Bama 10-1 sec runner up

Aggy 7-1 sec powerhouse 

Clemson 10-1 acc champ

Notre Dame 10-1 acc runner up

Miami 10-1 acc aggy

Ohio State 5-0/6-0  Big 10 rep? 

SC ?-0 who cares 

ISU 9-2 Big 12 champ

There you go playoff committee, figure it out. 

People would hate it, but this is a layup for the committee:

1 Clemson: Preseason 1, only loss on the road in OT without your QB

2 Alabama: Best team start-to-finish, slips up on neutral site to a Top 5 challenger

3 Ohio State: Eye test is all we got, but they'll be a dominant 7-0

4 Florida: Early close loss redeemed by beating No. 1 and winning best conference

43 minutes ago, Houston20 said:

I don't understand the atm hype for the playoffs. They've beat one good team, and the teams they beat have a 23-38 combined record. Take away Florida and its 15-37. 

The whole argument of "take away good aspects of these stats or season" is ignorant. They beat a damn good Florida team. You can' take that away. And everyone else not named Bama. They have had a great season, aggy or not. SEC is pretty down, especially in the West. But they have did everything asked of them. I don't think they are that great but their resume is solid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

The whole argument of "take away good aspects of these stats or season" is ignorant. They beat a damn good Florida team. You can' take that away. And everyone else not named Bama. They have had a great season, aggy or not. SEC is pretty down, especially in the West. But they have did everything asked of them. I don't think they are that great but their resume is solid. 

They're not great, but they've become a bona fide good football team.  Much better than they've been since their miracle season with Johnny, that's for sure.  The SEC West is also dogshit outside of Alabama and A&M, which helps them, but that win over Florida is legit.

I think they'd get waxed again by Alabama, or tOSU, or Clemson, if they were to play any of those teams in the CFP.  But, so would pretty much all other teams in college football.

• Hook 'Em 1

they are solid.  what is key for tamu is that they can run the ball really well.  i first took notice of it in the second/third quarter of the florida game.  they had two straight drives that went the length of the field running the ball every single play with spiller.  spiller is really damned good...he's a throwback every down tailback and they have a solid oline in front of him.  he has phenomenal inside running vision. it reminds me just a little bit of watching ricky run in terms of his quick inside movements and adjustments despite size.

their weakness is that mond is a bit unpredictable and super streaky (not unlike sam).  if he has a bad game against good teams, they are sunk.  fortunately for them, his bad games have been against vandy and lsu who are both pathetically bad.  in his average and above average games, he still is good for disappearing for at least a quarter but that's where being able to run the ball saves you.

they are also suspect in pass defense against competent passing attacks.  there are three of those in the sec - bama, florida, and ole miss (kinda-ish).  bama lit them up bad.  they contained florida pretty well but gata still scored 38.  they are going to avoid playing ole miss.  vandy, south carolina, arkansas, lsu, miss st., auburn, and (if they play) tennessee have shitty passing offenses.  actually, they all just have shitty offenses period.  none of them are good at all...even auburn.  bo nix is awful.

they have one 1.5 quality wins right now (florida and at aub) but have soundly beaten everyone else in front of them in workmanlike fashion except for the best team in the country.

they're obnoxious little fucks but looking around the country, they are definitely a top ten team this year.  i think they would play an entertaining game against ou, notre dame, georgia, and florida...but would require some major luck to stay competitive with bama and clemson if each are healthy.

• Hook 'Em 2

and nothing would warm my heart more than ohio state getting somehow fucked out of the playoff...even though they won't.

not sure day wants to put that pass defense up against the tide though.  they didn't have a plug and play replacement for okudah, chase young, arnette, hamilton, and fuller like they usually do.

which begs the question...ohio state's competition outside of indiana (which is kind of laughable to even say) has been beyond pathetic and yet the defense has not been solid as usual.  are we seeing day go the direction of lincoln and can we expect a bit of a drop-off on d?  would be great if that happened.

