College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So with postponed Bailor/La.Tech game that's already 10...

"The Louisiana Tech-Baylor game is the 10th Division I game that has been postponed because of the novel coronavirus, including Big 12 games SMU at TCU and Tulsa at Oklahoma State. The other postponed games are: North Carolina State at Virginia Tech, Temple at Navy, ULM at Troy, Marshall at East Carolina, and three Rice games — against Houston, Marshall and UAB."

Temple-Navy postponement is weird. Temple claims they couldn't get "game ready" because of local COVID restrictions, not positive cases. There were a couple hundred cases on campus when Temple came back to school, but no reported athletes. Seems like it had something to do with what Navy looked like trying to open the season vs BYU without having done full contact practices.

8 hours ago, BradInATX said:

You come on this board, you have 44 posts, all in politically charged threads, and you make an incredibly stupid claim that when asked for a source,  attempt to support.. using anonymous internet posters on the comments sections of articles. In a world where you can find an "article" that says just about any inane, moronic thought anyone could ever possibly dream, you literally cannot provide a single link to support your claim.

You are either just unbelievably stupid, or a bad actor. There is plenty of good news about Covid going around to where we don't need people like you posting literal fake news and distorting what's actually happening.

But he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

8 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Came here to look for the game week thread. I must admit it is hard to get exited but the honor should go to an avid long time poster. So if you feel you are one of those guys get it done.

It was game week for me too, then it wasn’t. Because everything is fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

Username checks out

Look, if you are scared of coronavirus, you're scared and I can't talk you out of it.  I also understand it.  I'm scared of heights.  You can quote me all the statistics and point out how unlikely it would be for me to die from falling,   but I saw two different people fall to their deaths when I was a kid (One was Santa Claus, but that's another story) so I am always going to be that way...forever.  Same with you and coronavirus, I guess.  I can point you to studies that say doctors kill more people a year than coronavirus (250,000 John Hopkins Study) but you will still be more afraid or coronavirus than doctors.

Where we disagree is letting YOUR fear impact MY life or the lives of others.  I don't try to make mountain climbing illegal because I think it is too dangerous.  You shouldn't be the same with coronavirus and football players.  You can have the last word.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

10 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

Look, if you are scared of coronavirus, you're scared and I can't talk you out of it.  I also understand it.  I'm scared of heights.  You can quote me all the statistics and point out how unlikely it would be for me to die from falling,   but I saw two different people fall to their deaths when I was a kid (One was Santa Claus, but that's another story) so I am always going to be that way...forever.  Same with you and coronavirus, I guess.  I can point you to studies that say doctors kill more people a year than coronavirus (250,000 John Hopkins Study) but you will still be more afraid or coronavirus than doctors.

Where we disagree is letting YOUR fear impact MY life or the lives of others.  I don't try to make mountain climbing illegal because I think it is too dangerous.  You shouldn't be the same with coronavirus and football players.  You can have the last word.

For this age group wouldn’t it make more sense to be much more worried about them getting into a car accident and dying?   Is the hysteria directly related to actual death count or is it just hysteria?  Also since he wasn’t playing football ( games against other schools) and died of Covid does that mean he might have been safer in an environment where he was being tested three times a week like the players actually playing football?   Its just my opinion but with his body mass index and diabetes I’m pretty sure football wasn’t the trigger for his particular Covid dealth.  

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

Is somebody here making something illegal? What the hell are you talking about?

Any dictators in this thread with lawmaking powers?

• Hook 'Em 1

I think if given dictatorial powers, and I got to choose between making Coronavirus illegal or football illegal, I'd probably lean towards making Coronavirus illegal.  But that's just me.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think if given dictatorial powers, and I got to choose between making Coronavirus illegal or football illegal, I'd probably lean towards making Coronavirus illegal.  But that's just me.  

I would go after whomever is responsible for Santa Claus falling to his death.

