College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

8 hours ago, THUJONE said:

It is specifically because we don't have the complete how this disease affects people longitudinally that caution should be encouraged. And don't say there's no scientific basis. I'm not going to your research for you, but there's plenty of data out there already that would cause any reasonable person to pause. One year of college football to save lives, lungs, hearts, and careers? That's a trade you should take every day. But it's not your kid so roll the dice. 

What the heck are you saying?  college football mixed with covid is somehow going to form some toxic mix for those that play?   Covid is here dude ... I guess the entire population should avoid all activities that involve exercise in any form until we understand this virus a little better.   

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

What the heck are you saying?  college football mixed with covid is somehow going to form some toxic mix for those that play?   Covid is here dude ... I guess the entire population should avoid all activities that involve exercise in any form until we understand this virus a little better.   

Better chill out on that morning walk.   Wouldn’t want to do longitudinal damage to yourself.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, THUJONE said:

It is specifically because we don't have the complete how this disease affects people longitudinally that caution should be encouraged. And don't say there's no scientific basis. I'm not going to your research for you, but there's plenty of data out there already that would cause any reasonable person to pause. One year of college football to save lives, lungs, hearts, and careers? That's a trade you should take every day. But it's not your kid so roll the dice. 

Did you watch Herman's presser yesterday? They're all tested ~3x per week. Both teams are effectively bubbled before they play. No one wants to be the guy that gets half his team quarantined. If they weren't playing, you know many of them wouldn't take any precautions because they're young and invincible. I'm with you that there are unknown long term effects but it really seems these guys are safer playing FBS football and working toward their NFL dreams than they are in the general college population.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, TexArcher said:

Okay, I haven't been following this as closely as I normally would because I've been expecting the season to be scrapped.  

So, if we're playing...  And LSU's playing...  How come we're not playing LSU anymore...?

Well you can thank the Big 10 for that shit. Those assholes went to a conference only schedule right before all the conferences were set to meet to discuss the 2020 season. That forced everyone else to do it, even though the ACC and the Big 12 set up a plus one in order to keep the games with the secsecsec. Then the Big 10 canceled and tried to force the rest to cancel too. They've been pulling this bully routine for years. A few years ago the ACC submitted a proposal to eliminate divisions and allow the two best teams in the conference to play in the championship game, instead of a 9-3 team just because they are in a different division. Big 12 jumped on board, and the Big 10 blocked that proposal and made a different one for the Big 12. Fast forward and bitch about Clemson not playing a tougher schedule. Well, let them when they try fucking Big 10.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Well you can thank the Big 10 for that shit. Those assholes went to a conference only schedule right before all the conferences were set to meet to discuss the 2020 season. That forced everyone else to do it, even though the ACC and the Big 12 set up a plus one in order to keep the games with the secsecsec. Then the Big 10 canceled and tried to force the rest to cancel too. They've been pulling this bully routine for years. A few years ago the ACC submitted a proposal to eliminate divisions and allow the two best teams in the conference to play in the championship game, instead of a 9-3 team just because they are in a different division. Big 12 jumped on board, and the Big 10 blocked that proposal and made a different one for the Big 12. Fast forward and bitch about Clemson not playing a tougher schedule. Well, let them when they try fucking Big 10.

Cliff notes: fuck the big 10
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 9/6/2020 at 9:39 AM, westexhorn said:

If ya got diabetes, hypertension, elderly and/or obesity, take extra precautions.  In my hospital the avg weight of a covid patient is around 100 kg (and not tall people)

That's about 80 percent of the country over the age of 30. 

It's already a disaster the likes of which no American has ever seen with over 1 in 1500 Americans who were alive on Jan 1 now dead from it. Millions hospitalized from it and many with massive medical bills and trauma from the experience. Now add in it's not close to finished and shows signs of heart damage in the majority of survivors regardless of age and severity of symptoms and this will be damaging this country for decades to come. It takes some callous, stupid pieces of shit to downplay it just to watch a bunch of unpaid kids bash their heads into each other. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

It's already a disaster the likes of which no American has ever seen with over 1 in 1500 Americans who were alive on Jan 1 now dead from it. Millions hospitalized from it and many with massive medical bills and trauma from the experience. Now add in it's not close to finished and shows signs of heart damage in the majority of survivors regardless of age and severity of symptoms and this will be damaging this country for decades to come. It takes some callous, stupid pieces of shit to downplay it just to watch a bunch of unpaid kids bash their heads into each other. 

