College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

So the Big 10 and soon Pac 12 will choose the less risky option. The other 3 will push ahead and either things will go really well and all 3 conferences go a lot higher in stature or they're going to get raked over the coals if things go poorly. 

I wonder if individual schools in those conferences will want to opt out. It's one thing to be Texas and OU with huge budgets to ensure safety. It's another to be one of the smaller schools that are already hurting badly and may not be able to keep pace on testing and precautions. 

Just now, Valmy77 said:

There are several vaccines in development, I think it is not unreasonable to suspect things might be better by then.

just creating a vaccine doesn't magically inject it into millions and millions of people.  it will take time.  i'm hoping by next fall we'll have some normalcy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So the Big 10 and soon Pac 12 will choose the less risky option. The other 3 will push ahead and either things will go really well and all 3 conferences go a lot higher in stature or they're going to get raked over the coals if things go poorly. 

I wonder if individual schools in those conferences will want to opt out. It's one thing to be Texas and OU with huge budgets to ensure safety. It's another to be one of the smaller schools that are already hurting badly and may not be able to keep pace on testing and precautions. 

What cost more:

1)Testing and precautions

2)Lack of revenue

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

There are several vaccines in development, I think it is not unreasonable to suspect things might be better by then.

So ask student-athletes to play two seasons in 10 months. Be the guinea pig on a vaccine that history of virus' tells you it will not work....just cancel and since we are so concerned for player safety, show real progress on CTE before we can now start.

14 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This is not a weird twist. 

Of course not. Big Ten presidents and Pac presidents have united to fuck over the college football fan many times in the past. See: all their bitching about the Rose Bowl "tradition," which prevented the sport from moving toward a meaningful postseason for a long time. They have also been a huge roadblock in the quest for playoff expansion.

They may get out over their skis and  fuck themselves right out of any relevance in the immediate future.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Hurtlocker said:

What cost more:

1)Testing and precautions

2)Lack of revenue

Well, TV money goes into a pot. So whatever the teams who play make, you'll get a cut. How much, not sure. Don't underestimate the fear of lawsuits for smaller schools. 

1 minute ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Big Ten players push for loosening of transfer rules for conferences choosing to opt-out in 3......2......1..... 

There's not unlimited spaces on rosters. They can choose to opt to transfer only to have their new team shut down in September. 

Hope things improve for you, brother. People forget that there are real people behind the unemployment numbers and the body count.

No matter how comfortable people are in whichever camp they find themselves, this cannot last forever. Financially, we cannot continue shutting everything down. Many people work from home or work for the government, but many thousands of private businesses can't operate normally and the result is great suffering.

I'm not going to further CR this thread like this post and many others have, but there's a pretty obvious solution to this problem outside of the false dichotomy presented here.

• Hook 'Em 1

Conspiracy theory:  Is it financially more beneficial to ESPN & Fox if the B1G & P12 play in the spring while the SEC-ACC-B12 play in the fall?  College football ratings are much higher than college basketball, correct?  Ratings per game higher in both the fall and spring because of less dilution?  Could the B1G and P12 get more revenue in the future if they became a permanent spring league, with their own playoff, rules, and governance?

Edited by clapclapclap
99% certain this never came up in discussions. 1% "The truth is out there."

Officially official.

Big Ten Statement on 2020-21 Fall Season
8/11/2020 3:00:00 PM

Big Ten Statement on 2020-21 Fall Season

ROSEMONT, Ill. – The Big Ten Conference announced the postponement of the 2020-21 fall sports season, including all regular-season contests and Big Ten Championships and Tournaments, due to ongoing health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

In making its decision, which was based on multiple factors, the Big Ten Conference relied on the medical advice and counsel of the Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee.

“Our primary responsibility is to make the best possible decisions in the interest of our students, faculty and staff,” said Morton Schapiro, Chair of the Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors and Northwestern University President.

“The mental and physical health and welfare of our student-athletes has been at the center of every decision we have made regarding the ability to proceed forward,” said Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren. “As time progressed and after hours of discussion with our Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee, it became abundantly clear that there was too much uncertainty regarding potential medical risks to allow our student-athletes to compete this fall.

