College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

I'll see your study and raise you real life statistics: Nebraska is one of the laxest states when it comes to coronavirus mandates and ranks 39th in deaths PER CAPITA.  New York and New Jersey are some of the strictest and they are slightly higher than 39th.  Please tell me how that could possibly be in your world.[/Quote] 

"I'll see your data and research and science and raise you two anecdotal data points that I've completely misinterpreted. Owned, science boy!"

Idiot world. Brawndo for everyone.

2 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

I'll see your study and raise you real life statistics:

Nebraska is one of the laxest states when it comes to coronavirus mandates and ranks 39th in deaths PER CAPITA.  New York and New Jersey are some of the strictest and they are slightly higher than 39th.  Please tell me how that could possibly be in your world.

You can't honestly be that dumb. To answer your last sentence: population density + timing of when infection became widely community spread (if you still don't get it, timing matters because diagnosing and treating progressed rapidly). I mean literally everyone else would understand that immediately.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

Just real world experience with masks and respirators.  But go on, tell us all you know.

Wife is a real world doctor (Stanford MD) who has worked a wee bit more with masks, respirators, and viruses than you have . Perhaps you'd like her to explain to you why your arguments suck?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

I've worn dust masks, surgical masks, and respirators day in and day out for various jobs.  In fact, I quit one when the prohibited wearing masks because OSHA required a physical to check blood oxygen and lung capacity for any employee who wore a mask regularly and they weren't going to spring for them.  Since air gets out through the sides of a surgical mask, that's an opening...like no fence being up.  Light up a cigarette, take a deep drag, put up your mask and blow it out hard.  Report back what you saw in the mirror.

Because we all walk around exhaling like we are blowing out cigarette smoke. I can understand that’s your natural mouth position. NTTAWWT

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 4:09 PM, Tex Pete said:

Are you positive? Nashville just got caught hiding the facts about cases in restaurants there. Seems to me that there is a ton of bullshit from both sides floating around out there.

Didn’t this story turn out to be wildly misleading but was spread by the likes of Clay Travis, Ben Shapiro and Fox News and you bought it hook, line and sinker? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Didn’t this story turn out to be wildly misleading but was spread by the likes of Clay Travis, Ben Shapiro and Fox News and you bought it hook, line and sinker? 

I live in Nashville, so I'm pretty well-informed with what happened. This whole thing is essentially the same thing that happened with the CDC story that went viral a few weeks ago. The one where many headlines read "CDC just quietly updated their statistics..." when in reality those statistics had been publicly available for months. In this Nashville story, the local Fox affiliate ran a story last week showing emails between the Mayor's office and the Health Department from earlier this summer in which they discussed hiding data that proved local bars and restaurants were NOT responsible for a significant number of COVID cases. This obviously upset the hundreds (maybe thousands) of restaurant/bar owners that still aren't allowed to open to full capacity, and it caused the story to go national. Well, the problem with the local Fox story is that the Mayor's office did end up releasing that data a few days after those emails earlier this summer. So, the data that the local Fox station shared is real, and the emails about hiding that data were real, but the fact that the data is still currently being hidden is the part that was incorrect. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, TexasPride10 said:

I live in Nashville, so I'm pretty well-informed with what happened. This whole thing is essentially the same thing that happened with the CDC story that went viral a few weeks ago. The one where many headlines read "CDC just quietly updated their statistics..." when in reality those statistics had been publicly available for months. In this Nashville story, the local Fox affiliate ran a story last week showing emails between the Mayor's office and the Health Department from earlier this summer in which they discussed hiding data that proved local bars and restaurants were NOT responsible for a significant number of COVID cases. This obviously upset the hundreds (maybe thousands) of restaurant/bar owners that still aren't allowed to open to full capacity, and it caused the story to go national. Well, the problem with the local Fox story is that the Mayor's office did end up releasing that data a few days after those emails earlier this summer. So, the data that the local Fox station shared is real, and the emails about hiding that data were real, but the fact that the data is still currently being hidden is the part that was incorrect. 

