College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think the ACC will follow suit next. A lot of academic institutions there that don't want to assume the risk. If Notre Dame says they're out, it's a no brainer the ACC shuts down. That would leave the Big 12 and SEC to assume all the risk and possibly get all the glory. If they risk it and it goes badly, the blowback will be severe. 

I don't think their football season hinges on Notre Dame, specifically

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

CFB ain't happening this fall. Period. I still think the best move is trying to have some semblance of a normal season structure starting in Jan, assuming cases are down or we have a vaccine.

It won't be better come January. If we can’t figure out how to play with the virus then it's Fall 2021 assuming we have a working vaccine that is properly distributed. We really did this shit to ourselves by not taking it seriously sooner.

Edited by USMCHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

CFB ain't happening this fall. Period. I still think the best move is trying to have some semblance of a normal season structure starting in Jan, assuming cases are down or we have a vaccine.

I work for a very large healthcare organization. Our internal planning is for vaccine availability for our front line employees and high risk patients in the March-April time frame. Widespread availability obviously not for another few months after that.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

It won't be better come January. If we can’t figure out how to play with the virus then it's Fall 2021 assuming we have a working vaccine that is properly distributed. We really did this shit to ourselves by not taking it seriously sooner.

Something something, but the economy

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think the ACC will follow suit next. A lot of academic institutions there that don't want to assume the risk. If Notre Dame says they're out, it's a no brainer the ACC shuts down. That would leave the Big 12 and SEC to assume all the risk and possibly get all the glory. If they risk it and it goes badly, the blowback will be severe. 

Exactly this. If any conference decides to play, and numbers go crazy - which I'd bet my next year's salary that they will - the repercussions will be huge. Recruitment pitches will begin and end with, "See that school doesn't really care about you and your health. All they care about is using you to make money". If the SEC wants to do it, go right ahead. Big 12 needs to pull the plug. 

• Like 1

What’s so funny? He has the pull to be able to get others in power to push against the tide to cancel the season. 
That death cult dumbass has no power.

None of us are going to die if we don't get to watch football for one season, but some of these players might. It's the adult thing to do to get out of this mess and restore our lives. There doesn't seem to be any adults making decisions at any levels.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Exactly this. If any conference decides to play, and numbers go crazy - which I'd bet my next year's salary that they will - the repercussions will be huge. Recruitment pitches will begin and end with, "See that school doesn't really care about you and your health. All they care about is using you to make money". If the SEC wants to do it, go right ahead. Big 12 needs to pull the plug. 

counter point.  SEC just writes a bigger check to the recruits family.  Win SEC? 

By the way I believe all conferences should cancel all sports until we get this shit under better control and make it much safer for the kids to compete.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

God you’re a dumbfuck. Maybe if the governor of Florida and the governor of Texas and trump(trying not to CR) did their fucking jobs, we’d have college football this fall. 

Fucking moron 

Correct Shift blame that’s the American way  instead of you know society wearing a mask washing their hands and doing What they were supposed to do like applying common sense.  Its def someone else’s fault the neighbor went to the beach and caught Rona 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
23 minutes ago, Chad said:

Harbaugh extended after Ohio State's eight year, and 17/20 year win streaks come to a decesive end.

hell yeah, UofM not losing to O$U in 2020 is the only good thing to come out of this. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This is a pipe dream, but imagine if being the cultural outliers in the Big 10 makes Iowa and Nebraska reconsider conference affiliation?  They're the only Big 10 schools west of the Mississippi (save for like 3 buildings on Minnesota's campus).  Nebraska obviously should be in the Big 12, and Iowa fits completely.

If you could convince the SEC to swap WVU for Mizzou you could have this:

Big 12 North:

Iowa/Iowa State/KU/KSU/Nebraska/Mizzou

Big 12 South:

OU/OSU/UT/TTU/TCU/Baylor

All of a sudden you have returned college football to a place of regional cohesion, with pretty much every major conference being geographically contiguous.

