College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

25 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

It's possible -- and hear me out on this one -- that scientists studying new diseases will learn things in the months following the discovery of the disease, and its impacts on growing numbers of patients.

It's a problem for college football because we've seen, in other sports including MLB, this problem occur in otherwise healthy athletes. So while the vast majority of kids who get COVID-19 will be fine, there are growing concerns about its effect on the heart and potentially other organs in the human body.

In a CFB world of painkillers, steroids & CTE.  Some of you are stuck somewhere between denial, hypocrisy & plain ignorance.

• Fuck You 3

14 hours ago, CDAK said:

Can you folks that have a personal dislike for Icono take it to another thread to discuss trannies, tailored jerseys, Cougar High, etc.? It gets really tedious reading these takes in every thread in which he posts. It's starting to remind me of the gaggle of clingers that used to follow Rocko and Derka around posting the same dumb takes about pay stubs, Camaros, obesity, etc. 

Yeah, no.  It’s necessary to bring up his past every time.  Fuck icono.  Oh and fuck Rocko too.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Okay I was wrong and it has been talked about before college football. 

I remember reading articles back in March (maybe earlier) about major, potentially permanent, post-China Flu issues and organ damage.  Not just the heart, also lungs ('ground glass') and kidneys.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1

I’m guessing this study, along with anecdotal reports, are what is spooking medical officials/people. 

https://www.onlinejacc.org/content/76/5/533

40% of hospitalized patients at a hospital in NY had signs of myocardial injury. Those that did, did worse. Those that did, most often had Pre-existing disease. 

It’s just one study and we are learning more about the disease every day. If this is really the big concern suddenly, then couldn’t there be some kind of waiver that could be crafted for kids to sign? You can’t take the risk out of everyday life here with Covid, even if you’re not playing football. 

43 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I get the PR battle that's been going on the past few days, but what's the narrative for Big 10 and Pac 12 wanting to cancel? They hate God and football? Or is it that they're just being overly cautious because of potential liability and they hate god and football?

I think liability. Then you throw in POTUS factor and for fucking sure PAC 12 is done. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

If a conference hitches its wagon to myocarditis, they either believe COVID is likely to transmit during games/practices (maybe, but see below) or they think it's such a danger that there really shouldn't be anyone on campus at all. Why have athletes been doing indoor weights and cardio, if the communities are still so risky? Shouldn't all fitness on campus be shut down?

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You mean to the point where scientists , doctors, epidemiologists, presidents, (social) media, health experts can’t get on the same fucking page?

And who is the leader of the free world right now? Hmmmnn

Oh and fuck you for downplaying this all these months. Really showed your ass, you trashy, retarded,  professional sports fan. You’re pretty much Minnesota Vic. Congrats. 

So yeah any chance we get semi lucky and get some 7 on 7 tournaments or something? Asked yesterday but it got lost in the shuffle I think 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Look, maybe I am a dumbass like @Beau Vine says...but IDGAF because that's the least of my worries at this point. I've been unemployed for over 5 months now. My industry is similar to anything having to do with live sports or concerts and is VERY slow coming back. I don't know how much longer before I work, and gov't support has dried up. I'm fucking pissed, and am looking for ways to support my family. I don't have answers. I feel like a lot of the players, in that I want to work and do what I do, but I can't do to powers outside my control. It sucks. There is something new everyday and mostly negative in regards to this virus and how it will kill you, when any ray of light tries to pop up. Meanwhile, quite honestly, the virus itself is the least of my personal worries. Uncharted territory is hard.

Sorry, rant over. I got pushed to my limit with covid-19. I'll leave the thread.

Everyone stay safe! 

That sucks man and a terrible place to be in. I can only imagine how frustrating or unstable it can feel.     Wishing you the best that things change quickly

And who is the leader of the free world right now? Hmmmnn  

Oh and fuck you for downplaying this all these months. Really showed your ass, you trashy, retarded,  professional sports fan. You’re pretty much Minnesota Vic. Congrats. 

So yeah any chance we get semi lucky and get some 7 on 7 tournaments or something? Asked yesterday but it got lost in the shuffle I think 

Who are you and why are you coming At me so hard?

He said we’re not listening to doctors, and I mention the people we need to listen to are on opposite ends of the spectrum and THAT set you off?

Lmfao, shut up dipshit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Who are you and why are you coming At me so hard?

He said we’re not listening to doctors, and I mention the people we need to listen to are on opposite ends of the spectrum and THAT set you off?

He negged me for a very vanilla post. Not sure who he is or what is his problem. 

