College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

3 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Yep.

With the new testing and moving ever closer to a vaccine hopefully we have few cancellations by the time they start up.

because it's football-related i can make the following reply....

we will not have a vaccine available by december 19th.

/football-related use of virus comment

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Houston has previously had opening games against Rice, Memphis and Baylor postponed or canceled. In all four cases, Houston's opponents had coronavirus issues that did not allow them to play.

Dang.  I did a little digging and this is kind of interesting.  Plus AD/coach sniping between Baylor and UH:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Timeline-Houston-football-five-games-COVID-19-15591837.php

Timeline of how UH has had five games wiped out by COVID-19

Spoiler

July 9: A small group of UH athletes resume voluntary workouts for the first time since the school abruptly suspended athletic activities in early June due to six positive tests for the novel coronavirus.

July 10: With the Pac-12 Conference’s decision to play a conference-only schedule, UH’s first game erased off the schedule is a Sept. 12 trip to Washington State.

Aug. 5: The American Athletic Conference announces plans to play a full schedule in the fall, giving schools the option of playing as many as four nonconference opponents. A UH spokesman says the school will stay with an 11-game schedule and not replace the Washington State game. The Sept. 3 game against Rice remains on, as does the start of league play Sept. 19 at Memphis.

Aug. 10: The Bayou Bucket, set for Sept. 3 at TDECU Stadium, is postponed when Rice announces it will delay the start of its season until Sept. 26.

Aug. 25: UH coach Dana Holgorsen says he is pleased with safety protocols put in place by school and program has had “zero issues” since the restart of workouts.

Aug. 27: The AAC announces the UH-Memphis game will move up a day, to Sept. 18.

Sept. 11: ESPN 97.5 FM in Houston reports that the Memphis game is in jeopardy after at least 20 individuals within the Memphis football program test positive for COVID-19. The Memphis Commercial Appeal attributes the increase in cases – which also includes 20 others in quarantine due to contact tracing – to a party bus that members of the team were on six days earlier after a season-opening win against Arkansas State. Memphis says the cases are linked to “social events outside of football activities” and pauses all practices indefinitely.

Sept. 12: UH and Memphis mutually agree to postpone game to a later date. “These are challenging times and we have to remain flexible in our scheduling,” UH athletic director Chris Pezman says. The two sides continue to work on a makeup date. At the same time, UH begins negotiations with Baylor on a possible game. Within an 18-hour window, the schools agree to a Sept. 19 game in Waco and a future home-and-home series.

Sept. 17: Baylor athletic director Mack Rhoades contacts Pezman about a COVID-19 issue on the Baylor roster.

Sept. 18: Once again the season opener is called off due to COVID-19 issues, as Baylor has a position group unexpectedly fall under the minimum threshold required to play by the Big 12. “COVID giveth, COVID taketh away,” Pezman says. He adds: We’re going to play football at some point. It’s going to go our way.” A frustrated Holgorsen says UH has been COVID-free for several weeks and posts a photo of the team’s equipment truck outside McLane Stadium. “We were ready, and we will stay ready,” Holgorsen writes in the tweet. The two schools plan to honor the home-and-home series.

Sept. 21: During his weekly press conference, Holgorsen expresses frustration over the short notice given to UH from Baylor. A source says UH’s issue is with a lack of communication from the Baylor side. “How it gets to 22 hours before the game, I don’t know,” Holgorsen says. “There’s a reason our conference (American Athletic Conference) and the Big 12 tests three times a week. I would think our opponent kind of knows where they are at, just like we kind of know where we were at, to the point where it gets 22 hours before the game.”

Asked during appearance on SicEm365Radio if he is disappointed by the “chirping” from UH, Rhoades says he is. “I’ll be candid, I’m disappointed in their head football coach and the chirping,” Rhoades, a former athletic director at UH, says. “I let the AD (Chris Pezman) know it. In my opinion (it’s) not professional, but we’ll move on and move forward.”

Word surfaces that, along with COVID-19 issues, the roster shortage involves the offensive line, which was one below the seven-man threshold partly because of a suspended player, according to Fox Sports analyst Joel Klatt. Rhoades says Baylor coach Dave Aranda was unwilling to play the suspended player. “We probably could have justified it in our mind and we certainly could have cleared it … but what does that do in terms of long-term and what we believe in and what our program’s built upon and then what message does that send to our young men as well?” Rhoades said. “It was just something that Dave and I at the end of the day that we just felt we’re not going to compromise.”

954047-Football.jpg?v=1571609589

Sept. 23: Another game is scratched, this time Saturday’s home opener against North Texas, marking the third cancellation in 12 days for the Cougars. In a statement, North Texas says four players tested positive this week and subsequent contact tracing has left the Mean Green able to field a team. [More quality journalism?]

Edited by clapclapclap

Just to update what I posted last week, when talking only about games between two P5 teams:

Already played: 8 of 9 scheduled (VT at UVa was ppd)

This weekend: 17 of 18 appear to be on schedule (ND at Wake ppd)

I know there is still time today for bad news, and around noon tomorrow tweets will start flying around like "OMG Vanderbilt has 27 players sitting out!". But if we wake up Sunday morning with 25 out of 27 power-5 matchups in the books, that's pretty far above a lot of people's expectations.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Just to update what I posted last week, when talking only about games between two P5 teams:

Already played: 8 of 9 scheduled (VT at UVa was ppd)

This weekend: 17 of 18 appear to be on schedule (ND at Wake ppd)

I know there is still time today for bad news, and around noon tomorrow tweets will start flying around like "OMG Vanderbilt has 27 players sitting out!". But if we wake up Sunday morning with 25 out of 27 power-5 matchups in the books, that's pretty far above a lot of people's expectations.

