College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

It was lying by omission and selectively hiding details that provided the building blocks for the so-called conspiracy.

Nevermind the conspiracy theory getting picked up by cheeseweasel, MNhorn and the rest of the merry band of ostriches and propagated as truth.

they could have easily said out x number of bars there have been y number of cases.  maybe they did that?

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

they could have easily said out x number of bars there have been y number of cases.  maybe they did that?

if you read the quoted portion I included, the city could not do that because of the small sample size, making it easy to uniquely identify COVID-positive people without their consent - which is a big HIPAA no-no.

The initial claim of the sinclair-owned station who has since taken the story down and released a CYA statement:
"In a segment that aired earlier this week, we incorrectly asserted that Mayor Cooper's office withheld COVID-19 data from the public, which implied that there had been a cover up. We want to clarify that we do not believe there was any cover-up, and we apologize for the error and oversight in our reporting."

This lie was then propagated through twitter and rag publications and echoed until it landed on a certain news channel where it was held up as "conclusive proof" that the "COVID regime is political" and "our leaders are lying" about the state of affairs. And then it was posted across several "no politics" threads by the usual suspects here on Surly, who won't own up to their part in spreading disinformation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Captainant said:

if you read the quoted portion I included, the city could not do that because of the small sample size, making it easy to uniquely identify COVID-positive people without their consent - which is a big HIPAA no-no.

The initial claim of the sinclair-owned station who has since taken the story down and released a CYA statement:
"In a segment that aired earlier this week, we incorrectly asserted that Mayor Cooper's office withheld COVID-19 data from the public, which implied that there had been a cover up. We want to clarify that we do not believe there was any cover-up, and we apologize for the error and oversight in our reporting."

This lie was then propagated through twitter and rag publications and echoed until it landed on a certain news channel where it was held up as "conclusive proof" that the "COVID regime is political" and "our leaders are lying" about the state of affairs. And then it was posted across several "no politics" threads by the usual suspects here on Surly, who won't own up to their part in spreading disinformation.

they wouldn't have to give bar names just number of bars and the number of cases.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they wouldn't have to give bar names just number of bars and the number of cases.

The mayor gave the overall numbers from restaurants and bars during a July 2 press conference attended by Fox 17 (30:47 timestamp for the bar-specific numbers; 10 bars with at least 30 total confirmed), and to a local reporter for the Tennessee Lookout who wrote an article on it

Metro Health Department initially said it could not release numbers traced to bars and restaurants before reversing course. Of more than 21,700 cases in Davidson County,  “more than 80 cases” have been identified in clusters from restaurants and bars through the city’s contact tracing effort. 

So yeah, the fox17 article was a flat out lie. If you want to talk it further, let's discuss this further in another thread so we stop polluting this one

Edited by Captainant

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The mayor gave the overall numbers from restaurants and bars during a July 2 press conference attended by Fox 17, and to a local reporter for the Tennessee Lookout who wrote an article on it

So yeah, the fox17 article was a flat out lie. If you want to talk it further, let's discuss this further in another thread so we stop polluting this one

did the mayor give number of bar/restaurants the cases came from.    all he or the city would have to say is out of 100 restaurants there were 1000 cases or something to that effect.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

did the mayor give number of bar/restaurants the cases came from.    all he or the city would have to say is out of 100 restaurants there were 1000 cases or something to that effect.

timestamp from the video because you refuse to do ANYTHING to inform yourself.

https://youtu.be/oKnGUkDWAwI?t=1845

at the date of July 2, they had confirmed 10 bars cumulating in 30 confirmed cases. 

Edited by Captainant

mea culpa - if I could edit I would. I got mixed up with your constant questioning of the veracity of COVID numbers and calling folks "coronabros" for taking the virus seriously

Sorry for offending the likes of Dan Wolken and Stewart Mandell.

I do take the virus seriously. What’s a way to say you take the virus seriously but also don’t wake up each day thinking it’ll be my last day on earth if I happen to contract it? I’m not hugging the elderly nor visiting LTC facilities (because I have no need to). Yes I believe there’s an immunity going on between hard hit epicenters and that a lot of deaths in April & May weren’t expected to make it past July and August.

