College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

9 hours ago, El Squared said:

Geography man : what is the population of New Zealand? BTW my point was there are examples on both sides. What does the population comment have do do with any of your comment? Just a numbers guy?

You cannot compare the number of deaths with those countries.

How about this stat...

US has 4% percent of the population and 20% of the deaths and the total number of deaths are more than any other country in the world.

If you cannot see the problem here you are a fucking idiot.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, El Squared said:

This is not the 1918 “Spanish Flu” that wipes out large swathes of healthy individuals at exponentially higher death rates, yet policy seems to be reacting like it is.

No, not really. If 200,000 young, healthy Americans had died, we'd be on a real, strictly-enforced lock down with curfews and actual punishment for public gatherings. Because it is largely the elderly and immunocompromised at risk, policy is essentially, "Hey, please wear a mask when entering a public building, and let's chill out on crowds for awhile." But apparently even that's asking too much.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Cornfusion said:

My guess is that wearing a mask for you is virtue signalling in its finest form.  "I wear because I care!" Putting it out there in the finest Stuart Smalley tradition.  I bet you are one of those guys who wear one alone in the car going down the expressway so even more people see you wear one.  IF people were serious about masks, they would be wearing  mask types that are actually appropriate, not touching them, not reusing disposable ones, not pulling them down to talk, and myriad other things that show they have no clue.  Everything I see now looks just so half assed  compared to how one picks and uses a mask when they REALLY need one to protect their health and are serious about it.

I have wasted too much time on this (you) already.  I'll leave you to look into your mirror.

A lot of people are dumb, you can't expect perfect execution of mask wearing overnight. The next pandemic may be way worse, so let's learn now.

But you're making this too complicated, worrying about virtue signaling and political bullshit. The bottom line is that wearing a mask poses no risk to you and it's the only thing you can do to accelerate our return to normalcy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

How about this stat...

US has 4% percent of the population and 20% of the deaths and the total number of deaths are more than any other country in the world.

You are making the massive and unwarranted assumption that third world countries and communist dictators are

accurately reporting Covid deaths. That’s not happening. The Norks are still saying they don’t have Covid. China in the initial outbreak claimed what- like barely 5 figures in death toll in wuhan?  
compare us to Western Europe and other first world countries. I don’t know how we match up but I know we are being equally realistic in how we report deaths and totals. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My point is not that we are doing the best with this, but rather that anyone who believes the rest of the world is accurately counting this to Western standards is literally the most naive and least credulous person around. 

You are right, we only have exponentially more deaths than any other developed country that is not a banana republic run by authoritarians. Feel better now?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We haven't done well but somehow there's this idea that we're the worst which also isn't true.  This week's economist has the following deaths per 100k population:

• Belgium 86
  • Spain 65
  • UK 61
  • USA 59
  • Italy 59
  • Sweden 58
  • France 48
  • Netherlands 37

European countries that have done well:

• Portugal 19
  • Germany 11
  • Denmark 11
  • Finland 6
  • Norway 5
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My point is not that we are doing the best with this, but rather that anyone who believes the rest of the world is accurately counting this to Western standards is literally the most naive and least credulous person around. 

I'd agree with this and factor in that the US counts any death with COVID positive, has the highest testing counts and the accuracy of the testing itself.    Fraud aside, the world is not reporting with consistent standards.

I've long shared my concerns over the reporting, protocol to protect the country relative to collateral damages, political and media manipulation etc..  but I will share that I've followed the mask protocol, haven't visited my elderly parents, mandated all non essential employees work from home and restricted my personal interactions to a minimum etc..  Regardless of my concerns & doubts it's not an unreasonable burden to apply basic protocol until this shakes out and we learn from this situation. 

29 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Will yall shut the fuck up

Quit fucking engaging that jackass

and this is coming from one of the worst posters on this site

i too am one of the worst posters on this site and if we don't start talking b1g and pac resumption and domer malfeasance and other football shit i'm going to start talking about the top speed of boeing 767-200s and no one is going to like where that goes.

let's give immamac the weekend off shall we?

SHUT.THE.FUCK.UP about the goddamn virus on this thread and get back to bitching about football.  texan & cloak threads on the virus ------------->

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, elguapo said:

You are right, we only have exponentially more deaths than any other developed country that is not a banana republic run by authoritarians. Feel better now?