You're right. Pretty good so far. I just hope we don't end up with like 5 schools claiming a national championship for this season 

It’s all for show? Perception that things are being done? I know, I know, if I go into any business I have to wear one prior to entering.

Is it just an ease of mind/conscious or is it actually helping? At this point in time, I really don’t know. Mask away though! Show’em that you got it!

• Like 1

Notre Dame football coach Brian Kelly ties coronavirus outbreak to pregame meal, vomiting player

Notre Dame will resume team practices Wednesday after reporting 18 positive coronavirus tests on Monday, but the program has changed the way it will eat its pregame meals and will now have rapid antigen tests available on the sideline because of lessons learned from their outbreak, coach Brian Kelly told ESPN on Tuesday.

Kelly said team doctors determined that the outbreak, which resulted in 25 players in isolation and 14 others in quarantine, stemmed from two events surrounding the Sept. 19 game against South Florida: eating their pregame meal together, and one player who threw up on the sideline during the game and was treated for dehydration.

Kelly said the change in routine from summer camp to game week revealed new challenges that could have only been discovered with the start of the season.

"Throughout our entire time together, we had not had one meal where we sat down together," Kelly said. "Everything was grab and go. We get into our game situation where we have pregame meal together, and that cost us. Big. We had somebody who was asymptomatic, and it spread like wildfire throughout our meeting area where we were eating and then it got guys in contact tracing."

Notable that this thread had zero posts Sunday and Monday. I'm not gonna research this but there's a good chance the thread hasn't had two quiet days in 5+ months (if ever). I think that speaks to all conferences being committed for the fall, and also so much evidence that they are going to keep moving forward despite occasional lost games.

Still, the question in the thread title will remain relevant until we get to selection day.

TTGUjA2.png

I wonder, if attendances' in stadium, (between all power conferences) will bounce back, or continue to drop off at faster rates than before...

As college football returns amid the coronavirus pandemic, some schools will still ... football's return has focused on the student-athlete risk, fan attendance could have a ... There have already been instances of the health risks that come from ...

On 9/29/2020 at 4:20 PM, Captainant said:

Notre Dame football coach Brian Kelly ties coronavirus outbreak to pregame meal, vomiting player

Notre Dame will resume team practices Wednesday after reporting 18 positive coronavirus tests on Monday, but the program has changed the way it will eat its pregame meals and will now have rapid antigen tests available on the sideline because of lessons learned from their outbreak, coach Brian Kelly told ESPN on Tuesday.

Kelly said team doctors determined that the outbreak, which resulted in 25 players in isolation and 14 others in quarantine, stemmed from two events surrounding the Sept. 19 game against South Florida: eating their pregame meal together, and one player who threw up on the sideline during the game and was treated for dehydration.

Kelly said the change in routine from summer camp to game week revealed new challenges that could have only been discovered with the start of the season.

"Throughout our entire time together, we had not had one meal where we sat down together," Kelly said. "Everything was grab and go. We get into our game situation where we have pregame meal together, and that cost us. Big. We had somebody who was asymptomatic, and it spread like wildfire throughout our meeting area where we were eating and then it got guys in contact tracing."

the dinesh patel special strikes again

It's late Friday so time to update this stat. There are 16 games scheduled tomorrow between two Power 5 opponents. Assuming no last minute cancellations (pretty sure we have not seen a game called on less than 24 hours notice), that means by the end of Saturday night, 41 out of 43 matchups between two P5 teams will have been successfully played.

(I know, I should probably start waiting til Sunday to update this)

Just now, Bartles said:

It's late Friday so time to update this stat. There are 16 games scheduled tomorrow between two Power 5 opponents. Assuming no last minute cancellations (pretty sure we have not seen a game called on less than 24 hours notice), that means by the end of Saturday night, 41 out of 43 matchups between two P5 teams will have been successfully played.

Which are the two that didn't make?  UVA-VaTech I think is one, any idea on the other?

10 minutes ago, Bartles said:

You should include AAC numbers.

We're as competitive as the Pac 12, anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You should include AAC numbers.

We're as competitive as the Pac 12, anyway.

I agree but the testing wasn't the same in the beginning. It's a story of money, mostly. The other ppd game was Notre Dame at Wake Forest (UND outbreak)

you know, if we just ban fans from the games entirely, it totally eliminates the problems of ticket resales and cancelled travel, etc-- we can shuffle these games around in terms of location, and date, for weather or any other reason

not to mention stopping the spread of COVID and all other communicable diseases

9 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

you know, if we just ban fans from the games entirely, it totally eliminates the problems of ticket resales and cancelled travel, etc-- we can shuffle these games around in terms of location, and date, for weather or any other reason

not to mention stopping the spread of COVID and all other communicable diseases

And if we just had robots play the game, that would eliminate injuries and other environmental impacts as well.

Better still, just have computers simulate the entire thing, PS3-style.  

• Like 1

Just now, utee94 said:

And if we just had robots play the game, that would eliminate injuries and other environmental impacts as well.

Better still, just have computers simulate the entire thing, PS3-style.  

We're already living in a simulation, I think that's a little recursive, but I like the robot (or at a minimum, the super intelligent cyborgs we've been promised) idea