I mean that’s not totally crazy is it?
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ousux said:
On 9/19/2020 at 7:06 AM, BradInATX said:
It's amazing that we still have hillbillies that don't think masks help, despite mountains of evidence that they do. They're even on here, a place that skews more educated and intelligent than average. Just amazing. We live in idiot world.

Not so amazing considering all the conflicting info from Fauci, CDC and WHO and other sources over the past few months..and not just about masks. There are many people with above average education who doubt the effectiveness of masks, dont plan to get vaccinated etc. It has little to do with education, more about distrust in authority/media these days.

Dr. Fauci has not given conflicting information. 

Dr. Fauci has not given conflicting information. 

There is a portion of people that think because standards change as the novel corona virus is studied more and more information becomes available that all the prior information was made up and they also use that to discredit a person if a standard changes.

Imagine being so brain dead to think like that
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

There is a portion of people that think because standards change as the novel corona virus is studied more and more information becomes available that all the prior information was made up and they also use that to discredit a person if a standard changes.

What is the Keynes quote? “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?” 

your self confidence is too low to for fear of getting called out by a patriot.

My guess is that wearing a mask for you is virtue signalling in its finest form.  "I wear because I care!" Putting it out there in the finest Stuart Smalley tradition.  I bet you are one of those guys who wear one alone in the car going down the expressway so even more people see you wear one.  IF people were serious about masks, they would be wearing  mask types that are actually appropriate, not touching them, not reusing disposable ones, not pulling them down to talk, and myriad other things that show they have no clue.  Everything I see now looks just so half assed  compared to how one picks and uses a mask when they REALLY need one to protect their health and are serious about it.

I have wasted too much time on this (you) already.  I'll leave you to look into your mirror.

Stuart.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 15

On 9/21/2020 at 7:56 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

Austin has more people than the entire population of South Dakota and Texas has three times the population of the entire country of Sweden. Just saying.

Geography man : what is the population of New Zealand? BTW my point was there are examples on both sides. What does the population comment have do do with any of your comment? Just a numbers guy?

55 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

My guess is that wearing a mask for you is virtue signalling in its finest form.  "I wear because I care!" Putting it out there in the finest Stuart Smalley tradition.  I bet you are one of those guys who wear one alone in the car going down the expressway so even more people see you wear one.  IF people were serious about masks, they would be wearing  mask types that are actually appropriate, not touching them, not reusing disposable ones, not pulling them down to talk, and myriad other things that show they have no clue.  Everything I see now looks just so half assed  compared to how one picks and uses a mask when they REALLY need one to protect their health and are serious about it.

I have wasted too much time on this (you) already.  I'll leave you to look into your mirror.

s3HpPeb.gif

On 9/21/2020 at 8:50 AM, Neonmoon said:

First off, please provide the science showing which serious viral illnesses that herd immunity has helped control or even eliminate without a vaccine. And when I say serious viral illness, I mean those which can cause death, not chickenpox.  There are two ways to achieve herd immunity. a large proportion of the population either gets infected or gets a protective vaccine. Since we don't have a vaccine, I'm assuming you mean let everyone under 60 get infected, is this correct?

Since every person who touts herd immunity brings up Sweden, they actually haven't really looked at what Sweden did and the actual results. 

Sweden had a lockdown. It wasn't as severe as some countries, but it did. Sweden closed universities, schools with pupils 15 and older, and anyone over 70 had to self-isolate. They also banned gathering larger than 50. This did not save the economy as you might propose. The economy is expected to contract by 4.5%

The death rate was enormous compares to neighboring countries. Sweden's death per million is 580.64. It's neighbors Norway (49.07), Finland (61.18), and Denmark (109.6) had significantly lower deaths. Everyone sees the 5,864 deaths in Sweden and think that's a low number, but you have to consider the 10.23 million population. 

But don't worry, if you haven't noticed, the US is pretty much doing the Sweden model right now. Old people are staying home, no crowds over 50 besides political rallies and churches, and biker rallies, and universities and schools are somewhat closes and somewhat open. And guess what else, we have a shit ton of deaths. Currently around 204,126 with no signs of stopping. But since there are a lot of people, it's going to take a lot more deaths and a lot more spread before we reach the 70% of the population needed to reach herd immunity. 

