College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

33 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

How can anyone truly judge the risks when the numbers are being juked so that people will return to normalcy? Your point might be valid if transparency and trust existed. They do not.

Wait, you think the numbers are being juked so that people will return to normalcy? Holy fucking shit, this is hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think it's that college aged kids aren't paid shit and that means even if the risk is small, there's a LOT of liability...especially the few that are looking at making millions of dollars in the pros.  

This all makes sense to me and could be addressed I would think, but I’m not a lawyer. Announce you’re postponing decision for a week or two. Gather feedback from teams and players. Craft a waiver that limits school liability for long term disability or offers some kind of insurance, but also make sure to cover acute Covid care.  Players can choose to play or not. Done. Maybe I’m seeing things too simply. 

Just now, 4th&Five said:

People leaving their houses too often to go to bars and restaurants and shit that wasn’t essential is a big reason why we won’t have fb. 

I'm sure that is the only reason, absolutely nothing else going on in this country could be contributing to our soaring death infection something that scares people rate.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

now that you're here we need a ruling on myocarditis - the mayo guy says bullshit not to worry - yea or nay.

Not enough is known, there's a real risk but I don't think it's very high.  That's my educated guess and it's likely way too early for that guess to be very educated.  Again - if your players are making 10's of millions of dollars you can sign waivers etc and take the risk to make money that will change you family's entire life.  If you're in college and risk NOT making all that loot by playing you better have some recourse if you get it and end up with serious long term problems...I think the liability is way too high.  But I want football so my brain says all this - and my heart is like the risk is small bro, let's fucking play!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Not enough is known, there's a real risk but I don't think it's very high.  That's my educated guess and it's likely way too early for that guess to be very educated.  Again - if your players are making 10's of millions of dollars you can sign waivers etc and take the risk to make money that will change you family's entire life.  If you're in college and risk NOT making all that loot by playing you better have some recourse if you get it and end up with serious long term problems...I think the liability is way too high.  But I want football so my brain says all this - and my heart is like the risk is small bro, let's fucking play!

I haven’t seen any documented series cases of cardiomyopathy in healthy young adults with Covid.  

if you’re Peter Mpagi and have had an unspecified heart issue since you came here it would make more sense for you to sit. 

Edited by GRHorn

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

This all makes sense to me and could be addressed I would think, but I’m not a lawyer. Announce you’re postponing decision for a week or two. Gather feedback from teams and players. Craft a waiver that limits school liability for long term disability or offers some kind of insurance, but also make sure to cover acute Covid care.  Players can choose to play or not. Done. Maybe I’m seeing things too simply. 

That makes too much sense that the AD’s would ever consider it....but, hold that thought.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So why should anyone leave their houses. It's a fucking worldwide pandemic after all.

if you are not an essential worker, you should NOT leave your home except to get groceries and necessary supplies. and if you do that, wear a fucking mask. if everyone had been following the preceding advice for the past 5 months, we would have kicked the shit out of this virus and college football would not be in jeopardy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

And how pray tell is anyone going to be able afford essential stuff staying at home?

Maybe, like the very concept of insurance itself, our federal government can use the funds we pay into as a life raft for various disasters to keep our country afloat, instead of offering to bail out cruise lines??

If you were so worried about the economy, you should have been for a more total lockdown. because this shit would have been over by now, as it is elsewhere in the world, had we not gone half-measure.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Longhorn94 said:

if you are not an essential worker, you should NOT leave your home except to get groceries and necessary supplies. and if you do that, wear a fucking mask. if everyone had been following the preceding advice for the past 5 months, we would have kicked the shit out of this virus and college football would not be in jeopardy.

Lulz, you don't kick the shit out of a virus. If that was the case, the flu would be something our grandparents tell us about. That's the problem, is people actually believe we are going to eradicate this thing. We are still getting outbreaks of H1N1, but I'm sure you thought we kicked the shit out of that virus, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Be real man, nobody is likely to get myocarditis. Nobody is going to die. Give the players an opt out with no penalty if they are scared. Most players will choose to play to help further their careers. They are safer under the 24 hour medical care they will get at the school than if they get it at home. 

Did you really just say no one is gonna die? Good lord dude

2 minutes ago, BigXII said:

Maybe, like the very concept of insurance itself, our federal government can use the funds we pay into as a life raft for various disasters to keep our country afloat, instead of offering to bail out cruise lines??

