College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

MLB has done a tremendous job thus far not panicking and just treating it like an ordinary illness or injury. Which it is. 

LOL yes society has been negatively affected all over the world because this is just like an ordinary illness or injury. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, deter said:

And 324 did not die that day. 324 more deaths were reported which occurred over the previous week or longer. Twist.

In Travis County there have been 2 deaths for 20-29 year olds out of 6058 cases (I am doing this through 8/8 only as that is all Travis County is showing (they upload deaths at weekly lvl)) for a 0.03% mortality rate.

For the 10-19 cohort there has been 1 death (last week was 1st time someone in this bracket died) out of 634 cases for a 0.16% mortality rate.

I don't think death is the issue here (not that any death from this for a football player is ok) but rather potential long term effects on player's health from a virus that has not had any meaningful long term study (for the obvious reason that it is new)

I would also posit that of the folks in these two age cohorts that have A) caught Covid and B) died from it, were in all likelihood not receiving anywhere near the daily care/regular testing and in the physical shape of UT football players.

I am not saying you won't have cases. I am saying I would expect, at scale to see a very small number of players actually dying of this. Now coaches, trainers, etc different story depending on age group. I wouldn't allow fans in however, or band or cheer. Just the players.

4 hours ago, nnm said:

This is about the dumbest talking point out there. You do realize this is a worldwide pandemic, right? And that every single country in the world is going through the same exact arguments about shutting down/opening/masks, etc., right?  And that the US president is only the president of one of those countries?  That those other countries, and all of their media, are covering the pandemic and the argument in their own stinkin’ country?  
Not everything is about this particular US president. It’s not some global conspiracy, involving every single other country in the world, and every single medical system in the world, just to make this president look bad. 

If you guys got to see the media from the European perspective that I see it from every day, I believe a lot of you would gain a whole new perspective on the media and their behavior.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Alien Octopus said:

Why not pick a more arbitrary number? You have no idea how many people will get it. Nobody does.

Why not pick a more arbitrary number than the best ones that exist in reality?

Boy Einstein I have no idea why not.

PS you're supposed to breathe through your nose not your mouth.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So, you're mathematically illiterate?

Hint: When you divide 169,848 by the US population (329M or so) and get 0.0005139, that is not equal to  ".0005139% Of the population," you gotdam rube.

I divided by 330 mm. potatoes patatoes, I’ll go with your number genius.

Edited by Alien Octopus
  • Fuck You 5

5 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Why not pick a more arbitrary number than the best ones that exist in reality?

Boy Einstein I have no idea why not.

PS you're supposed to breathe through your nose not your mouth.

Are you seriously saying that 3.2% is the best fatality rate and calling someone else an idiot?  That is absurd. That’s deaths divided by cases which is not how any fatality rate for any disease has ever been figured, and literally every single scientist would laugh at you for saying that’s the fatality rate. 
best consensus estimate is fatality rate between .15 and .5, nowhere near 3.2. 
now, talking tots fatality rate in and of itself is pretty stupid, when you consider this thing kills like 20% of some age groups that get it and like 0.02% of other groups that get it, but whatever- if you want to make your case stronger by using total fatality rate that’s fine- and there’s arguments that we should talk about it that way since it’s a problem for the public at large and not just 18-22 year olds (and the staff on the teams) but please don’t use 3.2 as a fatality rate and pretend like you are on the side of science or logic. 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

No they don’t, and no there aren’t. Frivolous lawsuits are like unicorns. On the rare occasions when they occur, they are rapidly dismissed and usually at the cost and expense of the plaintiff.

Your post reads like that of a tort-reforming insurance industry propagandist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that include class action suits with a huge number of plaintiffs?

There are already 150,000 potential wrongful death cases. Where are all the tens of thousands of lawsuits? Where are all the tens of thousands of lawyer advertisements for these cases?

Based on contact tracing to a bunch of football games that have been played? Because there has been a lot of contact tracing that's gone on. I know there are posters here dismissing it outright, but we've actually gotten pretty good at it. We know a lot of people got it at parties, social events, even at work. And there are a lot we don't know at all. I have no idea how many of those 150,000 can point to a big money event, knowingly held by big money sponsors, and assert, "It' your fault". There's probably some. Somehow I doubt there's 150,000.

But having a college football game with guys, who have potentially engaged in behavior that college students typically engage in, flying at each other all over the field, spreading the infection to not only other players on both sides, but possible family, friends, and other loved ones, and even strangers - who will all very possibly spread it on forward? That narrows the liability target down to a very nice convenient bullseye.

