College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, Monster said:

No SEC, so maybe no SEC audience?  The matchups weren't very good.  (Will be interesting to see how week 3 ratings match up)

Got to factor in the forced Covid/Society lectures from announcers.  They're a big part of all sports broadcast right now...even CFB.   

During Notre Dame game, the camera showed students dancing in the stands and the announcers started a guilt-trip-lecture on social distancing which included a threat of more shutdowns.  I changed the channel, as I always do now, the moment the announcers pull out their Covid/Society talking points.   

If it's not my school on TV, it's just not worth it to subject myself to the incessant lecturing and fear-mongering propaganda.  

Iowa State was the only interesting game national broadcast so far.  And sorry but, it's Iowa State.   ND looked like they did have some kind of flu.  Clemson as a blowout in the first.  OU and UT were PPV. 

Basically there were no contenders playing a watchable game.  It felt more like the 'week zero' than a hyped up Labor Day kickoff.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Monster said:

No SEC, so maybe no SEC audience?  The matchups weren't very good.  (Will be interesting to see how week 3 ratings match up)

Got to factor in the forced Covid/Society lectures from announcers.  They're a big part of all sports broadcast right now...even CFB.   

During Notre Dame game, the camera showed students dancing in the stands and the announcers started a guilt-trip-lecture on social distancing which included a threat of more shutdowns.  I changed the channel, as I always do now, the moment the announcers pull out their Covid/Society talking points.   

If it's not my school on TV, it's just not worth it to subject myself to the incessant lecturing and fear-mongering propaganda.  

"Fear mongering propaganda" ?????

Are you an idiot?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

There are 200K dead. We will cruise to 300K dead.

"People with underlying medical conditions such as heart disease and diabetes were hospitalized six times as often as otherwise healthy individuals infected with the novel coronavirus during the first four months of the pandemic, and they died 12 times as often, according to a federal health report..."

While I don't believe this virus is a hoax or government plot, this virus mostly kills people that have serious lifestyle-related illnesses.  If you choose to smoke, have unprotected sex, drink to excess, be sedentary, and eat shitty foods, you're at risk.  If you're in decent shape, you'll have a bad case of the flu.  Counter-argument is that some people that have non-lifestyle related illnesses such as cancer didn't cause their problems, but those people with compromised immune systems weren't going out anyway.  So should the rest of us compromise or give up our livelihoods, football, movies, concerts, and socializing because people made bad lifestyle choices?  I would hope that after this is over people might get off their fat asses and lift a dumbbell and shed a few pounds, maybe choose a salad over a calzone, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Edited by Zone Read
typo
  • Fuck You 7

8 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Iowa State was the only interesting game national broadcast so far.  And sorry but, it's Iowa State.   ND looked like they did have some kind of flu.  Clemson as a blowout in the first.  OU and UT were PPV. 

Basically there were no contenders playing a watchable game.  It felt more like the 'week zero' than a hyped up Labor Day kickoff.   

For any true football fan, Texas State - UTSA was an extremely entertaining game.  

So beta.  He's so upset they decided to play.

Bowing to pressure from players, coaches and politicians, the Big Ten’s presidents decided Wednesday morning to move forward with an eight-game football season beginning on Oct. 24, according to a person close to the situation, reversing their August decision to postpone the fall schedule and ending weeks of drama that spread from campuses all the way to the White House.

Citing new information presented by the league’s medical advisory board last weekend, including the imminent availability of rapid antigen tests for COVID-19 that can be administered on a daily basis, Big Ten presidents concluded they can safely conduct a football season, even as some of them struggle with infection rates on their own campuses.

So did they bow to pressure or did they get new info?

Coronabros Thamel, Forde, Wolken, Rovell are in their basements this morning crying because not only is B1G football back, but they were beat to the punch by Clay Travis and sir yacht. Lol.

Yes herpa lerpa derpa...that’s gonna hurt their online ego. Good thing they can shut off comments for their tweets

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

"People with underlying medical conditions such as heart disease and diabetes were hospitalized six times as often as otherwise healthy individuals infected with the novel coronavirus during the first four months of the pandemic, and they died 12 times as often, according to a federal health report..."