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

For this age group wouldn’t it make more sense to be much more worried about them getting into a car accident and dying?   Is the hysteria directly related to actual death count or is it just hysteria?  Also since he wasn’t playing football ( games against other schools) and died of Covid does that mean he might have been safer in an environment where he was being tested three times a week like the players actually playing football?   Its just my opinion but with his body mass index and diabetes I’m pretty sure football wasn’t the trigger for his particular Covid dealth.  

Falling while mountain climbing is not contagious.

Covid-19 is very contagious. 

1 out of every 1,500 Amercans alive before Covid-19 is now dead because of Covid-19. Can the same be said about falling from heights?

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, BradInATX said:

You come on this board, you have 44 posts, all in politically charged threads, and you make an incredibly stupid claim that when asked for a source,  attempt to support.. using anonymous internet posters on the comments sections of articles. In a world where you can find an "article" that says just about any inane, moronic thought anyone could ever possibly dream, you literally cannot provide a single link to support your claim.

You are either just unbelievably stupid, or a bad actor. There is plenty of good news about Covid going around to where we don't need people like you posting literal fake news and distorting what's actually happening.

This is what is blowing your mind and an "incredibly stupid claim?:

"Nope.   This is a perfect example of the national media misreporting and not correcting itself.   The PSU student had left the PSU campus 2 months prior & returned home to Allentown.   2 weeks after testing positive for covid and self quarantining/feeling asymptomatic he died of diabetic ketoacidosis."

I'd say it's fairly plausible that in June a kid might not have stayed on a campus that closed in April.  I'd even go as far as to suggest very likely.  As it relates to dying from diabetes, I believe another poster tied that down as another likely scenario.    Regarding the link that you have screamed for in all of your petulant glory, why did you feel entitled to such a demanding and immediate response source or is it that you don't possess the motivation or skills to handle that yourself?

Sounds like it would be a good idea to check your T levels.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah, I have to admit...while I am afraid of heights...I am morbidly curious as to the details of that story.  I ain't gonna probe, and maybe he'll share them with us one day.  But that had to be a fucked up thing to see.

I remember Dad coming out of the house with the binoculars around his neck  before Mom even got the Pontiac in the driveway, yelling,  "How low was that Sonofabitch when his chute opened?!"

MOM:  "Just get in the house!  Everybody get into the House!"

5 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

1 out of every 1,500 Amercans alive before Covid-19 is now dead because of Covid-19. Can the same be said about falling from heights?

I didn’t say anything about mountain climbing.  I referenced car accident deaths for college aged students.  Do a lot of college aged students die from climbing mountains?  I guess technically the death would be caused from falling off of said mountain. 

Edited by stork642

1 minute ago, Cornfusion said:

I remember Dad coming out of the house with the binoculars around his neck  before Mom even got the Pontiac in the driveway, yelling,  "How low was that Sonofabitch when his chute opened?!"

MOM:  "Just get in the house!  Everybody get into the House!"

As god as my witness, I thought Santas could fly.  

13 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I didn’t say anything about mountain climbing.  I referenced car accident deaths for college aged students.  Do a lot of college aged students die from climbing mountains?  I guess technically the death would be caused from falling off of said mountain. 

Unless he tested pos for covid.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Cornfusion said:

Sweet analogy bro. Now do one for masks

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Look man, if you’re not woke like him and you’re scared of corona virus, then YOU can wear a mask but you better not let your fear make HIM wear a mask or he’ll drive his DODGE STRATUS to a Walmart and absolutely lose his shit on some minimum wage employees! 

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Look man, if you’re not woke like him and you’re scared of corona virus, then YOU can wear a mask but you better not let your fear make HIM wear a mask or he’ll drive his DODGE STRATUS to a Walmart and absolutely lose his shit on some minimum wage employees! 

