College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Due to local goverment guidelines, contact tracing, not positive results of conducted COVID-19 tests on football players and staff members, led to the decision to cancel the game. Because of the guidelines in place, multiple Baylor players were set to miss the game as a direct result of contact tracing and not due to positive COVID-19 tests, the source said.

Several Baylor players who were set to miss the game did not receive a single positive test, and despite also receiving multiple negative tests in the same time frame, were not allowed to return to team activities because of local regulations in place for contact tracing.

Big 12 programs are required to test athletes three times during game weeks to best monitor developing cases. Because of that rule in place, multiple Baylor players were set to miss the game against Houston despite the potential of having up to six negative COVID-19 tests over the last two weeks.

An additional frustration, according to the source, comes from the inability to restest athletes who test positive for COVID-19. The inability to retest prevents checking for false-positive results which have been a regular occurence when testing for the virus.

5 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Due to local goverment guidelines, contact tracing, not positive results of conducted COVID-19 tests on football players and staff members, led to the decision to cancel the game. Because of the guidelines in place, multiple Baylor players were set to miss the game as a direct result of contact tracing and not due to positive COVID-19 tests, the source said.

Several Baylor players who were set to miss the game did not receive a single positive test, and despite also receiving multiple negative tests in the same time frame, were not allowed to return to team activities because of local regulations in place for contact tracing.

Big 12 programs are required to test athletes three times during game weeks to best monitor developing cases. Because of that rule in place, multiple Baylor players were set to miss the game against Houston despite the potential of having up to six negative COVID-19 tests over the last two weeks.

An additional frustration, according to the source, comes from the inability to restest athletes who test positive for COVID-19. The inability to retest prevents checking for false-positive results which have been a regular occurence when testing for the virus.

if only Waco was as strict with rape as they are with the rona. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

With all these cancellations/postponements shouldn't teams be playing during their bye week if both teams are capable? 

If Texas and Tech both looked capable of playing this past Sunday seems like they should move the timeline up on these games. Still get a week to prepare. 

No. Any games that are played right now is gravy. It's also the carrot that teams can use to keep their players in line. You do what you're supposed to do with the protocols then you get the reward of playing. You f around, you don't get to play. 

5 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

No positive tests but being required to cancel because of contact tracing?

lulz, well that’s a lot of bullshit. 

Yep.  Eight months into this thing and most of the people publicly stating the term "contact tracing" have no idea what it actually means, and sure as shit no idea how to accurately deploy it.  

Yep.  Eight months into this thing and most of the people publicly stating the term "contact tracing" have no idea what it actually means, and sure as shit no idea how to accurately deploy it.  

I’ve known one person who’s tested positive for the Covid. This was about a month ago. He said contact tracing was a joke, at least in his case in MN. I’m not sure if they asked him the questions on who he’s seen or if he gave them a list of who he’s been around. Sounded like they just asked him and all of his answers were “no i haven’t seen them”

It sure as hell doesn’t sound like it’s going the way you, I, or anyone else envisioned it would go

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think simply by playing we are prioritizing football over safety. We are all spending millions on player safety.

I do question having fans in the stadium but that shouldn't hurt the players.

I hope the PAC 12 starts up at some point, even if it is November or something. Those Washington State games in a blizzard would be entertaining.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

I don't think simply by playing we are prioritizing football over safety. We are all spending millions on player safety.

I do question having fans in the stadium but that shouldn't hurt the players.

I hope the PAC 12 starts up at some point, even if it is November or something. Those Washington State games in a blizzard would be entertaining.

Wazzu loses its moxie without Mike leach. Actually the whole conference does

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’ve known one person who’s tested positive for the Covid. This was about a month ago. He said contact tracing was a joke, at least in his case in MN. I’m not sure if they asked him the questions on who he’s seen or if he gave them a list of who he’s been around. Sounded like they just asked him and all of his answers were “no i haven’t seen them”

It sure as hell doesn’t sound like it’s going the way you, I, or anyone else envisioned it would go

Your post made me think of Contract Tracing in 2020 America as basically a Cheech & Chong sketch.  

"We think Dave may contracted the Covid-19 virus and possible exposed you.  May we test you?"

