College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

I think they will play the first game and see how it goes

It may not even get that far.  The general student body will be returning to Austin in advance of the season, and it's possible that some amount of those kids, along with the football players, will break all safety protocol and socially gather.  It only takes a spark.     

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

It may not even get that far.  The general student body will be returning to Austin in advance of the season, and it's possible that some amount of those kids, along with the football players, will break all safety protocol and socially gather.  It only takes a spark.     

Sure. And that’s totally possible. But the presidents didn’t say let’s push on with practices and the idea we are going to play to fool these rubes so we can cancel at the last minute. 

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

I brought this point up months ago. To be clear the general public can definitely get a test now but they may wait 7-14 days for a result. It’s a really bad look and it’s way way more than 70 tests per team. By the time you test the teams, coaches, staffs, stadium people, tv people, etc. I’d guess you are looking at well over 1000 tests to play a game. And they are talking about doing it multiple times a week. Talk about tone deaf.

Who is still waiting 7-10 days for test results. I am a doctor on TV and every lab I know can get results in 24 hours or less.

I'm all for Nebraska coming back, but it has to be permanent, they have to take a partial cut for awhile, and they need to erect a statue of Bevo sodomizing Tom Osborne in front of Memorial Stadium.

That's like asking for a diamond when you are just filling in for the weekend while the girlfriend is going to visit her sister.

1 hour ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

I agree with this; they are starting the season

The BIG12 presidents had plenty of cover to follow the lead of the the PAC12 and the B10; they didn't

They will at least start the season, it is happening, and you are going to go ballistic -- these are all facts

Hahahahaha keep telling yourself that. I’ll live in reality 

10 hours ago, DenverHorn said:

Heat Stroke, Opioids, steroids, CTE..  the list goes on.   This is about money/liability so I guess they think the climate and focus increases the potential lawsuits and reflective settlement figures.

Yep. Plus, in all of those cases, there's no chance the student athletes can spread those things to family members, friends, or fellow students on campus - potentially expanding the liability geometrically.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. And that’s totally possible. But the presidents didn’t say let’s push on with practices and the idea we are going to play to fool these rubes so we can cancel at the last minute. 

Oh, I completely agree.  Texas has the money and resources to wait, rather than make a hasty decision right now based on future scenarios that have not played out.  I support the University for doing so.  I'm just flagging the likelihood that after taking its time to see how events unfold, Texas could be forced to pull the plug before we get to the season opener. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, justhookit said:

I brought this point up months ago. To be clear the general public can definitely get a test now but they may wait 7-14 days for a result. It’s a really bad look and it’s way way more than 70 tests per team. By the time you test the teams, coaches, staffs, stadium people, tv people, etc. I’d guess you are looking at well over 1000 tests to play a game. And they are talking about doing it multiple times a week. Talk about tone deaf.

Who is still waiting 7-10 days for test results. I am a doctor on TV and every lab I know can get results in 24 hours or less.

4 minutes ago, Alex Karev said:

You just have to flirt with the hot but nerdy looking lab chick a little bit to make that happen. Probably get them to you while  you are standing there. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Mmhhhhmmmm sure. O and D lineman aren’t fat as fuck (most of the time) or anything. Christ what is it with you fucking people!?!?
htown is cool with college athletes dying so he can watch football 

While I agree with you point, as a former college OL I take offense.

Seriously though, In today’s game OL and DL are the some of the best athletes on the field.

3 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

While I agree with you point, as a former college OL I take offense. emoji41.png

Seriously though, In today’s game OL and DL are the some of the best athletes on the field.

No shit.  Many can run a sub-5 40.  We are talking about superb athletes in among the least dangerous demographic range.  

I'm all for Nebraska coming back, but it has to be permanent, they have to take a partial cut for awhile, and they need to erect a statue of Bevo sodomizing Tom Osborne in front of Memorial Stadium.

I’m down with the statue, but Nebraska can suck a dick. Hate everything about that school and everyone I ever met that went there.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I think there's definitely legs to Riley wanting to punt on 2020 to give Rattler another year to develop while Ehlinger graduates.

