College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 minutes ago, BevoBuck14 said:

Are you arguing there should be a disproportionate amount of liability resulting in cancellation of football season for covid compared to other statistically comparable things that can happen to an athlete, i.e. other forms of myocarditis, cardiomyopathies, heat strokes, rhabdomyolosis, car accidents, CTE? Why does covid warrant shutting down the season but the others don't? What is your solution?

There have been 30 football player deaths from heat stroke since 2000. What kind of long-term effects does a player who survives heat stroke suffer from? Acute myocardial infarction can occur from heat stroke. How do the schools handle this from a liability standpoint? And we know that on average about 2 players die from this every year. It is a serious issue that has caused real loss of life and yet, we pretty much ignore that risk-factor. 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, BevoBuck14 said:

Are you arguing there should be a disproportionate amount of liability resulting in cancellation of football season for covid compared to other statistically comparable things that can happen to an athlete, i.e. other forms of myocarditis, cardiomyopathies, heat strokes, rhabdomyolosis, car accidents, CTE? Why does covid warrant shutting down the season but the others don't? What is your solution?

Yes. 

We know Covid is contagious.

And we know you have the reasoning skills of a grapefruit.

16 minutes ago, BevoBuck14 said:

I think the concern is adding another factor to the mix and increasing the risk, which it will. Look, personally, I am in favor of pushing forward and trying to play.  I can also assure you, as a lawyer, that there are plaintiff’s lawyers already preparing marketing for soliciting and strategy for pursuing claims.  Just what we need — more Thomas J. Henry ads.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t have to because I believe in science. The assumption or theory was that riots caused spikes. It was pointed out by a doctor that a spike did not occur in Chicago after the riots. You can use your google machine to see that New York also did not have spike after heavy riots. You see...your theory is already showing holes. But then I can google when Oregon reopened and it was May 17, which might have contributed to any spike. Maybe? Maybe not? Is this another hole in your theory?

The main point here is you are the one that have to prove your bullshit narrative because it’s your bullshit theory. Please provide evidence. That’s how science works. 

Yet you are easily negating an activity that according to the scientists would have caused massive spread, because a doctor said something on the internet that disagrees with the very science you claim to support. Tell me about land wars in Asia, Vizzini.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Then explain Portland and Oregon’s spike. 

While most ‘experts’ want to chalk it up solely to sloe gin fizz, the more discerning eye will catch more factors at play. Specifically, the location of the booth, the ambient lighting in said booth, the rapidity at which movement was given, and last (but certainly not least) the rapidity at which said movement was accepted,,,,

51 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don’t have to because I believe in science. The assumption or theory was that riots caused spikes. It was pointed out by a doctor that a spike did not occur in Chicago after the riots. You can use your google machine to see that New York also did not have spike after heavy riots. You see...your theory is already showing holes. But then I can google when Oregon reopened and it was May 17, which might have contributed to any spike. Maybe? Maybe not? Is this another hole in your theory?

The main point here is you are the one that have to prove your bullshit narrative because it’s your bullshit theory. Please provide evidence. That’s how science works. 

That’s what I thought. You have no good explanation when the insanely obvious is pointed in front of you as a rebuttal against your bias. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This seems unnecessarily reactive. Why don't they test for cardiac issues before an athlete tests positive? They should test all players prior to participation if everyone is already going to be laying out increased expenses for medical testing.

Maybe someone here has better knowledge of the process but I imagine they do on intake physicals. Pretty sure I’ve read they do at least an echocardiogram to look for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. That’s the condition that predisposes you to sudden arrest. I’m not sure what other specific Pre existing cardiac conditions exist that would predispose you to myocarditis. We’ve all heard about Mpagi’s cardiac issue whatever it is. Somehow that came to light. Appreciate the negs btw. Keep em coming. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, GRHorn said:

Maybe someone here has better knowledge of the process but I imagine they do on intake physicals. Pretty sure I’ve read they do at least an echocardiogram to look for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. That’s the condition that predisposes you to sudden arrest. I’m not sure what other specific Pre existing cardiac conditions exist that would predispose you to myocarditis. We’ve all heard about Mpagi’s cardiac issue whatever it is. Somehow that came to light. Appreciate the negs btw. Keep em coming. 

I believe Texas does this but I'm not sure if every school does this.

Negged for crying about getting negged.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This seems unnecessarily reactive. Why don't they test for cardiac issues before an athlete tests positive? They should test all players prior to participation if everyone is already going to be laying out increased expenses for medical testing.

This is probably alluding to enhanced testing for myocarditis/pericarditis and cardiomyopathy that develop as a result of covid with ultrasound, cardiac markers, ekg, etc for all. There's no reliable way to predict who will develop those from covid.

Edited by BevoBuck14

3 minutes ago, BevoBuck14 said:

This is probably alluding to enhanced testing for myocarditis/pericarditis and cardiomyopathy that develop as a result of covid with ultrasound, cardiac markers, egg, etc for all. There's no way to predict who will develop that from covid.

That would certainly make sense, so I agree that should be the correct answer (hard to get the full explanation into a tweet). But if any schools don't run standard heart screens for all their players then I would think they should be doing it for this season.

Edited by Huckleberry

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d let BYU for one year only. I doubt AAC teams can afford the medical precautions the Big 12 has in place, but BYU could probably swing it. 

And Mormons are not exactly going to bars and clubs getting sick, either. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

I keep coming back to this but......

The denial, anger, and bargaining we’re all living through is only going to make the depression worse.

Foresight-stages-of-grief-3.jpg

I think this vote is different. This is the schools acknowledging the risks and agreeing they can proceed in a vote. It doesn’t guarantee it will happen but it’s significant. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I believe Texas does this but I'm not sure if every school does this.

Negged for crying about getting negged.

I was just surprised. It’s usually the lower quality posters that feel the need to take part in such activities.