Ok Wanker, seems best for your sanity to stay off a football board for the next 4 months.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So two Big XII teams have already had their opening games "delayed." Yeah, this season will surely be fine after that, lol.

I don't understand why Tulsa decided to wait until game week to say they needed the delay.  Their COVID issue that halted their practices was several weeks ago.  If they were "behind" on conditioning or whatever, they've been behind for several weeks now.... weird. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So two Big XII teams have already had their opening games "delayed." Yeah, this season will surely be fine after that, lol.

It's not all that surprising with student bodies coming back and it's just non-con games that can be cancelled all together without actually affecting the season as a whole so... Yeah, as of now I'm in the this is fine camp.

Since y'all look poised to have a good season, I hope Tulsa cancels the game then y'all lose to WVU due to bad snaps and special teams things that usually get cleaned up after game 1. 

55 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

User name definitely checking out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

~25% of all deaths have come from those in nursing homes/assisted living facilities, 82% of all deaths have been from 60 years old or higher, of the deaths <60 they have averaged 2.6 other issues wrong with them (mostly due to fact that if your BMI is >40 you are 12x more likely to die).

~40% of cases (per CDC) are asymptomatic especially among those that are younger where it has been estimated that upwards of 80% may be asymptomatic. I guess you could try and make point that the virus is hiding in their system to emerge years later, but as there haven't been any studies to this occurrence(and none show for SARS/MERS (that I have seen) that is fairly presumptive.

I don't disagree that there will need to be studies on what long term effects this virus may have in the years to come, there will be years of research on all variety of attributes.

I would state though it is not the athletes at risk here, it is the coaches, janitors, staff, fans etc.

To me play games with no fans, include any support staff in the same rigorous testing protocol as players & coaches and you from a controls perspective are in good shape.

As I have stated all along, it is not an issue re: playing football but rather opening campuses at all. Players are far safer than average student.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

(mostly due to fact that if your BMI is >40 you are 12x more likely to die).

Where'd you see that one? I hadn't heard that but I certainly believe it. That's pretty interesting, I'd like to read more if you remember your source.

Also, to add on to your "it's not the players, it's the janitors, staff etc.". It's also the players' families. There's a lot of risk there, IMO, particularly around the holidays.

Edited by BradInATX

How does pneumonia fare under the same review? 

I don't know about you, but I'm definitely taking my cues on the Coronavirus from Wanker Bob.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

MLB has had many series canceled/delayed.  They are still chugging along, without a bubble.  It CAN be done.

Yep. Though they have the advantage of only 30 clubs and no fans and highly paid players who are more likely to follow instructions.

But I hope it goes as well if not better for college football.

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I am not taking my cues for anything serious from any of you.

No offense.

Our track record of correctly diagnosing football issues is bad enough.

.....as if you can guaranty that John Chiles starting wouldn't have changed the course of our recent history..

Edited by MirrOlure

3 hours ago, B00M said:

Both teams are effectively bubbled before they play. No one wants to be the guy that gets half his team quarantined. 

We've already seen multiple games cancelled/postponed because players on teams that were "effectively bubbled" tested positive. There are plenty of guys willing to be "the guy" that gets his team quarantined. When you were 19, did you pass up on opportunities to get laid? I would have done the backstroke through an ocean of Ebola for an angry handy-j. I still might. 

Edited by JFKFC
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Where'd you see that one? I hadn't heard that but I certainly believe it. That's pretty interesting, I'd like to read more if you remember your source.

Also, to add on to your "it's not the players, it's the janitors, staff etc.". It's also the players' families. There's a lot of risk there, IMO, particularly around the holidays.

From the "Annals of Internal Medicine" - Article around Obesity & Mortality in the Kaiser Permanente System in Socal.

Here is clip from article. Really spikes in terms of higher risk of mortality if your BMI is 40+ (considered severely obese). I used the low end of the higher risk in my post. Ultimately as I mentioned on other board we are in "Nut allergy" phase to me of CV19. If you know you are at risk of dying from CV19 (which the groups that are at higher risk are WELL established at this juncture) you need to enact the needed precautions to manage that risk. This may include not visiting grand children, going out to eat etc etc. Just like if you had a severe nut allergy you'd ensure that when you did go out you were not at risk of dying of it. (you'd verify restaurant doesn't cook with nuts/let airline know you were traveling and so on).

image.png.1c528ed9a49c2fa2347069c9c2138c9d.png

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

From the "Annals of Internal Medicine" - Article around Obesity & Mortality in the Kaiser Permanente System in Socal.