But I'd think there's a good possibility Ehlinger, and everyone else in their last year of eligibility, will be allowed to play in 2021.  Sure, Rattler will get an extra year to develop (and eat dicks), but if this season is scrapped, Riley shouldn't bet that Ehlinger won't be on the field in October 2021.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

But I'd think there's a good possibility Ehlinger, and everyone else in their last year of eligibility, will be allowed to play in 2021.  Sure, Rattler will get an extra year to develop (and eat dicks), but if this season is scrapped, Riley shouldn't bet that Ehlinger won't be on the field in October 2021.

Sam isn’t even in his last year of eligibility. He could take a regular redshirt and play in 2021 without the ncaa taking extra measures. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I think there's definitely legs to Riley wanting to punt on 2020 to give Rattler another year to develop while Ehlinger graduates.

How does anyone not see this, it’s pretty obvious. The Ratller kid may turn out to be special, but if Riley can avoid throwing him out early, he will. And he sure as hell doesn’t want to bring a rookie to Dallas against an upperclassman. He waits, he faces a rookie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

This is 100% why the Pac12 and B1G aren't playing. It only takes one. One player, one coach, one trainer, one manager, one ball boy, one ref, etc. to get COVID and have things go south. Is it likely to happen? Probably not but this is all about mitigating risk. Giving up one football seasons sucks donkey dick but is a hell of a lot better then destroying an entire University if it turns ugly. 

48 minutes ago, Alex Karev said:

Nonsense.  Everyone knows that on TV crime shows that you can inject a sample into a GC/MS and get results in 30 seconds.  Lol

9 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

I wish they wouldn't.  That would make TPTB more likely to strong-arm you all into cancelling. 

Nebie might have to sit out the year, but could counter that a loss of tv revenue voids GoR..? 
Funny, in the entire Great Lakes region, the only game at P5 level this fall..? The Irish & ACC...

8 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

How does anyone not see this, it’s pretty obvious. The Ratller kid may turn out to be special, but if Riley can avoid throwing him out early, he will. And he sure as hell doesn’t want to bring a rookie to Dallas against an upperclassman. He waits, he faces a rookie.

Because most of us don't start drinking until 11.

I hate Nebraska in ways a Texas fan couldn't possibly understand.  So I get this.
But I miss having that kind of hate in conference.  I don't really hate anyone in the Big 12 except for Baylor, and that doesn't really have anything to do with sports.  If you're a fan of a Big 8 school other than maybe Oklahoma, you hate Nebraska with every fucking fiber of your being and miss having the opportunity to punk them, or given the case with their recent program, just reign blows down upon their ragged corpse as payback for 50 years of dominance, and then taking their ball, going home, and leaving us for dead on the side of the road.
God, I fucking hate those cock suckers.

I hear you and admire your hatred of Nebraska. My hatred is on a more personal level that I won’t go into. I feel they ran away like gaping vaginas and they should fucking deal with it. Fuck em. But you guys should totally get them on your schedule every year in non-conference play. I’d like to see you even the score.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I don’t get the Nebraska hate. We owned them. Yeah they bailed and were bitches but I put that more on Osborne. I’ve always found Nebraska fans to be great and I really enjoyed my trips to Lincoln. Winning helps that.

Nebraska fans were a bunch of little bitches out on the town the night after their (sole) B12 win over Texas in San Antonio.  Screw 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Horn of Gabriel said:

I don’t get the Nebraska hate. We owned them. Yeah they bailed and were bitches but I put that more on Osborne. I’ve always found Nebraska fans to be great and I really enjoyed my trips to Lincoln. Winning helps that.

It is the pouting, crybaby lying ass way that they left. They are little pissant weeping shitheads and they can suck it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

Football or no, I think this is the end of Nebraska in the Big 10.  It was a mistake for both parties.

It was never a fit. They have always acted like the spoiled 8 year old brat who thinks they are better than everyone else because their mom and dad were HS sports stars 25 years ago. Nobody gives a shit and time has moved on but they keep living in the DISTANT past. They left the Big 12 because they weren't getting the "respect" they thought they deserved and instead of checking their ego at the door when moving to the Big 10 they decided to let everyone know that things were going to change now that big bad Nebraska was here. 

All bark and no bite from Lincoln. They lose and continue to lose and fall further into College Football obscurity and battle it out for 4th place in the Big Ten West with Purdue and Northwestern every year. 

Nebraska needs the Big Ten a hell of a lot more then then Big Ten needs Nebraska.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1