College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Oh? It’s my fault, huh? Maybe if the governors and our “President”came out and said where masks at all times, wash and stay at home for a bit unless you absolutely have to. Oh wait! I did all those things by myself. And now it’s August and I’m fucking pissed cause morons like you, that fuckin piece of shit Johnny sack and  iconotard for just being the imbeciles y’all are. 

This is on y’all. The stupidity you spew all over the boards and I’m sure in real life too cost 160,000 deaths and climbing. Y’all have blood on yalls hands. Hope you dumb fucks are happy!  

Is it hard being this stupid. Or is it natural to you. Pussy 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 2

18 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Is there another way outside of total isolation that these players will be more protected not on their team? 
honest question because I have to think with all the monitoring that the coaches are doing all these guys staying together monitored every day tested often and kept pretty much in a protective bubble away from society during the season surely they’re more protected being on the team then they are going back into society without being monitored there every step of the way. Yes I know college kids go to parties and what about six street etc. etc. but I would wager that coaches will put some type of protocol in place where after games there forbid them from that I don’t know just spit bawling.  I guess without the coaches literally monitoring your every move since there’s no team sport going on your chances increase of catching it being released back to society with freedoms for lack of a better statement 

Yes, a protocol will work just fine for 18-22 year olds.  I mean, it worked so well in MLB.  None of those guys have gone out and broken protocols...... and they got money on the line.

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Oh? It’s my fault, huh? Maybe if the governors and our “President”came out and said where masks at all times, wash and stay at home for a bit unless you absolutely have to. Oh wait! I did all those things by myself. And now it’s August and I’m fucking pissed cause morons like you, that fuckin piece of shit Johnny sack and  iconotard for just being the imbeciles y’all are. 

This is on y’all. The stupidity you spew all over the boards and I’m sure in real life too cost 160,000 deaths and climbing. Y’all have blood on yalls hands. Hope you dumb fucks are happy!  

not the fucking place for this shit.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yes, a protocol will work just fine for 18-22 year olds.  I mean, it worked so well in MLB.  None of those guys have gone out and broken protocols...... and they got money on the line.

Expecting college students not to do college student things seems a little naive. 

There will breakouts on countless college campuses this fall if students are there.

Edited by David Dennison

5 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

not the fucking place for this shit.

Yeah I’m done. But it’s pretty difficult to separate the 2 at the moment 

Damn, icono and sgt get triggered pretty easily. Must be tough going through life as stupid as they are. 

Edited by Fletch
Idiots being cunts
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

48 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, scholarship limits haven't changed. Unless the SEC schools start cutting other guys, there aren't unlimited spots. 

Saban has the team doctor writing up medical retirements as you type...

If the primary concern is about the health of student athletes, which scenario gives them greater odds of catching the covids:

1. being “in a bubble” on campus with no other non-athlete students where they are tested weekly or whatever and they practice and play games, or

2. not playing this season, taking classes online while living at home and trying to resist the urge to hang out with their friends and chasing tail back in their home towns

If you see any athletes on Instagram etc you know they are not mastering the concept of social distancing.

27 minutes ago, F250 said:

Someone already posted the numbers up thread, the AAL football attendance did better than the Sun Belt conference. A lot of G5 teams have very low attendance, a lot of G5 teams could skip the season and the students wouldn't even notice.

true, the #20 in attendance last year(Iowa) averaged 65k.   So it drops off pretty quick:

AAC: 29.4k

MWC: 23.2k

CUSA: 18.9k

Sunbelt: 18.2k

MAC: 15.5k

image.thumb.png.d1fca61c5024f5b4e5bb718d21f265c1.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If the primary concern is about the health of student athletes, which scenario gives them greater odds of catching the covids:

1. being “in a bubble” on campus with no other non-athlete students where they are tested weekly or whatever and they practice and play games, or

2. not playing this season, taking classes online while living at home and trying to resist the urge to hang out with their friends and chasing tail back in their home towns

If you see any athletes on Instagram etc you know they are not mastering the concept of social distancing.

The actual primary concern is liability. The lack of any clarity on long term effects would potentially mean legal issues years from now.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I mean, it would obviously be ideal to find a way to bubble up the players, but why would they open up campus just for football players? I also don't think the expectation is that the kids won't do kid shit and ultimately get COVID. I think the concern is that they get COVID by playing football, and ultimately have to cancel games/the season. If it's inevitable that they're going to get this shit, just kick the can down the road to 2021.

Only way I could see this working would be to find a way to bubble up the players and have no fans in the stands. And no fans for football would be FUCKING WEIRD.

9 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

This.

There is enough uncertainty to justify cancelling the season.

The question now is will less (or more) football players contract COVID because of that decision.