"Who?  Dave?  Nah man, Dave's not here."  

Disconcerting that we had an almost 6% positivity rate among students at the game. 

43 minutes ago, pops said:

if only Waco was as strict with rape as they are with the rona. 

50 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Does "local government guidelines" mean county or city officials in Waco have implemented this plan?   If so I guess all of Baylor's games this year will be on the road.

This new narrative is funny.  The Big 10 didn't wait on jack shit.  They cancelled their season on August 11.  There is one conference that didn't overreact and cancel early, yet also didn't damn the torpedo's and play Labor Day weekend like everyone thought they would.  They waited a few weeks see how the NFL and other conferences would do before starting.  But no one can give them credit for that, because they are the redneck villains.  But we can act like the Big 10's plan was soooo smart.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

what is the "inability to test" mean?  i don't get that.

Yeah, surely the NCAA or Big 12 doesn't say "once you get a positive, you can't test again to double check!"... right? If you're testing 125 players 3 times a week, you're going to get lots of false positives that should be retested, and therefore, lots of false contact tracing quarantines (the merits of which are worthy of discussion itself).

52 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Your post made me think of Contract Tracing in 2020 America as basically a Cheech & Chong sketch.  

"We think Dave may contracted the Covid-19 virus and possible exposed you.  May we test you?"

"Who?  Dave?  Nah man, Dave's not here."  

Disconcerting that we had an almost 6% positivity rate among students at the game. 

Except for the fact that due to testing and not allowing them into the stadium if test was positive those 6% weren't at the game. (Provided you are speaking about UT game it was closer to 8% actually)

I view as positive that these students were caught prior to being allowed to attend.  Given that universities have chosen to allow students on campus and in dorms etc there should be no shock that there will be cases. Ample testing and quarantining upon positive is best case in this situation. Sending positive kids home is worst. Interesting thing is for UT is that ~8% of kids who wanted to go to game tested positive but since June 7th of the 8,157 tests UT has administered to students/faculty/staff on campus only 1.9% have tested positive. Makes you wonder if the higher pos rate is due to the kids that want to go to games being more social etc (thus putting themselves at higher risk of catching CV19).

3 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

The obvious parts of California, I get. But what does Oregon/Washington/Arizona bring to the table during football season that is so different?

The NW teams have some of that tribal support for their schools.  You just don't hear about it much because of a dearth of local talent keeps them out of the headlines.

in arizona the real sport is women.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This new narrative is funny.  The Big 10 didn't wait on jack shit.  They cancelled their season on August 11.  There is one conference that didn't overreact and cancel early, yet also didn't damn the torpedo's and play Labor Day weekend like everyone thought they would.  They waited a few weeks see how the NFL and other conferences would do before starting.  But no one can give them credit for that, because they are the redneck villains.  But we can act like the Big 10's plan was soooo smart.

Stewie doubled down saying they should’ve probably held off a month damn well knowing had the other 3 followed suit..they weren’t waiting for damn rapid testing. Oct 24 was never in their plans if the other 3 jumped off the cliff with them

17 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Except for the fact that due to testing and not allowing them into the stadium if test was positive those 6% weren't at the game. (Provided you are speaking about UT game it was closer to 8% actually)

I view as positive that these students were caught prior to being allowed to attend.  Given that universities have chosen to allow students on campus and in dorms etc there should be no shock that there will be cases. Ample testing and quarantining upon positive is best case in this situation. Sending positive kids home is worst. Interesting thing is for UT is that ~8% of kids who wanted to go to game tested positive but since June 7th of the 8,157 tests UT has administered to students/faculty/staff on campus only 1.9% have tested positive. Makes you wonder if the higher pos rate is due to the kids that want to go to games being more social etc (thus putting themselves at higher risk of catching CV19).

Yes, this is what I speculated last week when the news came out, and it is absolutely my assumption that this is true.

The types of kids that are willing to go mingle with 25,000 other people in a stadium, are the ones that are going to be more social anyway, and are more likely to have crossed paths with other positive cases.

