College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What a fucking nightmare. I just can't see how it works out with only some conferences playing. I also think outbreaks and cancellations are inevitable, and comparing records when some teams didn't play their full schedules, is going to be a clusterfuck. 

It's not going to be a real season most likely -- if it even gets close to completed as newly-constructed. It will be teams competing for conference titles, nothing more.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

It's not going to be a real season most likely -- if it even gets close to completed as newly-constructed. It will be teams competing for conference titles, nothing more.

If 3 of the 5 conferences play, there will be a playoff. Pac 12 is irrelevant anyways. We are only really missing out on Ohio State, and fuck em. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Ohio State enters the transfer portal?

Edit:  Realignment almost certainly ain't happening, but I could see the B1G and Pac negotiating with certain schools allowing them to play on their own outside the conf. for a season with some split of the TV rights.  Win-win for both sides (in negotiations, those that play ultimately may pay a heavy price.)

Edited by clapclapclap

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

If 3 of the 5 conferences play, there will be a playoff. Pac 12 is irrelevant anyways. We are only really missing out on Ohio State, and fuck em. 

Perhaps but I wouldn't hold my breath. There will likely be a team outbreak or two (or more) that will fuck things up like it did with the Marlins and Cardinals in baseball.

29 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

What will have changed?

In all seriousness, if you put any credence in the theory that we’re closer to herd immunity than we think because of Pre-existing T cell immunity in a lot of the population, then it could have mostly blown over by then. But, it’s a stretch and obviously not one that many of the medical experts consulted believe in. 

Nebraska's defiance is trying to push for relevance in a conference where they have none. They think this will prop them up with recruits. It won't. At the end of the day, they're still Nebraska in a conference with bigger schools that dominate them. 

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Perhaps but I wouldn't hold my breath. There will likely be a team outbreak or two (or more) that will fuck things up like it did with the Marlins and Cardinals in baseball.

But with their weekly format a team quarantine in football may mean only missing/rescheduling a single game.

Also, as to playoffs, if the conferences manage to complete most of a regular season, I can't see a solid reason for not playing the 3 extra games of the current playoff format.  Especially since there is a multiweek layoff before they begin in which the 4 teams could bubble beforehand.

2 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Also, as to playoffs, if the conferences manage to complete most of a regular season, I can't see a solid reason for not playing the 3 extra games of the current playoff format.  Especially since there is a multiweek layoff before they begin in which the 4 teams could bubble beforehand.

I expect all will cancel within a day or two, but there are some bizarre options at the moment.

If the ACC, Big 12 and SEC decide to push forward, and the Sun Belt has already announced it intends to do the same, that would give that group five of the 11 votes on the College Football Playoff board of managers (Notre Dame has its own vote and they are ACC for now).

But you would only need one more conference between the American and C-USA to play in order to have a majority of the board. That's probably not a hard sell in either case (both offices are in Dallas). So in theory they could vote to hold the playoff on schedule without the fall defectors.

Just now, Bartles said:

I expect all will cancel within a day or two, but there are some bizarre options at the moment.

Sure, but I don't see what the rush is. Announce another delay to the start or fall camps and games and say "we'll re-visit things on September 15." See what happens when students are back on campuses. Unless, of course, they have no intention of playing regardless.

1 minute ago, Bartles said:

If the ACC, Big 12 and SEC decide to push forward, and the Sun Belt has already announced it intends to do the same, that would give that group five of the 11 votes on the College Football Playoff board of managers (Notre Dame has its own vote and they are ACC for now).

But you would only need one more conference between the American and C-USA to play in order to have a majority of the board. That's probably not a hard sell in either case (both offices are in Dallas). So in theory they could vote to hold the playoff on schedule without the fall defectors.

If the ACC, B12, SEC, and ND play and can get in a season (and it won't hurt if the AAC plays)...I cannot imagine why ESPN, who basically is the only media partner in the playoffs, wouldn't have the CFP as scheduled.   The mouse is hemorrhaging money right now, they need the eyeballs as much as CFB does.  

I mean we’re playing right? We have the cover of trying to make the season work with two other leagues going full steam. The alternative is siding with the Pac12 that doesn’t even care about football and the B1G that always tries to dictate everyone else’s move. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Ohio State enters the transfer portal?

Realignment almost certainly ain't happening, but I could see the B1G and Pac negotiating with certain schools allowing them to play on their own outside the conf. for a season with some split of the TV rights.  Win-win for both sides (in negotiations, those that play ultimately may pay a heavy price.)

Man, fuck Rutgers and Illinois. If the Big B1G schools go out on their own, everyone else can live without their TV revenue.

I definitely agree with members of the media that are saying the Big 10 and Pac 12 need to put their medical experts out there to discuss the information given that made the conferences cancel the season. If the other conferences are still going to have a go at it, the information that caused 2 of the 5 to cancel should be out there for public consumption. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I definitely agree with members of the media that are saying the Big 10 and Pac 12 need to put their medical experts out there to discuss the information given that made the conferences cancel the season. If the other conferences are still going to have a go at it, the information that caused 2 of the 5 to cancel should be out there for public consumption. 

Which members of the media are pushing this? Are our medical experts not good enough? Or Duke’s?  The ACC is full of strong academic institutions. 

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

Which members of the media are pushing this? Are our medical experts not good enough? Or Duke’s?  The ACC is full of strong academic institutions. 

The Big 10 media members. And yeah, that's my point. One side's medical experts are saying don't play. The others are saying to play. That info needs to be made public.