.    

They need to keep that in mind, because I've seen a few claiming they get nothing, when in fact they are getting one helluva an education and platform to show off their talents.  They may get exploited, and that's not the best word, but they are getting a helluva payoff in return as well.

The next wave of Chad & Karens will be "but we gots to have our footbawl! 

A group of Chads and Karens is known as a "homeowner's association".

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

It becomes even more problematic for the schools if football players are expected to play while all the non-revenue sports are canceled.  This conversation was already heating up, but Covid has really given the players (and some opportunistic lawyers) a lot of ammo.

This is what will cause a headache for universities - they are putting football and basketball players ahead of all others.  That gives those players some power.

The only problem is that the juniors and seniors who have some pull, are more concerned about positioning themselves for the NFL draft.  And if the universities tell them to go pound sand, what are they going to do?  Go to a lesser school, where the stage is not as big, and their chances of standing out for the NFL are diminished?

That 1-3% of juniors and seniors that have a shot at the NFL don’t have has much pull as the rest of them that want their only shot at getting paid for ball.

37 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Your typical college students aren't going out on a national stage on Saturdays to audition for a 6-figure and above job.  Don't get me wrong, I think college football players deserve something for what they bring.  But a whole shitload of those players are only getting the publicity and stage because of the school they are attending, and they are getting expensive scholarships and access to top training equipment and personnel.    

They need to keep that in mind, because I've seen a few claiming they get nothing, when in fact they are getting one helluva an education and platform to show off their talents.  They may get exploited, and that's not the best word, but they are getting a helluva payoff in return as well.

A group of Chads and Karens is known as a "homeowner's association".

"We're from the HOA and we're here to fuck you. And not in Bang Bus or Cap'n Stabbin kind of way.'

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the NFL could create a type of G League that was financially viable, they would have already had it up and running, because unlike college sports, they would control the financials/advertising/schedules/etc.  Team owners would love to be able to take star athletes right out of high school and develop them for their teams through a minor league.

The problem is that the NFL has tried going down that road before, and failed.  And we've also seen developmental-level leagues crash and burn with non-NFL money.     Hell, the NBA has a developmental league and nobody gives a shit, even though the games play faster and wrap up quicker than a minor-league football game would.  Most of Austin could not tell you what the name of Austin's team is, or where they place.  Hell, most of Austin probably doesn't even realize it.

College football works, because no matter how shitty a team like aggy is, there will be enough fans showing up or tuning in on Saturday to make the infrastructure viable.  Nobody wants to watch an NFL  G league team that shares a stadium with Greendale Community College, and it would be a money suck for the NFL.

Could a G League pay as much as the SEC?

If NFL teams drafted kids out of high school, played on the same field, in the same uniforms and under the same team names as their pro teams, pro fans would probably, to a degree, support their development teams. Give them 3 year contracts with a 1year option. After 4, they get signed, traded, or cut.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

If NFL teams drafted kids out of high school, played on the same field, in the same uniforms and under the same team names as their pro teams, pro fans would probably, to a degree, support their development teams. Give them 3 year contracts with a 1year option. After 4, they get signed, traded, or cut.

Games could potentially reach sun belt conference attendance figures. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Penn St and Baylor in the same conference? Whats Michigan State got to do to get a nod here?

If this scenario were to actually come to pass, they need to bring 2 more with them to make it easier to split up into divisions.  And I’m against having anything to do with PedoState, so make it 3 more.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

That 1-3% of juniors and seniors that have a shot at the NFL don’t have has much pull as the rest of them that want their only shot at getting paid for ball.

The problem for the those players is they are being given a free college education, food, room & board, access to specialized equipment and trainers and medical staff, academic resources, etc., etc. that the rest of the students aren't.

If they go down that road, they run the risk of being presented with a bill for all of those expenses at the end of their 4-5 years.    

And while I think they should be compensated in some way, if they want to go that far, then they absolutely need to be billed for everything/have it taken out of their compensation.

• Hook 'Em 2

If the NFL thought they could turn a profit on that, we would have already seen it years ago, and it would have stuck around and be a thing, and good HS players would be heading into the NFL development league instead of CFB.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, F250 said:

LOL G Leagu NFL games would blow away Sun Belt conference attendance numbers.

Yeah maybe I'm under selling a G League, and maybe that's because the NFL is actually a beating to watch most of the time. It gets the highest ratings, but that's because it's the end of the line of America's favorite sport. I love college football, but I think it's probably the connection to the university that makes me love it so much. Would anyone really give a shit or show up to watch Sam or Chubba play for a minor league football team? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Deej said:

NFL is in for a rude awakening with players opting out due to COVID and the death of fantasy football. All my leagues are shutting down until next year. It's going to be a lot of people not giving a fuck. 

