College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

This is one the stupidest things I've seen posted. It truly is impressive.

No, it's not.  Social distancing and wearing masks were to "flatten the curve", nothing else.  That means nobody really avoids it, but rather everybody doesn't get it at once.  There will still be the same number of cases, but the that total will accrue over a longer period of time.  Wikipedia has a moving graph that will make my post look less stupid.  Just make sure you and BradinATX hold hands while crossing the internet to go look at it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Cornfusion said:

No, it's not.  Social distancing and wearing masks were to "flatten the curve", nothing else.  That means nobody really avoids it, but rather everybody doesn't get it at once.  There will still be the same number of cases, but the that total will accrue over a longer period of time.  Wikipedia has a moving graph that will make my post look less stupid.  Just make sure you and BradinATX hold hands while crossing the internet to go look at it.

wow...it got even stupider.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

So masks can help people "not get it all at once" but they don't do anything to prevent you from inevitably eventually getting it? Everyone who was going to get it earlier will still get it down the road because science? Seriously, take two seconds to think about the "logic" that you are trying to argue here.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

You are really fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Cornfusion said:

Listen, you are going to believe what you believe. I can show all the science you want illustrating how mask prevent the spread of viruses

https://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

The preponderance of evidence indicates that mask wearing reduces the transmissibility per contact by reducing transmission of infected droplets in both laboratory and clinical contexts

This study about numbers of droplets with mask v without mask

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2007800

This study cold and flu spread with masks 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2#Sec3

Our findings indicate that surgical masks can efficaciously reduce the emission of influenza virus particles into the environment in respiratory droplets, but not in aerosols12

This study looked at US mask mandates

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818

The study provides evidence that US states mandating the use of face masks in public had a greater decline in daily COVID-19 growth rates after issuing these mandates compared with states that did not issue mandates.

But you're not going to believe it because you're too stupid to evaluate new information that conflicts with your beliefs. Therefore, I'm going to put you on ignore. Have a great day. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

spacer.png

I stumbled back into this thread and just witnessed the “logic” of confusion. Dude, I mean this with all due respect but anyone who scrolls through your posts immediately sees the incredible stupidity of your posts.

They are so dumb, you even contradict yourself. But it’s not even worth engaging you on it because it’s doubtful that the person that typed those posts could even understand why they were so dumb.

Your best bet is to slink off and pray that your posts get buried in the daily traffic of surly never to be seen again.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

Or, you know, give time for a vaccine and best medical practices to improve so even sick people don't die in the hospital.    

is anyone saying that wearing mask will prevent you from breathing in the virus (correctly worn N95 mask excluded) ?  JFC, mask are to slow the spread of YOUR germs to the outside world.  If a sick person wears a mask, there is a greater chance that they don't spread it.  If they don't wear a mask, then the opposite is true.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Don't forget about the state of California telling everyone to stay inside their homes because masks don't prevent you from breathing in smoke.  Smoke particles are much larger than COVID.   

Because smoke is everywhere, enough to significantly reduce the air quality. If COVID particles were as densely propogated as smoke, we'd all be fucked. But they're not...in no small part because people in public are wearing masks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, aggie08 said:

Because smoke is everywhere, enough to significantly reduce the air quality. If COVID particles were as densely propogated as smoke, we'd all be fucked. But they're not...in no small part because people in public are wearing masks.

I'm well aware of that.  I'm speaking to the irony of how emphatic they are about their shutdown/re-opening metrics for their schools/businesses/sports/etc.  But that's another topic.  

Or, you know, give time for a vaccine and best medical practices to improve so even sick people don't die in the hospital. 

If you want to wear a mask, be my guest.  If you want to stay home, knock yourself out.  If you want to be six feet away from everybody else, go for it.  This is America, nobody should take those choices away from you.  Agreed?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

Therefore, I'm going to put you on ignore. Have a great day. 

Boy, that hurts.  It's like being nuked...only without the bright blinding flash...or the incredible heat...and without the devastating blast of wind...and with no lethal radiation.  But otherwise, just like being nuked with no visible signs. (other than your public, drama queen announcement)

Edited by Cornfusion
added more shit talk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

52 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

If you want to wear a mask, be my guest.  If you want to stay home, knock yourself out.  If you want to be six feet away from everybody else, go for it.  This is America, nobody should take those choices away from you.  Agreed?

So, you don't give a shit about other people.  Got it. 

Yes, in America you absolutely have a right to be a selfish, inconsiderate bastard.  Yay you!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

So, you don't give a shit about other people.  Got it. 