This really sums it up.  A few hundred thousand can die but these tough guys won't be scared.  But if a few hundred died from an ebola like virus they'd be on their conspiracy theories about why it's not on every news channel 24/7.  The same group of people would be walking around in hazmat suits with their AK47's out in plain site, ready to take out any virus that comes their way.  Fuck 2020. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

You should start reading the tweets from national journalists and then understand what “swing and a miss” means

You should stop reading tweets from twats and then try to understand a baseball term that predates the Second Industrial Revolution.

The chicken is already dead.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Rod Serling.jpg

You mean like almost every other virus? Or cancer?

6 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Of all the people who were alive before heights were invented, tons of them later died by falling from heights. Challenge complete!

13 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So nobody has played a down yet and it looks likely 4/10 of the league already postponed. This seems like such an exercise in cognitive dissonance to keep pretending like this can work. 

I have a feeling that all league games (Smokey) will get played, but a lot, if not all of the non-con games get postponed.   

Baylor had fully planned to play until LaTech pulled the plug on themselves when they had 38 positives on the team.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

YOUR selfish decisions WILL cause the deaths of others. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So nobody has played a down yet and it looks likely 4/10 of the league already postponed. This seems like such an exercise in cognitive dissonance to keep pretending like this can work. 

Looks like while 14 KU players are on the list, only 3 are positive from this week. Game is probably still on. 

22 hours ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I don't consider something deadly unless it's worse than rabies: 

You go camping, and at midday you decide to take a nap in a nice little hammock. While sleeping, a tiny brown bat, in the "rage" stages of infection is fidgeting in broad daylight, uncomfortable, and thirsty (due to the hydrophobia) and you snort, startling him. He goes into attack mode. 

Except you're asleep, and he's a little brown bat, so weighs around 6 grams. You don't even feel him land on your bare knee, and he starts to bite. His teeth are tiny. Hardly enough to even break the skin, but he does manage to give you the equivalent of a tiny scrape that goes completely unnoticed. 

Rabies does not travel in your blood. In fact, a blood test won't even tell you if you've got it. (Antibody tests may be done, but are useless if you've ever been vaccinated.) 

You wake up, none the wiser. If you notice anything at the bite site at all, you assume you just lightly scraped it on something. 

The bomb has been lit, and your nervous system is the wick. The rabies will multiply along your nervous system, doing virtually no damage, and completely undetectable. You literally have NO symptoms. 

It may be four days, it may be a year, but the camping trip is most likely long forgotten. Then one day your back starts to ache... Or maybe you get a slight headache? 

At this point, you're already dead. There is no cure.

(The sole caveat to this is the Milwaukee Protocol, which leaves most patients dead anyway, and the survivors mentally disabled, and is seldom done - see below). 

There's no treatment. It has a 100% kill rate. 

Absorb that. Not a single other virus on the planet has a 100% kill rate. Only rabies. And once you're symptomatic, it's over. You're dead. 

So what does that look like? 

Your headache turns into a fever, and a general feeling of being unwell. You're fidgety. Uncomfortable. And scared. As the virus that has taken its time getting into your brain finds a vast network of nerve endings, it begins to rapidly reproduce, starting at the base of your brain... Where your "pons" is located. This is the part of the brain that controls communication between the rest of the brain and body, as well as sleep cycles. 

Next you become anxious. You still think you have only a mild fever, but suddenly you find yourself becoming scared, even horrified, and it doesn't occur to you that you don't know why. This is because the rabies is chewing up your amygdala. 

As your cerebellum becomes hot with the virus, you begin to lose muscle coordination, and balance. You think maybe it's a good idea to go to the doctor now, but assuming a doctor is smart enough to even run the tests necessary in the few days you have left on the planet, odds are they'll only be able to tell your loved ones what you died of later. 

You're twitchy, shaking, and scared. You have the normal fear of not knowing what's going on, but with the virus really fucking the amygdala this is amplified a hundred fold. It's around this time the hydrophobia starts. 

You're horribly thirsty, you just want water. But you can't drink. Every time you do, your throat clamps shut and you vomit. This has become a legitimate, active fear of water. You're thirsty, but looking at a glass of water begins to make you gag, and shy back in fear. The contradiction is hard for your hot brain to see at this point. By now, the doctors will have to put you on IVs to keep you hydrated, but even that's futile. You were dead the second you had a headache. 