None of that feels like a fair and evenhanded "scientific" approach to the problem.  If you have emails saying lets hide the data it's not a super big leap to think- maybe they would manipulate the data.  

It seems pretty obvious to me that bars/restaurants would be a potential way for this thing to spread, but I'd also say the same of Walmart and HEB/Kroger or anywhere else where I'm inside and a bunch of other people are too.  Sometimes, what seems obvious isn't necessarily the case so we rely on data to confirm if our gut feeling suspicions are correct. If people are talking about hiding data they should be run out on a rail. Bad faith actors. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

None of that feels like a fair and evenhanded "scientific" approach to the problem.  If you have emails saying lets hide the data it's not a super big leap to think- maybe they would manipulate the data.  

It seems pretty obvious to me that bars/restaurants would be a potential way for this thing to spread, but I'd also say the same of Walmart and HEB/Kroger or anywhere else where I'm inside and a bunch of other people are too.  Sometimes, what seems obvious isn't necessarily the case so we rely on data to confirm if our gut feeling suspicions are correct. If people are talking about hiding data they should be run out on a rail. Bad faith actors. 

Grocery stores are usually very large with high ceilings, people are moving around mostly, not socializing, and just getting what they need and leaving. In bars and restaurants people are usually in smaller areas, they are there to socialize and stay for an hour or sometimes much longer. Also groceries are essential, draft beer and chicken wings aren’t. The part I don’t get is treating bars and restaurants differently. They should be subject to the same rules and limitations.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Grocery stores are usually very large with high ceilings, people are moving around mostly, not socializing, and just getting what they need and leaving. In bars and restaurants people are usually in smaller areas, they are there to socialize and stay for an hour or sometimes much longer. Also groceries are essential, draft beer and chicken wings aren’t. The part I don’t get is treating bars and restaurants differently. They should be subject to the same rules and limitations.

Sure they are different. But I’ve always sort of figured the problem with being inside is recirculated air all around you, meaning even if you socially distance you aren’t really socially distancing because of that factor. 
And I’m not saying that bars should be treated as stores because of the difference in essential nature of one versus inessential nature of the other. But good lord, we have to be able to trust that data being relayed is accurate. 

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You sir can go walk into oncoming traffic for that sort of commentary.

• Hook 'Em 3

I only clicked on the last page of this thread, so please forgive me if I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but if I want to watch a game in person, while wearing a mask, and making sure to socially distance myself from everyone else who is voluntarily there, I'm an asshole?

1 hour ago, Assman said:

I only clicked on the last page of this thread, so please forgive me if I'm interpreting this incorrectly, but if I want to watch a game in person, while wearing a mask, and making sure to socially distance myself from everyone else who is voluntarily there, I'm an asshole?

Def an assman 

19 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

What I am seeing is that mask mandates are like gun control laws.  No correlation between enacting them and a drop in the problems they are supposed to address.  

It is almost impossible to be more provably and mathematically wrong about 2 points than you are with this statement. I know this would be a big left-turn from the point of this thread, so feel free to reach out to me if you would like this evidence backing up my statement. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

I'll see your study and raise you real life statistics:

Nebraska is one of the laxest states when it comes to coronavirus mandates and ranks 39th in deaths PER CAPITA.  New York and New Jersey are some of the strictest and they are slightly higher than 39th.  Please tell me how that could possibly be in your world.

Before anyone answers you, perhaps you could just spend some time to reflect on any other variables in demographics and population between New York City and Nebraska. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Parts of the story were not true but the part about the city not telling the truth was in fact correct. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Mask talk not going away.  

This should really work out well.  P12 players (should this thing ever get going) will have to quarantine for 21 days.  Yeah, this season should go swimmingly.

I'm hearing that most Pac-12 athletic departments will quarantine players for 20-24 days if they test positive for COVID-19. I've heard it's 21 days for UCLA.

