College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It is very important that these schools collect television revenue, y'all.

Lots of people being laid off, lots more to come and tons of free educations are being eliminated because of a decrease in those revenues.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well it by definition is the worst thing, but rather just because your chances of dying are low doesn't mean it might not have very bad long term impacts.

Best to just not get it at all. Fortunately I have been succeeding at that goal so far and here is hoping the Big 12 also has a low Covid season.

You’re certainly correct in an empirical sense and I don’t want parrot the complication stories I’ve heard, but I hope that that facet is given proper weight when institutions make decisions. 

I think if people are on it and committed this season could be an incredible success. fingers crossed as well.

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Wanting the kids to play this year means you don't care if 1/3 of them get heart problems. It is impossible to argue otherwise. 

Wrong. Your post and all the people decrying playing CFB this year assume these players have a higher likelihood contracting covid by playing football. Present a single piece of evidence backing that up. 

Scipio was jusy talking about this on his last podcast. He said OU had 0 positives but then Lincoln (who claims to be uber concerned with his players’ health) gave the team a short break and about half the players went home. The next time they tested, 9 players tested positive and all were from the half that left campus and went home.
You can find very similar data from when the players first reported in the summer. A bunch of schools had a significant number of positives initially, but every program I’ve seen numbers for drastically cut down their number of positives once all players were back on campus and taking part in football activities. 

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Wanting the kids to play this year means you don't care if 1/3 of them get heart problems. It is impossible to argue otherwise. 

OK, I'll play... 100% of the kids who play are NOT going to get Covid, so 1/3 of them won't end up with heart problems.

How did I do?  Did I do the "impossible"?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Because if they don't play, they're totally going to be to safe from COVID?

That's fucking lunacy.  ISU for example has basically put the football team into a bubble.  COVID's raging through the campus.  If you cancel football, the make shift bubble is over, and those kids are going to go out, drink, fuck, and get COVID for sure.  This is the case at probably every single major college still playing football.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

Well, no. While its a very real possibility, relying on one study with an n of ? and claiming that percentage as fact going forward is flawed thinking. The others above have already addressed that not playing football also may or may not affect their chances of infection. So, it's very arguable. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Wrong. Your post and all the people decrying playing CFB this year assume these players have a higher likelihood contracting covid by playing football. Present a single piece of evidence backing that up. 

Scipio was jusy talking about this on his last podcast. He said OU had 0 positives but then Lincoln (who claims to be uber concerned with his players’ health) gave the team a short break and about half the players went home. The next time they tested, 9 players tested positive and all were from the half that left campus and went home.
You can find very similar data from when the players first reported in the summer. A bunch of schools had a significant number of positives initially, but every program I’ve seen numbers for drastically cut down their number of positives once all players were back on campus and taking part in football activities. 

Uh Scipio is wrong. OU said all of those positives after the break were from local transmission. 3/4 of the team did not leave the city

quote:

He said the program had been able to trace back every one of the positives to "community-based infections." He said when he gave the team time off, "over 75% of our team didn't leave Norman."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29669259/nine-oklahoma-sooners-test-positive-covid-19-returning-break

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Uh Scipio is wrong. Riley said the majority of those positives after the break we’re from local transmission. 3/4 of the team did not leave the city

quote:

He said the program had been able to trace back every one of the positives to "community-based infections." He said when he gave the team time off, "over 75% of our team didn't leave Norman."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29669259/nine-oklahoma-sooners-test-positive-covid-19-returning-break

I see you failed to mention the part where they started with 14 positives on 7/1 and then got the number to 0 for four weeks during football activities  and didn’t see another spike until he gave the players time off from football activities. Whether those 9 contracted it staying on campus (which many players would probably do if football were cancelled) or back home isn’t very meaningful to this discussion, but thanks to providing further evidence that players are at less risk of covid while participating in football. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Does wanting the kids to play this year also mean you don't care if 9/10 of them get CTE? Or whatever the going rate is for brain trauma among college football athletes?

Seems possible that wanting* kids to play this year while also being extremely concerned about their health and well-being aren't mutually exclusive imo.

Edited by touchthemonolith
  • Hook 'Em 6

22 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think November might not be the worst idea. It gives them time to get ready and raises the possibility of the pandemic being over, or nearly over, by the time they start.

Of course then you are playing football in Michigan and Minnesota outside in November, December, and January.

Edited by Valmy77

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Travis is a clown, but I can't take anyone seriously who thinks Dan Wolken doesn't have an agenda.  Good Lord.

Wolken knowingly smacks the beehive on a regular basis, especially the stereotypical SEC fan base. But I would argue that's more his personality rather than some football-related agenda. None of these guys are robots. Tony Barnhart is another great journalist who is kind of an anti-Wolken...he tends to assuage the SEC folks. I trust both those guys when they report something, even just "from a P5 source."

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I think November might not be the worst idea. It gives them time to get ready and raises the possibility of the pandemic being over, or nearly over, by the time they start.

Of course then you are playing football in Michigan and Minnesota outside in November, December, and January.