10 minutes ago, sidis said:

which begs the question...ohio state's competition outside of indiana (which is kind of laughable to even say) has been beyond pathetic and yet the defense has not been solid as usual.  are we seeing day go the direction of lincoln and can we expect a bit of a drop-off on d?  would be great if that happened.

you really can't make any assessment based off of this crazy ass COVID season.  they've played 5 games and didn't start until October 24.  way too early to start saying Day is regressing or Ohio State isn't what is used to be.

1 minute ago, Jive Turkey said:

you really can't make any assessment based off of this crazy ass COVID season.  they've played 5 games and didn't start until October 24.  way too early to start saying Day is regressing or Ohio State isn't what is used to be.

agreed that it is a poor dataset on which to draw any conclusions.  one note, i am not saying that day is regressing per se...just like lincoln didn't regress...their offense is one of the best two offenses in the country and they are a top 5 team.  just an observation that this defense has not looked consistent with the last 20 or so years.  but it certainly could be a bad sample.

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

If BYU and Coastal Carolina can figure this shit out Texas A&M and Ohio State sure as fuck can. 

Lol Ohio State would play aggy this afternoon. Aggy, on the other hand, will never agree. One wants in the playoffs because they have a shot to win it, the other is hoping to back door their way in so they can put a 30 point loss on the wall

Teams all got sent home from mid-March through June. Hard to "plug" the next Okudah in when he's at home doing push-ups in the garage. Our staff is down a bit since losing Hafley, but we're pretty darn good. Lastly, dig into our stats and our defense doesn't look SO bad. Run defense is very good. We could roll resources from run D to pass D.

That said, our defense is the weakest of the top 4 teams. We'd need to play our best game and get real lucky.

ETA
I really like to think our AD and coaches are willing to play, "any one, any where" on Saturday, and an Aggy match up would be awesome. Would be great to get our guys some game reps against good competition. Would help us in the playoffs. But I might just be a homer. Might be a non starter for our AD.

22 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

they aren't going to play and the Ags are going to get shutout of the CFP.  I'm totally ok with that.  GFY Jimbo

Agree on the first part. Neither of those teams wants to play each other. OSU will be in the playoffs. They would destroy Aggy. Aggy could very well make it if ND beats Clemson though. It'd be them or Cincy and there are no signs Cincy would jump them.

Sounds like Purdue bailed them out with their outbreak. No way B1G farms out an easy W and more clear path to CFP, especially at the risk of pissing off Fox if they didn't get the game. Now they can keep everything in the family and let the Bucks roll again at Big Noon.

I suspect aggy would have taken their chances that ND beats Clemson again, as opposed to a sure loss to tOSU in front of a massive audience (and again, having to navigate the Fox/CBS situation).

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Other than Indiana OSU has played:

Nebraska 2-4

PSU 2-5

Rutgers 2-5

MSU 2-4

It was basically a 1 game season to get into a 4 team playoff.  

Wow didn't realize it was that bad. Classic CFP bias that OSU is guaranteed a spot with that while undefeated USC isn't even sniffing the top 10.

Same with 10-1 Miami (loss to Clemson) vs Aggy (loss to Bama). Miami at#10, Aggy at #5

2 hours ago, El Hornarino said:

Only thing Ohio State would gain from playing the aggies is exposure to novel ovine coronavirus.

Exactly. I'm not sure when I woke up in a college football world where people felt like Ohio State had to prove itself against fucking A&M of all teams, but here we are.

If people want to say "fuck Ohio State", I don't blame them. If those people want to, out of the other side of their mouths, praise A&M, then the answer is "no, fuck you." There's a sort of implied equivalency ("oooh, they should play, they're both in the Top 5!") when the reality is, Alabama already made this a moot point by exposing what happens to teams like A&M when they tangle with the top shelf programs.

2 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

they aren't going to play and the Ags are going to get shutout of the CFP.  I'm totally ok with that.  GFY Jimbo

It’s win win for us.  Either aggy gets unfairly (sort of) left out of the playoff or we watch them get their ass beat on prime time by OSU.  Of course, when I say “win win,” that is relative to our current fucking pile of misery we are sitting in.