30 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah I’ll agree.  I think there’s legit smoke with fear about college players organizing and that’s at least a part of the reason to call it - if not the main reason.  This isn’t a group of people that has a track record of caring about players.  

Yeah I’m shocked the B12 Presidents didn’t shut it down for this reason alone.  Not that they would have publicly admitted it....

Edited by Ignatius

Also if I can translate for crimson horn what I think he’s saying (and he can tell me if I’m wrong or not)...

I think he’s saying that once you get the virus it’s more or less like any other illness that you are going to get better (or not in a very very few cases in the age cohort we are taking about), so for any individual 19 year old college football player who gets it he’s probably looking at like a 1/5000 chance at this being deadly, and the other 4999 out of 5000 chance that he doesn’t die and so instead gets better, on a timeframe, like any other illness or injury. Maybe they are out a week, maybe a month, maybe a year, or maybe it’s career ending, just like any other illness or injury. 
the Covid deadliness comes in total high spreading and old person lethality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yes which is still .0005139% of the population.

Oh look, it took less than 24 hours for yet another moron to perform the same, completely irrelevant calculation to argue “no big deal guys”. It amazes me how many truly dimwitted people are out there.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Contact tracing is great for reducing the spread of the virus. It has shit all to do with proving proximate cause, which requires evidence eliminating other possible sources of transmission. Contact tracing doesn’t show that you aren’t the one (or one of the ones) who brought it to the location yourself.

I don’t understand why people are talking about class action as some sort of exception to the frivolous lawsuit myth. Can anyone tell me the last time a class even got certified in Texas? Or how the hell you could certify a class over Covid transmission? Honest question (for the surly lawyers).

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

That tremendous job is on the verge of forcing them to play in only a handful of cities.

But yeah, they're doing great. 

What the hell are you talking about? "Handful of cities"?  They are playing in all of the regular cities, except that the Blue Jays relocated to Buffalo because the border is closed. 

But yeah - they are doing a great job in not panicking and bucking the hysteria that has gripped so many people in this country, including apparently several on this board. 

Not sure if you've noticed, but the Marlins postponed 6 games and since then they've actually played 9. And here's the kicker: none of those who tested positive have died and many of them are about to come back and play some more. THE HORROR! WHAT A DISASTER!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Contact tracing is great for reducing the spread of the virus. It has shit all to do with proving proximate cause, which requires evidence eliminating other possible sources of transmission. Contact tracing doesn’t show that you aren’t the one (or one of the ones) who brought it to the location yourself.

I don’t understand why people are talking about class action as some sort of exception to the frivolous lawsuit myth. Can anyone tell me the last time a class even got certified in Texas? Or how the hell you could certify a class over Covid transmission? Honest question (for the surly lawyers).

People are talking about it bc people like to blame stuff on lawyers and lawsuits. And those people who like to do that don’t typically deal with nuance and are looking for an easy answer. 
totally agree with your take on everything related to Covid lawsuits. Preach on. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Not sure if you've noticed, but the Marlins postponed 6 games and since then they've actually played 9. And here's the kicker: none of those who tested positive have died and many of them are about to come back and play some more. THE HORROR! WHAT A DISASTER!

"many of them are about to come back and play some more" is a complete load of bullshit.  You have no clue.

Baseball is doing great for the moment. To borrow Dan Wetzel's analogy, if you have to drive 20 miles in a snowstorm, you don't start celebrating after mile 5 or even mile 18. But what baseball has done is shown that the 28 teams who have successfully followed protocol can have a fairly normal season (they're like 30 percent done).

There is hardly any comparison to college football, I understand. But I think it's fair to make the narrow point that all sports that decide to play need to be prepared to hold steady when they see some positive tests in the beginning. Can they stop occasional positives from turning into outbreaks? At most colleges, probably not. Imagine if it was 4-5 teams instead of just Miami and St. Louis...that probably ends the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

What the hell are you talking about? "Handful of cities"?  They are playing in all of the regular cities, except that the Blue Jays relocated to Buffalo because the border is closed. 

But yeah - they are doing a great job in not panicking and bucking the hysteria that has gripped so many people in this country, including apparently several on this board. 

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/08/11/mlb-exploring-bubble-format-2020-playoffs-coronavirus

You also left out the part about the Cardinals. They've played exactly five games so far.

Edited by David Dennison