College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

The amount of fuckery that already takes place when it comes to injury reports gives me 0% confidence that there’s going to be transparency around testing or reporting.

My personal favorite injury bullshit is how players who get their bell rung learn to grab their ankle and act as if it is a serious ankle injury so they don’t get put into concussion protocols and lose playing time. 

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

My personal favorite injury bullshit is how players who get their bell rung learn to grab their ankle and act as if it is a serious ankle injury so they don’t get put into concussion protocols and lose playing time. 

Shocked Excuse Me GIF by Back Row Radio

No. Never.

Coaches have the interests of the athletes at heart.

They’d never do a thing like that.

Blasphemer! 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah they are being pretty smart about it. Empty stadiums and lots of testing and so forth. I think it is probably better to bubble the whole thing but they are doing the next best thing.

So far...not so bad. We'll see what happens.

Orioles are 10-7 despite being shitty. Just need to stay hot in this short season!

The Orioles aren't shitty.. just predicted that way by the fake media

Even if the season is completely shut down, the option for one-off exhibition games still exists. Michigan/ Ohio State, for example, could be part of an ESPN doubleheader with Texas/ OU. 

Desperate times call for creative thinking. 

Do I think something along that line of thought will happen? Hell no. But it is an option. 

I'm really doubting a lot of you watched it live because it was only broadcast via satellite private feed.  I know damn well I didn't watch it, my best friend told me and I laughed because I thought the fucker was making it up.
Now replay? Sure, that was played on every fucking channel, but the original was only on CNN and CNN was nobody in '86

This is the weirdest thread.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

If I had a son who played college football, I would be much more worried about injuries and long-term effects of concussions than I would be about him getting COVID19.

So I take it you aren't a parent at all.

Nothing keeps you from worrying about all threats in equal measure, when your kid is out doing something.

You can't scare me, I have two daughters.

37 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

If I had a son who played college football, I would be much more worried about injuries and long-term effects of concussions than I would be about him getting COVID19.

I'd probably be the same way, mostly due to my ignorance. With concussions, we have some idea what those long-term effects are. We even have some acquired knowledge about the long-term effects for those who never really had recognized concussions, but went through the constant pounding that the game can incur otherwise. For COVID-19, we have no idea of the long term effects, whether asymptomatic or not. Certainly some people who have recovered appear to be screwed up permanently, but who knows? Maybe they all will miraculously overcome those after-effects and go on to lead normal lives. It's just not been long enough. So my focus of concern would be more on what I know, and less on what I don't know.

Edited by ouflak

10 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

If all goes well this season, Notre Dame/ Oklahoma/ Texas/ SEC & Clemson have the most to gain in recruiting:

so stupid, the Big 10 and Pac-12 coaches (and the recruits) still operate under the same recruiting restrictions as usual (notwithstanding any ADDITIONAL COVID related restrictions). Ryan Day can't decide "oh I'll just do more recruiting", there are still limits in place that apply even if he's sitting on the sideline like a big thumbsucking baby while the rest of us play football. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

I'm really doubting a lot of you watched it live because it was only broadcast via satellite private feed.  I know damn well I didn't watch it, my best friend told me and I laughed because I thought the fucker was making it up.

Now replay? Sure, that was played on every fucking channel, but the original was only on CNN and CNN was nobody in '86

Me and my entire elementary school huddled into our library in Round Rock, TX to watch it on our TV. I was in 5th grade and I still remember not really understanding the explosion, but definitely remember seeing the look on all of the adults that quickly understood and started herding us all back to our classrooms crying. Not sure if it was satellite feed, but it was for sure live and in color. I can still see the look on the teachers faces when I close my eyes. Rough day.

5 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Did anyone say live?  I had the tv on when I was getting dressed and abc/cbs/nbc were live on the story less than 60 seconds after it happened.  This was back when breaking news really was BREAKING NEWS.

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Or, like, the massive crampstorm that engulfed the LSU defense on our first drive of the 2nd half, only to miraculously disappear in the 4th quarter.  Because no air conditioning.

4 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Remind me how this works.  The NCAA cancelled championships for fall-does that have any impact on D1A/FBS football at all?   

Has nothing to do with FBS because there is no "NCAA championship" for FBS football. 

But all other championships are are canceled. Volleyball, Cross Country, Soccer, Field Hockey.

I think the conferences can still play, just no NCAA tournaments beyond conference play. 

5 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Has nothing to do with FBS because there is no "NCAA championship" for FBS football. 

But all other championships are are canceled. Volleyball, Cross Country, Soccer, Field Hockey.

I think the conferences can still play, just no NCAA tournaments beyond conference play. 

Which is a waste of a season of eligibility for a conference title but no ring 

17 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I have a better chance of dying of covid than you have of passing a junior high math test.

