College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Decades ago it got too stressful to watch the Horns on the tube, especially when I started taking my blood pressure during the televised games, and that has carried over into the flatscreen era.

I would have thought it would be more stressful in person, although I do understand.  My cardiologist told me to either start calming down when watching the games, or quit watching them at all.  I knew something was up when I'd be dizzy 2 hours after the game.  Which was totally not alcohol related.

The governor of Florida said without question the ACC and SEC should play. If college football is to be saved it will be the South coming to the rescue. I hope our governor and big cigars start applying pressure too. I would love to see the PAC-12 slide even further to irrelevance by refusing to play. A XII, SEC and ACC super conference schedule for 2020 would be badass 

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

B1G 2020 Conference Schedule
Nebraska at Iowa
Iowa at Nebraska
Nebraska at Iowa
BYE
Iowa at Nebraska
Nebraska at Iowa
Iowa at Nebraska
Nebraska at Iowa
Iowa at Nebraska
Nebraska at Iowa
Iowa at Nebraska
B1G Championship Game
Nebraska vs Iowa (Jerryworld)

You forgot Jan 1 Nebraska vs Iowa Rose Bowl college football playoff

January 11 Iowa vs Nebraska national championship
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

117391321_3147290872053352_3592841417748

117601656_3841422995904428_8345244973163

Oh, NOW let's listen to the players and value their opinion.

I'm pretty sure a huge issue here is liability. The schools don't wanna get sued over this if something goes wrong. The players would need protections. And the schools certainly don't want college players organizing in any way shape or form, which is what would be required to get those protections and pull off a season.

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Oh, NOW let's listen to the players and value their opinion.

I'm pretty sure a huge issue here is liability. The schools don't wanna get sued over this if something goes wrong. The players would need protections. And the schools certainly don't want college players organizing in any way shape or form, which is what would be required to get those protections and pull off a season.

Th presidents and ADs will do what every great leader does when faced with a seemingly intractable problem - punt it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The governor of Florida said without question the ACC and SEC should play. If college football is to be saved it will be the South coming to the rescue. I hope our governor and big cigars start applying pressure too. I would love to see the PAC-12 slide even further to irrelevance by refusing to play. A XII, SEC and ACC super conference schedule for 2020 would be badass 

IDK about you, but I'd really rather TX not follow FL's lead, especially in regards to COVID. We're well along that path, but trying to forge ahead like nothing is going to happen is just idiocy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

The fact that the SEC may be the only conference wanting to go forward should tell the other conferences they are probably doing the correct thing.  Also, if you were a probable top draft pick (first 3 rounds) over the next 2-3 years why would you play?  I mean especially the OL and DL that are 300 pounds and kind of overweight.  I wouldn’t risk possibly getting Covid and maybe having long term lung or heart issues and having pro teams not draft me because of those issues.  It would then just lead to those kids eventually suing the colleges which is why the colleges are backing out of playing right now.  

This assumes those players are following social distancing protocol and taking all necessary precautions while at home, which is absolutely a flawed assumption to make. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Who says they have to go home?

Now there's UT assistant coaches and parents tweeting this nonsense like UT is kicking them off campus if they aren't playing football. Nobody said anything about "making" them go home to their situations. If they want to be on campus they can be on campus as a student. Obviously if fall football is canceled the team will still be working out a few times a week, they can hit the weight room with their teammates.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, BurdineBandit said:

Now there's UT assistant coaches and parents tweeting this nonsense like UT is kicking them off campus if they aren't playing football. Nobody said anything about "making" them go home to their situations. If they want to be on campus they can be on campus as a student. Obviously if fall football is canceled the team will still be working out a few times a week, they can hit the weight room with their teammates.

And, you know, doing the student part of student athlete

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 11:19 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I mean, we do suck at football historically.

But a juco?  We're in the AAU for Christ's sake.

The good news is that if I were King of the World I would make sure ISU always had a home in the top tier of college sports. The bad news is that despite my best efforts, I am not King of the World.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BurdineBandit said:

I really don't get this argument that they wouldn't be able to stay.  I have a niece in school at UT right now and she is back in Austin but doing all virtual classes.  It's almost like people are making the argument that football players aren't really on campus to go to school and we should not treat them as real students.  Kind of goes against everything a college athlete should be, no?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Who says they have to go home?

Yeah, don't understand that one, at least from football perspective. Likely other sports will be cut and those athletes will be going home as athletic budgets get crushed, but can't see P5 football players going home, but maybe there is some stipend/expense tie in somewhere.

15 minutes ago, Chad said:

Big 12 North : Iowa, Iowa St, Kansas St, KU, Nebraska & WVU

Big 12 South : Texas, OU, Okie St, TTU, TCU & Baylor

Make it happen!

This is a pipe dream, but imagine if being the cultural outliers in the Big 10 makes Iowa and Nebraska reconsider conference affiliation?  They're the only Big 10 schools west of the Mississippi (save for like 3 buildings on Minnesota's campus).  Nebraska obviously should be in the Big 12, and Iowa fits completely.

If you could convince the SEC to swap WVU for Mizzou you could have this:

Big 12 North:

Iowa/Iowa State/KU/KSU/Nebraska/Mizzou

Big 12 South:

OU/OSU/UT/TTU/TCU/Baylor

All of a sudden you have returned college football to a place of regional cohesion, with pretty much every major conference being geographically contiguous.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

And have access to quality medical care if they need it. 

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, don't understand that one, at least from football perspective. Likely other sports will be cut and those athletes will be going home as athletic budgets get crushed, but can't see P5 football players going home, but maybe there is some stipend/expense tie in somewhere.

There's some significant Title IX implications to treating the sports unequally, especially with regards to gender equality statutes in the law. If schools cancel everything BUT football, there's going to be a shitstorm, and many many parties with legal standing and precedent to take a pound of flesh

• Hook 'Em 1

Players will of course get the virus even if they don’t play. The issue is that we still don’t have fast accurate tests so there’s no way to stop it from quickly spreading through a team once a few players get it, something that is bound to happen given the significant community spread. 

• Fuck You 1

35 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

What’s so funny? He has the pull to be able to get others in power to push against the tide to cancel the season. 

Using a government official from the state of Florida as a reference to any point you're trying to make automatically makes you incorrect.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

I think the ACC will follow suit next. A lot of academic institutions there that don't want to assume the risk. If Notre Dame says they're out, it's a no brainer the ACC shuts down. That would leave the Big 12 and SEC to assume all the risk and possibly get all the glory. If they risk it and it goes badly, the blowback will be severe.