College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Your'e confusing relevance with on field success. There is no debate that Texas is still one of the most relevant programs in CFB. Texas still leads the nation in revenue almost every year, and has one of the biggest fan bases in the country. We have more social media interactions than any other school in the country. There's endless data showing our program's relevancy. Not only is Nebraska not winning, but their fan base and relevancy numbers have dropped off a cliff and won't come back. 

not to mention Texas being in the center of one of the best 3 recruiting grounds in country, arguably the best

• Like 1

I’d take Nebraska in the Big 12 or in realignment under one simple condition. They have to do a press release and press conference admitting they lied about the circumstances and facts behind their departure from the Big 12 and own up to being spoiled bratty punks with outsized delusions about their importance to college football.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’d take Nebraska in the Big 12 or in realignment under one simple condition. They have to do a press release and press conference admitting they lied about the circumstances and facts behind their departure from the Big 12 and own up to being spoiled bratty punks with outsized delusions about their importance to college football.

I would also like for Tom Osborne to eat a couple of pounds of Bevo’s shit, and for that event to be televised live on LHN.

• Hook 'Em 3

According to USA Today, Nebraska has the 21st highest athletic revenue which would put them 3rd in the Big 12.  Even with the revenue drop from B1G, they would probably still be the third richest program in the Big 12.  To me, they are a no brainer addition from a conference standpoint and way better than any of the candidates that have been added or discussed for the future.

Plus it would change the whole "narrative" around the Big 12 and the other conferences.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, burdine said:

According to USA Today, Nebraska has the 21st highest athletic revenue which would put them 3rd in the Big 12.  Even with the revenue drop from B1G, they would probably still be the third richest program in the Big 12.  To me, they are a no brainer addition from a conference standpoint and way better than any of the candidates that have been added or discussed for the future.

Plus it would change the whole "narrative" around the Big 12 and the other conferences.  

Doesn't exactly help you in the conference stability department. 

5 minutes ago, pops said:

Nobody gladly welcomes byu. 

Nah Provo is fantastic to visit. I went there and watch Mack and company completely shit the bed allowing Hill to set records. If I get to visit Provo and watch the Horns within a day drive from my home, I'm in.

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

While I agree with you point, as a former college OL I take offense. emoji41.png

Seriously though, In today’s game OL and DL are the some of the best athletes on the field.

True but then there’s the Koburns and Hughes NCAA that are pretty high risk. 

I hear you and admire your hatred of Nebraska. My hatred is on a more personal level that I won’t go into. I feel they ran away like gaping vaginas and they should fucking deal with it. Fuck em. But you guys should totally get them on your schedule every year in non-conference play. I’d like to see you even the score.

I agree. ISU is a better team.

But after Home and home losses nebby would run like the bitches they are.

God they are such pussies.

54 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You seem extremely invested.

Sorry for bringing information on threats posed to CFB in 2020 in a thread about dangers to CFB in 2020. One would think we are all invested, to one degree or another, in college football since we're on Surly Horns.

• Fuck You 1

You  are out of your mind if you don't want Nebraska back in this conference. This conference needs Nebraska and Nebraska needs this conference. You add Nebraska and any other team (maybe Cincinnati for the market and proximity to WVU) and we go back to 12, get a real championship game and move away from the Texas-centric geography that killed the SWC. 
Sure, they acted like total cunts when they left, but it was a bad breakup for everybody. They have been circling the drain since they left and honestly, we have too. Still, they are one of the blue bloods of college football. If you have a chance to add them to your conference, it's a no brainer. Their rivalry with OU and history with the rest of the Big 8 leftovers is something that you can't buy or manufacture. That shit still matters in this sport.
Also... a lot has changed with regard to media rights since they bailed. Cord cutting is going to make the next Big 10 TV deal look a lot different than their current one. 

No. Nebby is about as relevant as Iowa. They haven’t been good in TWENTY FIVE years. Think about that.

Hot big tit girls have gotten fat since Nebraska was last worth a shit.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I hate Nebraska in ways a Texas fan couldn't possibly understand.  So I get this.

But I miss having that kind of hate in conference.  I don't really hate anyone in the Big 12 except for Baylor, and that doesn't really have anything to do with sports.  If you're a fan of a Big 8 school other than maybe Oklahoma, you hate Nebraska with every fucking fiber of your being and miss having the opportunity to punk them, or given the case with their recent program, just reign blows down upon their ragged corpse as payback for 50 years of dominance, and then taking their ball, going home, and leaving us for dead on the side of the road.

God, I fucking hate those cock suckers.

Being a Kstate fan I agree with this 100%. They beat up on Kstate and the other Big8 schools (minus OU) for 60+ years, just pummeling our faces in while smiling about what great fans they are. When Kstate finally started beating NU consistently (5-2 from 98-04) they couldn't take it and fired Solich which started their downward spiral to where they are now. Then they left us and their 100+ year history with the Big8 schools to prove they were still relevant. 

