College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

It’s just amazing that after all of the evidence available there are still mouthbreathers clinging to the idea that masks aren’t important. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised given the flat earthers, the QAnon morons, etc. You’d think these really dumb people would at some point realize that they look incredibly stupid to the rest of the world.

6 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Amazing how all the theater evaporates when people finally get tired of playing along. Same thing is happening with the masks. More and more people are saying, "naaaahhh". 

That kind of stupidity is exactly what could kill football games at any point of the season.

Dumbfucks !

11 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Yeah, that’s the way it was looking to me from the outside. That offense seems to have had its moment and now it’s passed, as all innovations ultimately do. 

It's more than that.  He fails to take recruiting as seriously as he needs to.  He thought kids would line up to come play for him.  Uh, no.  You gotta hustle your ass off on the recruiting trail, as EVERYONE knows.  By the time he realized he needed to put in the work, we were losing at a rate that no one wanted to touch.  And down the drain we went.

SC and UCLA cleared to practice.  My guess is we will be close to starting at the same time as the B1G.

The Pac-12 cleared another hurdle toward returning to play Thursday, as the Los Angeles County Public Health Department confirmed it will continue not to have any restrictions beyond what's mandated from the state of California as it relates to the USC and UCLA football teams.

"We have not placed other local restrictions or requirements so that means as long as the institution is implementing its athletic program in compliance with all the guidelines within the state document (which also includes a requirement to adhere to all NCAA directives), it is permitted in Los Angeles County," the health department said in a statement.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, LTbear said:

Plenty of PAC fans care passionately about their teams. The difference between PAC schools and others is that PAC fan bases by and large have way better options for entertainment when the team isn't good. 

Also why their conference is dogshit. 

I’m just guessing, but maybe Big 10 players like those at Wisconsin, thinking a few weeks ago that there wouldn’t be football, started loosening up their network instead of trying to stay within a relatively tight team bubble.

I mean, our Longhorn players are still college kids and it’s possible that some of them may give in to temptation at some point during the Fall. But I have to imagine it’s a different mindset when you don’t think there’s a Fall season to keep your behavior in check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I’m just guessing, but maybe Big 10 players like those at Wisconsin, thinking a few weeks ago that there wouldn’t be football, started loosening up their network instead of trying to stay within a relatively tight team bubble.

I mean, our Longhorn players are still college kids and it’s possible that some of them may give in to temptation at some point during the Fall. But I have to imagine it’s a different mindset when you don’t think there’s a Fall season to keep your behavior in check.

Yep 

5 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I love to mask debate. I usually mask debate right before I fall asleep each night, and I mask debate as soon as I wake up each morning. I mask debate on my way to work, and I typically mask debate while I'm at work. I sometimes even mask debate in the shower. I love mask debating.  

There really should be no debate.

Wear a fucking mask people!

Am I doing this right?

17 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I love to mask debate. I usually mask debate right before I fall asleep each night, and I mask debate as soon as I wake up each morning. I mask debate on my way to work, and I typically mask debate while I'm at work. I sometimes even mask debate in the shower. I love mask debating.  

Pretty sure you can get fired for that.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah we have that in Central Texas to. People from all over and the impact is pretty similar. Texas football is not the great unifying thing it once was, a large percentage of the population has no particular attachment to it. It is just another entertainment option, to be ignored when it isn't fun.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, LTbear said:

Plenty of PAC fans care passionately about their teams. The difference between PAC schools and others is that PAC fan bases by and large have way better options for entertainment when the team isn't good. 

Exactly.  And what I have also realized up here is that college football is just entertainment to the majority in the northwest/west coast. Not many live and breath off what a college sports team does. It’s just a game/entertainment which as you said there’s lots to do.  
That said if I was still in Austin I’d have my season tickets still. I feel like a know it all when people start talking college football up here. And I don’t follow it like some of y’all do. It’s just a different society then the rest of the country.  Dare I say more civilized in some cases? Lol

7 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

Exactly.  And what I have also realized up here is that college football is just entertainment to the majority in the northwest/west coast. Not many live and breath off what a college sports team does. It’s just a game/entertainment which as you said there’s lots to do.  
That said if I was still in Austin I’d have my season tickets still. I feel like a know it all when people start talking college football up here. And I don’t follow it like some of y’all do. It’s just a different society then the rest of the country.  Dare I say more civilized in some cases? Lol

Distill all that down and it's just another way of saying fans out there just aren't as passionate about college football.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

image.gif.958d9e13d23bba43e533b7d219c2dd25.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You also have the massive influx of people from other parts of the country on the coasts, which means a lot of the people in LA (for example) have no reason to be invested in USC or UCLA.  You see less of that in the Midwest and South.

This is very true, on all levels of sports.  In a metro area of 13 mil, only a small percentage have any allegiance to local college teams.  Those teams have no regional identity, unlike an Iowa or Iowa St, where likely 80% of the population identifies with one or the other.  And you see it at the pro level, especially Dodger Stadium.  There as SO many transplants, that you have a large number of fans from opposing teams, no matter who you are playing.  There aren't all that many homegrown multi-generational angelenos like me left.  And with this pandemic, I think we're going to see more leave.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

In a metro area of 13 mil, only a small percentage have any allegiance to local college teams.

I actually see that as pretty positive. While Texas football has been mostly poorly governed for 40+ years now, I don't think that governance would be improved by having an NFL-style fanbase exerting pressure on the program.  

5 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

The obvious parts of California, I get. But what does Oregon/Washington/Arizona bring to the table during football season that is so different?

What do you mean..? As in to relation to other PAC schools (can't answer that too well) or in relation to XII adding those schools..?

If the later, Arizona State & Utah are both football 1st schools a notch under USC, Oregon has been football 1st for decades now...

18 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

What do you mean..? As in to relation to other PAC schools (can't answer that too well) or in relation to XII adding those schools..?

If the later, Arizona State & Utah are both football 1st schools a notch under USC, Oregon has been football 1st for decades now...

Sorry, I meant what form of entertainment do these states have that is so different than what you would find in the South/Midwest. That seems to be a popular reason why the PAC doesn't have the same love for football as the other regions. I heard that argument used on several occasions before this thread. 

4 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:

Me when I tried not to Mask Debate...

nTaeYdq.gif

52 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Sorry, I meant what form of entertainment do these states have that is so different than what you would find in the South/Midwest. That seems to be a popular reason why the PAC doesn't have the same love for football as the other regions. I heard that argument used on several occasions before this thread. 

What are you talking about? The weather is absolutely perfect in Washington and Oregon from october to march without a hint of rain! (I say this as someone moving up there soon and am very stoked but yea it's a dumb argument)