College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Did any outbreaks happen after the nascar event with 30k fans? College stadiums are massive. Would be pretty easy to already 20-30k fans throughout a stadium

I don't think the stadium itself is a huge problem.   But even at 25% capacity, restrooms, entrance, egress, concessions, are all going to be issues.  Especially the restrooms.  Those are enclosed, dank, gross viral breeding grounds even under the best of circumstances.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I think this vote is different. This is the schools acknowledging the risks and agreeing they can proceed in a vote. It doesn’t guarantee it will happen but it’s significant. 

It’s significant like the release of the B1G schedule was significant last Friday.

When the lawyers sink their teeth in and show the Presidents their liability / exposure when and if a kid get sick, then it’s:

tfw GIF

The Confederate Football Playoff isn’t going to hold up. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

It’s significant like the release of the B1G schedule was significant last Friday.

When the lawyers sink their teeth in and show the Presidents their liability / exposure when and if a kid get sick, then it’s:

tfw GIF

The Confederate Football Playoff isn’t going to hold up. 

I mean, “kids” have already been getting sick. And the vast majority of them still want to play. 

• Like 1

I don't think the stadium itself is a huge problem.   But even at 25% capacity, restrooms, entrance, egress, concessions, are all going to be issues.  Especially the restrooms.  Those are enclosed, dank, gross viral breeding grounds even under the best of circumstances.

Boxed concessions at every seat for every game. Water bottles only, piss or shit your pants

Just now, SuperSport said:

F that, I still have Taysom Hill PTSD. Don’t me.

I believe BYU’s current coach is two games over .500 in his tenure, and they don’t have the bionic man at QB. 

I’d also be fine playing only 9 games. Whoever wins the Big 12 is going to advance. To what exactly is anybody’s guess. 

Just now, Dnaguy said:

When the lawyers sink their teeth in and show the Presidents their liability / exposure when and if a kid get sick

Feels like more than just lawyers and liability causing such a quick change of direction by the B1G since last week...

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Did any outbreaks happen after the nascar event with 30k fans? College stadiums are massive. Would be pretty easy to distance 20-30k fans throughout a stadium

Unless you’re frenching the stranger next to you, outdoor transmission would be next to impossible 6 ft away outside

minnesota's stadium holds 50.805.  20k-30k fans is half that.  that ain't 6 feet away and it couldn't be controlled anyway.  also, utee is right that it would take 6 hours to ingress and egress.  it would also render the entire thing pointless as the atmosphere would be worthless.

shit sucks man. 

big 12 vote is delaying inevitable.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

If BYU and Nebraska want in the Big12 for one year (the latter ain’t happening because Grant of Rights and such,) the conference should agree provided both play every game on the road.  

I think the Nebraska rumors are Frost stirring up the media. The Big Ten would come down on them like a ton of bricks if they played in the fall. 

BYU is the only well funded Indy available. 

11 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Did any outbreaks happen after the nascar event with 30k fans? College stadiums are massive. Would be pretty easy to distance 20-30k fans throughout a stadium

Unless you’re frenching the stranger next to you, outdoor transmission would be next to impossible 6 ft away outside

Hahahaha no it wouldn’t. Why do you think the MLB and the NBA are playing without fans? Or the South Korean baseball league? God damn dude you have really shown yourself. You’re one dumb mother fucker. Please take the Longhorn out of your handle. You’re not a Longhorn. 

I mean, “kids” have already been getting sick. And the vast majority of them still want to play.-Newy, luckily it’s not up to them 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

Hahahaha no it wouldn’t. Why do you think the MLB and the NBA are playing without fans? Or the South Korean baseball league? God damn dude you have really shown yourself. You’re one dumb mother fucker. Please take the Longhorn out of your handle. You’re not a Longhorn. 

I mean, “kids” have already been getting sick. And the vast majority of them still want to play.-Newy, luckily it’s not up to them 

Please follow your own advice and quit shitting in this thread. Name calling by a presumably a 46 yr old is immature and makes the rest of Longhorn nation look amateur.

20 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Were they at NASCAR college going to parties in dorms, fraternity houses, and apartments?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I mean, “kids” have already been getting sick. And the vast majority of them still want to play. 