You begin hearing things, or not hearing at all as your thalamus goes. You taste sounds, you see smells, everything starts feeling like the most horrifying acid trip anyone has ever been on. With your hippocampus long under attack, you're having trouble remembering things, especially family. 

You're alone, hallucinating, thirsty, confused, and absolutely, undeniably terrified. Everything scares the literal shit out of you at this point. These strange people in lab coats. These strange people standing around your bed crying, who keep trying to get you "drink something" and crying. And it's only been about a week since that little headache that you've completely forgotten. Time means nothing to you anymore. Funny enough, you now know how the bat felt when he bit you.

Eventually, you slip into the "dumb rabies" phase. Your brain has started the process of shutting down. Too much of it has been turned to liquid virus. Your face droops. You drool. You're all but unaware of what's around you. A sudden noise or light might startle you, but for the most part, it's all you can do to just stare at the ground. You haven't really slept for about 72 hours. 

Then you die. Always, you die. 

And there's not one... fucking... thing... anyone can do for you. 

Then there's the question of what to do with your corpse. I mean, sure, burying it is the right thing to do. But the fucking virus can survive in a corpse for years. You could kill every rabid animal on the planet today, and if two years from now, some moist, preserved, rotten hunk of used-to-be brain gets eaten by an animal, it starts all over.

2 things:

1) you promised you’d tell em about the Wisconsin protocol And didn’t. What’s up with that; and

2) I hear you saying next time I get a slight headache after camping I should shoot myself in the head and save myself a bunch of trouble. 

2 things:
1) you promised you’d tell em about the Wisconsin protocol And didn’t. What’s up with that; and
2) I hear you saying next time I get a slight headache after camping I should shoot myself in the head and save myself a bunch of trouble. 
2) Might as well just do it now and save the rest of us a bunch of trouble... Just sayin.
  • Like 1

Just now, JMFP said:
1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:
2 things:

2) Might as well just do it now and save the rest of us a bunch of trouble... Just sayin.

Most of the rest of y’all a bunch of trouble. I know there are at least 2 or 3 people that would be sad. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 6:19 PM, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I don't consider something deadly unless it's worse than rabies: 

You go camping, and at midday you decide to take a nap in a nice little hammock. While sleeping, a tiny brown bat, in the "rage" stages of infection is fidgeting in broad daylight, uncomfortable, and thirsty (due to the hydrophobia) and you snort, startling him. He goes into attack mode. 

Except you're asleep, and he's a little brown bat, so weighs around 6 grams. You don't even feel him land on your bare knee, and he starts to bite. His teeth are tiny. Hardly enough to even break the skin, but he does manage to give you the equivalent of a tiny scrape that goes completely unnoticed. 

Rabies does not travel in your blood. In fact, a blood test won't even tell you if you've got it. (Antibody tests may be done, but are useless if you've ever been vaccinated.) 

You wake up, none the wiser. If you notice anything at the bite site at all, you assume you just lightly scraped it on something. 

The bomb has been lit, and your nervous system is the wick. The rabies will multiply along your nervous system, doing virtually no damage, and completely undetectable. You literally have NO symptoms. 

It may be four days, it may be a year, but the camping trip is most likely long forgotten. Then one day your back starts to ache... Or maybe you get a slight headache? 

At this point, you're already dead. There is no cure.

(The sole caveat to this is the Milwaukee Protocol, which leaves most patients dead anyway, and the survivors mentally disabled, and is seldom done - see below). 

There's no treatment. It has a 100% kill rate. 

Absorb that. Not a single other virus on the planet has a 100% kill rate. Only rabies. And once you're symptomatic, it's over. You're dead. 

So what does that look like? 

