College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Both can be true, and are.

thanks. was going to be my response to that post. just amazes me that people will fight tooth and nail over a pile of shit.

this is going to be interesting. or terrible. or funny. i'll try with the later first. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There are some good points in the Klatt video, though he doesn't explain why he called out the media on twitter the day before. One thing he mentions but doesn't spell out is the massive testing programs the schools were beginning to implement...players and staff are much safer continuing to go through that process than just shutting it down, games or not.

I guess we don't really know if athletes will still be tested if seasons are postponed. Most likely not, and it wouldn't be surprising if schools canceled their test orders rather than give them to other students/staff.

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao. This is so fucking stupid. MLB, MLS, NBA all started up. PGA started back. NFL will start up. But it's about masks for college football? Nah. the NCAA and these conferences are just fucking inept and have no idea how to handle any adversity. But yes, blame random people who didn't wear a mask as to why college football might not play.

Professional vs amateur sports? What’s the difference between them and why might community infection rates affect their ability to go on in different ways?

Real high level thinking for you here, I know.

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

There is a lot of speculation going around that the Big 10 could cancel all of their fall sports before their meeting on Tuesday and the PAC is leaning towards cancelling as well. If they cancel there will be an overwhelming amount of pressure on the Big 12, SEC and ACC to follow suit. I had an uneasy feeling that when conferences began cancelling OOC slates that the dominoes wouldn't stop falling there.

6 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Am I missing something here? Lawrence and Klatt keep harping on kids having to move back to single-parent or multi-gen homes.

Wouldn’t they all stay in their off-campus apartments? You still have access to training table and all the doctors. 

Probably because many of those players aren't there for school. So if students aren't allowed on campus, why stick around? They can go back home, smoke weed and slay poon. Or maybe that's just what I'd do.

baseless speculation

Big 10/Pac 12 agreed to cancel 2020 and wanted to get ACC/Big12/SEC to agree to announce at same time. Hence the tweets saying this is coming to an end soon. Then now there is 'more to discuss', meaning the Other 3 said no thanks, we're playing. Which has put Big 10/Pac 12 is a weird position. If they still cancel, there will be an exodus of players transferring to the other 3 conferences. (players not good enough to be drafted, but good enough to play in NFL, so they need to get another year of film). This would set these conferences back. So now they're like, let's talk this out more. Maybe negotiate with the players more?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

baseless speculation

Big 10/Pac 12 agreed to cancel 2020 and wanted to get ACC/Big12/SEC to agree to announce at same time. Hence the tweets saying this is coming to an end soon. Then now there is 'more to discuss', meaning the Other 3 said no thanks, we're playing. Which has put Big 10/Pac 12 is a weird position. If they still cancel, there will be an exodus of players transferring to the other 3 conferences. (players not good enough to be drafted, but good enough to play in NFL, so they need to get another year of film). This would set these conferences back. So now they're like, let's talk this out more. Maybe negotiate with the players more?

The cold reality is the B1G/Pac actually do have enough clout to make the others look reckless if they try to play. There's not enough time for many players to transfer, and the good ones will go pro anyway.

I'm curious if some G5 league like Sun Belt or MWC would try to just play in the fall for TV purposes. They aren't making the playoff, and might be able to keep whatever pro prospects they have for a fall season.

"amateur"...  giphy.gif
Well, all the pro leagues have player unions that forced the leagues to come to the table and guarantee safety measures. Some are working, some are not. The college players, although they didn't go to their college to play school, have zero representation and are 100% at the whims of their coaches and administrators.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bartles said:

The cold reality is the B1G/Pac actually do have enough clout to make the others look reckless if they try to play. There's not enough time for many players to transfer, and the good ones will go pro anyway.

I'm curious if some G5 league like Sun Belt or MWC would try to just play in the fall for TV purposes. They aren't making the playoff, and might be able to keep whatever pro prospects they have for a fall season.

They can't afford to play in the fall with a conference only schedule. They survive on P5 game money. Take away the 1.2 million x2 they get for playing P5 games, and they're done. 

edit: After looking at some of the finances, they probably could do it, but they'd need to cut costs by around 10-15%

Edited by Neonmoon

24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

baseless speculation

The Big 10 school presidents don't care in the least about the ACC, Big 12, or SEC. Neither do Pac school presidents. They are going to do what is best for the reputation of their individual institutions. In the case of the Big 10, with the University of Chicago example still very much in mind.

The athletics departments of the Big 10/Pac schools are not making the ultimate decisions at their respective schools.

• Like 2

The SEC would be tempting the Fates to go it alone. A few ancient Greeks might rise from their graves to see some real old school hubris flying into the storm of nemesis. Ask Agamemnon how that all works out.

SEC: We have a chance to corner the market on college football! We will cement ourselves like Ozymandias on the high pedestal of fame and greatness!

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, The University said:

smells like the growth of a long term plan to dissolve memberships from financially struggling athletic departments in a move to consolidate the major conferences. with or without the ncaa.

if we can divest from Baylor, then I call that a substantial silver lining to the current apocalypse we find ourselves in 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

The fact that the SEC may be the only conference wanting to go forward should tell the other conferences they are probably doing the correct thing.  Also, if you were a probable top draft pick (first 3 rounds) over the next 2-3 years why would you play?  I mean especially the OL and DL that are 300 pounds and kind of overweight.  I wouldn’t risk possibly getting Covid and maybe having long term lung or heart issues and having pro teams not draft me because of those issues.  It would then just lead to those kids eventually suing the colleges which is why the colleges are backing out of playing right now.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

baseless speculation

This is precisely what is going on.  The Big Ten and Pac-12 want to cancel because that is the "safest" response. The Big 12 and ACC are ambivalent. The SEC is like "fuck you, we're playing". 

Then I shall continue to live my life based on one simple and two-part premise, with the exception of how they play between the white lines of the gridiron, live life exactly the opposite of how the people of the SEC live theirs.  

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

No. You guys seem to think the Big Ten has any influence whatsoever on what the SEC does. And that is bullshit. They're going to play.

It's not about the Big Ten having influence over what the SEC does.

It's about the media having influence over what the SEC does. Once the Big Ten/Pac 12 fold, there WILL be overwhelming pressure on the others to do the same.  That's not even arguable.  It's obvious, though it's apparently "bullshit" to you.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Then I shall continue to live my life based on one simple and two-part premise, with the exception of how they play between the white lines of the gridiron, live life exactly the opposite of how the people of the SEC live theirs.  

I'm no fan of the SEC or the SEC "lifestyle" generally speaking, but I have to reluctantly join them on this one.

We've now entered a sub-stage of grief.

Also known as Mountain Dew level bargaining... *Trademark DNAguy 2020.... due to its extreme nature.

In MDB(Mountain Dew bargaining) , you get to relive all the denial and anger over again after each iteration of a bargain. 

It's like being on the Aggy rollercoaster in perpetuity!

Foresight-stages-of-grief-3.jpg

spacer.png

• Like 1