College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

4 hours ago, F250 said:

LOL G Leagu NFL games would blow away Sun Belt conference attendance numbers.

Eureka.  Trump should issue an executive order (which will take 3 years to get through courts) stating that any college athlete who's season was cancelled is free to seek employment in a professional league with complete immunity from school sanction.  Once the schools realized their players were about to get paid for doing the same thing, they would discover a safe way to hold the season. 

What is spring football normally, like 6 weeks? I can see them trying to bump that up to 10 weeks or so, maybe play 8 games plus CCGs and CFP. Then carve off a couple non-conf games in fall 2021. TV money will be there, quite possibly some level of ticket revenue too.

I know people care about NFL defections, but there will be plenty of great players. Teams will just be younger. That said, it's pointless to speculate on the COVID situation at that point.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Bartles said:

What is spring football normally, like 6 weeks? I can see them trying to bump that up to 10 weeks or so, maybe play 8 games plus CCGs and CFP. Then carve off a couple non-conf games in fall 2021. TV money will be there, quite possibly some level of ticket revenue too.

I know people care about NFL defections, but there will be plenty of great players. Teams will just be younger. That said, it's pointless to speculate on the COVID situation at that point.

March Madness and college football at the same time would be interesting for the tv networks.

19 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

I just don't see spring football happening, it's now or see you next fall.

I agree with you. 

All or nothing
It's got to be
Something's gotta show
When you're living under heat
All or nothing
Girl let it be
Take it from a pro
Who's rocking to the beat

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I think a G League/AAF type would work if the NFL got serious about it. They won't get 55k plus, but there was plenty of support for the AAF before it shut down.

Oh, they made it work.  Well, it's not under control of the NFL, but they will actually take kids just out of high school, unlike the NFL.   And they have developed local fanbases.

And it's in a different country.

spacer.png

Like I and others said, if the NFL could make it profitably happen here in the US, they would have already.

we are stuck in the same badbeat. why do people think Spring Football (if the weather cooperates) cross beyond the 50% chance threshold. what have you seen in the last few months that says behavior, which is the one element that needed to be modified to get society back on the mat, is going to change?

people are just as apt to lash out with anger and detonate whatever semblance of cohesion remains than do what it takes to get past this nightmare

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

OK, it's over. Conditions in much of the country have improved but still dangerous, though who knows if that has anything to do with this decision. Like Jay Bilas said, whatever medical advice they've gotten recently, the powers that be have an obligation to share that publicly as it would be valuable to all sorts of other ventures.

So I expect them to hide behind vague "safety" and "too many unknowns" statements. Then immediately pivot to defending their decision to allow other students on campus.

Actually, they can sit on a helluva lot of medical information thanks to HIPAA regulations for a bit.  Look at the nursing homes here in Texas fighting against releasing that information.   But this is different, and even if they don't release a lot of info publicly, the universities would be making obvious plans to minimize financial losses.

And now that we are seeing high school teams getting hit in the heat of the summer, with players who are not together nearly as much as CFB players are, it'll be ugly in some areas.

And there's the whole prospect of the fanbases.   Filling up Pyle Field to 50% - yeah, we know that's a major covid outbreak ready to happen.

12 minutes ago, naija said:

we are stuck in the same badbeat. why do people think Spring Football (if the weather cooperates) cross beyond the 50% chance threshold. what have you seen in the last few months that says behavior, which is the one element that needed to be modified to get society back on the mat, is going to change?

people are just as apt to lash out with anger and detonate whatever semblance of cohesion remains than do what it takes to get past this nightmare

bad behavior just means the virus curve is bigger.  It does not mean the virus won't burn off like is already happening. 

• Fuck You 7

27 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
49 minutes ago, fellside said:
Likelihood that the Big 12 and SEC play their conference schedule even if everyone else cancels the season?

Every other factor aside - likelihood that the Big 12 does something bold? Is that a serious question?

B12 doing something bold?  Maybe not.

But the B12 doing something stupid?  Well now, that's a different conversation...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/8/2020 at 11:42 AM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Once the plug is pulled on football for the year, and quite a few of us are going to do other, more productive things to pass the time on Saturdays this fall....some of us will question just how much football we will invest our time with in subsequent years.

Having a suck ass season with a team you are emotionally invested with and sort of paying attention to (but don't mind missing a game to go carpet shopping or whatnot) is one thing; having no football to waste some time with is quite another.  And there's some that might look back at this lost season and think "I really didn't miss it at all".

Productive?  The most productive thing that I'll be doing is spending huge amounts of time with a mental professional to recover from the resulting depression.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

The NBA is the only sport that has handled this the right way with that $160M bubble. 

So we'll have to make do with watching Harden, Russ, and Dantoni try to make this small ball thing work for now. 

I didn’t watch the NBA before, and am not watching now. CFB is the only sport I’ll watch a whole game of. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Lmao. This is so fucking stupid. MLB, MLS, NBA all started up. PGA started back. NFL will start up. But it's about masks for college football? Nah. the NCAA and these conferences are just fucking inept and have no idea how to handle any adversity. But yes, blame random people who didn't wear a mask as to why college football might not play.

• Hook 'Em 10
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

52 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao. This is so fucking stupid. MLB, MLS, NBA all started up. PGA started back. NFL will start up. But it's about masks for college football? Nah. the NCAA and these conferences are just fucking inept and have no idea how to handle any adversity. But yes, blame random people who didn't wear a mask as to why college football might not play.

Both can be true, and are.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2