College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

9 hours ago, Big Frog II said:

Ironic isn't it unless they are getting rid of Frost.

Not really (and no, not 1 chance that Frost is gone). Team wanted to play the SEASON. They have done so, are now 3-5, and don't see much additional reason to play a meaningless bowl (travel, quarantine in hotel, play in front of an empty stadium, etc.) I have no issue with this decision, or the decision of any team in a similar circumstance. It's not even like a normal year, where you might get in several weeks of extra practice. You will get a handful of practices in many cases.

On 12/21/2020 at 6:10 AM, clapclapclap said:

Huh, so grads that start out their careers saddled with 50-150k of student debt may not be as willing to donate to the schools that charged them an arm and a leg and a torso.  Who could have foreseen that?

I will never understand making a "donation" to a billion dollar institution that's already has a large income turning huge profits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/19/2020 at 10:29 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

We don’t need a bunch of .500 and below teams squaring off in third tier bowl games. That’s not what I’m thinking of when I say I’ve loved having college football.

No one in the running for NY6 games is “opting out.” 

It almost feels the same as a 5-7 team getting a bowl bid in a normal season...

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Didn't he already have Covid earlier in the year? I thought the whole crew did or was that Fox I'm thinking of?

Same question I had.

Apparently he was just exposed to it back in September. So he called the FSU-UM game from home. 

I wouldn't be disappointed if he opted out of calling the games.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

If this season hadn't happened, Tom Herman would still be our coach. Damn the chicken littles!

Truly, one of the blessings of this season happening. I'll readily admit I was wrong -- back in the spring I did not think the games (or at least the majority of them) would be played. I appreciate everyone who made it happen. 

• Like 1

Did we have a single Covid hospitalization at any level anywhere due to the Rona (football associated I mean, obviously)? 
I didn’t hear about any deaths or serious injuries, as one would expect you wouldn’t with 18-23 year olds in their physical prime. Maybe got lucky that no olds on coaching staffs had really bad outcomes- I imagine that was the biggest risk factor from this whole thing. 

Props to the big 12 for making this season happen. I think they were the catalyst for making the thing happen- as if we opted out I think the ACC would have gone with us and the other schools wouldn’t have ever been shamed back into it. Either that or we’d have seen the SEC be the only conference to play, maybe. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

SEC played 69 of 71 scheduled regular season (+ CG) games.  Plus 9 of 12 bowl or playoff games.  Tenn and SCar had to cancel bowl due to CV-19 issues within their program.  Arkansas had to cancel due to TCU issues.
That's 97% regular season, 94% overall.
I think the Big 12 played 52 of 56 regular season (+CG) and 5 out of 6 bowls.
That's 93% regular season and 92% overall.
No hospitalizations, and obviously no deaths.  A shitload of money made, and although it wasn't primarily done for altruistic reasons, there are a lot of jobs and scholarships that were not lost that likely would've been.

^^^^This^^^^

Life goes on!

Thanks DJ

I didn't update the stats for bowls because so many of there was so much mixing & matching, and some schools opting out despite not having COVID issues. We all know the New Year's 6 plus the championship went off fine.

Guess we should start the "College Football in 2021 in Danger?" thread...people will be freaking out soon enough about schools scrapping their spring games

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Bartles said:

I didn't update the stats for bowls because so many of there was so much mixing & matching, and some schools opting out despite not having COVID issues. We all know the New Year's 6 plus the championship went off fine.

Guess we should start the "College Football in 2021 in Danger?" thread...people will be freaking out soon enough about schools scrapping their spring games

Heh, true enough and a good point.  Somebody should definitely start the 2021 version of this thread.

And hopefully by July or so, we'll be able to answer with a resounding "NO."

SEC played 69 of 71 scheduled regular season (+ CG) games.  Plus 9 of 12 bowl or playoff games.  Tenn and SCar had to cancel bowl due to CV-19 issues within their program.  Arkansas had to cancel due to TCU issues.
That's 97% regular season, 94% overall.
I think the Big 12 played 52 of 56 regular season (+CG) and 5 out of 6 bowls.
That's 93% regular season and 92% overall.
No hospitalizations, and obviously no deaths.  A shitload of money made, and although it wasn't primarily done for altruistic reasons, there are a lot of jobs and scholarships that were not lost that likely would've been.

What about the old fat coaches?

You didn't update for the bowls because half of them were canceled and you're intellectually dishonest.

Either way, I'm glad we had the season, shit show as it may have been. It helped pass the time, and like brothahorn said, it got rid of Herman. The Tech and Bowl games were fun.

I will say that this season lacked more than a small handful of memorable games. Outside of Texas games the only one that stands out for me was the first ND/Clemson game. Not sure how much of that is Covid related, and how much has to do with an ever-worsening lack of parity.

But I'm glad we had the season. And I'm glad we'll never have another one like it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Fuck outta here with that. I said from when I started posting the percentages it was only between two Power 5 teams. I acknowledged the lesser funded G5 teams would have more problems, and they did, all the way through to the bowls.

A quick glance shows 13 bowls (inc. CFP) between P5 teams were played and four were canceled. So 4 out of 17 is nowhere near "half of them were canceled" if we're being "intellectually honest".

As far as focusing on power teams...I posted a lot on this subject regarding pandemic sports in general. The theme was always: spend the money, do adequate testing and play the fucking games. That's what continues to happen today as the NHL drops the puck and NFL marches into the playoffs. NBA will be OK too.