Here is clip from article. Really spikes in terms of higher risk of mortality if your BMI is 40+ (considered severely obese). I used the low end of the higher risk in my post. Ultimately as I mentioned on other board we are in "Nut allergy" phase to me of CV19. If you know you are at risk of dying from CV19 (which the groups that are at higher risk are WELL established at this juncture) you need to enact the needed precautions to manage that risk. This may include not visiting grand children, going out to eat etc etc. Just like if you had a severe nut allergy you'd ensure that when you did go out you were not at risk of dying of it. (you'd verify restaurant doesn't cook with nuts/let airline know you were traveling and so on).

Nice. Found the link. That's really interesting, particularly the rest of that visualization that you cut off, but more discussion of that probably belongs in the DT, not here.

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Nice. Found the link. That's really interesting, particularly the rest of that visualization that you cut off, but more discussion of that probably belongs in the DT, not here.

Yep - some really cool stuff. I was just showing the piece for <60 years old. One thing for sure is this disease is an absolute fucking killer if you are over 80. It is bad for those 60 to 80 but man if you are >80 and get this you have a VERY high likelihood of dying

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Really spikes in terms of higher risk of mortality if your BMI is 40+

On the positive side, maybe this pandemic will serve as a wake up call to the large percentage of Americans who are categorized as obese. And we'll see widespread societal change in exercise frequency, the importance of being active with your children, less reliance on packaged foods, and portion contr....

Damnit, I almost got through it without laughing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JFKFC said:

We've already seen multiple games cancelled/postponed because players on teams that were "effectively bubbled" tested positive. There are plenty of guys willing to be "the guy" that gets his team quarantined. When you were 19, did you pass up on opportunities to get laid? I would have done the backstroke through an ocean of Ebola for an angry handy-j. I still might. 

Sure, some reckless age-appropriate activities will be occur. But on average, are they more or less likely to swim thru ebola for that handy if they're playing football? How do you think those PAC and B1G players are behaving right now? 

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

MLB has had many series canceled/delayed.  They are still chugging along, without a bubble.  It CAN be done.

MLB also plays several times a week, can do makeup games with double headers, and comparisons of records is less problematic when there are so many games are played. How is the Big XII going to compare records when games are inevitably cancelled and not made up? What if Bedlam or TX/OU are cancelled due to outbreaks? What if ISU doesn't play OU because of an outbreak while everyone else has to play them? What if a team is unable to play two of OU, TX, OSU, meaning they avoid some of the highest ranked teams on their schedule? That is my biggest concern. I think it is going to be a complete clusterfuck to determine who plays for the conference title.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, 'stache said:

MLB also plays several times a week, can do makeup games with double headers, and comparisons of records is less problematic when there are so many games are played. How is the Big XII going to compare records when games are inevitably cancelled and not made up? What if Bedlam or TX/OU are cancelled due to outbreaks? What if ISU doesn't play OU because of an outbreak while everyone else has to play them? What if a team is unable to play two of OU, TX, OSU, meaning they avoid some of the highest ranked teams on their schedule? That is my biggest concern. I think it is going to be a complete clusterfuck to determine who plays for the conference title.

OU will be one team, of course. Even if they somehow played 1 game and lost it. 

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Way too logical, much easier to manage a nut allergy by simply not eating.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

They don't care about records or champions...  they are trying to salvage the billions of dollars generated by the games so they don't complicate things even more with the collateral damages from COVID.  

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

skynet decides, duh

I honestly have not even looked, but is there a conf champ game even scheduled?  I would imaging the TV network could be talked into televising several postponed games during that week to try and make up any.  Or athletic depts just say fuck it.  I know QB1 and the DBs are all running fevers and can;t smell shit on Friday night but we are playing full strength.  I think it was the  Marlins that did that.  They knew for sure that some of the players positive and through a chain of text messages determined to just keep playing.  This was 1 of 60-something baseball games.  I have my doubts that some/most programs won't fudge the numbers to randomly skip testing their star players this season.

Reminds of the Johnny B Good movie where he encounters some scrawny guy in the USC locker room and asks him position he plays.  Dude replies that he is the official drug test pisser or something like that.

Edited by gyroprotagonist