College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, UTEX_ME said:

if this sends aggy to the playoffs.. 

We should root for ISU

Right behind aggy in the rankings - play a top 10 opponent on Saturday - would be a conf champ. 

They'd have a better argument than aggy, by far.  Aggy has 1 good win (#7 UF) and a loss to #2 and didn't win their division.  ISU would have wins over #20 Texas and two wins over #10 OU and a loss to #19 and #21.  They'd have won their division and conference.

4 top 25 wins and a top 20 loss + conf champ >>>>> 1 top 25 win and a top 2 loss and no division or conf champ

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We should root for ISU

Right behind aggy in the rankings - play a top 10 opponent on Saturday - would be a conf champ. 

They'd have a better argument than aggy, by far.  Aggy has 1 good win (#7 UF) and a loss to #2 and didn't win their division.  ISU would have wins over #20 Texas, #21 Ok State and two wins over #10 OU and a loss to #19.  They'd have won their division and conference.

4 top 25 wins and a top 20 loss + conf champ >>>>> 1 top 25 win and a top 2 loss and no division or conf champ

didn't ISU lose their first game to Shreveport High or some shit?

7 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

didn't ISU lose their first game to Shreveport High or some shit?

They lost to #19 Louisiana.  Also I was wrong, they lost to OSU.  Still a better schedule than A&M. 

ISU opponent winning percentage (including OU game on Sat.) - 57-47 (55%)

A&M opponent winning percentage (not including Ole Miss since it wasn't played and including Tenn game on Sat.)  - 38-48 (44%)

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

bwahahahaha.  

1.  you gotta get in the playoff, first.  if Clemson blows their doors off, that's not a given.

2. you ain't skipping the playoff you lying sack of shit.

I wouldn’t be so quick to start hurling insults at Kelly right now. Just in case. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

There's already been a campaign by the SEC/ACC to move the Rose Bowl game. 

i bet Cincinnati or USC or Iowa State would play in the Rose Bowl.

if the playoff committee or whoever gives in to pressure and moves a semifinal from the Rose Bowl, then there is absolutely no excuse for not adding a few teams to the playoffs in this pandemic season.  if the committee can suddenly move the game to JerryWorld or Mercedes in Atlanta with a few weeks notice, then they sure as fuck can make this a 6 team or 8 team playoff.

i hate hate hate this bullshit playoff system.  so help me if we ever get good enough to be in the hunt and screwed out of it like were were in 2008 . . . i'll write a sternly worded letter to the commish.  

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

We don’t need a bunch of .500 and below teams squaring off in third tier bowl games. That’s not what I’m thinking of when I say I’ve loved having college football.

No one in the running for NY6 games is “opting out.” 

Wrong. Every bowl game is one more game to savor before the 9 months of no college football. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wrong. Every bowl game is one more game to savor before the 9 months of no college football. 

Word. I think some sub .500 teams are opting out because they feel undeserving, and I can respect that. Some above .500 teams might opt out because of financial reasons. But I think we'll still have a lot of non-NY6 bowls this bowl season

Also don't discount the fact that the players are tired of being locked down and away from their families, since June, in some cases. If you are a 2-3 team, going to Idaho and having to skip the holidays, wouldn't you question if it is worth that? Plus some of the bowl games were bullshit, anyway. Who is going to miss the Redbox bowl?

I really think fatigue is playing a big role in this.

Kelly said. "My kids have been on campus since June. They haven't seen their families very much at all. They've had to fight through COVID; some of them have had COVID. They can't be around their families for Christmas,

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Yeah, many of them have been in a semi-bubble, they’ve been on a roller coaster, and who tf knows if these scheduled games even get played? Better to go home for Christmas than prep for the WeedWhacker Bowl only for it to be canceled because some interior lineman snuck out of curfew and got COVID at a titty bar or some shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

At this point, the only upside for the players playing in non playoff bowls are the gift bags and who knows what that looks like this year.  Normally, there is a lot of value in an extra month of practice but the bowls are what, next week or something?  

Rose Bowl might be one of the best but imagine this year, you'd fly out to Pasadena, sit in your hotel room and only that and practice, play in an empty stadium, and then fly back.  No thanks.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Minnesota and Nebraska have declined. I’d expect 3 more bowls cancelled today 

I can’t believe Texas is gonna keep Herman and play in basically the conference’s 4th tier bowl 

Edited by Js1

College Sports Facing Long-Term Threats of Aging Fan and Donor Demographics

The Division I collegiate sports ecosystem is facing several strong headwinds, including an ever-growing gap between the haves and have nots, declining season ticket sales and attendance figures, mounting legal and anti-trust challenges, and loads of long-term debt. But former UC-Davis athletic director Kevin Blue (he recently accepted the role of chief sport officer at Golf Canada) says the “most underappreciated challenge to the long-term health of college athletics is aging fan and donor demographics.”