That means if, say, a UCLA player tests positive on a day of a game, and he has to sit out 21 days, he would be unable to play for three games.

Also know that the Pac-12, if it does go ahead with a fall season, will almost certainly institute a minimum amount of scholarship players be available per team, including perhaps a designated amount per some position groups, like other conferences have established.

It's amazing that we still have hillbillies that don't think masks help, despite mountains of evidence that they do. They're even on here, a place that skews more educated and intelligent than average. Just amazing. We live in idiot world.

Not so amazing considering all the conflicting info from Fauci, CDC and WHO and other sources over the past few months..and not just about masks. There are many people with above average education who doubt the effectiveness of masks, dont plan to get vaccinated etc. It has little to do with education, more about distrust in authority/media these days.
  • Hook 'Em 1

This shit right here ^
No offense [mention=1357]Sbbruin[/mention] because I like you man, but you’re crazy if you think it has anything to do with having so much better shit to do than the rest of the country.  Keep fuckin that chicken.
No CR but the left coast is the biggest bunch of “fart and point at the dog” group of people I’ve ever known.  And I say that coming from a bit of a place of authority.  My wife is from the Bay Area, my best friend lives in Seattle, and 2 of my best friends live in SoCal.
The reason PAC fans aren’t that into football is simply cultural.  With USC’s cheating ass being the outlier (almost along the lines of an SMU), the PAC has sucked for soooooo many years that, by and large, the culture is just not to give that much of a shit.  Because again, the culture on the left coast is, when things don’t go our way, we’ll just change the narrative to fit our agenda.
entitlement...how does it work

Lol, at first i was like "wow, thats a broad generalization" then i think about my family and friends in Cali (especially the one that works for Stanford) and...you're right for the most part.

15 minutes ago, ousux said:
On 9/19/2020 at 5:06 AM, BradInATX said:
It's amazing that we still have hillbillies that don't think masks help, despite mountains of evidence that they do. They're even on here, a place that skews more educated and intelligent than average. Just amazing. We live in idiot world.

Not so amazing considering all the conflicting info from Fauci, CDC and WHO and other sources over the past few months..and not just about masks. There are many people with above average education who doubt the effectiveness of masks, dont plan to get vaccinated etc. It has little to do with education, more about distrust in authority/media these days.

This is the whole issue. There are and have been conflicting and faulty reports throughout this whole thing the last 6 months, starting with the shitty, terrifying models, and it has become a partisan issue driven by the media. There are 2 "sides" to everything, and each side thinks the other is a fucking idiot. 

This is the whole issue. There are and have been conflicting and faulty reports throughout this whole thing the last 6 months, starting with the shitty, terrifying models, and it has become a partisan issue driven by the media. There are 2 "sides" to everything, and each side thinks the other is a fucking idiot. 

There are not two sides to the debate as to whether or not masks help slow the spread of Covid. There is the truth, and there are people who ignore the truth for political reasons. Masks are not a "both sides" issue no matter how badly you want them to be so that you can continue to make posts that make you feel like the smartest, most rational guy in the room. They are a science vs. anti-science issue.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

There are not two sides to the debate as to whether or not masks help slow the spread of Covid. There is the truth, and there are people who ignore the truth for political reasons. Masks are not a "both sides" issue no matter how badly you want them to be so that you can continue to make posts that make you feel like the smartest, most rational guy in the room. They are a science vs. anti-science issue.

No one side has exclusive rights to “the science”. One side firmly believes in masks (supporting by scientific data) and a bunch of other beliefs on the virus that are not based on science. If you are going to be judgmental  of the other side because you believe your side is virtuous and supported by science, you need to own all of the other bull shit  not supported by science stuff from your camp. 

Just now, Newy25 said:

No one side has exclusive rights to “the science”. One side firmly believes in masks (supporting by scientific data) and a bunch of other beliefs on the virus that are not based on science. If you are going to be judgmental  of the other side because you believe your side is virtuous and supported by science, you need to own all of the other bull shit  not supported by science stuff from your camp. 