I would have loved nothing more than to have spent the last 10 years jumping up and down on their dying corpse as corn kernels shot from their mouth like BB's. 

I want them back in the Big12 for that reason alone, to kick them while they are down until there is no more leather left on my shoes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ted Dantzler said:

Being a Kstate fan I agree with this 100%. They beat up on Kstate and the other Big8 schools (minus OU) for 60+ years, just pummeling our faces in while smiling about what great fans they are. When Kstate finally started beating NU consistently (5-2 from 98-04) they couldn't take it and fired Solich which started their downward spiral to where they are now. Then they left us and their 100+ year history with the Big8 schools to prove they were still relevant. 

I would have loved nothing more than to have spent the last 10 years jumping up and down on their dying corpse as corn kernels shot from their mouth like BB's. 

I want them back in the Big12 for that reason alone, to kick them while they are down until there is no more leather left on my shoes. 

Love it.

In other news, I believe Farmageddon will become the longest uninterrupted rivalry in college football if we play this year. 

10 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

So to avoid paying lawsuits, the Big 10 passed up a minimum of 70 million dollars? Not to be cold, but wouldn't one think the payouts in a lawsuit would be far less than that even in a worst case scenario? 

perhaps they value the health and safety of their students athletes over the revenue they bring in?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ted Dantzler said:

LOL The main reason everyone wants Nebraska back in the Big 12 is to hate fuck em to death. Not that it's a bad thing just funny.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Big Frog II said:

Can someone with more talent than me, which is most everyone, post a picture of a Cornhusker outside the window.  I think that would be fitting today.

4 hours ago, TXpride said:

image.png.756d9f66d1fd92d9c30ee56cac9944af.png

Edited by JMFP
Thanks but upvote TXpride!
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

League just waiting for the right time to announce we're calling things off, right? Even getting volleyball and soccer in on the grand deception!

Three tests per week is basically what MLB has been doing. Not sure where the money/supplies come from but it's a good step

Only missing is a prostate exam for the guys.   Then it’s all covered. 

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Not just sub 5. Sub 4.9. At 300+ lbs. these guys are ridiculous. I’m kind is sick of the ol are fat meme right now. I was never fat. I was strong as fuck. Shit I deadlifted 605 last Thursday.

Watching nfl and college level ol vs dL battles every play is outstanding. It’s the best part of football.

Rolling over one of Vic's conquests does not count as a 'deadlift'.

Impressive, but not a sanctioned deadlift.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Did this get posted?   I'm way behind.

Shatel: Is this the beginning of the end of Nebraska in the Big Ten?

This will be the day that changed everything. The shape of universities. The fabric of college football. The strength and charm of so many college towns.

The dominoes are about to fall and they’re going to land on a lot of good people.

And one might happen that we didn’t expect.

Will we remember this as the beginning of the end of Nebraska and the Big Ten?

Absolutely. And the way the Big Ten and Kevin Warren have conducted themselves, that would be a good thing.

The signals were sent initially by Scott Frost on Monday and retransmitted on Tuesday by Frost, NU President Ted Carter, Chancellor Ronnie Green and Athletic Director Bill Moos.

They were received in all corners of the internet world. On Tuesday, I was a guest on a sports talk show in San Francisco.

First question: “Is Nebraska bolting for the Big 12?”

After the Big Ten postponed football, does Nebraska plan a Hail Mary?

I don’t hear any denials coming out of Lincoln. Or Chicago.

This came up because Frost on Monday said that while NU was a “proud member of the Big Ten,” it was not so proud that it wouldn’t look for other schools to play if the Big Ten shut down this fall.

Frost, along with NU’s top brass, reiterated that intent on Tuesday after the Big Ten’s announcement.

Now, is Nebraska actually going to play any games this fall? Not if every other league is shut down, too. But really, that was beside the point.

That was Nebraska doing more than asserting its displeasure with the Big Ten. It looked like a cry for help, a flare to any other conference that might be paying attention.

Say, one to the south.

You can guarantee it was heard to the north and east — all the way to ESPN, where Northwestern grad Michael Wilbon went on a Nebraska rant. Wilbon accused Nebraska of whining and added, “The Big Ten has operated for 116 seasons, mostly damn successful, without Nebraska ...”

He added that he hoped someone on the Big Ten presidents call told Nebraska to “get the hell out.”

Looks like this shotgun marriage could be on the rocks.

Among Big Ten athletic directors and their statements, Nebraska clearly stands alone

It’s important to remember that 10 years ago, Nebraska was running away from the Big 12 — not running to the Big Ten.

It’s a move that provided NU security and money, and that’s about it. Frankly, it’s been an odd fit.

Nebraska football has been in various stages of construction and remodeling. It hasn’t been anything special. But neither has the Big Ten.

It looks a lot less impressive in the post-Jim Delany era.