14 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

But how are you going to get these kids to agree to this? If they are a pro, sure for a few hundred thousand to millions a year, they might be happy to stay in a bubble for four months away from their family, friends, fans, and pretty much humanity in general except for their teammates and coaches. But for a scholarship? When they could be out having some fun like all of the rest of the students? Someone earlier in the thread mentioned increasing the stipend to sweeten the deal. How much are we talking?

Edited by ouflak
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

If there is a more greatly deceived group of people regarding their own intellectual ability and clarity of vision than sportswriters, I've never seen it. Watching them debate whether there should be a college season where they have to expand from the usual world they don't well understand to the broader the world that apparently makes no sense to them at all makes football-fucking monkeys look like Rhodes Scholars.

Yes, let's let the people who must see themselves as invincible to do what they do on the football field weigh the risk and consequence in broad exposure to Covid.

Let's get Joel Klatt to expand on the scientific data he's seen and pronounce Covid of negligilbe risk to those of college age. No scientist knows the long term effects on the body from being infected, but Joel does!

Let's have fans cooped up in their houses running out of TV to watch call everyone pussies who doesn't back up those would-be invincibles in their quest to put invincibility to the test! It's all a Marvel Comic anyway. I seen't it on the TV ever'day.

America has got this wrong at every step. Sure, let's pump up the balls and put on the cleats based on the innate genius of Joel Klatt and anybody else with access to a broadcast mic.

I want college football. It's the only sport I still care about. I shouldn't get to decide based on either my desire or my grasp of Covid.

But, of course, I'll defer to Joel and the pretty QB from Clemson.

Idiot World

Oh, I left out the sports writer and fan inclination to make statements out of guesses. A&M loses five games. The Brockermeyers are coming here. Bob Stoops will win a half dozen national championships. There will never be a college football playoff. Baylor will be punished any minute.

Don't sweat the Covid. I seen the scientific data and have heard from authorities. ABSOLUTELY NO POLITICS!!!!!

World. See: idiot.

Won’t be any worse than a known risk called CTE.

54 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Is there another way outside of total isolation that these players will be more protected not on their team? 
honest question because I have to think with all the monitoring that the coaches are doing all these guys staying together monitored every day tested often and kept pretty much in a protective bubble away from society during the season surely they’re more protected being on the team then they are going back into society without being monitored there every step of the way. Yes I know college kids go to parties and what about six street etc. etc. but I would wager that coaches will put some type of protocol in place where after games there forbid them from that I don’t know just spit bawling.  I guess without the coaches literally monitoring your every move since there’s no team sport going on your chances increase of catching it being released back to society with freedoms for lack of a better statement 

Umm sir, how dare you go past stage one in the process of rational decision making!

The fucking nerve of some people.

Someone already posted the numbers up thread, the AAL football attendance did better than the Sun Belt conference. A lot of G5 teams have very low attendance, a lot of G5 teams could skip the season and the students wouldn't even notice.

The Austin Spurs are also a terrible example of college attendance outperforming minor league attendance given that we count Texas's basketball attendance in the dozens.

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Shit. This is the first I've heard that CTE is contagious and can be passed to staff and other students.

This is much worse than I thought.

This is the first I’ve heard the risks of COVID are mitigated when not among staff & students.   I have heard you are more likely to get CTE in a contact sport vs every day life.

Aggy fucks sheep.. don’t be a sheep.

23 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I am hearing these are the two options but where is option 3?  You know the one where the student athletes go to campus like all the other students, live in their athletic dorms, take their classes whether virtual or in person and act like regular students minus the playing games part?  They can still go to their private gyms/stadiums to workout and train.  What am I missing?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

1. There is no requirement for being in a bubble currently. In addition, any form of close contact is a large risk. Even with weekly testing.

2. This is a false choice because no one said they had to go home

The answer is 

3. Being in a bubble with no other students... only those athletes on the team, weekly tests, non-contact practice / training only, and no games.

You would expect Universities of all institutions to understand the reality of the situation.

Well, yeah. I'm not sure what that has to do with the SEC though.

We seev what real universities are doing, as that's mostly what the Big Ten and Pac 12 consist of.
  • Like 1

Administrations know players are going to get sick with or without football. This is them washing their hands of responsibility because we live in a “blame the deepest pockets“ society. Now, let’s talk about the social fallout from all the young men with too much time on their hands and angry at the world...

1 minute ago, Veerbone said:

This is the first I’ve heard the risks of COVID are mitigated when not among staff & students.   I have heard you are more likely to get CTE in a contact sport vs every day life.

Aggy fucks sheep.. don’t be a sheep.

What a bullshit strawman argument.

And you're right, I should be a free thinker like you. You've got it all figured out. Which is why people like you have our country leading the world in deaths - because we won't succumb to fear. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Administrations know players are going to get sick with or without football. This is them washing their hands of responsibility because we live in a “blame the deepest pockets“ society. Now, let’s talk about the social fallout from all the young men with too much time on their hands and angry at the world...

#baylorwhitegirlslivesmatter