“We know how significant the student-athlete experience can be in shaping the future of the talented young women and men who compete in the Big Ten Conference. Although that knowledge made this a painstaking decision, it did not make it difficult. While I know our decision today will be disappointing in many ways for our thousands of student-athletes and their families, I am heartened and inspired by their resilience, their insightful and discerning thoughts, and their participation through our conversations to this point. Everyone associated with the Big Ten Conference and its member institutions is committed to getting everyone back to competition as soon as it is safe to do so.”

The fall sports included in this announcement are men’s and women’s cross country, field hockey, football, men’s and women’s soccer, and women’s volleyball. The Big Ten Conference will continue to evaluate a number of options regarding these sports, including the possibility of competition in the spring. Decisions regarding winter and spring sports will also continue to be evaluated. 

The Big Ten Conference is proud of its 14 world-class research institutions and has leveraged their resources and expertise to address this pandemic over the past five months. The Big Ten Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases and the Big Ten Sports Medicine Committee have engaged in extensive research and sharing of materials and conversations with federal, state and local government agencies, and professional and international sports organizations in order to track and better understand the daily updates surrounding this pandemic. Their advice and counsel have been invaluable as they have worked tirelessly over the past several months in their efforts to create and maintain a safe environment for athletics.

The Big Ten Conference will continue to work with medical experts and governmental authorities to gather additional information, evaluate emerging data and technologies, and monitor developments regarding the pandemic to make the best decisions possible for the health, safety and wellness of our student-athletes.

1 minute ago, clapclapclap said:

Conspiracy theory:  Is it financially more beneficial to ESPN & Fox if the B1G & P12 play in the spring while the SEC-ACC-B12 play in the fall?  College football ratings are much higher than college basketball, correct?  

Yes, they are.

A bit of an unknown on who would watch and if you have half the sport running in the fall and the other half in the spring, which one has the drama?   If no one cares about a Rose Bowl champion, you likely won't see Fall like numbers, even if people watch because a game's on.   Add to that that as spring progresses more people go outside on saturdays as more go inside as the season progresses in the Fall.

I imagine the broadcasters will take content over not, but I'm sure even they're worried about paying out the money in the contract with what's going on

2 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Yes, they are.

A bit of an unknown on who would watch and if you have half the sport running in the fall and the other half in the spring, which one has the drama?   If no one cares about a Rose Bowl champion, you likely won't see Fall like numbers, even if people watch because a game's on.   Add to that that as spring progresses more people go outside on saturdays as more go inside as the season progresses in the Fall.

I imagine the broadcasters will take content over not, but I'm sure even they're worried about paying out the money in the contract with what's going on

I don't think it's as simple as "ten million people watched (a given game) on a Saturday in October last year, so if we move it to February, we'll have ten million viewers". No one knows how the fans are going to react to this.

15 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Of course not. Big Ten presidents and Pac presidents have united to fuck over the college football fan many times in the past. See: all their bitching about the Rose Bowl "tradition," which prevented the sport from moving toward a meaningful postseason for a long time. They have also been a huge roadblock in the quest for playoff expansion.

They may get out over their skis and  fuck themselves right out of any relevance in the immediate future.

They also started the 2010 realignment which made every conference set up considerably worse than it was previously.

Except for maybe the ACC.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Michael Knight said:

Like magic it will have disappeared, or so I've been told

It will be beautiful. All the best people are saying so. It will be glorious. Like a miracle. We will just get up and the sun will be shining and it will all be gone, like a horrible dream. So I’ve heard. That’s what people are saying. 

I would have loved to watch Big10 Football in the Spring. Nothing like a Feb matchup in Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Players would be a greater risk of frostbite than Covid 🙂

Best bet if you are going to cancel season is just truly cancel it and start schedule as normal in spring (traditional spring camp etc)

• Like 1

What a fucking nightmare. I just can't see how it works out with only some conferences playing. I also think outbreaks and cancellations are inevitable, and comparing records when some teams didn't play their full schedules, is going to be a clusterfuck. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, fuck Nebraska. They chose to leave because things weren't "fair" to them. Live with your decisions. 

I would take them and Iowa into the Big 12 in a heartbeat and go back to a normal schedule with two divisions. Fuck this playing OU twice in a year BS, it makes it so hard on the conference. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1