College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Is this who I think it is?  White F350, threw kickass tailgates back in 2000?  If so, great to hear from you!

I was just a senior at UT in the Fall of 2000, driving a beat up old Integra, which I kept spotlessly clean at all times.

Besides, Bob Wheeler is not even a lawyer. Great tailgates though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

This potentially frees up resources - money and testing - for the fall football schools as they can slow things down for soccer and volleyball for a few months. Same can be said for prepping the basketball teams when that time comes. It's cynical favoritism but these are desperate times.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

Baseball is doing great for the moment. To borrow Dan Wetzel's analogy, if you have to drive 20 miles in a snowstorm, you don't start celebrating after mile 5 or even mile 18. But what baseball has done is shown that the 28 teams who have successfully followed protocol can have a fairly normal season (they're like 30 percent done).

There is hardly any comparison to college football, I understand. But I think it's fair to make the narrow point that all sports that decide to play need to be prepared to hold steady when they see some positive tests in the beginning. Can they stop occasional positives from turning into outbreaks? At most colleges, probably not. Imagine if it was 4-5 teams instead of just Miami and St. Louis...that probably ends the season.

?????

Baseball has been a trainwreck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Second grade for me. Watched in the class room. I was obviously little- do you know why everyone was watching the launch at school?  

5th grade for me, and it was a combo of it still being a big deal to launch people into space and the fact that there was a teacher on board who was going to do some teacher things while she was up there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

3rd for me and we were all watching because the teacher was in the shuttle....

Yeah. I watched the first shuttle launch at school and a couple of others. I imagine some classes were watching every launch, but that Challenger launch had lots of classes tuned in because of Christa McAuliffe. 

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

There has literally been no one suggesting that 0 infection is the only tenable option.  But you already knew that, and you knew that you're only smart enough to argue against strawmen.

Nonsense. I’ve seen plenty of strawmen smart enough to beat Htownhorn in an argument. 

3 hours ago, Alien Octopus said:

Yes which is still .0005139% of the population.

Does it hurt being this dumb? 

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

First one was on a Sunday.  I had to look it up because I was pretty sure I saw it on our big ass console TV that took up half the living room even the screen was probably the size of my iPad.

All right. Maybe someone videotaped it. 

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Incorrect. 

Yeah they are being pretty smart about it. Empty stadiums and lots of testing and so forth. I think it is probably better to bubble the whole thing but they are doing the next best thing.

So far...not so bad. We'll see what happens.

Orioles are 10-7 despite being shitty. Just need to stay hot in this short season!

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

"many of them are about to come back and play some more" is a complete load of bullshit.  You have no clue.

My god you are a bitter little pussy negging everything you disagree with. Just let go of the narrative you’re clinging to. The world isn’t about to end. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29648030/marlins-sidelined-coronavirus-feeling-great-manager-don-mattingly-says

Marlins sidelined by coronavirus are feeling great, manager Don Mattingly says

Associated PressAug 12, 20201 Minute Read

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Miami Marlinssidelined by a coronavirus outbreak are all asymptomatic, and some have applied for reinstatement, manager Don Mattingly said Wednesday.

Does the manager have no clue, too?

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Maybe you noticed that a lot of them are doing that?

Also, educating students is the primary mission of a university, while sports is not (*).

(*) excepting LSU and Auburn.

I suspect that some of the universities starting out on campus will be trying to hold off moving online until their add/drop refund deadline. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Exactly. Only on the Surl can a “College Football 2020 in Danger?” thread devolve into a got damn “Where Were You and What Were You Doing When the Challenger Exploded?” retrospective. 

You weren’t watching, were you?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Exactly. Only on the Surl can a “College Football 2020 in Danger?” thread devolve into a got damn “Where Were You and What Were You Doing When the Challenger Exploded?” retrospective. 

I posted that gif then came back later and thought to myself no fucking way everyone on this thread is now reminscing about the Challenger.

I feel like I started a disinformation campaign

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Jester East 507, just before Howard Miller History 351, The History of Religion, in the big downstairs gallery in Garrison at 11am, where I announced the accident to the class.

Ah yes, the big green room....I was about 100 feet away from you the day in the big auditorium in the back of Welch, in Astronomy 30-whatever it was.  I also took History of Religion a couple of years later...

Edited by Ignatius

On 8/12/2020 at 9:03 PM, Bob Lives! said:

Ignore this crap about personal injury lawsuits from Covid. It isn’t happening. It comes from a place of ignorance and fear, or worse, insurance industry propaganda.

Lawsuits alleging negligent spread of Covid are few and far between. I know of one, and I’m sure it will not be successful. It will probably be dismissed and when it is, it won’t get 1/100th the headlines it got when it was filed. Only in the rarest of cases will these actually be viable lawsuits. You’ll need some special circumstances likely involving isolation of the infected prior to infection. I can think of a few cases that might be viable, such as a sleep-away summer camp or private boarding school that ignored warnings signs and did not take basic precautions, but even those cases will have steep hurdles most claims still can’t clear. Not only would you have to prove that a school or business breached their duty to limit the spread of the virus by exercising ordinary care, whatever that means in this instance, you also will have to prove proximate cause.

