College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

13 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Are you positive? Nashville just got caught hiding the facts about cases in restaurants there. Seems to me that there is a ton of bullshit from both sides floating around out there.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/937430?src=soc_tw_share

This article: https://www.thedailybeast.com/fauci-says-bars-and-restaurants-should-remain-closed?via=newsletter

"Fauci referenced a study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that found people who tested positive for COVID-19 were nearly twice as likely to have dined at a restaurant in the two weeks before coming down with the virus."

Here is the study: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6936a5.htm?s_cid=mm6936a5_x

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I wanted to ignore this so bad but I can’t. This is insulting. Just because we’re in flyover country doesn’t me there isn’t anything to do. It reeks of East/West coast snobbery. Now that it’s off my chest, I’ll go back to enjoying your posts on the boat threads, etc. 👍

I stand corrected.  Lots to do.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Quoting  The Daily Beast is a good way to signal you consume terrible news content. 

It was the quickest link I found to the CDC study and the Fauci quote. The CDC link is from Trump's government...is that not sufficient for you? 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

You are fine with your 70 year old parents going to a restaurant? That is a shocking statement. The evidence that restaurants are a key component to the spread of Covid-19 is overwhelming. 

This is where we are in our country. This is why college football is in shambles, and why so many games will have to be cancelled/postponed.

So many of you don't value evidence and facts. And when people don't value evidence and facts, there is no evidence and facts you can present to them to convince them to value evidence and facts.

South Korea values evidence and facts. South Korea listens to the advice of scientists. South Korea followed the pandemic playbook that was invented in the US.

The leadership in Texas doesn't follow the advice of scientists.  

South Korea's population = 52 million. They have 377 dead from Covid-19.

Texas has a population of 29 million. Texas has almost 15,000 dead.

When Texas/OU gets cancelled, remember, this is why.

Why do you think people dying is going to make them start cancelling games? People dying didn’t prevent the season from starting in the first place....

10 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

It was the quickest link I found to the CDC study and the Fauci quote. The CDC link is from Trump's government...is that not sufficient for you? 

You’re arguing with someone who has spent months telling us football > lives. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

33 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

This article: https://www.thedailybeast.com/fauci-says-bars-and-restaurants-should-remain-closed?via=newsletter

"Fauci referenced a study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that found people who tested positive for COVID-19 were nearly twice as likely to have dined at a restaurant in the two weeks before coming down with the virus."

Here is the study: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6936a5.htm?s_cid=mm6936a5_x

Correlation/Causation and what have you.   Doesn’t mean they got it from the restaurant, breh.  See above related to Nashville’s bullshit 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You’re arguing with someone who has spent months telling us football > lives. 

And your regarded ass has been adamant that people get rona only at restaurants/bars, football practice, and with businesses open.  Take your chickenshit sky falling ass to your tornado shelter 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Monster said:

The logic is this.  

"We can cancel whatever we want, whenever we feel like it.  We don't need a reason.  You will accept the "New Normal" or we'll keep cancelling things for as long as we feel like it.  Might be months.  Might be years.  Covid-20, Covid-21, Covid-22 are ready to go, if needed."

This will continue until individual communities reject the New Normal.    

Or until we get our vaccines in a few months. But you do you.

Edited by Valmy77

You are fine with your 70 year old parents going to a restaurant? That is a shocking statement. The evidence that restaurants are a key component to the spread of Covid-19 is overwhelming. 
This is where we are in our country. This is why college football is in shambles, and why so many games will have to be cancelled/postponed.
So many of you don't value evidence and facts. And when people don't value evidence and facts, there is no evidence and facts you can present to them to convince them to value evidence and facts.

South Korea values evidence and facts. South Korea listens to the advice of scientists. South Korea followed the pandemic playbook that was invented in the US.
The leadership in Texas doesn't follow the advice of scientists.  

South Korea's population = 52 million. They have 377 dead from Covid-19.
Texas has a population of 29 million. Texas has almost 15,000 dead.

When Texas/OU gets cancelled, remember, this is why.