The pandemic will not be over by November. It is likely in fact that there will be another spike with colder weather and more people being indoors, like with the cold and flu. Which is why I do not understand everything being delayed by a weeks or even months. If you're comfortable playing during a pandemic just fucking play with protocols in place. It doesn't matter if you start this week or two weeks from now. There isn't going to be any major change until a vaccine is available and widely distributed, and we are still a long, long way off from that.

And 12 games to 10 is just pointless. The only thing that would have made sense is 12 to say 6 games, with 2-3 weeks between games to allow for teamwide quarantines without disrupting the schedule. I guarantee you there will be dozens upon dozens of games where players are found to have been infected and quarantining for 14 days is the accepted standard here. If that happens and a game is scheduled for the next week, there are going to be lots of cancellations.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

Does wanting the kids to play this year also mean you don't care if 9/10 of them get CTE? Or whatever the going rate is for brain trauma among college football athletes?

Seems possible that wanting* kids to play this year while also being extremely concerned about their health and well-being aren't mutually exclusive imo.

I don't want them to play but I also want them to all die from covid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/1/2020 at 11:42 AM, Bevo VIII said:

I am of the opinion that the potus should not be getting involved in matters like this.

Potus also shouldn't be stealing money from the American people, giving no bid contracts for political favors, colluding with enemies to allow the murder of US soldiers, using the military and federal agents to attack peaceful protestors, and doing everything possible to foster the spread of a deadly pandemic. 

Yet he's doing all of it and more. 

Edited by blacklab
vacation for cr shit
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 29

2 minutes ago, Xavi said:

Potus also shouldn't be stealing money from the American people, giving no bid contracts for political favors, colluding with enemies to allow the murder of US soldiers, using the military and federal agents to attack peaceful protestors, and doing everything possible to foster the spread of a deadly pandemic. 

Get that shit out of here.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Probably because you’re a bitch?

If you think journalism is reporting the facts- then I agree. If you think journalism is quoting anonymous sources close to a P5 program saying “zero shot at fall sports including CFB” then you’re the dumbass, and so is the journalist. They’re just trying to be the guy to break the story first. And leave the twitter comments on to take the L when it gets thrown back in your face.

Take Thamels and Mandels cock out of your mouth and see what’s going on. Even (I believe) Mandel had a fucking eulogy on how he could’ve done better a few days ago.

Still pushing the “they’ll be fine!!!” Shit I see

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Flu season along with covid? I got a bad feeling about this...

11 minutes ago, Xavi said:

Dude...I mean I am sure many people would love this take in the Cloak Room but we try to keep from mentioning our dear leader in the football board. You are new so a heads up.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, kopp0e said:

I have to say, that campus looks nice, gives "A Christmas Story" kinda vibe... 
Anyway, anther school in that region, will get all the shine this fall, in snow:

Nice is not the way I would describe that campus or Columbus. That photo might look ok but after 4 months & come April, everyone turns into a version of Zach Smith. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, nnm said:

Good article from Thamel at Yahoo Sports on how the quality of play will be affected by the stops and starts of practices, quarantining players, etc., etc.  Although I’m still skeptical that we’re going to see anything resembling a full season, this confirms that what we are about to witness will be a poor approximation of normal CFB. 
https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/with-college-season-starting-brace-yourself-for-ugly-football-181238291.html

len-dawson-cig-super-bowl-01192014.jpg

Halftime Super Bowl I    Chiefs QB Len Dawson.  Throw in Kenny Stabler & our own Bobby Layne...  as long as they are on an equal playing field there will be competitive & entertaining competition regardless of the preparation.   May the best team win.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, DenverHorn said:

Halftime Super Bowl I    Chiefs QB Len Dawson.  Throw in Kenny Stabler & our own Bobby Layne...  as long as they are on an equal playing field there will be competitive & entertaining competition regardless of the preparation.   May the best team win.

A heater and a Fresca. Now, that's a halftime. "Smoke'em, if you got'em."

2 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

Comparing uncomplicated viral myocarditis to the threat of CTE, heart disease & opioid addiction is a deck chair off the Queen Mary.   Not to mention it is easily detectable & manageable (rest therapy).  On the rare occasion these athletes  are diagnosed with acute myocarditis..  sorry kid, you'll need to sit this year out.

1 hour ago, touchthemonolith said:

We're here to catch footballs and catch COVID.

And we're all out of footballs.

Damn that avatar creeps me out.

Hey, wait a minute.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaye_Saint_John

The character of Shaye Saint John is described as a "model", and is shown in videos wearing a plastic mask, a series of wigs and dresses, and manipulating wooden hands on sticks. She is described as having been hit by a train which resulted in the loss of her arms and legs.[3] Instead of using prosthetics, she added mannequin parts to her face and added wooden hands so no one could see her badly deformed hands. 

Is the monolith a Scentsy candle?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DenverHorn said:

Um.....well, okay. Maybe our boys need to be pounding cigs and shiner before the game and during halftime. Shit have em smoke some cigars when they’re not in the game and a flask