College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

12 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. But they act like playing football is uniquely dangerous to the disease. We are seeing the positive tests disappear and reach (or approach at lest) zero when engaged in team activities. It’s probably the safest environment for the players. Life is risky for everyone during a pandemic. 

except the players are not confining themselves to team activities because no bubble.

If Stewart Mandel is going to be a defacto spokesman for the Big 10, he should stop pretending to be an independent media member. Just wear the logo on your twitter profile and drop the pretenses.  

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

tap the brakes people.... this test STILL REQUIRES a lab.  it's not like a pink/blue pregnancy test.  it is a lot less expensive, but unless you have a lab set up on site, the sample still has to go to a lab.  it is NOT instantaneous unless you are at a lab, or the lab is where you are, like inside the bubble.... that doesn't exist.

Yeah, and the damn pregnancy tests cost a shit ton of money. Depending on the result.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

Thanks for responding with actual discussion. Your post, in total with mine, is where I think the true debate lies. I think the two reasonable sides to this are those that think COVID is here to stay, or at least here for a couple of years so we need to learn to live with it, and those that think we can get COVID minimized to the level of SARS or MERS if we shut things down for a year or less. Either way, I think the situation is way more complicated than a lot of people are willing to concede.

The problem with all of your last sentence is compliance. We have to put healthy people in quarantine because following the rules appears to be hard. It has certainly been confusing due to all the conflicting information out there, but compliance has been very difficult to maintain. Adults all the way down to kids have problems following the rules necessary to buy us time to reach a medical solution to all of this. If coaches and players want to trot out hashtags about letting them play, I think there should be serious consequences for breaking the rules regarding testing, social distancing, and reporting. We're already starting to see that they want to disregard the rules. Let's be honest, if these teams treat COVID rules like recruiting rules, then the season will never happen.

I think it’s here to stay under current conditions.  MERS has an Ro <1, SARS <2, while most reports of C19 are >2 and possibly >3.  Long incubation time coupled with ease of transmission makes it highly infectious.  

I think there’s too many idiots to believe it’s possible to mask/distance/test/vaccine our way out of this successfully.  Imagine Idiocracy II The Pandemic.  

Im for football with fans in the stands, not as a C19 denier, rather a cynic who thinks the best chance our dumbasses have is to let it run it’s course rapidly and run out of new hosts, or select for something more benign. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

The NCAA truly is worthless.  They are desperately grasping for relevancy.  I’m sure this medical expert has the same warning that football is unsafe to play because of the chance of CTE.  Well probably not.  He’s coming off as if he’s trying to run cover for the B10.   

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

tap the brakes people.... this test STILL REQUIRES a lab.  it's not like a pink/blue pregnancy test.  it is a lot less expensive, but unless you have a lab set up on site, the sample still has to go to a lab.  it is NOT instantaneous unless you are at a lab, or the lab is where you are, like inside the bubble.... that doesn't exist.

may I interest you in my latest invention?

elizabeth-holmes.jpg?w=650&h=433&fit=fil

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Weekend update:

OU & OSU students return to campus causing surge of cases = bad;

FDA approval of NBA cheap/fast saliva test = good;

Special update on croots: very good

This just in:  Generalissimo Franco is still dead.  But revised to China Flu.

d3b8ba58afe8496273e821b1bc975344.jpg

Edited by clapclapclap

At least that group is outdoors. (there are probably twice as many indoors we can't see)

This is a good read from Julia Marcus, another really steady voice throughout the pandemic. College age kids are at the age most likely to take risks anyway, and they also are most at risk for mental setbacks from lack of socialization. Their government didn't curb the pandemic for five months, their school still charges them full rate and invites them back to campus, their local community allows bars to stay open. There will be individual acts of idiocy, but we shouldn't blame them when teams have outbreaks and campus closes down.

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

If Stewart Mandel is going to be a defacto spokesman for the Big 10, he should stop pretending to be an independent media member. Just wear the logo on your twitter profile and drop the pretenses.  

Replace Big 10 with PAC 12. 

But, yeah, those two thought everyone would just follow their lead. Now they are scared to death the SEC, Big 12, ACC, etc (or as SM calls it, the “SEC and it’s peers”) will play and make them look like idiots, while collecting revenue and hoarding all the attention and recruits.  Time to recruit all our media guys to shit on the other conferences and pressure them into following our lead. 

