College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

36 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I bet Ohio State & Nebraska wish they could build a week by week schedule right about now...

guaranteed those calls have been going out for weeks by those two programs..  with or without representation as a Big Ten member. 

In other news, this BYU/LA TECH matchup, is that the Battle of the "Wives Bangers vs Sisters Bangers" ?

Edited by DenverHorn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WBT said:

Why does it have to be all or nothing?  Can't the B1G teams that want to play just play each other home and home?  Maybe pay to bring in a couple of sunbelt/conf usa teams?  BYU probably still has a couple of slots open too.

BYU absolutely has a crappy schedule of 8 games that I'm sure they'd be happy to play some legit teams.  HBU has 3 teams on their schedule- I'd imagine they'd be willing to play some more.  Stuff like that. 

Why does it have to be all or nothing?  Can't the B1G teams that want to play just play each other home and home?  Maybe pay to bring in a couple of sunbelt/conf usa teams?  BYU probably still has a couple of slots open too.

The rumor is that the opting out teams want a sizeable share of any revenue generated by the opting in teams. Opting in teams not happy about this.
  • Haha 1

I have such mixed feelings about the sit out by B1G and Pac12.  On the one hand I'm delighted Nebraska and tOSU and PSU are currently getting screwed.  OTOH I will miss three or four B1G games this year if they do not play.  The Pac12 I could absolutely care less about other than Oregon.  None of that conference will be missed until USC rights itself.  I cannot imagine the "old school" like Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa like being dictated to by newcumbers Rutgers and Maryland or Nebraska or even PSU for that matter.  

9 minutes ago, BevoSwag said:

I have such mixed feelings about the sit out by B1G and Pac12.  On the one hand I'm delighted Nebraska and tOSU and PSU are currently getting screwed.  OTOH I will miss three or four B1G games this year if they do not play.  The Pac12 I could absolutely care less about other than Oregon.  None of that conference will be missed until USC rights itself.  I cannot imagine the "old school" like Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa like being dictated to by newcumbers Rutgers and Maryland or Nebraska or even PSU for that matter.  

I miss pac12 after dark, especially with the always entertaining pirate games.   B1G who cares.  boring ass football.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DenverHorn said:

Sadly I had to double check to make sure we were actually in one since the both of us matched up in '09.  Apathy loves company, Fml...  Fol.

I posted on TOS the parallels of both programs post last winning NC appearance and they were eerily similar.

Edited by mulletpelini
and it wasn't good news
  • Hook 'Em 1

Five Texas Tech Red Raiders football players tested positive for COVID-19 last week, bringing the team's total positive cases to 75 since players returned to campus in the middle of June, the school announced.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29888279/texas-tech-says-5-more-players-test-positive-covid-19

I wonder if our next game will be postponed?

9 minutes ago, brakeman said:

Five Texas Tech Red Raiders football players tested positive for COVID-19 last week, bringing the team's total positive cases to 75 since players returned to campus in the middle of June, the school announced.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29888279/texas-tech-says-5-more-players-test-positive-covid-19

I wonder if our next game will be postponed?

Not for 5 players. If anything, Tech’s the safest because they might already be at herd immunity with 75/123 already having it.  
Mark it down, Tech are your 2020 Covid-19 National Champs! 

The sports ratings these past few months are really confusing to me.  Every sport is down and down considerably.  

I wrote off the NBA and NFL due to social issues but for CFB to be down so far as well is really surprising.  You can argue 40% of the major conferences are missing however I’m shocked the remaining demand didn’t offset the smaller supply.  

When you add in that even non-live sports related shows such as Last Chance U and Hard Knocks viewers are off 50%+ it’s like there’s little demand for sports at all anymore.  

It’s probably a better discussion for a different thread but I can’t make sense of any of it. 

20 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

The sports ratings these past few months are really confusing to me.  Every sport is down and down considerably.  

I wrote off the NBA and NFL due to social issues but for CFB to be down so far as well is really surprising.  You can argue 40% of the major conferences are missing however I’m shocked the remaining demand didn’t offset the smaller supply.  

When you add in that even non-live sports related shows such as Last Chance U and Hard Knocks viewers are off 50%+ it’s like there’s little demand for sports at all anymore.  

It’s probably a better discussion for a different thread but I can’t make sense of any of it. 

I think a lot of it is that they are off calendar and still far from normal if they are being played. Even watching on TV the crowd is part of the deal, and I think a lot of people find the fake crowd noise plenty off putting. I haven't watched near as much baseball as I usually do just because it seems so weird. Being in the stands for the K-State game was ok at first, but it just got progressively stranger as it went on. Overall, my sense is the desire for a diminished overall product(in the competitive and normal fan experience) is not as high as one would think. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

I think a lot of it is that they are off calendar and still far from normal if they are being played. Even watching on TV the crowd is part of the deal, and I think a lot of people find the fake crowd noise plenty off putting. I haven't watched near as much baseball as I usually do just because it seems so weird. Being in the stands for the K-State game was ok at first, but it just got progressively stranger as it went on. Overall, my sense is the desire for a diminished overall product(in the competitive and normal fan experience) is not as high as one would think. 