Your league shut down because Donta Hightower and 68 other non star players opted out?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Irieguy said:

Your league shut down because Donta Hightower and 68 other non star players opted out?

Why fucking put money into something that is going to be hslf-assed. Between players opting out and your top picks coming down with COVID, why waste your time?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah maybe I'm under selling a G League, and maybe that's because the NFL is actually a beating to watch most of the time. It gets the highest ratings, but that's because it's the end of the line of America's favorite sport. I love college football, but I think it's probably the connection to the university that makes me love it so much. Would anyone really give a shit or show up to watch Sam or Chubba play for a minor league football team? 

It was more of a criticism against the Sun Belt which does slightly better than high school football attendance. The AAF team in San Antonio was pulling around 20k in attendance and that league was full of players not ready for the NFL.

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Why fucking put money into something that is going to be hslf-assed. Between players opting out and your top picks coming down with COVID, why waste your time?

Of the 66 opt outs there isn’t a single player that would go higher than 10th round in a fantasy draft. That’s not half assed. And injuries and illness are always a concern in fantasy. 

Just now, Irieguy said:

Of the 66 opt outs there isn’t a single player that would go higher than 10th round in a fantasy draft. That’s not half assed. And injuries and illness are always a concern in fantasy. 

Good luck on the season finishing.  They will make MLB look good. 

Too few NFL teams, way too many prospects. There are more than 11,000 players on scholarship in the FCS alone. That's to say nothing about the walk-ons and the players from the FBS and Div. II and III, all of whom can and sometimes do wind up in the NFL. Some of them wind up being stars. It's an impossible task. 

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Too few NFL teams, way too many prospects. There are more than 11,000 players on scholarship in the FCS alone. That's to say nothing about the walk-ons and the players from the FBS and Div. II and III, all of whom can and sometimes do wind up in the NFL. Some of them wind up being stars. It's an impossible task. 

It would probably be similar to the MLB draft where the majority of college players are not going to be picked up out of high school and the college players that do develop eventually are drafted as an upperclassman.

The brutality of football would be the biggest challenge. There would have to be A, AA, and AAA levels because throwing 18 year olds in with fully developed 25 year olds would be insane.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the NFL could create a type of G League that was financially viable, they would have already had it up and running, because unlike college sports, they would control the financials/advertising/schedules/etc.  Team owners would love to be able to take star athletes right out of high school and develop them for their teams through a minor league.

The problem is that the NFL has tried going down that road before, and failed.  And we've also seen developmental-level leagues crash and burn with non-NFL money.     Hell, the NBA has a developmental league and nobody gives a shit, even though the games play faster and wrap up quicker than a minor-league football game would.  Most of Austin could not tell you what the name of Austin's team is, or where they place.  Hell, most of Austin probably doesn't even realize it.

College football works, because no matter how shitty a team like aggy is, there will be enough fans showing up or tuning in on Saturday to make the infrastructure viable.  Nobody wants to watch an NFL  G league team that shares a stadium with Greendale Community College, and it would be a money suck for the NFL.

All of this is true and it’s why sports writers that talk about how much power college football players have are room temperature IQ morons. 

we could run a shaggy allstar vs tiger droppings all star roster with LSU and UT on the helmet and fill the stadium. 

The UT roster vs the LSU roster played in a random stadium and called the Louisiana large cats against the Austin steers wouldn’t draw flies. Sportswriters don’t get this because they are fools or intentionally blind. 

college football isn’t popular because it features the best 18-21 year old foot ball players in the world. Nobody would give a shit about that as a value proposition to support the infrastructure those guys currently enjoy. It’s about reliving the glory days and sharing in refracted glory. None of that exists outside of the University setting. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

It's mainly about the university. And that's what so many people, especially the players need to understand when it comes to just how much sway they hold. Don't overplay your hand.

Think about it. Between Colt and Sam, how may QBs have we rooted for? No matter how bad it got, we were still there(most of us, anyway). And how many of the Next Big Things passed through the 40 acres, even though the never lived up to the hype. Yet we all rooted for them, because of what they wore.

I think a G League/AAF type would work if the NFL got serious about it. They won't get 55k plus, but there was plenty of support for the AAF before it shut down.