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

But, yeah, those two thought everyone would just follow their lead. Now they are scared to death the SEC, Big 12, ACC, etc (or as SM calls it, the “SEC and it’s peers”) will play and make them look like idiots, while collecting revenue and hoarding all the attention and recruits.  Time to recruit all our media guys to shit on the other conferences and pressure them into following our lead. 

The good news is the media will only report facts and leave political/personal bias out of...damn I can’t even finish typing such a ridiculous statement.  Did you see all the grandmas and immune deficient people at that college bar.  Those bars/parties will no doubt create a spike in cases but it will be the football players that will be blamed.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I know this site is mostly full of old assholes, but are there no current students to tell us how much of a shitshow it is or is not on the UT campus?

I'm sure some of our old assholes are parents to future old assholes currently on campus.  I utilize tOSU for remote interns, have three currently on board that are members in fraternities...  should have a report this week.   They typically had a few football players hang out regularly in the fall, players that were close friends.  Large open spring parties were usually flush with athletes in the 5 years I've been in contact.  I asked about known cases last spring & again recently..  anecdotal evidence suggested less than 5% of their circle of contacts had been infected to this point.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

They aren't the ones who are going to look like idiots.

4 hours ago, Treefidy said:

I think it’s here to stay under current conditions.  MERS has an Ro <1, SARS <2, while most reports of C19 are >2 and possibly >3.  Long incubation time coupled with ease of transmission makes it highly infectious.  

I think there’s too many idiots to believe it’s possible to mask/distance/test/vaccine our way out of this successfully.  Imagine Idiocracy II The Pandemic.  

Im for football with fans in the stands, not as a C19 denier, rather a cynic who thinks the best chance our dumbasses have is to let it run it’s course rapidly and run out of new hosts, or select for something more benign. 

That’s been my thought from the beginning?  Fatalistic? Sure, but also probably accurate. 

Quite possible. But they are scared to death that the others might be able to pull it off. And if they can, it will have long term effects. 

Which is why delaying it to a sept 26 kick off vs straight up cancelling 7 weeks ahead of sept 26 would’ve been the right move.

Players are gonna get it and recover from parties between now and sept 26. Bailing on it 10 days ago is like the guy who bailed off of the runaway cart at Jerry world that ran over 4 people before someone else had to stop it
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Bailing on it 10 days ago is like the guy who bailed off of the runaway cart at Jerry world that ran over 4 people before someone else had to stop it

No one got hit after the bailer bailed. Thanks for reminding me of this hilarious video though.

Bernard

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 1:48 PM, justhookit said:

So you are saying that they brought tv’s into classrooms of elementary through h.s. kids and let us watch, knowing that it was going to explode? Yeah, that didn’t happen. We were already watching because a teacher was on the mission.

Yeah you whiny illogical bitch, that's what I was trying to say.

Wait, are you my ex-wife?

On 8/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, South Austin said:

I would run Garrett Gilbert up the middle 20 times in a row.

So 7 punts then.

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

Hey Desmond you whiny speech challenged midget, where's your response to this?  How dare Day complain! HOW DARE HE!

4 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

Yeah you whiny illogical bitch, that's what I was trying to say.

Wait, are you my ex-wife?

So 7 punts then.

Hey Desmond you whiny speech challenged midget, where's your response to this?  How dare Day complain! HOW DARE HE!

Had a few co' colas this afternoon have we?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Auburn fans don't care at all when we remind them of Cam Newton. Just like us Astros fans don't either. 

Except the Astros actually cheated. Auburn just beat the SEC and college football at its own game.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think they didn't expect 3 dorms buildings and a frat to all have it in 6 days of coming back to campus. 

I did. And that’s what makes the football cancellations so absurd. These guys are probably going to get it at a higher rate if they don’t play football. 

When they are playing, at least they are trying to avoid it.  Either because they want to play, or are feeling some serious peer pressure from their teammates and coaches.  Once the season is cancelled, and there’s no responsibility and much more free time, they become just another kid hanging out in every bar and party they can find.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2