This.  A lot of it is that it is weird to watch.  The atmosphere really has a lot to do with CFB and that is missing.  Plus, the matchups have been pretty shitty so far as well.

They’ll pick up when the SEC starts. We talk a big game in the off season during normal life, but nobody is excited to watch Clemson throttle WF. When your excitement for the day was the sun belt punking the big 12, then yea...I can see why people were doing fall or winter prep work last weekend. I cleaned my garage

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

This.  A lot of it is that it is weird to watch.  The atmosphere really has a lot to do with CFB and that is missing.  Plus, the matchups have been pretty shitty so far as well.

I’d add to this, for me, the Texas game has been the first sports I’ve watched since March. The NBA playoffs are one of my favorite events (the world’s best athletes in a 7 game chess match is awesome), but I haven’t really had much interest this year. It isn’t the social issues or the weirdness of the environment or some sort of illegitimacy for the seasons; it just seems less important. For me, this is for two reasons:

1. I’ve personally seen enough suffering and death related to our current situations that watching games that I’m not REALLY invested in seems uninteresting. Escape is good, but I’d rather be productive. 

2. The current state of our world means that my work life is busier and way more complicated. I’m simply too busy and too tired to sit through a game unless I’m invested in the players. 

I work in higher ed and most of my students seem to be walking around in a similar fog.

It was really nice to watch the Texas game though. The lack of band, etc. made it less colorful, but the lack of sucking made up for it.

• Hook 'Em 4

What’s changed? They thought everybody would jump off the ship with them. Now that it appears that a season of some sort will go on, the spring doesn’t look so good.
Bingo, there really is nothing more to it. The B1G thought other conferences would follow their lead

1 minute ago, ousux said:
On 9/13/2020 at 10:39 PM, C-Man said:

What’s changed? They thought everybody would jump off the ship with them. Now that it appears that a season of some sort will go on, the spring doesn’t look so good.

Bingo, there really is nothing more to it. The B1G thought other conferences would follow their lead

And they had their media shills try to browbeat the other conferences. They all look fucking stupid.

There was no reason to completely cancel when they did. NONE.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

That's great.  No "tailgating", but you can gather in the parking lots behind the tailgate of your truck.  But just don't tailgate.  Mmmkay.

And I like this:

Athletic Director Greg McGarity said Georgia did not expressly forbid such things, but that time and location constraints should eliminate any notion of setting up an elaborate tailgate in the traditional sense.

Ha.  We can have our whole setup in place in 15 minutes with enough bodies, and broken down and packed just as fast.  2.5 hours to get loaded sounds like enough time to me.

“The three hours cuts down on the time it takes to set up and things of that nature,” McGarity said. “I think that will take care of any traditional tailgating. It’s not like you can take your stuff out to Myers Quad and set up. There’s not enough time to be lounging around before going to the game.”

Edited by Sbbruin

20 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That's great.  No "tailgating", but you can gather in the parking lots behind the tailgate of your truck.  But just don't tailgate.  Mmmkay.

“The three hours cuts down on the time it takes to set up and things of that nature,” McGarity said. “I think that will take care of any traditional tailgating. It’s not like you can take your stuff out to Myers Quad and set up. There’s not enough time to be lounging around before going to the game.”

"Challenge accepted."

-Georgia tailgaters

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

Dan Woken is a fucking shithead, period. He wants everyone to shed a tear for the BIG and PAC, and point out how responsible and "following the science" they are, while ignoring that the main reason they canceled when they did was due to a debunked myocarditis report. He leaves out the fact that the Big 12 was widely criticized, by him as well, for using a "twitter doctor's" advice (a world renowned expert from the Mayo clinic). He cites the 75 positive cases at Texas Tech, while failing to point out the zero hospitalizations. He wants so badly for something really bad to happen at any of the schools that decided to push forward and play. No doubt he already has his "told you so" article written and ready to go. It's all political for him, and he sucks.

Just look at his profile pic. Very punchable face

9 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

No SEC, so maybe no SEC audience?  The matchups weren't very good.  (Will be interesting to see how week 3 ratings match up)

Got to factor in the forced Covid/Society lectures from announcers.  They're a big part of all sports broadcast right now...even CFB.   

During Notre Dame game, the camera showed students dancing in the stands and the announcers started a guilt-trip-lecture on social distancing which included a threat of more shutdowns.  I changed the channel, as I always do now, the moment the announcers pull out their Covid/Society talking points.   

If it's not my school on TV, it's just not worth it to subject myself to the incessant lecturing and fear-mongering propaganda.  

Edited by Monster
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1