In another stunning move, the Big12 presidents decided to change the logo of the league.

When pressed on why, the Presidents did not offer a response. Even in a crazy year like 2020, no one could have predicted that in addition to agreeing to play in a pandemic that the league would take such drastic marketing measures. It seemed also very confusing as the league only relatively recently decided to change their logo after the departure of 4 institutions and the adding of TCU and West Virginia to get the league to 10 teams.

But, I guess nothing is surprising in the new normal. And one has to just take kind of look to the new logo for guidance.:

The Big ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Football Means More

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Why do I get the feeling the Big 12 is still going to cancel in a few weeks and they're more just kicking the can down the road so they don't look reactionary and following any other conference's lead?

It’s definitely possible 

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Please follow your own advice and quit shitting in this thread. Name calling by a presumably a 46 yr old is immature and makes the rest of Longhorn nation look amateur.

The stop posting insanely stupid shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

A lot of the respectable football board types resort to name calling when their point of view is challenged.

Or so I hear.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, utee94 said:

So they are holding football games in South Austin's mom's vagina?

• Haha 1

this would be a good time for people to reconsider their allegiances

I don't think you can understate the importance of doing what is right. If your school insists on playing football this fall in the face of what you consider to be unreasonable risk of illness, long-term damage, and DEATH!!!!!!, your school is clearly violating your moral code and doesn't deserve your support. 

1 minute ago, Knighthawk said:

I just can’t put my finger on the reason the big and pac bailed on fall football while the b12 , sec, and ACC are going to play.   What could it be?

Liability. Or their medical experts scared them a lot more than the other 3's. 

3 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

I just can’t put my finger on the reason the big and pac bailed on fall football while the b12 , sec, and ACC are going to play.   What could it be?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and a helluva lot of us fans that wanna watch :)

Edited by BevoSwag

Fall college football playoff= Bama, clemson, Texas, LSU

Spring college football playoffs = Ohio St, Boise St,Miami(Ohio) and North Dakota state

Same weekend the first round of March madness
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

this would be a good time for people to reconsider their allegiances

I don't think you can understate the importance of doing what is right. If your school insists on playing football this fall in the face of what you consider to be unreasonable risk of illness, long-term damage, and DEATH!!!!!!, your school is clearly violating your moral code and doesn't deserve your support. 

I agree. If you disagree with this, you should go root for Michigan State or Penn State who have recently been the beacon for all moral compasses to point to. 

• Hook 'Em 4

53 minutes ago, sidis said:

minnesota's stadium holds 50.805.  20k-30k fans is half that.  that ain't 6 feet away and it couldn't be controlled anyway.  also, utee is right that it would take 6 hours to ingress and egress.  it would also render the entire thing pointless as the atmosphere would be worthless.

shit sucks man. 

big 12 vote is delaying inevitable.

Sidis:  Who's the hot chick in your Avatar?

46 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Why do I get the feeling the Big 12 is still going to cancel in a few weeks and they're more just kicking the can down the road so they don't look reactionary and following any other conference's lead?

I think they'll be last to stay, last to leave.

Strive to mediocrity, eg. do what our competitors do, is the American way

47 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Uh....so far...so good.  Play it by ear.  Think positive.  

Then if it don't work out
Then if it don't work out
Then you can just say goodbye.

Mentioned this earlier, but if either American or Conference USA plays, that would give the "play" group a majority of the CFP board of managers (that's what they call their governing group). Seems like a no brainer if they can swing it financially, especially the AAC champ would have a legit shot at the playoff (Memphis favored, Cincy and SMU both pretty good).

That would leave the Rose Bowlers playing their spring conference games for...maybe a few sympathy poll votes? Ohio State can win every game by 40 and it would be tough to justify over an SEC/BIG/Clemson team that won its conference plus a semifinal and NCG.

1 hour ago, sidis said:

the two oklahoma schools would never vote no.  with commodity prices where they are, the only hope for any economy there is football economy.

Oklahoma has been signaling all summer that they are not interested in playing. Whatever Riley’s angle, he doesn’t want to play. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1