Edited by utee94

27 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

This just defies logic

I still do not understand who/what was actually responsible for the game to be postponed.   "Local government officials" would appear to be city or county officials and their contact tracing guidelines.  This kind of crap could affect the whole Big XII.  It doesn't appear to be a Big XII guideline that cause the postponement.  If it is a Waco thing games should not be scheduled to be played there because it seems an impossible hill to climb.

Mandel is a chickenshit hack.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

This just defies logic  (Baylor vs Houston cancellation)

The logic is this.  

"We can cancel whatever we want, whenever we feel like it.  We don't need a reason.  You will accept the "New Normal" or we'll keep cancelling things for as long as we feel like it.  Might be months.  Might be years.  Covid-20, Covid-21, Covid-22 are ready to go, if needed."

This will continue until individual communities reject the New Normal.    

Edited by Monster
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 8

42 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

This just defies logic

Someone else brought it up earlier, but what do they mean by contract tracing and what authority is enforcing it? I’m assuming they’re meaning that a player who’s been exposed to another person who tested positive is required to isolate for a certain number of days, which is not what contract tracing means at all but that seems to be how they’re using the term. 

I’ve definitely talked to friends who had a doctor tell them to isolate for 14 days after exposure, regardless of whether they test negative, but I don’t think I’ve seen or heard that be strictly enforced by a jurisdictional authority. 

16 minutes ago, Monster said:

The logic is this.  

"We can cancel whatever we want, whenever we feel like it.  We don't need a reason.  You will accept the "New Normal" or we'll keep cancelling things for as long as we feel like it.  Might be months.  Might be years.  Covid-20, Covid-21, Covid-22 are ready to go, if needed."

Is this you?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

His twitter profile picture makes me want to split his head open with a sand wedge.  

33 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

I still do not understand who/what was actually responsible for the game to be postponed.   "Local government officials" would appear to be city or county officials and their contact tracing guidelines.  This kind of crap could affect the whole Big XII.  It doesn't appear to be a Big XII guideline that cause the postponement.  If it is a Waco thing games should not be scheduled to be played there because it seems an impossible hill to climb.

I have no idea why it's being reported as local government officials because the Big 12 rules require 14 days quarantines after exposure (Lincoln Riley has been complaining about it this week). 

2 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

I have no idea why it's being reported as local government officials because the Big 12 rules require 14 days quarantines after exposure (Lincoln Riley has been complaining about it this week). 

This is what it was.  Seems it was the Big XII rules that cancelled the game.   A Baylor trainer is the one who tested positive, and they were the trainer that works specifically with OL, DL, and LB’s, meaning all of those kids would have to quarantine since they contact traced to that trainer.   Never mind that they have been tested all week and are negative.   

they fell below the conference threshold for competitively fielding a team, even though the players haven’t tested positive.   Unreal 

• Hook 'Em 2

How do you let close contact happen to the point where it could wipe out a position group?  Its defined as:

NCAA guidelines say that players who have been in contact with individuals who test positive for 15 minutes without face coverings are deemed to have been in "high-risk" contact. Those individuals are required to quarantine for 14 days. Players who test positive must sit out for 10 days and be symptom-free for three days.

You know Nick Saban has someone in charge of making sure no two players are close together without masks for longer than 14 minutes and 59 seconds.  You rotate guys around.  Do this drill with masks with these guys, this drill without masks, etc.  then do it with a different group.  And when in doubt, you lie about how much close contact you had outside of the football facility.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Monster said:

The logic is this.  

This may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on here or shaggy, and your horrible copy/paste job is the icing on the cake. Bravo.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

This is what it was.  Seems it was the Big XII rules that cancelled the game.   A Baylor trainer is the one who tested positive, and they were the trainer that works specifically with OL, DL, and LB’s, meaning all of those kids would have to quarantine since they contact traced to that trainer.   Never mind that they have been tested all week and are negative.   

they fell below the conference threshold for competitively fielding a team, even though the players haven’t tested positive.   Unreal 

Thanks for the explanation. Can we go ahead and ducking fix this?  Before conference play?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

You are fine with your 70 year old parents going to a restaurant? That is a shocking statement. The evidence that restaurants are a key component to the spread of Covid-19 is overwhelming.

Are you positive? Nashville just got caught hiding the facts about cases in restaurants there. Seems to me that there is a ton of bullshit from both sides floating around out there.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4