Regardless, Arab Spring for college football, is going to bring some much needed changes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, F250 said:

LOL G Leagu NFL games would blow away Sun Belt conference attendance numbers.

I don’t think they would. We’ve seen too many leagues take their shot and fail. There’s not a big market, in America, for anything other than sports at the highest level or nostalgia related benefits (that’s my college/high school etc) 

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Since you’ve got so many other activities to spend time on these days....

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I don’t think they would. We’ve seen too many leagues take their shot and fail. There’s not a big market, in America, for anything other than sports at the highest level or nostalgia related benefits (that’s my college/high school etc) 

Team G Total Average Median High Low
San Antonio Commanders 3 87,378 29,126 29,176 30,345 27,857
Orlando Apollos 3 58,943 19,648 20,191 20,394 18,358
San Diego Fleet 4 76,617 19,154 20,421 20,986 14,789
Birmingham Iron 4 54,207 13,552 15,175 17,319 6,539
Memphis Express 3 39,359 13,120 13,621 13,758 11,980
Atlanta Legends 4 43,581 10,895 10,773 11,416 10,619
Arizona Hotshots 4 39,727 9,932 9,556 11,751 8,865
Salt Lake Stallions 3 27,864 9,288 9,302 10,412 8,150
AAF TOTAL 28 427,676 15,274 13,466 30,345 6,539

These are the 7 week numbers for the AAF. Not bad, fairly respectable. Maybe with better backing the league has better options than Salt Lake and Arizona.

Official Attendance Numbers:

Houston: 19,773 (New Season High)

Dallas: 15,950 (New Season Low)

DC: 16,342 (Up More Than 1,000 from Last Home Game)

Los Angeles: 12,181 (New Season Low)

Week 5 numbers for XFL. Those are solid G5 numbers. 

I think there is a market, it just needs to be done with the right backing and structure.

54 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
Team G Total Average Median High Low
San Antonio Commanders 3 87,378 29,126 29,176 30,345 27,857
Orlando Apollos 3 58,943 19,648 20,191 20,394 18,358
San Diego Fleet 4 76,617 19,154 20,421 20,986 14,789
Birmingham Iron 4 54,207 13,552 15,175 17,319 6,539
Memphis Express 3 39,359 13,120 13,621 13,758 11,980
Atlanta Legends 4 43,581 10,895 10,773 11,416 10,619
Arizona Hotshots 4 39,727 9,932 9,556 11,751 8,865
Salt Lake Stallions 3 27,864 9,288 9,302 10,412 8,150
AAF TOTAL 28 427,676 15,274 13,466 30,345 6,539

These are the 7 week numbers for the AAF. Not bad, fairly respectable. Maybe with better backing the league has better options than Salt Lake and Arizona.

Official Attendance Numbers:

Houston: 19,773 (New Season High)

Dallas: 15,950 (New Season Low)

DC: 16,342 (Up More Than 1,000 from Last Home Game)

Los Angeles: 12,181 (New Season Low)

Week 5 numbers for XFL. Those are solid G5 numbers. 

I think there is a market, it just needs to be done with the right backing and structure.

That’s also got all the new and shine on it, and I believe their numbers were falling week over week, right? 
It’s not that there is zero interest in minor league football, it’s just there is only a fraction of the interest in that than there is in college football. 
So that should tel you- the product that brings the value is the name on the front of the jersey, not the back. And it’s not even close. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

OK, it's over. Conditions in much of the country have improved but still dangerous, though who knows if that has anything to do with this decision. Like Jay Bilas said, whatever medical advice they've gotten recently, the powers that be have an obligation to share that publicly as it would be valuable to all sorts of other ventures.

So I expect them to hide behind vague "safety" and "too many unknowns" statements. Then immediately pivot to defending their decision to allow other students on campus.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Well the draft would occur in the middle of the season, so even seniors would be effected.

Who else could get drafted at all in a reasonable position without a big next season?  I think that he is the extent of the list. 
And- if college decides to play in the spring (they won’t) the nfl will surely push the draft back until after the season. They will want the tape and won’t want to take the injury risk. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Who else could get drafted at all in a reasonable position without a big next season?  I think that he is the extent of the list. 
And- if college decides to play in the spring (they won’t) the nfl will surely push the draft back until after the season. They will want the tape and won’t want to take the injury risk. 

Thats what it will come down too. The NFL would need to postpone the draft until after the CFB season. I'm not so sure they would, even it it makes sense to

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Or they could do what baseball did and seriously shorten the draft and create a free agent free for all for the rest