College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Not sure what it has to do with it, whether or not a game was played that had no effect on the conference championship?  Every single game Kansas plays, has nothing to do with the conference championship, and yet they soldier on and do it anyway, and I'd imagine that all ten of their fans are still going to watch it regardless.

Also, A&M's make-up  game on the CCG weekend was pretty important to them-- they were playing for one more "data point" to try to get into the CFP, or at least improve their resume for a chance at a better bowl.  And arguably, it helped them land their first major bowl since the 80s or so?

Anyway, I'm glad the season played out, I'm glad I got to enjoy college football, and I'm glad that although it was abbreviated and incomplete and had its issues, it most certainly was NOT a shitshow, like so many people (including me back in the summer) thought it might turn out to be.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Point was you were saying that they were scheduled for the week before, which would have made them all have a similar lack of stakes as when they were played. But the aggy game was scheduled for 3 or 4 weeks earlier, when the game was actually quite meaningful for aggy. Much more so than when it was played.

I didn't say they were scheduled for the week before.  You said they rendered worthless because they were played on championship weekend.  I simply said - by those standards - they also would've been worthless the week before (which was not a championship weekend).

15 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I didn't say they were scheduled for the week before.  You said they rendered worthless because they were played on championship weekend.  I simply said - by those standards - they also would've been worthless the week before (which was not a championship weekend).

Got you. But the aggy game would not have been worthless when originally scheduled. I don't know about the other two, but those teams were all pretty shitty, so we didn't lose much.

Overarching point, though, is that there was a ton of that that gets missed in the "X% of games got played" narrative. A good deal of games ended up played, but a rescheduled date with diminished meaning (and opt-outs, players out with Covid, etc.). The marquee matchup of the entire regular season (Clemson/ND) was missing the best player in college football. 

That stat doesn't account for the fact that we missed out on a ton of great matchups. We lost some of the best OOC games in recent memory. We lost our LSU game. Ohio State vs. Oregon was lost and had huge CFP implications. USC vs. Alabama - same thing.

Cincinnati missed a chance to prove themselves against Nebraska, which could have changed the CFP calculus (probably not, but if they blew them out, who knows). FSU vs. Boise. UNC vs. UCF. Notre Dame vs. Wisconsin. Auburn vs. UNC. One that I was really sad to see go was Coastal vs. ULL - that was probably going to be a great, fun game. The list goes on and on. Four of the six games I listed, which were great matchups with significant implications, get lost in the cherry-picked math of "P5 vs. P5". 

The intellectually honest thing to do is to admit that yeah, the season was still pretty fun and it was a net positive to society, but that it was a shit show, and we missed out on a lot of great, meaningful college football. Not use cherry-picked stats to attempt to make a point that anyone with two eyes knows is wrong.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

The intellectually honest thing to do is to admit that yeah, the season was still pretty fun and it was a net positive to society, but that it was a shit show, and we missed out on a lot of great, meaningful college football. Not use cherry-picked stats to attempt to make a point that anyone with two eyes knows is wrong.

Don't we all know we missed out on great games due to Covid.  Just looking at the SEC and the schedule, I don't think it has to be pointed out in every discussion that there were no OOC games.  Isn't that widely known?  They scheduled 71 games and played 69.  Is that incorrect or cherry picked?  I mentioned that a lot of them were rescheduled, and they were.

Conferences like the SEC and Big 12 did a great job coming up with a plan before the season, having guidelines, starting at the right times, and providing make up dates.  And playing 90%+ of those games.

I don't feel like we have to say we missed out on certain things due to Covid or else its intellectually dishonest.  We all know that.

Given the restrictions put in place, and the lack of any significant illness, the season was a huge success.

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Overarching point, though, is that there was a ton of that that gets missed in the "X% of games got played" narrative.

Your problem is that you see some "narrative" where none exists.  You appear to take any opinion that doesn't match yours, as an attack on your ideals.  I'm not sure why you choose to take this stance but it's not healthy.

Nobody's saying this season wasn't altered or weird.  It wasn't the same and never could have been.  I assume that back in 1918 during the Spanish Flu pandemic, people watching college football games in masks and watching teams playing without all their best players, and playing a condensed season, thought it was strange and unusual as well.  But the season went on, regardless.

So nobody's saying that this season was business as usual.  People are saying they're happy there was football.  People (like me) are saying we're surprised we got any games in at all, based on what it looked like back in July.  People are saying that they're glad there don't appear to be any major hospitalizations among players and coaches, as a result of playing football.

You've built up in your head that folks being happy about so much of the season actually being played, is some narrative and some attack on your opinion.  It's not, it really isn't.  You're bringing this attitude in from elsewhere, and that's on you, that's not our problem.  It's your problem.  And it will continue to be a problem for you, as long as you believe there is some narrative that is opposed to your opinions.

But I can promise you, it's not a problem for me, and it's not a problem for plenty of other people that are happy we saw a season that was imperfect, but enjoyable.

And the added benefit, is that it got Tom Herman fired.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Your problem is that you see some "narrative" where none exists.  You appear to take any opinion that doesn't match yours, as an attack on your ideals.  I'm not sure why you choose to take this stance but it's not healthy.

Nobody's saying this season wasn't altered or weird.  It wasn't the same and never could have been.  I assume that back in 1918 during the Spanish Flu pandemic, people watching college football games in masks and watching teams playing without all their best players, and playing a condensed season, thought it was strange and unusual as well.  But the season went on, regardless.

So nobody's saying that this season was business as usual.  People are saying they're happy there was football.  People (like me) are saying we're surprised we got any games in at all, based on what it looked like back in July.  People are saying that they're glad there don't appear to be any major hospitalizations among players and coaches, as a result of playing football.