The Big Ten’s move, particularly in light of the link between COVID-19 and the heart condition myocarditis, was not a surprise. It’s been speculated this would be the result.

Part of the appeal of the Big Ten was that it looked calculating and smart, always a chess move ahead of the rest.

Apparently that was Delany.

Now, navigating a pandemic is hard. But the Big Ten has made some strange moves of late. It shocked the other major conferences last month by announcing it would play conference games only.

Then, last week it released a full Big Ten schedule for the 2020 season. Six days later, it was over.

Then came Warren’s interview Tuesday on the Big Ten Network. It was eye-opening. Head-scratching. Certainly, embarrassing.

What changed in the last six days? Warren did not answer. Was Nebraska allowed to play non-Big Ten schools? Warren rambled something nonsensical. Again, no answer.

Five key questions after the Big Ten postponed fall sports

BTN host Dave Revsine handled the interview well, asking the same tough but fair questions once and twice. But Warren flunked the big moment.

For the past two days, a handful of Big Ten coaches — including Frost — basically challenged the league and the new commissioner. Would Warren fire back? Would he assert his position of power?

No. He swung and missed, by saying absolutely nothing.

This is a time for transparency. Specifics. Consider this: If myocarditis is tied to COVID-19 and offers a frightening prospect for athletes, why are the NBA, MLB (and soon) and NFL playing?

It’s a question worth asking. But on Tuesday, that would have been a fruitless exercise, too.

It’s not fair to compare Warren to the legendary Delany, who ruled with an old-school fist. But the former Big Ten boss also elicited a certain trust. He would do it right.

The Big Ten now resembles 14 presidents ruling the roost with Delany retired in his North Carolina cabin. And a commissioner who looks like their front man.

Not a good one, either.

If you’re Nebraska, it doesn’t conjure a lot of trust in the Big Ten. In fact, with Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan coaches also defying the Big Ten, the league looks less and less unified all the time.

A fall without Husker football could bring dire economic consequences

If you’re Nebraska, you’re running out of reasons to be here. Especially when you don’t really have a lot in common, anyway.

NU wanted to give football every possible chance this fall, delay the decision as long as it could. That’s the approach of the SEC and ACC. NU has more in common with those leagues, and the Big 12, obviously.

You can believe the Big Ten presidents care about the well-being of student-athletes. That’s real. But believe, too, the Big Ten leaders are very much into optics and image and being on the right side of history.

And being the first league on that side of history never hurts, either.

The money is nice in the Big Ten. But you wonder how much network money will be available in a few years, amid the rubble of the pandemic. And without Delany as lead negotiator.

BTN has been good to NU, but the impact is lessened with 14 schools to show. Will NU athletics be in any shape to travel across this league’s time zones next year? These are good questions.

Sign up for a World-Herald subscription and get full access to Husker coverage for less than $5 per month

Wilbon, a passionate Big Ten alum, wasn’t speaking for everyone, but many in the league will share his opinion. Both NU and the Big Ten came into this marriage thinking they were doing the other one a favor. I don’t think either side is that impressed with the other. And I don’t believe either would be that upset if it ended.

That doesn’t mean it will. No one is sure what a penalty to leave the Big Ten might be; has it ever been considered? I can’t imagine.

Now put that penalty in a year when NU is facing $80 million to $100 million in losses.

It’s likely that Carter or Bill Moos will release a statement pledging allegiance to the Big Ten. And NU might have to carry on as the rebellious kid in the family.

Meanwhile, Frost’s system is a better fit in the Big 12 and NU always recruited Texas. There’s money in the Big 12, too — especially one that would add Nebraska and Arkansas or UCF. But is there interest in taking back a wayward friend?

Maybe we’ll remember this day as the end and a beginning.

2 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Desmond Howard is ranting against Nebraska's alleged disloyalty to the Big Ten  because his Heisman Trophy win over Peyton Manning p!issed off the SEC, which in turn voted Nebraska National Champions in 1997 for a split between Michigan and Nebraska for the two polls.  Scott Frost was the QB of that team.  So for him, it's personal.  Whatever.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I think that was Charles Woodson?

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I agree with everything bad everyone on here has said about Nebraska. 
All that said the conference is probably better the day after we add Nebraska and BYU than it was the day before they joined. 

Substantially unsubstantiated rumors of the corn hiring Jeff Luhnow to work a 3-sided trade:  Neb to B12, Mizzou to B1G, WV to SEC.

4 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Substantially unsubstantiated rumors of the corn hiring Jeff Luhnow to work a 3-sided trade:  Neb to B12, Mizzou to B1G, WV to SEC.

Seen this multiple times and people need to understand that nobody wants WVU. Y'all don't want them as evidenced by always trying to give them to other conferences. If the secsecsec or acc wanted WVU, they would be there already. The Big 12 has a hard decision ahead, keep WVU if you feel responsible for them, or send them to the g5 where they belong

• Hook 'Em 1