Fuck Baylor.

That is all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xian said:

Wonder how coaching contracts are worded.  Are they going to still get paid for a season that doesn’t happen?

Yes. Aggy will also give Jimbo another 10 year $75M extension to thank him for an undefeated season. 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Have you been to a CenTex Spurs game? The same D League Spurs team that would crush college teams. Yeah, me neither.

Someone already posted the numbers up thread, the AAL football attendance did better than the Sun Belt conference. A lot of G5 teams have very low attendance, a lot of G5 teams could skip the season and the students wouldn't even notice.

Hopefully we can get to the point where everyone can recognize the fucked up structure of college football is the biggest roadblock towards moving ahead at this point. Hopefully it doesn't get replaced with something just as fucked up, like when the Red's replaced the Tsar's unitary monarchy. 

Is there another way outside of total isolation that these players will be more protected not on their team? 
honest question because I have to think with all the monitoring that the coaches are doing all these guys staying together monitored every day tested often and kept pretty much in a protective bubble away from society during the season surely they’re more protected being on the team then they are going back into society without being monitored there every step of the way. Yes I know college kids go to parties and what about six street etc. etc. but I would wager that coaches will put some type of protocol in place where after games there forbid them from that I don’t know just spit bawling.  I guess without the coaches literally monitoring your every move since there’s no team sport going on your chances increase of catching it being released back to society with freedoms for lack of a better statement 

• Hook 'Em 1

So what are the chances there is actually a full season if it's moved to the Spring?  Are college presidents really going to sign off on 12+ games in the Spring followed by 12+ games starting 4-ish months later?  Yes, they'd want the money but are they going to have players play 24+ games in that short of a period?  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, AustinMT said:

So what are the chances there is actually a full season if it's moved to the Spring?  Are college presidents really going to sign off on 12+ games in the Spring followed by 12+ games starting 4-ish months later?  Yes, they'd want the money but are they going to have players play 24+ games in that short of a period?  

Unless there's a vaccine widely available I wouldn't bet on a full season

• Hook 'Em 2

All this for the possibility of playing exhibition games. With no central authority and players representation, there is no way for 13,000 players to travel around the country to play a contact sport. Forget logistical issues each entity is faced with, there is no standard protocol for handling infected players. Given the massive competitive advantage of actually having players take the field, competitive integrity will surely be compromised.

We’re already seeing scheduling irregularities and efforts to stifle testing and reporting (see Colorado St). Its already a clusterfuck. When shit gets real, it’ll be a clusterfuck of massive proportions. All for some exhibition football games, after a month or so will likely get shutdown.

• Hook 'Em 1

The only reason for anyone to float out a "spring" season is to drag along the boosters, season ticket holders. We knew 2 months ago there would be no fall NCAA football but only now 3 weeks before games were going to start did any actual announcements come in. 

Will be the same thing, we will hear about an after Easter start date, everyone will get strung along and then Good Friday the conferences will be like actually nah.

• Like 1

I put it in the other thread, my idea would be to play division only with 2-3 weeks in between games and division champs play each other in a championship game. It's just not feasible to play weekly because outbreaks are going to happen and happen often. With 2-3 weeks between games, you can feel safe playing the next game (I know in reality it's not safe because college kids are idiots and will be partying during those weekends but this is all theoretical). The Big 12 can split in to north and south again (South = UT, TT, TCU, BU, WVU; North = OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU). The major clusterfuck is going to be sorting out records for the CCG when a bunch of teams will have had games cancelled. Imagine if a school avoids one or more of the better teams due to outbreaks while other schools play all the best teams. How do you apply record fairly for CCG purposes? It is going to be so fucked up if they play.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The SEC and ACC can insist on playing all they want right now, but they will still cancel their seasons before September is over.

This. Shit is bad now and it will get worse as the temperature drops. No one is playing through the season. You would expect Universities of all institutions to understand the reality of the situation.

• Like 1