Yes, in America you absolutely have a right to be a selfish, inconsiderate bastard.  Yay you!

You don't need my acquiescence to social distancing to stay safe, do you?  You can stay in your house, wear your mask and stay six feet away from me all on your own, right?  You can protect yourself even if I don't give a shit about other people and am a selfish, inconsiderate bastard, am I correct?

I was waiting for the inevitable "The world would be a paradise if you would just care enough like I do!" post.  You delivered, so I am going to give you a "Hookem Horns" for showing up on cue.  Treasure it!

Edited by Cornfusion
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

First off, please provide the science showing which serious viral illnesses that herd immunity has helped control or even eliminate without a vaccine. And when I say serious viral illness, I mean those which can cause death, not chickenpox.  There are two ways to achieve herd immunity. a large proportion of the population either gets infected or gets a protective vaccine. Since we don't have a vaccine, I'm assuming you mean let everyone under 60 get infected, is this correct?
Since every person who touts herd immunity brings up Sweden, they actually haven't really looked at what Sweden did and the actual results. 
Sweden had a lockdown. It wasn't as severe as some countries, but it did. Sweden closed universities, schools with pupils 15 and older, and anyone over 70 had to self-isolate. They also banned gathering larger than 50. This did not save the economy as you might propose. The economy is expected to contract by 4.5%
The death rate was enormous compares to neighboring countries. Sweden's death per million is 580.64. It's neighbors Norway (49.07), Finland (61.18), and Denmark (109.6) had significantly lower deaths. Everyone sees the 5,864 deaths in Sweden and think that's a low number, but you have to consider the 10.23 million population. 
But don't worry, if you haven't noticed, the US is pretty much doing the Sweden model right now. Old people are staying home, no crowds over 50 besides political rallies and churches, and biker rallies, and universities and schools are somewhat closes and somewhat open. And guess what else, we have a shit ton of deaths. Currently around 204,126 with no signs of stopping. But since there are a lot of people, it's going to take a lot more deaths and a lot more spread before we reach the 70% of the population needed to reach herd immunity. 

It helped in the bubonic plague
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

and there it is.  nothing more than a fucking entitled attitude.  Fuck common sense, fuck other people because... well because you know the right thing to do, but it's too hard to throw a mask on and since only 15% of your fellow residents wear one, your self confidence is too low to for fear of getting called out by a patriot.  Follow the rule of law for thee for not for me.  Is that the America you subscribe to?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Just curious, what percentage of people do you see wearing a mask out in public where you currently reside?  Here, it's about 15%.  Probably more in Omaha or Lincoln, Nebraska, but maybe less in smaller towns. 

Outside? 2-5%. Indoors at the grocery, target or my local Home Depot? 99%. Required tho there
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

You don't need my acquiescence to social distancing to stay safe, do you?  You can stay in your house, wear your mask and stay six feet away from me all on your own, right?  You can protect yourself even if I don't give a shit about other people and am a selfish, inconsiderate bastard, am I correct?

I was waiting for the inevitable "The world would be a paradise if you would just care enough like I do!" post.  You delivered, so I am going to give you a "Hookem Horns" for showing up on cue.  Treasure it!

Never said anything like that.  And good for you to bring out the same logic used by anti-vaxxers... "If you're vaccinated, why are you worried about whether or not I am?"

F'n brilliant.

and there it is.  nothing more than a fucking entitled attitude.  Fuck common sense, fuck other people because... well because you know the right thing to do, but it's too hard to throw a mask on and since only 15% of your fellow residents wear one, your self confidence is too low to for fear of getting called out by a patriot.  Follow the rule of law for thee for not for me.  Is that the America you subscribe to?

What I am seeing is that mask mandates are like gun control laws.  No correlation between enacting them and a drop in the problems they are supposed to address.  I also see
Snowflakes  coming out with their self induced outrage saying that if I don't support both then somehow I must not care that people are dying. You give no pause to consider why there seems to be no connecttion in the real world between mandated social distancing and mask usage and the number of cases.  It's all about feelings with you.

Edited by Cornfusion
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 13

What I am seeing is that mask mandates are like gun control laws.  No correlation between enacting them and a drop in the problems they are supposed to address.  I also see
Snowflakes  coming out with their self induced outrage saying that if I don't support both then somehow I must not care that people are dying. You give no pause to consider why there seems to be no connecttion in the real world between mandated social distancing and mask usage and the number of cases.  It's all about feelings with you.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

Never said anything like that.  And good for you to bring out the same logic used by anti-vaxxers... "If you're vaccinated, why are you worried about whether or not I am?"