You've built up in your head that folks being happy about so much of the season actually being played, is some narrative and some attack on your opinion.  It's not, it really isn't.  You're bringing this attitude in from elsewhere, and that's on you, that's not our problem.  It's your problem.  And it will continue to be a problem for you, as long as you believe there is some narrative that is opposed to your opinions.

But I can promise you, it's not a problem for me, and it's not a problem for plenty of other people that are happy we saw a season that was imperfect, but enjoyable.

And the added benefit, is that it got Tom Herman fired.  

If Bartles was really interested in painting a true picture of college football in 2020, his updates would include total D1 games played/cancelled, total games with ranked teams played/cancelled, and some accounting for how full-strength teams are when they play; I'd probably use average players inactive by week historically, then compare to this year. That's how you get a true capture of the full landscape. But of course every single person in this thread knows that the entire purpose of Bartles' updates is to spike the football, not to actually give a factual update of the state of the game.

Otherwise cool gaslighting. You already know that won't work on me, though.

Edited by BradInATX

Just now, BradInATX said:

If Bartles was really interested in painting a true picture of college football in 2020, his updates would include total D1 games played/cancelled, total games with ranked teams played/cancelled, and some accounting for how full-strength teams are when they play. That's how you get a true capture of the full landscape.But of course every single person in this thread knows that the entire purpose of Bartles' updates is to spike the football, not to actually give a factual update of the state of the game.

Otherwise cool gaslighting. You already know that won't work on me, though.

Meh.  I'm not overly concerned about G5.  We don't invite them to our parties already.

But you do you-- literally this is a problem entirely in your head, made up by you, and affecting only you.  Enjoy it, I guess.

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

But you do you-- literally this is a problem entirely in your head, made up by you, and affecting only you.  Enjoy it, I guess.

LOL. Yep, I'm the only one in the world who thinks that the 2020 college football season was a (admittedly entertaining) frankenstein bastard monster of what a real college football season should look like. 

You're really smashing them out of the park today. 

I can't help but wonder who in your life is so stupid that you've grown accustomed to these weak ass gaslighting attempts actually working.

Edited by BradInATX

LOL. Yep, I'm the only one in the world who thinks that the 2020 college football season was a (admittedly entertaining) frankenstein bastard monster of what a real college football season should look like. 

You're really smashing them out of the park today. 

I wonder who in your life is so stupid that you're used to these terrible little gaslighting attempts working.

Gaslighting and narratives.  You're all about the conspiracies when there are far simpler explantions.

I don't have to wonder who in your life is so stupid that you come up with this, because it's obviously you.

This season worked out just fine and it still would have been just fine without the hysteria and cancellations and virtue signaling and dumb masks and altered schedules and empty stadiums, too... ESPECIALLY the dumbass cancellations due to "contact tracing" where no one was actually sick, they just happened to be near someone who may or may not have been. 

This country has lost its fucking mind over politics - and the reaction to this "pandemic" is almost entirely politics based - and all of you dumbfucks who predicted doom and gloom in CFB should be using the "success" of this season (really, normality) as evidence for you to question your newfound religion rather than pointing at the handful of asinine cancellations and modifications as proof that you were right all along. 

Anyone who was against playing CFB this season was 100% wrong and should admit as much. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I remember siding with & repping BradATX in some of the early cloak room COVID threads. I got a temp ban from posting (like 12 hours) for making some sort of indirect anti-Trump reference on this thread. I know 2020 was an American disaster story. The Tuscaloosa postgame superspreader-celebration is nauseating.

But overall, sports are one of the few COVID bright spots, and that has been my main point. Again, highlighting major schools was to show if we make the investment, we can navigate this crisis and preserve some normalcy.

And quite a few posters in this thread deserved the ball spiked in their face...anytime a team canceled practice in September they'd come in with "This is fine" and "Another domino falls" bullshit. Well the last domino was Ohio State on this was fine for a historically good Alabama team.

I thought it would be a mess and they'd struggle to get games played.  I was wrong for the most part but it wasn't a normal season.  Two major conferences played half of their season, games were moved and postponed and canceled but they got most of them played and good for them.  Ratings show a lot of people skipped the season and we'll see if that continues next year, which I think will be interesting. That could be more a parity issue than a pandemic one.

Edited by 4th&Five

4 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

This season worked out just fine and it still would have been just fine without the hysteria and cancellations and virtue signaling and dumb masks and altered schedules and empty stadiums, too... ESPECIALLY the dumbass cancellations due to "contact tracing" where no one was actually sick, they just happened to be near someone who may or may not have been. 

This country has lost its fucking mind over politics - and the reaction to this "pandemic" is almost entirely politics based - and all of you dumbfucks who predicted doom and gloom in CFB should be using the "success" of this season (really, normality) as evidence for you to question your newfound religion rather than pointing at the handful of asinine cancellations and modifications as proof that you were right all along. 

Anyone who was against playing CFB this season was 100% wrong and should admit as much. 

Why is pandemic in quotation marks?  Do you not understand what that word means?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Why is pandemic in quotation marks?  Do you not understand what that word means?

Sorry, I meant to include the quotes around "this pandemic". 

People say "this pandemic" all the time and it is the most fucking annoying phrase of 2020 at this point. 

It means a widespread disease across the entire world. That's it. It doesn't mean the stupid fucking reaction to it.

8 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Sorry, I meant to include the quotes around "this pandemic". 

People say "this pandemic" all the time and it is the most fucking annoying phrase of 2020 at this point. 

It means a widespread disease across the entire world. That's it. It doesn't mean the stupid fucking reaction to it.

No, the most annoying phrase of 2020 is “we’re all in this together.”  We are demonstrably, vehemently, violently, NOT in this together. We’re about as far apart as we can be from being in this together. 

• Rage+1 1