College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Why do I get the feeling the Big 12 is still going to cancel in a few weeks and they're more just kicking the can down the road so they don't look reactionary and following any other conference's lead?

Nope. No way. They might cancel if they feel like they have to because of events in the ground- but they’d have pulled the plug today if they didn’t believe they were going to have a season. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nope. No way. They might cancel if they feel like they have to because of events in the ground- but they’d have pulled the plug today if they didn’t believe they were going to have a season. 

I think they just really don't want there to not be a season so are grasping at straws.

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I think they just really don't want there to not be a season so are grasping at straws.

These are the presidents of the universities. That’s not how any of this works. They think this whole thing is possible or they’d have folded their cards with the Rose Bowlers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

These are the presidents of the universities. That’s not how any of this works. They think this whole thing is possible or they’d have folded their cards with the Rose Bowlers. 

We'll see. I cannot see into their hearts. But unless they know something I don't I have a hard time seeing what they are thinking.

Delaying, either to September or January, is probably the best move under the circumstances so here we go.

This fracture might provide even greater motivation among the "play" contingent to keep everyone virus-free. They will study the B1G/Pac medical findings and take them seriously. Donors and sponsors will offer more money to improve testing and try to create a bubble-type environment as legally as possible (LOL).

Despite some of the public comments, you can't take the "it's not that serious" approach, you have to try to keep cases near zero. IMO, still an uphill climb just to get some games in. We'll learn a lot from campus and K-12 openings as the weeks go by.

3 hours ago, Sejjr said:

There have been 30 football player deaths from heat stroke since 2000. What kind of long-term effects does a player who survives heat stroke suffer from? Acute myocardial infarction can occur from heat stroke. How do the schools handle this from a liability standpoint? And we know that on average about 2 players die from this every year. It is a serious issue that has caused real loss of life and yet, we pretty much ignore that risk-factor. 

Opioids, steroids, CTE..  the list goes on.   This is about money/liability so I guess they think the climate and focus increases the potential lawsuits and reflective settlement figures.

Edited by DenverHorn

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Boxed concessions at every seat for every game. Water bottles only, piss or shit your pants

Save your damn bottles and piss in them later if necessary.  It's called recycling. We can all do our part for the sake of the game.

Wear depends if you can't set through a football game without having to go to a nasty shitter.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

This seems unnecessarily reactive. Why don't they test for cardiac issues before an athlete tests positive? They should test all players prior to participation if everyone is already going to be laying out increased expenses for medical testing.

Because they do test for cardiac issues.  

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Oklahoma has been signaling all summer that they are not interested in playing. Whatever Riley’s angle, he doesn’t want to play. 

CFB guy on Finebaum today (think from Yahoo) said Riley laid out a plan on some B12 call where Spring Football could work... so yah might be right about Riley not wanting or believing B12 will play this fall.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

CFB guy on Finebaum today (think from Yahoo) said Riley laid out a plan on some B12 call where Spring Football could work... so yah might be right about Riley not wanting or believing B12 will play this fall.

He’s got a RS fresh QB and no high profile transfer.  We have a SR QB who is a fringe Heisman candidate.  He can recruit based on last year’s results, not this year’s results.  IT’s not that complicated.  If Fields from OSU texts Riley tonight and says I want to play for blowU, his tune will change immediately.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

I keep coming back to this but......

The denial, anger, and bargaining we’re all living through is only going to make the depression worse.

Foresight-stages-of-grief-3.jpg

I've got it covered. In a "go ugly early" take on this, I've been depressed about it for the last two weeks sooo I'm good.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BigXII said:

I love when dumbasses say "just give weekly covid19 tests to the 70+ members on the team" as though the state of Texas was anywhere close to meeting the covid 19 testing numbers recommended by the CDC. The general public can't get a test, but bubba dumbass wants to waste thousands of tests because he can't imagine a world where he doesn't get to watch 18 year olds play a game for just one season.

I brought this point up months ago. To be clear the general public can definitely get a test now but they may wait 7-14 days for a result. It’s a really bad look and it’s way way more than 70 tests per team. By the time you test the teams, coaches, staffs, stadium people, tv people, etc. I’d guess you are looking at well over 1000 tests to play a game. And they are talking about doing it multiple times a week. Talk about tone deaf.

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I brought this point up months ago. To be clear the general public can definitely get a test now but they may wait 7-14 days for a result. It’s a really bad look and it’s way way more than 70 tests per team. By the time you test the teams, coaches, staffs, stadium people, tv people, etc. I’d guess you are looking at well over 1000 tests to play a game. And they are talking about doing it multiple times a week. Talk about tone deaf.

We live in a state that really doesn’t give a fuck about any of that.

5 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

if you are not an essential worker, you should NOT leave your home except to get groceries and necessary supplies. and if you do that, wear a fucking mask. if everyone had been following the preceding advice for the past 5 months, we would have kicked the shit out of this virus and college football would not be in jeopardy.

And we didn’t even need to do it for 5 months. 6-8 weeks would have worked. But here we are. October is going to be a bitch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Surprise.  This is the year we are forced to find something different to do on Saturdays.  Not unlike the 60s, when there was one, ONE game on TV and your favorite team's game on radio, if you lived near enough to a network station.  I can live without football for one year.  Kind of like lent and football is the food you give up for a few weeks.  I've always wanted to learn Portuguese. Filho da puta filho da puta.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There is no way in hell ISU voted to cancel the season.

KU was one, TCU was the other, and whoever was the third would stun me.

TCU was definitely not one. Chancellor, AD, and GP have all indicated support for playing. Check your facts. 

TCU was definitely not one. Chancellor, AD, and GP have all indicated support for playing. Check your facts. 

I’m just trying to figure out who it was.

Outside of KU, I can’t really see any of the schools saying no. I voted TCU because they strike me as kind of apathetic in general
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

The odds are so far in their favor that I can say this with near certainty. Tons of players have had it already, and they're fine. And we get it dude, you're a doctor, with more free time than any doctor I know, providing your opinion. I have family members who are doctors that feel covid is overblown and fear driven.  Lots of opinions and yours isn't superior to every other doctors opinion. 

There is no way, no fucking way, anyone in your gene pool is a doctor.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I agree with this; they are starting the season

9 hours ago, Fletch said:

It’s not happening dude. Wake up. 

The BIG12 presidents had plenty of cover to follow the lead of the the PAC12 and the B10; they didn't

They will at least start the season, it is happening, and you are going to go ballistic -- these are all facts

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

The only thing that has changed is the amount of candidates to choose from. The Playoff Committee will still choose 4 teams using their eyeball test. 

The Big 10 and PAC-12 can play in the spring if they want (narrator: they won’t) and crown themselves Rose Bowl champs. 

I’m sure there will be an asterisk next to the season anyway with conference only schedules, etc, but the Team holding up the trophy won’t give a shit and neither will their fans. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm all for Nebraska coming back, but it has to be permanent, they have to take a partial cut for awhile, and they need to erect a statue of Bevo sodomizing Tom Osborne in front of Memorial Stadium.

You should hire someone to negotiate for the B12, because like The Ransom of Red Chief, I think you could get the B1G Ten to pay you to take them back.