While I don't believe this virus is a hoax or government plot, this virus mostly kills people that have serious lifestyle-related illnesses.  If you choose to smoke, have unprotected sex, drink to excess, be sedentary, and eat shitty foods, you're at risk.  If you're in decent shape, you'll have a bad case of the flu.  Counter-argument is that some people that have non-lifestyle related illnesses such as cancer didn't cause their problems, but those people with compromised immune systems weren't going out anyway.  So should the rest of us compromise or give up our livelihoods, football, movies, concerts, and socializing because people made bad lifestyle choices?  I would hope that after this is over people might get off their fat asses and lift a dumbbell and shed a few pounds, maybe choose a salad over a calzone, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Just another great opportunity to cull the herd.

You sound like a retard boomer on Facebook with all those talking points
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

2 hours ago, Zone Read said:

So should the rest of us compromise or give up our livelihoods, football, movies, concerts, and socializing because people made bad lifestyle choices? 

If you add up all of the factors that put people at legit risk to Covid, you are getting close to 1/4 of the population.

Let's use your logic and look at 9/11. Terrorists had attacked NYC before.....and had attacked the World Trade Center before. Our lives got changed forever, and many of our civil liberties were flushed down the toilet, because of the lifestyle choices people made to work in the high-risk areas of NY and DC/VA. We lost less than 3,000 people on 9/11. We are losing that every 2-4 days under Covid-19. And....we still don't know the long-term consequences of having asymptomatic Covid-19. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zone Read said:

What an unbelievable selfish and self righteous post.

Please kindly go fuck yourself with a rusty dildo. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Goodman said:

What a joke. Those 8 Nebraska parents should receive a percentage of BIG revenue this year, they really upset the plan.

The new testing technology along with several games being played safely does change things I think. I keep mentioning that but people on this thread keep insisting nothing has changed since August.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

What an unbelievable selfish and self righteous post.

Please kindly go fuck yourself with a rusty dildo. 

Selfish and self-righteous?  Hardly.  Proven facts.  This country has insanely high rates of heart disease, hypertension, and diabetes.  Are you going to deny that?  You don't think that plays a part?  Go into a supermarket, amusement park or any other mass gathering in this country and look at the percentage of people who overweight or smoking.  Then go to one in some of the more fit European countries.  It's quite an eye-opener.  People here simply don't take care of themselves and wonder why they may have problems when their immune systems get challenged.  I know people that have died from this.  I feel bad and grieve for the casualties of this pandemic but at the end of the day, most broke their immune system and it wasn't able to perform when they needed it.  

In most cases, (not saying all) many of the underlying diseases are very preventable with lifestyle changes.  Eat right most of the time and do a half hour of exercise a day, maybe some stress reduction and chances are you'll be OK if you get Covid.  As for being old as someone mentioned, being old puts you more at risk because you've been doing these for a longer period of time.  Plenty of healthy old people out there.  

• Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The new testing technology along with several games being played safely does change things I think. I keep mentioning that but people on this thread keep insisting nothing has changed since August.

That testing technology is not new since their decision. The newly approved testing kits were delivered just a few weeks after they cancelled their season. This technology was on the verge of approval and that information was available when they held their last vote. But I agree that seeing someone else execute this logistically with no players getting sick was new information. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Of course it changes things but no room to claim safety, that's never been a real. If it were they would not play 8 games in 8 weeks or suggest a spring season.

On the P12 front, the logistics are really going to wreak havoc on trying to get a season in.  There is no way, even if the conference green lit it tomorrow, that the LA and Oregon schools could even start practicing in any meaningful way for at least a couple of weeks with all of the smoke.  The entire city of LA is covered in an overcast gray, and none of that is marine layer.  It is all smoke.  So say early/mid October fall camp, that means the season would start mid November at best.  At that point we are so far behind everyone else that we would just be playing in our own sandbox.  Not sure that would be compelling for anyone.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

On the P12 front, the logistics are really going to wreak havoc on trying to get a season in.  There is no way, even if the conference green lit it tomorrow, that the LA and Oregon schools could even start practicing in any meaningful way for at least a couple of weeks with all of the smoke.  The entire city of LA is covered in an overcast gray, and none of that is marine layer.  It is all smoke.  So say early/mid October fall camp, that means the season would start mid November at best.  At that point we are so far behind everyone else that we would just be playing in our own sandbox.  Not sure that would be compelling for anyone.

Yup.  Outside of the testing agreement, I've seen zero interest from anywhere on the PAC12 side to have me believe a fall season is in the works.  Your points take the odds even further out.