Your headache turns into a fever, and a general feeling of being unwell. You're fidgety. Uncomfortable. And scared. As the virus that has taken its time getting into your brain finds a vast network of nerve endings, it begins to rapidly reproduce, starting at the base of your brain... Where your "pons" is located. This is the part of the brain that controls communication between the rest of the brain and body, as well as sleep cycles. 

Next you become anxious. You still think you have only a mild fever, but suddenly you find yourself becoming scared, even horrified, and it doesn't occur to you that you don't know why. This is because the rabies is chewing up your amygdala. 

As your cerebellum becomes hot with the virus, you begin to lose muscle coordination, and balance. You think maybe it's a good idea to go to the doctor now, but assuming a doctor is smart enough to even run the tests necessary in the few days you have left on the planet, odds are they'll only be able to tell your loved ones what you died of later. 

You're twitchy, shaking, and scared. You have the normal fear of not knowing what's going on, but with the virus really fucking the amygdala this is amplified a hundred fold. It's around this time the hydrophobia starts. 

You're horribly thirsty, you just want water. But you can't drink. Every time you do, your throat clamps shut and you vomit. This has become a legitimate, active fear of water. You're thirsty, but looking at a glass of water begins to make you gag, and shy back in fear. The contradiction is hard for your hot brain to see at this point. By now, the doctors will have to put you on IVs to keep you hydrated, but even that's futile. You were dead the second you had a headache. 

You begin hearing things, or not hearing at all as your thalamus goes. You taste sounds, you see smells, everything starts feeling like the most horrifying acid trip anyone has ever been on. With your hippocampus long under attack, you're having trouble remembering things, especially family. 

You're alone, hallucinating, thirsty, confused, and absolutely, undeniably terrified. Everything scares the literal shit out of you at this point. These strange people in lab coats. These strange people standing around your bed crying, who keep trying to get you "drink something" and crying. And it's only been about a week since that little headache that you've completely forgotten. Time means nothing to you anymore. Funny enough, you now know how the bat felt when he bit you.

Eventually, you slip into the "dumb rabies" phase. Your brain has started the process of shutting down. Too much of it has been turned to liquid virus. Your face droops. You drool. You're all but unaware of what's around you. A sudden noise or light might startle you, but for the most part, it's all you can do to just stare at the ground. You haven't really slept for about 72 hours. 

Then you die. Always, you die. 

And there's not one... fucking... thing... anyone can do for you. 

Then there's the question of what to do with your corpse. I mean, sure, burying it is the right thing to do. But the fucking virus can survive in a corpse for years. You could kill every rabid animal on the planet today, and if two years from now, some moist, preserved, rotten hunk of used-to-be brain gets eaten by an animal, it starts all over.

So I got bitten by an pitbull last year and thought I got rabies, and did an unreasonably amount of rabies research. I went to 2 different hospitals trying to get rabies shot, was denied at both despite my insistence, thankfully (with great insurance you’re probably looking at $15,000 out of pocket for the shots).

1) there have been a couple documented cases of people surviving rabies, leading some in the medical field to believe that others could be out there who were exposed to it and naturally killed the virus off without even knowing. 

2) It’s a pretty fucking rare disease. As in there are entire years that go by in the US where it doesn’t kill anyone. 

Texas Football All-Access that aired tonight was pretty great and would probably make most of y'all feel better about proceeding. 

If students are gonna be on campus, the players are undeniably better off being involved in the football program that has so much intere$t in keeping them healthy. 

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

September 26th for XII kickoff would have been a good idea, looking at 40% of teams not playing on their intended weekend...

Or they could have started earlier, with more bye weeks for rescheduled games.  The 'positive casedemic' is going to be an  issue all year.  And, there are very powerful people out there who are massively invested in keeping the US locked down...until they present the solution.  

College football in September is a return to the 'Old Normal' and that threatens the 'New Normal'. They're going to do everything they can to stop it.  This football season has become an important political and economic battleground.   

Expect delays.  Expect fearmongering.  Expect negative propaganda.  Keep playing football games.

Edited by Monster
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2