But what if it doesn’t get canceled?
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Concerning the spread of CV-19, I would be more comfortable letting this player cough in my 70+ year old parents faces than them going out to dinner at a restaurant.  And I don't have a problem with them going out to a restaurant.  

Damn....your parents sound like they're pretty rich

Edited by Blotto

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Are you positive? Nashville just got caught hiding the facts about cases in restaurants there. Seems to me that there is a ton of bullshit from both sides floating around out there.

There is so much more bullshit coming from the anti-masker science deniers, and it’s not even close.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JFKFC said:

This is what you call overwhelming evidence?

13 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

There really should be no debate.

Wear a fucking mask people!

Am I doing this right?

It depends on what the goal is. Sweden says no, except for the most at risk. Number of cases is not the issue, death and serious illness is the point. That is relatively rare in those under 45. But we need to do either one or the other, either all in or all out. Personally, I  favor the herd immunity approach since we have no vaccine yet. Cratering the economy has it's own consequences including loss of health insurance for many, and therefore inability to treat the rest of pathological illnesses that affect us. This is not a slam dunk "settled science" debate, again it depends upon the goal. Sweden has a lower death rate than the US. Fauci and WHO were telling all not to use masks a couple months ago. Its not straightforward.

Flame on.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.14.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.14.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.14.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.14.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.14.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.13.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.13.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.13.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.12.27 PM.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, El Squared said:

It depends on what the goal is. Sweden says no, except for the most at risk. Number of cases is not the issue, death and serious illness is the point. That is relatively rare in those under 45. But we need to do either one or the other, either all in or all out. Personally, I  favor the herd immunity approach since we have no vaccine yet. Cratering the economy has it's own consequences including loss of health insurance for many, and therefore inability to treat the rest of pathological illnesses that affect us. This is not a slam dunk "settled science" debate, again it depends upon the goal. Sweden has a lower death rate than the US. Fauci and WHO were telling all not to use masks a couple months ago. Its not straightforward.

Flame on.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.14.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.14.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.14.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.14.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.14.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.13.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.13.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.13.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 10.12.27 PM.png

You are far from alone in your thoughts.  We are 2 years away from knowing what CV-19 is really all about.   A lot of people are really going to be surprised when the virus is finally mitigated and hard full cycle data is captured.  Everybody has a pretty strong opinion and there are only four "camps" to fall in with two making up 85% of the field.

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

My point is that it’s hard to know what is and isn’t bullshit on either side. So much has changed since the start of all of this. 

The wearing of a mask is a lot different than measuring the overall effect of a mask mandate on a large population. 

Which is different from Why don't they just test all the players the morning of the game?

This is grasping at anything (like many of my posts in this thread) but after today the ACC will have successfully played 8 of their 9 scheduled conference games. The Big 12 and SEC get going with conference play next week so we'll see how that goes. But so far all the postponements besides Va Tech-UVA have involved at least one non-P5 school. Those were the ones we all knew would have trouble testing and bubbling.

(I know a handful of the postponements were due to COVID at P5)

You are far from alone in your thoughts.  We are 2 years away from knowing what CV-19 is really all about.   A lot of people are really going to be surprised when the virus is finally mitigated and hard full cycle data is captured.  Everybody has a pretty strong opinion and there are only four "camps" to fall in with two making up 85% of the field.
Yeah, we won't really know what truly happened until we thoroughly investigate the anonymous comments on news articles!
  • Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
7 hours ago, DenverHorn said:

Read more  

Yeah, we won't really know what truly happened until we thoroughly investigate the anonymous comments on news articles!

Don’t forget mining fake Facebook accounts. Always critical pieces of data. 

22 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I hear this all the time, and honestly it's complete and utter bullshit (no disrespect intended your way, cause you're a great poster).

I live in a place that 99% of the American populace would classify as Butt Fuckin' Nowhere.  If there wasn't football, I'd fall back on the plethora of hobbies that I hardly have time for as it is like mountain biking, road biking, kayaking, hiking, beer making, etc.  I can go to world class breweries within 20 miles of my house.  Prior to COVID it wasn't hard to find live music, theatre, or interesting lectures at the nearby college.  This isn't unique to me, either.  I could start pulling examples from all over the Big 12, Big 10, and SEC of places that offer a lot of diversions.  Sure, it's not the west coast, but what good is having so many entertainment options that you could never cash in on it?