First off, you also have to look at a country’s expected death rate, based upon population  age. It’s not all the same. Italy for example has the oldest (and most vulnerable population) and early on had the highest death rate relative to neighbors. Then you have to look at what percentage of the population was tested etc. Also my point was that there IS NOT “overwhelming “ evidence to favor one approach over the other. If you have those facts, bring it.

Additionally, as difficult as it seems for some to understand, the final event that takes a person’s life that is in a high risk group like immunocompromised individuals or end stage disease like cancer and dementia— is an infection. Pneumonia, , influenza, UTi , etc. relatively healthy individuals dying from COVid are exceptions. This is not the 1918 “Spanish Flu” that wipes out large swathes of healthy individuals at exponentially higher death rates, yet policy seems to be reacting like it is. At that time the death rate was massive. 

Lastly: Tell me what economy wouldn’t love to have only a 4.5 % contraction this year? The cratering of our economy has collateral health damage that Sweden isn’t going through— loss of jobs and therefore health benefits, so treating preventable diseases, health screening, etc, all goes backwards—- damage that goes way beyond even the tragic loss of life and health and costs of COVID directly. Since we have a shitty and expensive health care system based mainly upon employer supplied insurance instead of universal health care, we are killing people literally by allowing them to get other diseases, in order to prevent them from the theoretical and relatively lower risk COVID virus, as it relates to those not in the most high risk population. Heart disease, cancer , and diabetes are killing far, far more people, and for those that get laid off from this pandemic and lose coverage, many more will pay the ultimate price.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Well, don't you know non maskers knew all along that masks don't help? They don't need no damned science to tell them what works and what doesn't.  

1 hour ago, El Squared said:

First off, you also have to look at a country’s expected death rate, based upon population  age. It’s not all the same. Italy for example has the oldest (and most vulnerable population) and early on had the highest death rate relative to neighbors. Then you have to look at what percentage of the population was tested etc. Also my point was that there IS NOT “overwhelming “ evidence to favor one approach over the other. If you have those facts, bring it.

Additionally, as difficult as it seems for some to understand, the final event that takes a person’s life that is in a high risk group like immunocompromised individuals or end stage disease like cancer and dementia— is an infection. Pneumonia, , influenza, UTi , etc. relatively healthy individuals dying from COVid are exceptions. This is not the 1918 “Spanish Flu” that wipes out large swathes of healthy individuals at exponentially higher death rates, yet policy seems to be reacting like it is. At that time the death rate was massive. 

Lastly: Tell me what economy wouldn’t love to have only a 4.5 % contraction this year? The cratering of our economy has collateral health damage that Sweden isn’t going through— loss of jobs and therefore health benefits, so treating preventable diseases, health screening, etc, all goes backwards—- damage that goes way beyond even the tragic loss of life and health and costs of COVID directly. Since we have a shitty and expensive health care system based mainly upon employer supplied insurance instead of universal health care, we are killing people literally by allowing them to get other diseases, in order to prevent them from the theoretical and relatively lower risk COVID virus, as it relates to those not in the most high risk population. Heart disease, cancer , and diabetes are killing far, far more people, and for those that get laid off from this pandemic and lose coverage, many more will pay the ultimate price.

Somebody finally gets it.  

2 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

i think that is my quote.  but yeah, i have already said i don't like wearing them.  I put them on right before entering a store and take it off when leaving and not around people.  and no one should wear them in a car alone.  I think you are just making up stuff again to assuage your fear of looking bad because no one else is wearing them.

In Dallas, in the stores i have been in the most (Specs, Pool supply, Target, grocery store) it's been 99% people are wearing masks.  Probably because it's super fucking easy to do and they're not pussies; plus it's just common fucking courtesy to the store employees who have to wear them too.  And that's all i'm saying.  How masks ever got political or became a virtue signal (I guess for some) is just fucking baffling.  The docs and state officials said wear em, it's not hard to, so what's the big deal?

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, El Squared said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/05/us/coronavirus-death-toll-us.html

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1