Proving proximate cause means proving you got Covid as a result of that breach of the duty to exercise ordinary care. And you’ll need medical evidence. How exactly are most people with Covid going to do that? How can they prove the exact place where they got Covid? Is football practice the only place they have been around any other person? Is the air they breathe at football practice the only air they’ve breathed? Obviously not. Show me a scientific way to prove where you got the Covid specifically, because that is exactly what you’re going to need. You are going to need to prove based upon a reasonable degree of medical probability that your Covid came from the school’s breach of proper Covid protocols. That night you fucked your girlfriend? That restaurant you went to? The grocery store you went to? When you went to visit your parents? When you stopped at a gas station? The time you picked up drive-thru? How do you know your Covid came from the school and not from any of that? How do you prove the link? You don’t.

Don’t believe me? Go do a Google search real quick for “Covid personal injury lawyer.” You will find lawyer websites in your search results, but what you won’t find is many lawyers looking to represent you for your Covid infection. You’ll find Lawyers looking for business interruption cases (business loss insurance claims). You’ll find defense firms looking to offer Covid advice. You’ll find personal injury law firms advising you that they are still open for business and are taking Covid precautions. You won’t find many lawyers looking to represent people who have Covid infections against places where they allegedly got infected. You will find zero on your first page of Google search results. I found one on page 3, if you can call it one at all. https://bernsteininjurylaw.com/blog/does-covid-19-constitute-a-personal-injury-claim/ It basically explains why you probably don’t have a case, as I just did above.

Now, go do a Google search real quick for “18 wheeler personal injury lawyer.” Take a look at how many hundreds of law firms are itching to take your injury cases. None will explain to you why you probably don’t have a case. All will explain to you that you should call them ASAP for a free consultation. There are over 150,000 supposed, potential wrongful death COVID infection cases out there for plaintiffs personal injury lawyers. Why don’t you think lawyers are out there advertising for them like they are for 18 wheeler injuries and deaths?

By the way, I’m not just saying this as some asshole on surly. I’m (also) saying this as a board certified personal injury lawyer who has personally recovered over $35 million for my clients in the last 10 years and has all the little awards like Super Lawyer, Top 100, etc. If you get Covid, don’t call me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Yeah. I watched the first shuttle launch at school and a couple of others. I imagine some classes were watching every launch, but that Challenger launch had lots of classes tuned in because of Christa McAuliffe. 

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah. That's how things like this happen.

BabyishSeriousCottonmouth-size_restricte

(Too soon?)

Yeah I remember it.  The schools thought we should all be witness to the great achievement.  Star Wars had just been shown on broadcast tv, and we recorded it on vcr.  So to child me it didn't seem odd that spaceship would explode. 

I'm really doubting a lot of you watched it live because it was only broadcast via satellite private feed.  I know damn well I didn't watch it, my best friend told me and I laughed because I thought the fucker was making it up.

Now replay? Sure, that was played on every fucking channel, but the original was only on CNN and CNN was nobody in '86

10 hours ago, David Dennison said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/08/11/mlb-exploring-bubble-format-2020-playoffs-coronavirus

You also left out the part about the Cardinals. They've played exactly five games so far.

So “on the verge” really meant for the playoffs they are looking at this option. It’s nice to have verifiable evidence that you are in fact, full of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mulletpelini said:

I'm really doubting a lot of you watched it live because it was only broadcast via satellite private feed.  I know damn well I didn't watch it, my best friend told me and I laughed because I thought the fucker was making it up.

Now replay? Sure, that was played on every fucking channel, but the original was only on CNN and CNN was nobody in '86

Idk, thinking this got wheeled into many classrooms that day....

E9181DB2-1BCE-4D55-9269-0885CE141E92.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:
11 hours ago, jinx said:
No way this is happening at Florida State.  I refuse to believe it. 

It happened at Colorado State too. I'm sure it will happen at several programs.

The amount of fuckery that already takes place when it comes to injury reports gives me 0% confidence that there’s going to be transparency around testing or reporting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

You’re right that only CNN had a live broadcast.  But NASA also set up a bunch of live satellite feeds to schools because of McAuliffe. Most that remember seeing it live in schools are probably right. 
https://www.cnn.com/2016/03/31/us/80s-cnn-challenger-coverage/index.html

A friend who passed away two years ago was on the launch team. He listened to the audio feed of the cabin during the launch/explosion. Terrible stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Weren’t all the launches broadcast until that one? I was home sick that day in 5th grade and hanging out at my grandmas house. Right when it happened, my uncle walked in and I said “the space shuttle exploded!” He said “no shit?” It would’ve been in network TV to see it. I remember specifically not knowing what happened in that instant and it took a minute to process it. If it had been a newsfeed, surely they would’ve prepped the audience for it.

54 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

The amount of fuckery that already takes place when it comes to injury reports gives me 0% confidence that there’s going to be transparency around testing or reporting.

I personally think it's a fantastic idea to put your faith into a bunch of college football coaches(aka geniuses doing the most difficult job in the world) and trust them to 100% tell the truth and not cover anything up in a situation when the stakes are literally getting to play vs not.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1