Our Take: Historically speaking, athletic departments have relied heavily on fundraising revenue to cover the costs of their various sports programs (including scholarship aid for student athletes). But as alumni of the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s begin to age out, concerns are beginning to mount about the shortfall they will leave in budgets and whether it can be replaced. “The fact that most donors are in an older age bracket is very scary,” said Jay Judge (Senior Associate Athletics Director, Development and External Affairs, Seton Hall University).

It wouldn’t be so scary if there were another generation of boosters ready to assume the responsibility. The problem is graduates of the ’90s and ’00s are significantly underrepresented among current donors, and it very much remains a question whether they will ever give back to athletic programs in the same way their predecessors did. “The characteristics of people going to college and their preferences with respect to athletics have changed over the last several decades,” Blue explained.

One reason ’90s and ’00s graduates are not donating at the same clip as generations before them is the competition for philanthropic dollars has increased significantly over the last 25 years. Globalization and the birth of the internet led to the increased awareness of—and access to—countless charitable causes both local and globally. “Growing up [in the late ’80s and ’90s], my dad always said you give back to your church, you give back to your grammar or high school, and you give back to your college or university,” Judge said. “It was almost mandated.”

That was a common mindset in households nationwide for a long time. But as the Seton Hall executive said, “There are a lot more worthy causes to donate to now a days and college athletics sometimes is not as much of a priority for a younger generations disposable income.” It is worth noting Judge founded Coaches Cure CF, a charity aimed at raising awareness of and funding for Cystic Fibrosis research in 2013 (they have been fundraising with coaches and schools since ’10).

Schools would do a better job cultivating young donors if they spent more time thinking about the long-term. But Blue explained, the challenge athletic departments face is they have a sort of ‘innovators dilemma’ on their hands. “The most important donors [to an athletic department] right now are the ones with the ability to make the biggest difference financially, and generally those people tend to be further along in age. So, as [athletic departments] focus on urgent current priorities, their attention understandably gravitates towards those people with high [donation] capacities rather than the younger ones who don’t have the capacity yet.” Remember, it’s going to take years for the young donor behavior seeded now to pay off.

The traditional fundraising model has rewarded donors with access to tickets and parking in exchange for their donations. But as evidenced by the declining attendance figures, young fans are far less inclined to be wooed by premium seats to a game. The University of Maryland has seemingly figured this out. To appeal to the next generation of donors and increase Terrapin Club membership (which funds scholarships for the school’s student-athletes), the B1G school has moved towards a strategy that prioritizes “different types of benefits; unique content and experiences that [members] can’t get anywhere else.” They’ve introduced an online streaming platform (Terrapin Club Plus), a quarterly magazine and a program called Backstage Pass that gives Club members the chance to take peek behind the curtain of the school’s athletic department (think: open gym at the Xfinity Center, locker room tours or access to a post-game press conference). The hope is the new benefits will drive membership sales. “We really want participation and eventually, down the line, hopefully [those joining at base levels] will be able to donate more money,” Monroe said. It’s the long-term play that athletic departments have traditionally failed to make.

It’s too early to tell if Maryland’s creativity is paying dividends. Terrapin Club Plus just launched within the last month, and COVID-19 has prevented members from having the chance to take advantage of the benefits offered by Backstage Pass.

Demographics aside, athletic departments have come to realize there are inherent problems with tying the bulk of donations to tickets and parking. Those numbers will “ebb and flow” with on-field/court performance, Monroe said. That may help explain why Maryland, which hasn’t been to the Final Four since ’02, has seen Club membership drop from upwards of 10,000 members to just over 5,000 within the last 10 to 15 years (note: Maryland is among the schools who brings in more in donations from basketball than football). University of Oklahoma AD Joe Castiglione said his school has begun to “offer unique membership options that are not tied to any ticketing” to avoid dramatic fluctuations in fundraising dollars. He indicated the Netflix-style memberships, “where donors can pay a low monthly cost,” have been successful.

Tying the majority of the school’s giving program to seat licenses also “naturally influences an annual giving program in a way that makes it geographically biased,” Blue said. Which helps to explain the logic behind Maryland’s new approach. As Sportico’s Eben Novy-Williams recently reported, the Terrapin Club intends to use TicketIQ’s FanIQ to cast as wide a net as possible. Monroe explained part of the appeal of the media-driven approach: The school “could have an alum that doesn’t live in the area and is still be able to take advantage of [the membership’s new] assets.”

https://view.email.sportico.com/?qs=432ca9d7ba7382a98fddaf447823dc859c5f4d79be49dffce6f94c578710a0ce8060c0c6844c9c0179d13e48e5207d2053782efb59b1963e1d907152ef2336cd8354782eabd8a7c1

19 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Rose Bowl might be one of the best but imagine this year, you'd fly out to Pasadena, sit in your hotel room and only that and practice, play in an empty stadium, and then fly back.  No thanks.

it's a real shame things didn't shake out so Indiana could go to the Rose Bowl this year