No that’s not what I’m saying either. I’m saying if you are going to use numbers like we have 20% of the worlds Covid deaths you should realize that we have no accurate way of knowing if this is true because coming up with an accurate denominator requires totaling up total world wide deaths and some regimes are lying about that while others are incompetent. 
It’s not an argument that we are doing well or poorly, it’s pointing out that the number being used for worldwide denominator is inaccurate and doesn’t pass basic smell test. In other words- GIGO

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

So who has the job of determining what to do with the results of this season - playoffs etc?

i can see the postponed games playing in to the b1g/pac late start and the "selection day is december 19th" moving and moving and moving back again.

Edited by Hagbard Celine

The lack of a 13th data point being held against Baylor and TCU will be even more laughable than it was at the time when Ohio State gets in playing 7-9 games.  The Big 12 might decide to go to an 8 game schedule in response.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, MoJames said:

So who has the job of determining what to do with the results of this season - playoffs etc?

It will be the playoff committee.  And it will be vastly more subjective this year than it has been in years past, and it has been pretty damn subjective up to now.

On 9/22/2020 at 7:47 AM, 'stache said:

Grocery stores are usually very large with high ceilings, people are moving around mostly, not socializing, and just getting what they need and leaving. In bars and restaurants people are usually in smaller areas, they are there to socialize and stay for an hour or sometimes much longer. Also groceries are essential, draft beer and chicken wings aren’t. The part I don’t get is treating bars and restaurants differently. They should be subject to the same rules and limitations.

Side bar and late to the game 

but who/why goes to grocery stores anymore? Delivery or free pickup is a fucking life saver. We do our shopping while sitting on the boat on Saturday Or Sunday  and pick it up on the way home. Sure one or two items are wrong or not there. Maybe a bad fruit or veggie occasionally but there are easy remedies for that.  Except for the occasional got to grab, or ran out of unexpectedly we don’t go inside the store.  A legitimate guess is the both of us have been inside the store maybe 6 times since may. Doesn’t count the daily beer/wine runs to corner store  

if you aren’t using the app and picking up the bulk of the groceries, you are doing life wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Eugene11 said:

but who/why goes to grocery stores anymore? Delivery or free pickup is a fucking life saver. We do our shopping while sitting on the boat on Saturday Or Sunday  and pick it up on the way home. Sure one or two items are wrong or not there. Maybe a bad fruit or veggie occasionally but there are easy remedies for that.  Except for the occasional got to grab, or ran out of unexpectedly we don’t go inside the store.  A legitimate guess is the both of us have been inside the store maybe 6 times since may. Doesn’t count the daily beer/wine runs to corner store  

if you aren’t using the app and picking up the bulk of the groceries, you are doing life wrong. 

I like going to the grocery store if it’s for me. If it’s the wife sending me with a list no thanks but me shopping on my own for a week?  Love it. 

Who still orders groceries from their boat and picks them up themselves in 2020?

If you aren’t ordering groceries while poppin bottles in your private jet on the way back from wherever, then sending whatever thot you brought home the night before to pick them up in the morning, then you are doing life wrong.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

How about this stat...

You obviously cannot conceive of more than one option at a time. Please don't chew gum and post.

soooo, is the blowu kstate game still happening?  And i know it's already starting, but there is going to be for real spiderman finger pointing.gif  when teams are missing games and their opponent from last week also blows up with C19 issues.

maybe 2 weeks between playoff rounds for full quarantine?

2 hours ago, WBT said:

The lack of a 13th data point being held against Baylor and TCU will be even more laughable than it was at the time when Ohio State gets in playing 7-9 games.  The Big 12 might decide to go to an 8 game schedule in response.

I'm sure the Big 12 will play as many games as they possibly can.

2 hours ago, Eugene11 said:

1. Don't want others picking out my produce/meat

2. Kids/wife - this is a legitimate need that gets me out of the house sometimes with neither

3. The talent walking around middle of the day during the week

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

USF statement doesn't say anyone caught COVID from Notre Dame, but implies that enough of their players were in close enough contact with ND players as to call off this (non-conference) game. Hopefully USF comes clean with its testing results over the next few days, it would be quite important to know if the virus can be transmitted during a game. Seems like yes but it hasn't been proven yet.

Edited by Bartles