1 hour ago, Zone Read said:

Go into a supermarket, amusement park or any other mass gathering in this country and look at the percentage of people who overweight or smoking.  Then go to one in some of the more fit European countries.  It's quite an eye-opener. 

I don't think you want to compare smoking here versus Europe to make your point.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Tweets from 4 days ago that didn't age well

Only to write these words today.  He was so sure, but now so sad.

Bowing to pressure from players, coaches and politicians, the Big Ten’s presidents decided Wednesday morning to move forward with an eight-game football season beginning on the weekend of Oct. 24.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Bowing to pressure from players, coaches and politicians, the Big Ten’s presidents decided Wednesday morning to move forward with an eight-game football season beginning on the weekend of Oct. 24.

Has anything he has ever tweeted aged particularly well?

Yah, I now regret lumping Wolken in with Mandel, Thamel, etc. when talking about the good journalists last week. I do think he's done some solid columns, for example one about the importance of daily testing which ultimately proved to be right on the money. But since then he's gone way out on this limb about the medical expertise of the B1G/Pac, apparently not noticing that they were aggressively trying to find medical solutions to play ASAP. Wish he would go back to just antagonizing red meat SEC types, he's good at that

33 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Yah, I now regret lumping Wolken in with Mandel, Thamel, etc. when talking about the good journalists last week. I do think he's done some solid columns, for example one about the importance of daily testing which ultimately proved to be right on the money. But since then he's gone way out on this limb about the medical expertise of the B1G/Pac, apparently not noticing that they were aggressively trying to find medical solutions to play ASAP. Wish he would go back to just antagonizing red meat SEC types, he's good at that

Yeah, considering Wolken even a journalist is a stretch. 

I think Leach said it best (old tweet)::

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Dan Wolken pisses sitting down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

For any true football fan, Texas State - UTSA was an extremely entertaining game.  

It was on ESPN2 up against GT-FSU.  But a true football fan would appreciate a game that is played under 5 hours w/o lightening delays.

say anyone know how to get a game broadcast on the USA network without buying an annual subscription to Silk Stalkings?

Edited by notre dame joe

Larry Scott:

“At this time, our universities in California and Oregon do not have approval from state or local public health officials to start contact practice,” the statement from Scott read. “We are hopeful that our new daily testing capability can help satisfy public health official approvals in California and Oregon to begin contact practice and competition. We are equally closely monitoring the devastating fires and air quality in our region at this time. We are eager for our student-athletes to have the opportunity to play this season, as soon as it can be done safely and in accordance with public health authority approvals.”

29 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Larry Scott:

“At this time, our universities in California and Oregon do not have approval from state or local public health officials to start contact practice,” the statement from Scott read. “We are hopeful that our new daily testing capability can help satisfy public health official approvals in California and Oregon to begin contact practice and competition. We are equally closely monitoring the devastating fires and air quality in our region at this time. We are eager for our student-athletes to have the opportunity to play this season, as soon as it can be done safely and in accordance with public health authority approvals.”

I kinda have to agree.  It's an apocalypse in CA even without covid

3210bfee-3ecb-4463-8749-90f5c783400a-AFP

11 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Coronabros Thamel, Forde, Wolken, Rovell are in their basements this morning crying because not only is B1G football back, but they were beat to the punch by Clay Travis and sir yacht. Lol.

Yes herpa lerpa derpa...that’s gonna hurt their online ego. Good thing they can shut off comments for their tweets

For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone listens to them or cares what they say. If it wasn't for jerkoffs on this thread I'd have no idea who they are or what they are saying 

10 hours ago, Zone Read said:

As for being old as someone mentioned, being old puts you more at risk because you've been doing these for a longer period of time.  Plenty of healthy old people out there.  

My dad never smoked, drank very, very little, was a D1 letterman athlete in SWC days (before “D1” was a thing), ran 5-10 miles a day, 5-6 days a week, for most of his adult life, worked hard on our little family farm and in community development for a very, very long time, ate EXTREMELY healthily all his life, and never had the beetus or anything remotely resembling lifestyle-induced bad health. 
He’s now 87 and has Alzheimer’s. He’s at extreme risk if he catches C19.  I’d rather him stay alive for a while for a variety of reasons.  But I guess he’s expendable because he chose to live so healthy for so long?

Please explain your logic. Because it sounds a lot like eugenics. 
Thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1