Oh you are finished?! Well allow me to retort

I have learned a few things this week, that even on Surly, a bastion of dumbfuckery, sport and comedy, that systematic racism does actually exists. Wiith the recent revelation that 2+2=4 is a blatant attempt at heirarchical racism. I, a person of color, am now expected to pass a math test on Surly? One that contains tricky percentages, which clearly is an attempt at silencing me, and smacks of institutional racism. All for the simple task of telling you guys to stop being such pussies. College Football games, Texas in particular, are my form of reparations and I takes what I want.

As a proud person of color, and a first generation Cuban-American Latino , I reject your attempt at keeping me on the plantain. Isn’t it enough that your President, Barack, put my brothers in cages, and invaded this bastion of purity with imperial cruise ships?

With apologies to my strong sisters, who everyone knows are the key to winning all elections, I must again apologize in advance when I say that all you dripping hatchet wounds who want to clutch your pearls and feign concern over the well-being of players can all eat a giant bag of dicks. You can’t be lining up to blow Hudson Card and Bijan on one post, where they are, according to you dip-shits, placing their lives at risk because of Covid, and then act like this Guajiro/Campesino/Bumpkin is a monster for pointing out that less than 1% means cock when it comes to risk taking. 

Because of this I am going to have to ask BLM draft me a letter with the following demands:

That a patronage fund is set up for this Cubana and Vida Guerra, maybe even a few tasteful statues to be proudly displayed on the West mall.

That any song from the Buena Vista Social Club (I vote Chan Chan) replace that racist railroad song, Wabash Cannonball, only to be performed by the LHB, with some Cuban scholarships so you can get some gitdamn rhythm and flare.  Clearly, Wabash Cannonball is an homage to your slaver/imperialist foundations.

Finally, that Surly replace all explicitly racist handles, starting with the Grand Wizard, Beau Vine with Cuban baseball players names. I think Jose Canseco fits you well Beauregard.

If my demands are not met, I will have to boycott all fund raiser and alumni facing events until some meaningful change is made around here. I know that Tom Herman has my back, because he grew up in a single parent household. This is a learning moment, and I hope you all can join the movement.

In closing, 

Power To The People

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Which is a waste of a season of eligibility for a conference title but no ring 

Let's be honest what percent of teams really compete for something beyond a conference title?  I'd say in any given year maybe 33% of teams are actually in contention for a conference title and maybe 15% really compete for a national title.  I don't mean making the tournament, I mean really competing.  All of those other athletes are using their years of eligibility for the chance to play knowing it will not lead to a championship of any kind.  It does allow them to play a sport they either love or are good enough at that it affords them other opportunities (ideally both).  I don't think that's a waste and in the current environment if a kid is in their last year I'd be shocked is they chose not to play just because the post season playoff was cancelled.  Some might choose not to play to save their draft status or something but that really only impacts 1% or so, the decisions shouldn't be made based solely on how it affects the potential draft pick types.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think it's going to affect the Big 10/Pac-12 as bad as some think, but one thing I'm curious about. If everyone gets another year of eligibility. which they will, what about the incoming class? I mean, there would be a backlog of players. How does the 85 limit work? And then, wouldn't some super talented players looks elsewhere if reps would even more limited considering an entire class is still there their freshman year? I guess one can argue the NFL people would leave, and the incoming would only give the team more talent to choose the best replacement. 

I'm confused

24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don't think it's going to affect the Big 10/Pac-12 as bad as some think, but one thing I'm curious about. If everyone gets another year of eligibility. which they will, what about the incoming class? I mean, there would be a backlog of players. How does the 85 limit work? And then, wouldn't some super talented players looks elsewhere if reps would even more limited considering an entire class is still there their freshman year? I guess one can argue the NFL people would leave, and the incoming would only give the team more talent to choose the best replacement. 

I'm confused

I think teams like Notre Dame/ Texas/ Oklahoma/ LSU/ Alabama, all get to load up on recruits..?

14 hours ago, Victor Lazlo said:

Exactly. Only on the Surl can a “College Football 2020 in Danger?” thread devolve into a got damn “Where Were You and What Were You Doing When the Challenger Exploded?” retrospective. 

I take it that you still believe we landed on the moon?  

spacer.png

8 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

So you are saying that they brought tv’s into classrooms of elementary through h.s. kids and let us watch, knowing that it was going to explode? Yeah, that didn’t happen. We were already watching because a teacher was on the mission.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I'm confused

I doubt it has a significant impact on recruiting. Ohio State is still going to pull in top talent and Nebraska, Iowa, etc.. will continue to pull in mediocre recruits.

2 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

I let my kids do lots of things that worry me. I'm just saying COVID would not be my #1 worry as a parent.

well, sure, that's kind of my point-- I feel like to the extent we've proven anything about CTE and football, a college football player's more likely to suffer long-term consequences related to CTE than COVID. I guess to the extent either's worth worrying about, I'd be more concerned w CTE. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

well, sure, that's kind of my point-- I feel like to the extent we've proven anything about CTE and football, a college football player's more likely to suffer long-term consequences related to CTE than COVID. I guess to the extent either's worth worrying about, I'd be more concerned w CTE. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12042820

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2