Cause you ruined the DT thread with your idiocy. It was once a great thread, then guys like you ruined it. I’ve always lurked more than post, but the last few weeks have been so fucking infuriating. It’s been therapeutic taking it out on dumb fucks like you 

I needed you GR cause you’ve been spouting the same kind of idiocy since March and look where your brilliant insights got us. 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 3

13 minutes ago, Bartles said:

If a conference hitches its wagon to myocarditis, they either believe COVID is likely to transmit during games/practices (maybe, but see below) or they think it's such a danger that there really shouldn't be anyone on campus at all. Why have athletes been doing indoor weights and cardio, if the communities are still so risky? Shouldn't all fitness on campus be shut down?

The finger pointing when the first major breakout on a team or in a conference happens is going to be epic.

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Cause you ruined the DT thread with your idiocy. It was once a great thread, then guys like you ruined it. I’ve always lurked more than post, but the last few weeks have been so fucking infuriating. It’s been therapeutic taking it out on dumb fucks like you 

You seem like you suck. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

The finger pointing when the first major breakout on a team or in a conference happens is going to be epic.

We’ve already had them Denny. See Texas, Clemson, Rutgers, Bama. I guess we weren’t concerned about myocarditis and nobody dropped dead (predictably) so people moved on  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Look, maybe I am a dumbass like @Beau Vine says...but IDGAF because that's the least of my worries at this point. I've been unemployed for over 5 months now. My industry is similar to anything having to do with live sports or concerts and is VERY slow coming back. I don't know how much longer before I work, and gov't support has dried up. I'm fucking pissed, and am looking for ways to support my family. I don't have answers. I feel like a lot of the players, in that I want to work and do what I do, but I can't do to powers outside my control. It sucks. There is something new everyday and mostly negative in regards to this virus and how it will kill you, when any ray of light tries to pop up. Meanwhile, quite honestly, the virus itself is the least of my personal worries. Uncharted territory is hard.

Sorry, rant over. I got pushed to my limit with covid-19. I'll leave the thread.

Everyone stay safe! 

Hope things improve for you, brother. People forget that there are real people behind the unemployment numbers and the body count.

No matter how comfortable people are in whichever camp they find themselves, this cannot last forever. Financially, we cannot continue shutting everything down. Many people work from home or work for the government, but many thousands of private businesses can't operate normally and the result is great suffering.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, DiceHands said:

I cant believe we are at the point in history where we ignore doctors in favor of people far less intelligent because... football.

We live in a world where all information is biased for political or ideological gain. A world where all viral myocarditis forms don't matter and only covid myocarditis matters.

Also, we live in a world where all forms of threat to players don't matter, only those that are socially, politically, or emotionally relevant due. A similar small percentage of players die from or get heat strokes, rhabdomyolosis, cardiomyopathies, other myocarditis, CTE, etc. Those issues aren't as politically or emotionally relevant right now.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, BevoBuck14 said:

We live in a world where all information is biased for political or ideological gain. A world where all viral myocarditis forms don't matter and only covid myocarditis matters.

Also, we live in a world where all forms of threat to players don't matter, only those that are socially, politically, or emotionally relevant due. A similar small percentage of players die from or get heat strokes, rhabdomyolosis, cardiomyopathies, other myocarditis, CTE, etc. Those issues aren't as politically or emotionally relevant right now.

The most important issue during this decision making process is television money.

I needed you GR cause you’ve been spouting the same kind of idiocy since March and look where your brilliant insights got us. 

I’ve only posted it since pretty much the first week. Cry about it in your pillow, pussy.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

The most important issue during this decision making process is television money.

That may be the most important issue, and there are several other issues. However, that is not the most important issue driving the bias of covid statistics and an evidence-based medical approach toward covid's risk on the athlete population.

Just now, BevoBuck14 said:

That may be the most important issue, and there are several other issues. However, that is not the most important issue driving the bias of covid statistics and an evidence-based medical approach toward covid's risk on the athlete population.

You’re missing the point.  It’s the most important factor driving the bias against covid statistics and an evidence based medical approach.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No doubt it will, from the outside anyway. The Marlins will always be mocked and shamed online, but MLB kept going and the Marlins themselves got back on the field. FC Dallas starts its season tomorrow. NFL positive guys are being reactivated daily. There are other examples, and hopefully we track all their COVID alumni and don't see any major complications.

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Are the Pac 12 doctors just smarter? I would argue that their perspective/politics precludes them from even trying to play because POTUS would like it. 

This seems like a stretch.  Not everyone makes decisions based on politics.   But just like politics, some people are more willing to take risks and some are more risk adverse.   Two doctors could look at the exact same numbers and one could say, "Its a low risk, don't worry" and the other could say, "Is what you're suggesting even worth any risk?"   Doesn't change the data and doesn't have anything to do with politics.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

A shitload of it won’t ever come in.  Some will need to be refunded for sure.  They’re already talking about taking out massive loans. 

Oh. My understanding was that colleges were hurting because a much larger relative portion of their revenue comes from actual game tickets/concessions versus tv revenue.