Sports have been a leader in showing society at large how this can work: if you spend the money and test widely, you don't have to shut down. There is obviously a larger cloak room conversation to be had on how that could have applied to the public in general, and I really wish the USA was capable of that discussion but we're not.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

A quick glance shows 13 bowls (inc. CFP) between P5 teams were played and four were canceled. So 4 out of 17 is nowhere near "half of them were canceled" if we're being "intellectually honest".

Intellectually honest would be comparing how many p5 vs. p5 bowls were played this year vs. past years. Since 2017 the average is right around 20 per year. They played 13, so we lost a full 1/3rd of P5 vs. P5 bowl games. And a big chunk of the remainder were unwatachable beacuse of optouts or because the P5 team featured was a trash can of a sub-.500 team.

We lost more than 60 D1 games and more than 40 conference games. A team that won six games made the CFP. The Pac 12 championship game featured a 4-2 team that finished #3. And they won. The Outback bowl featured a 4-5 team. The Gator bowl had a 4-6 team. A 3-7 team played a bowl game on national television. The Rose Bowl was played in Arlington Texas.

Bottom line is Surly's little band of "hurr durr it's just the flu" mouth breathers can cherry pick stats all you want, but anyone with a pulse knows this was a fucked up season that held more entertainment value in the novelty of the trainwreck than it did as an actual road to crowning champions.

It was fun. I do concede that ultimately the best team won the title. Bama wouldn't have lost whether they played 5 or 50 games.
But it wasn't the "ho hum all is well great season boys!" BS that you're selling.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Haha 1

I'll own that I was wrong. I would not have bet on Texas playing a full B12 schedule. 

I didn't find the season particularly enjoyable. Of course, that was mostly because Texas underwhelmed. When your team sucks the fun thing about CFB is the social aspect. Without that it was pretty easy to find better things to do on Saturdays than watch mensa find ways to lose. Definitely didn't watch as much non-Texas CFB either. In fact, almost none. With as bad as the product was on the field thanks to no spring and limited fall camps, and no gameday atmosphere to speak of, the NFL was an infinitely better option this year. Never thought I'd say that.

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

It seems like that number should be lower. I dont care enough to look it up but i though aggy cancelled a few games themselves, and there should be many others who cancelled at least 1 or 2.

The number is correct.  Here are the league standings.  Every team was scheduled to play 10 conference games.  10 schools played 10 games.  4 schools only played 9 (UGA, VU, TAM and OM).  There were rescheduled games for sure in the open weeks that were designated, but only 2 games were not played.

https://www.secsports.com/standings/football

The number is correct.  Here are the league standings.  Every team was scheduled to play 10 conference games.  10 schools played 10 games.  4 schools only played 9 (UGA, VU, TAM and OM).  There were rescheduled games for sure in the open weeks that were designated, but only 2 games were not played.
There were also three played on the same day as the conference championship which rendered them completely meaningless from a conference perspective.

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
15 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

There were also three played on the same day as the conference championship which rendered them completely meaningless from a conference perspective.

Those games would've been "meaningless from a conference perspective" the week prior as well.  When 2 teams out of 14 make the CCG, most conference games are "meaningless" as to deciding who will win the conference.  Not sure what the point is.  Just because a game isn't affecting a championship doesn't make it meaningless.

21 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Those games would've been "meaningless from a conference perspective" the week prior as well.  When 2 teams out of 14 make the CCG, most conference games are "meaningless" as to deciding who will win the conference.  Not sure what the point is.  Just because a game isn't affecting a championship doesn't make it meaningless.

They weren't scheduled the week before. The aggy game was scheduled for November 11. Had it been played as scheduled they would have been alive for the SEC title and very much alive for the CFP. When it was played, they were out of SEC contention and basically out of CFP contention barring a huge upset on conference championship weekend. Let's try to be honest when we're discussing these things. 

Edited by BradInATX

12 hours ago, BradInATX said:

You didn't update for the bowls because half of them were canceled and you're intellectually dishonest.

Either way, I'm glad we had the season, shit show as it may have been. It helped pass the time, and like brothahorn said, it got rid of Herman. The Tech and Bowl games were fun.

I will say that this season lacked more than a small handful of memorable games. Outside of Texas games the only one that stands out for me was the first ND/Clemson game. Not sure how much of that is Covid related, and how much has to do with an ever-worsening lack of parity.

But I'm glad we had the season. And I'm glad we'll never have another one like it.

You must not really enjoy college football because I saw a crapload of enjoyable/exciting games outside of Texas games.  But reading your posts seems to reveal an intention to crap on just about anything positive about the season as a whole, so you do you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

You must not really enjoy college football because I saw a crapload of enjoyable/exciting games outside of Texas games.  But reading your posts seems to reveal an intention to crap on just about anything positive about the season as a whole, so you do you.

I literally bookended the paragraph you bolded by stating, twice, that I enjoyed the season and was glad we had it.

"WHY DO YOU HATE COLLEGE FOOTBALL?!"

Try to keep up.

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

They weren't scheduled the week before. The aggy game was scheduled for November 11. Had it been played as scheduled they would have been alive for the SEC title and very much alive for the CFP. When it was played, they were out of SEC contention and basically out of CFP contention barring a huge upset on conference championship weekend. Let's try to be honest when we're discussing these things. 

I don't see what's dishonest or what the point is?  Should I say that game wasn't played?  

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I don't see what's dishonest or what the point is?  Should I say that game wasn't played?  

Point was you were saying that they were scheduled for the week before, which would have made them all have a similar lack of stakes as when they were played. But the aggy game was scheduled for 3 or 4 weeks earlier, when the game was actually quite meaningful for aggy. Much more so than when it was played.