I don't know what "my camp" is but if you want a political debate, I'd suggest the Cloak Room. We are not arguing a multitude of issues here. This is not a "well, I might be an absolute fucking moron because I don't think masks help slow the spread, but you're on the wrong side of (insert whatever political issue you're talking about here) so we're totally the same!".

We are talking about masks. If you want to talk about other issues, there are plenty of Covid threads. FWIW, and I've stated this plenty on those threads, I think that there are a lot of bad decisions being made based on politics, and that it's time to start opening society back up (with masks). The trends in Texas are going the right way, and I think it's time to let people be people again.

But I digress, because you're trying to obfuscate a very clear-cut science vs. anti-science issue by bringing other, political issues into that. Take it to the CR if that's what you want to do.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Parts of the story were not true but the part about the city not telling the truth was in fact correct. 

It was lying by omission and selectively hiding details that provided the building blocks for the so-called conspiracy.

The Fox 17 story was grossly misleading. For one, city officials never hid data about coronavirus spread at bars and restaurants from the public. That's just false — and easily debunkable. The data was disclosed at a July 2nd press conference (which was streamed online and which a city official told me Fox 17 was present for) and to a local reporter, Nate Rau, for an article published August 4th by the Tennessee Lookout.
So how did Fox 17 draw the conclusion that the city was covering up the data? Well, the outlet's story rested on emails between the mayor's office and health department that reporter Dennis Ferrier obtained — emails which Ferrier conceded in his story only "reveal[ed] a partial picture." Nevertheless, Ferrier drew the conclusion that the emails revealed something "disturbing."
Here's what the emails show: After Rau requested data on coronavirus spread at bars and restaurants for his story, a senior advisor for the mayor, Benjamin Eagles, emailed the local health department seeking data to fulfill Rau's request. Fox 17 quoted a health official later saying, "We have certainly refused to give counts per bar because those numbers are low per site."
Sounds nefarious, right? Well it's not when you add the full context. This is the full quote from the health official. And though Fox 17 included an image at the top of its story that did show the full email, it omitted the latter half of this sentence from the body of its original report (emphasis mine): "We have certainly refused to give counts per bar (i.e. # cases per bar cluster) because this numbers are low per site, and there are data standards prohibiting the release of a total count that is less than 10 per small geographic area. We do have 2 bars now where the counts are over 10, but then that would single out those two and not the others. We could still release the total though."

You see, city officials were fine releasing the overall number of people who had contracted coronavirus from bars and restaurants in Nashville. But behind the scenes, in emails the mayor's office tweeted and provided to me, there was a discussion about whether releasing data showing the specific locations where coronavirus spread could present privacy concerns and violate HIPAA.
"I do not see a problem with releasing the number of cases that are due to clusters at bars ... it is just the issue of whether we can or should release the names of the bars," one health official wrote to Eagles. That person added, "Releasing the names of bars or schools especially when there haven't been many cases makes it possible to identify the individual(s) that were positive and HIPPA says you can't provide any information that may help identify an individual."
For some unknown reason, Fox 17 did not include any of this in the text of its initial story. Instead, it ripped select quotes from context and spun a narrative that suggested the emails revealed city officials were hiding the data from the public because it didn't show mass spread...

Nevermind the conspiracy theory getting picked up by cheeseweasel, MNhorn and the rest of the merry band of ostriches and propagated as truth.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I'm not going to respect the opinions of people who get their information from facebook memes and email forwards.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:
On 9/19/2020 at 5:06 AM, BradInATX said:

Read more  

People who do not believe that masks have any positive effect do not have above average intelligence, regardless of their claimed education level.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Last I heard we had 4 players test+.  We also did have a few "unavailable" players last week and started a 3rd string lb.  USF vs our scout team might have been a nailbiter.

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/2020/09/21/catholics-vs-covid-four-notre-dame-players-test-positive/amp/