F'n brilliant.

So what IS your answer to such logic?

Imagine conflating gun rights with a mask law during pandemic

If we’re ever in a nuclear holocaust please don’t wear a mask, k?

4 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

No correlation between enacting them and a drop in the problems they are supposed to address.

Except this is not true whatsoever. Here is something I posted earlier in the thread. Again, there is scientific evidence that masks reduce the spread. 

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818

The study provides evidence that US states mandating the use of face masks in public had a greater decline in daily COVID-19 growth rates after issuing these mandates compared with states that did not issue mandates. These effects were observed conditional on other existing social distancing measures and were independent of the CDC recommendation to wear face covers issued April 3, 2020. As international and state governments begin to relax social distancing restrictions, and considering the high likelihood of a second COVID-19 wave in the fall and winter of 2020,30 requiring the use of face masks in public could help in reducing COVID-19 spread.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just curious, what percentage of people do you see wearing a mask out in public where you currently reside?  Here, it's about 15%.  Probably more in Omaha or Lincoln, Nebraska, but maybe less in smaller towns. 

It's not at all surprising that whatever shithole Nebraska town you live in is full of stupid, selfish people.

3 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

so again you know better than everyone else, so fuck the law when it pertains to something you don't want to do  got it.  and dude, this about your feelings and how wearing a mask is such burden and how you just don't want to!  I get it, no one likes wearing a mask.  but most people aren't pussies and just do it.

So no correlation between masks and slowing the spread of the virus?  Again, put on a mask and try to blow out a candle.  I don't think you are this dumb.  I just think you are afraid your non-mask wearing friends will make fun of you and hurt your feelings.

• Hook 'Em 1

He is not going to read or digest any of that. You know that. He is not interested in learning or actually understanding. Look how fast he switched from his stupid "masks aren't 100% effective so wearing them is pointless" drivel to the "muh freedom!" argument. There is no intellectual curiosity or honesty there.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

It's more like fencing in 75% of your pasture.  It doesn't keep the cattle in, it just takes longer for them to finally get out.  Nobody is going to NOT come into contact with the coronavirus by wearing a mask, it just might put it off until later.  Hence, the oft forgotten phrase, "Flattening the curve".

An idiot like me shouldn't have to school you geniuses.  I was wearing masks and respirators long before you became an expert on them by reading the internet.

No that analogy is just wrong.  it’s more like fencing your pasture with 3 rail vs a 12 foot high solid stone wall topped with razor wire.  Will the 3 rail keep your cattle in 100% of the time?  Maybe not, but it’s a hell of a lot better than no fence.  That seems to be what you keep missing.  You think unless you’re wearing a full blown haz mat uniform (the solid stone wall), then you might as well just go with no fence at all because the cattle are getting out one way or another, which simply isn’t true.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

The study provides evidence that US states mandating the use of face masks in public had a greater decline in daily COVID-19 growth rates after issuing these mandates compared with states that did not issue mandates.

I'll see your study and raise you real life statistics:

Nebraska is one of the laxest states when it comes to coronavirus mandates and ranks 39th in deaths PER CAPITA.  New York and New Jersey are some of the strictest and they are slightly higher than 39th.  Please tell me how that could possibly be in your world.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 8

No that analogy is just wrong

I've worn dust masks, surgical masks, and respirators day in and day out for various jobs.  In fact, I quit one when the prohibited wearing masks because OSHA required a physical to check blood oxygen and lung capacity for any employee who wore a mask regularly and they weren't going to spring for them.  Since air gets out through the sides of a surgical mask, that's an opening...like no fence being up.  Light up a cigarette, take a deep drag, put up your mask and blow it out hard.  Report back what you saw in the mirror.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

This fucking thread is just the worst. It is also sadly, a perfect representation of our current reality. Mask-mandate/lockdown types calling everyone who disagrees with them "stupid" or "hillbillies?" Check. Anti-maskers crying about their freedoms with a "you do you" attitude? Check. Internet Researchers cherry-picking articles to support whatever the fuck they believe? Check. 

The sad reality is, the only time I find myself feeling remotely normal these days is when I am watching a football game for a few hours. The NFL has been a fucking godsend, and so far, they appear to be doing a good job with the COVID situation. There have been no reports of spikes of infections from the games that have allowed crowds. Kansas City announced 1 fan out of the 15,000 or so at the opener tested positive. College Football is working so far, though the games have been crap. Don't worry though, the SEC is here now to save us. 

Edited by Sejjr
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1