The football things truly is a cultural difference between these parts of the country.  In the South and the Midwest, people just care more about football than they do on the coasts, and it's not really due to a lack of options.  It's something that people grow up with, and it comes to represent their homes.  Their homes that are frequently denigrated by people from the coasts.  It does foster an intense pride.  You also have the massive influx of people from other parts of the country on the coasts, which means a lot of the people in LA (for example) have no reason to be invested in USC or UCLA.  You see less of that in the Midwest and South.

This shit right here ^

No offense @Sbbruin because I like you man, but you’re crazy if you think it has anything to do with having so much better shit to do than the rest of the country.  Keep fuckin that chicken.

No CR but the left coast is the biggest bunch of “fart and point at the dog” group of people I’ve ever known.  And I say that coming from a bit of a place of authority.  My wife is from the Bay Area, my best friend lives in Seattle, and 2 of my best friends live in SoCal.

The reason PAC fans aren’t that into football is simply cultural.  With USC’s cheating ass being the outlier (almost along the lines of an SMU), the PAC has sucked for soooooo many years that, by and large, the culture is just not to give that much of a shit.  Because again, the culture on the left coast is, when things don’t go our way, we’ll just change the narrative to fit our agenda.

entitlement...how does it work

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

It's amazing that we still have hillbillies that don't think masks help, despite mountains of evidence that they do. They're even on here, a place that skews more educated and intelligent than average. Just amazing. We live in idiot world.

No dude we have to consider both sides. I mean, our knowledge of a brand new virus has changed so much in 6 months but you see, science is what it is and should never change so we can’t say FOR SURE masks work.  /Tex Pete

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

This shit right here ^

No offense @Sbbruin because I like you man, but you’re crazy if you think it has anything to do with having so much better shit to do than the rest of the country.  Keep fuckin that chicken.

No CR but the left coast is the biggest bunch of “fart and point at the dog” group of people I’ve ever known.  And I say that coming from a bit of a place of authority.  My wife is from the Bay Area, my best friend lives in Seattle, and 2 of my best friends live in SoCal.

The reason PAC fans aren’t that into football is simply cultural.  With USC’s cheating ass being the outlier (almost along the lines of an SMU), the PAC has sucked for soooooo many years that, by and large, the culture is just not to give that much of a shit.  Because again, the culture on the left coast is, when things don’t go our way, we’ll just change the narrative to fit our agenda.

Spoken like a true Midwestern Billy Badass. And you can't have multiple best friends, dude, this isn't middle school. Pick one

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Before you call everyone an idiot for disagreeing with your viewpoints, you should do a little research, on the “overwhelming science”.
Masks are useful for some situations to help prevent spread of the disease, if that’s the goal. There is also the “overwhelming science” of herd immunity, which has helped in control and even elimination of serious viral illnesses.
Are you a “herd immunity denier?” Or “anti-herder”. Ad hominem attacks don’t strengthen your position.
There have been examples of successful strategies utilizing strict lockdown controls ( New Zealand, South Korea) and full opposite , (Sweden, South Dakota.) The best strategy will likely take a lot of time to unravel.
Using masks around susceptible/ vulnerable populations appears to be useful, but allowing the development of herd immunity in the rest of the population also can control the disease.  
I wish people who use “science “in their arguments would use all science, not just those elements that serve their position or allow them to attack opposing views.

Sounds like something that someone who doesn’t listen to the science would say.
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Apparently we already have Exhibit A of my post ^

I was just joking with you sweetheart. You can have as many best friends as you want. Hell next time you're out in Cali, I'll buy you a beer and we can be best friends too. I have family in Pittsburgh, I love it and there's a shit ton to do there, that counts as Midwest right? Also, further validating your post, my dad (California fart sniffer) is having a huge problem with college football now that USC and Stanford suck and Texas is good. 

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

This shit right here ^

Well, I definitely fart and blame it on my dog.  So you got me there.

• Like 1