6 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Come on 2020, give us what we neeeed

Florida 10-1 sec champ

Bama 10-1 sec runner up

Aggy 7-1 sec powerhouse 

Clemson 10-1 acc champ

Notre Dame 10-1 acc runner up

Miami 10-1 acc aggy

Ohio State 5-0/6-0  Big 10 rep? 

SC ?-0 who cares 

ISU 9-2 Big 12 champ

There you go playoff committee, figure it out. 

In that scenario, pretty easy...

Florida

Clemson

Ohio St

USC

19 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

we all shit on the big 10 for how they handled this and now they're going to get a team in the playoff that played half of a regular season.

Well preseason polls dictate starting points - it is a shitty system, always has been

16 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Other than Indiana OSU has played:

Nebraska 2-4

PSU 2-5

Rutgers 2-5

MSU 2-4

It was basically a 1 game season to get into a 4 team playoff.  

The B1G is awful, there is no way to analytically say any deserve a playoff spot
Only OSU beating Indy and NW beating Iowa is a good team beating a good team (NW loses accolades for losing to a bad MSU team)

12 hours ago, Landomatic said:

In that scenario, pretty easy...

Florida

Clemson

Ohio St

USC

Why USC - they are 4-0 and have wins against AU & ASU both winless and 1-2 Utah and WSU - opponents have combined 2-10 record (both of those wins come against Oregon St)

Seeing more Trojan love in this thread than I ever thought I would on a Horn-board

29 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Why USC - they are 4-0 and have wins against AU & ASU both winless and 1-2 Utah and WSU - opponents have combined 2-10 record (both of those wins come against Oregon St)

Because, under the poster's hypothetical that I replied to, it assumes USC will be 6-0 at the end of the season with a conference championship game win. Plus they're a household name and from the west coast so you've got that for TV purposes.

Winner of the SEC with one loss, winner of the ACC with one loss, undefeated winner of the PAC and undefeated winner of the B1G. All very household names in different parts of the country for TV purposes. Sorry, Big 12...your 2 loss teams (especially if one is named Iowa State) don't stand a chance. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Seeing more Trojan love in this thread than I ever thought I would on a Horn-board

It's not Trojan love from me, just reality.  I think the committee will be willing to throw out the fact that some teams may not have played as many games this year as others, for the right bluebloods in the right circumstances...i.e. an undefeated USC/tOSU.

Edited by Landomatic

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Because, under the poster's hypothetical that I replied to, it assumes USC will be 6-0 at the end of the season with a conference championship game win. Plus they're a household name and from the west coast so you've got that for TV purposes.

Winner of the SEC with one loss, winner of the ACC with one loss, undefeated winner of the PAC and undefeated winner of the B1G. All very household names in different parts of the country for TV purposes. Sorry, Big 12...your 2 loss teams (especially if one is named Iowa State) don't stand a chance. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

got it, don't like it, not sure I agree with it - but i get it
IMO Ohio State needs to play a game this week to stay in contention for a playoff spot, hopefully not a rematch but hell it is 2020 so who the fuck knows

I don't really see any issue with anything happening with tOSU. It's a strange year with extenuating circumstances and it makes perfect sense to put them in the B10 title game. Everyone in the country knows they're the best team in the conference and will kick the shit out of whoever they play. Them beating the hell out of Michigan and a bunch of other crappy b10 teams and OOC patsies wouldn't change any of that.

And no issue with their inevitable playoff berth either. Who else are you going to put in? If you believe the Buckeyes wouldn't beat anyone below them in the rankings by multiple scores, you're out of your mind.

I'd love to see a G5 team get in this year for fun, but tOSU is obviously one of the four best teams and that's who is supposed to be in the playoffs. Would you rather see Bama play A&M or Florida again? Or steamroll Iowa State or USC or Cincy by five touchdowns? The best and most intriguing matchup for that 1/4 game is easily Bama vs. tOSU.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 3