If you were so worried about the economy, you should have been for a more total lockdown. because this shit would have been over by now, as it is elsewhere in the world, had we not gone half-measure.

Oh, so you are in favor of totalitarianism, how very Nazi of you.

• Fuck You 6

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

You forgot the protests, they are the ones that fueled this 

You think this is some great big gotcha, but yes, even those were dangerous. It's absolutely awful that the policing in this country is so fucking awful, that people are willingly choosing to continue the spread of a pandemic because they consider the policing to be even more dangerous and detrimental to the country. Like, that's where we are right now, our policing is that fucking awful.

Of course, the simple minded among us would probably equate watching 18 year olds throw around pig skin to police brutality, I'm sure.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

11 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Only if we are using those particular students to generate millions of dollars while giving them a 'free education'.  But yes, any students being used for actual financial gain should not be used for whatever that activity is - unless you can do a bubble like the NBA which is the only way to really mitigate the vast majority of spread. 

The college's are making more money from non-athletes than from athletes, no?

Just now, BigXII said:

You think this is some great big gotcha, but yes, even those were dangerous. It's absolutely awful that the policing in this country is so fucking awful, that people are willingly choosing to continue the spread of a pandemic because they consider the policing to be even more dangerous and detrimental to the country. Like, that's where we are right now, our policing is that fucking awful.

Of course, the simple minded among us would probably equate watching 18 year olds throw around pig skin to police brutality, I'm sure.

Yeah it's sad people had to burn, loot, and murder in the streets and spread covid everywhere. Then the fear driven morons like you blame people who had nothing to do with the spike for the problems.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Oh, so you are in favor of totalitarianism, how very Nazi of you.

Hurr hurr so you're in favor of forcibly injecting everyone with HIV to weed out those too weak to survive hurr hurr

see I can act just like you

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

Ban those 3 :).   I'd be surprised if any of the 4 Texas schools vote not to play, you know both okies are on board as is WVA.  I'd find it hard to believe ISU or KSU would not be on board.

I don't get the impression OU is on board at all.

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Yeah it's sad people had to burn, loot, and murder in the streets and spread covid everywhere. Then the fear driven morons like you blame people who had nothing to do with the spike for the problems.

Except the riots account for a negligible percentage of the current R number.  Floyd murdered 25 May.  The summer spike was in play a month before the riots.

• Hook 'Em 5

26 minutes ago, mdleast said:

It goes without saying but if you’re a CFB fan and are not already subscribed, you really should subscribe to The Athletic. Great piece by Stewart Mandel but incredibly depressing as the actual *its really happening* reality of no CFB this fall just sunk in for me truly for the first time after reading. Yes I know it’s been coming but hope springs eternal and reading his article made me confront the actual reality that I’m not gonna get to watch my A #1 favorite sport this Fall. Damn.

debd7e6df391df3f77cbc9293c47a527.jpg

The Athletic kicks ass...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Horn80 said:

Why play at this point since there can be no real NC (except Aggy) with two Big 5 conferences sitting out?  

Well considering the Pac is the conference with the least number of births into the playoff, they do a good enough job eliminating themselves. Ohio State has already said they would look towards finding another place to play in 2020.

16 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Except the riots account for a negligible percentage of the current R number.  Floyd murdered 25 May.  The summer spike was in play a month before the riots.

Don't be stupid please, the riots caused the spike. Saying it is negligible is insulting to everyone's intelligence. Everyone except far left hacks know this. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So if the bad Negros hadn’t fucked everything up, the good Negros would be able to play football for us like they should?

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Lulz, you don't kick the shit out of a virus. If that was the case, the flu would be something our grandparents tell us about. That's the problem, is people actually believe we are going to eradicate this thing. We are still getting outbreaks of H1N1, but I'm sure you thought we kicked the shit out of that virus, too.

Yes, you do. And almost every other first world country has done so. What you meant to say is you can't completely eradicate or cure a virus but you sure as hell can get it under control with proper precautions, testing, tracing, isolating, PPE, best practices, and treatments. Did H1N1 kill over 160k people in the last 5 months alone? No? oh ok, so completely irrelevant. Ok moving on.