College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Before you call everyone an idiot for disagreeing with your viewpoints, you should do a little research, on the “overwhelming science”.
Masks are useful for some situations to help prevent spread of the disease, if that’s the goal. There is also the “overwhelming science” of herd immunity, which has helped in control and even elimination of serious viral illnesses.
Are you a “herd immunity denier?” Or “anti-herder”. Ad hominem attacks don’t strengthen your position.
There have been examples of successful strategies utilizing strict lockdown controls ( New Zealand, South Korea) and full opposite , (Sweden, South Dakota.) The best strategy will likely take a lot of time to unravel.
Using masks around susceptible/ vulnerable populations appears to be useful, but allowing the development of herd immunity in the rest of the population also can control the disease.  
I wish people who use “science “in their arguments would use all science, not just those elements that serve their position or allow them to attack opposing views.

I've done plenty of research. I do data and research professionally. I'm neither a "herder" or an anti-herder or whatever dumb buckets the internet has created for stupid people. The jury is still out on that one and we lack data to make any sort of definitive call on herd immunity.

However, there is plenty of data and evidence on masks. If you're still here unsure of whether masks work or not, then you're either disingenuous or stupid, neither of which will change. So I'm not going to waste my time. But enjoy rolling around in the mud with the hillbilly morons that your thesaurus words will impress.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I've done plenty of research. I do data and research professionally. I'm neither a "herder" or an anti-herder or whatever dumb buckets the internet has created for stupid people. The jury is still out on that one and we lack data to make any sort of definitive call on herd immunity.

However, there is plenty of data and evidence on masks. If you're still here unsure of whether masks work or not, then you're either disingenuous or stupid, neither of which will change. So I'm not going to waste my time. But enjoy rolling around in the mud with the hillbilly morons that your thesaurus words will impress.

I said nothing about masks not working,  as well as not knowing which strategy was best, (which you admitted) ,and I talked about the goals, so keep working on reading comprehension skills.

I called you out for being so absolute and inflexible  in your views and for ad hominem attacks on those that disagree with you.

Perhaps you should waste your time a bit more in this area of deficit. 

I called you out for being so absolute and inflexible  in your views and for ad hominem attacks on those that disagree with you.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Do as I say not as I do.  Good job coach 

Wtf does that mean? Power 5 head coaches are kinda known for taking their jobs seriously.  I'd be willing to bet he did nothing out of protocol.  And he's asymptomatic.. 

Saw on the ESPN crawl that David Ortiz was 'recovering ' from COVID-19, but is asymptomatic...what exactly is he recovering from then? This shit has jumped the shark

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Wtf does that mean? Power 5 head coaches are kinda known for taking their jobs seriously.  I'd be willing to bet he did nothing out of protocol.  And he's asymptomatic.. 

Saw on the ESPN crawl that David Ortiz was 'recovering ' from COVID-19, but is asymptomatic...what exactly is he recovering from then? This shit has jumped the shark

It means he was on the party bus with his old team.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:21 PM, Tex Pete said:

My point is that it’s hard to know what is and isn’t bullshit on either side. So much has changed since the start of all of this. 

True.  But the antimaskers are the worst.  Yelling at someone for wearing a mask?  Come the fuck on.  I’ll agree there’s a lot of BS out there and it’s a shitshow on both sides.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 10:57 AM, El Squared said:

Before you call everyone an idiot for disagreeing with your viewpoints, you should do a little research, on the “overwhelming science”.

Masks are useful for some situations to help prevent spread of the disease, if that’s the goal. There is also the “overwhelming science” of herd immunity, which has helped in control and even elimination of serious viral illnesses.

Are you a “herd immunity denier?” Or “anti-herder”. Ad hominem attacks don’t strengthen your position.

There have been examples of successful strategies utilizing strict lockdown controls ( New Zealand, South Korea) and full opposite , (Sweden, South Dakota.) The best strategy will likely take a lot of time to unravel.

Using masks around susceptible/ vulnerable populations appears to be useful, but allowing the development of herd immunity in the rest of the population also can control the disease.  

I wish people who use “science “in their arguments would use all science, not just those elements that serve their position or allow them to attack opposing views.

He's a fanatic with a room temperature IQ, don't waste your time.

On 9/19/2020 at 7:10 AM, BradInATX said:
On 9/19/2020 at 12:16 AM, DenverHorn said:
You are far from alone in your thoughts.  We are 2 years away from knowing what CV-19 is really all about.   A lot of people are really going to be surprised when the virus is finally mitigated and hard full cycle data is captured.  Everybody has a pretty strong opinion and there are only four "camps" to fall in with two making up 85% of the field.

Yeah, we won't really know what truly happened until we thoroughly investigate the anonymous comments on news articles!

It's one thing to lack the self awareness to realize you're drawing dead on a topic, but let it go and you show some respect for the deceased kid and his family.  Quit being a complete asshole of a human being.

Austin has more people than the entire population of South Dakota and Texas has three times the population of the entire country of Sweden. Just saying.

On 9/18/2020 at 12:22 PM, Newy25 said:

If you have to constantly tell other people how awesome your city or state is, it's not that awesome. 

Yea, I love Californians coming to flooding in to fleeing paradise to live in Austin Texas and telling everyone how things are done so much better in California without a hint of irony.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

First off, please provide the science showing which serious viral illnesses that herd immunity has helped control or even eliminate without a vaccine. And when I say serious viral illness, I mean those which can cause death, not chickenpox.  There are two ways to achieve herd immunity. a large proportion of the population either gets infected or gets a protective vaccine. Since we don't have a vaccine, I'm assuming you mean let everyone under 60 get infected, is this correct?

Since every person who touts herd immunity brings up Sweden, they actually haven't really looked at what Sweden did and the actual results. 

Sweden had a lockdown. It wasn't as severe as some countries, but it did. Sweden closed universities, schools with pupils 15 and older, and anyone over 70 had to self-isolate. They also banned gathering larger than 50. This did not save the economy as you might propose. The economy is expected to contract by 4.5%

The death rate was enormous compares to neighboring countries. Sweden's death per million is 580.64. It's neighbors Norway (49.07), Finland (61.18), and Denmark (109.6) had significantly lower deaths. Everyone sees the 5,864 deaths in Sweden and think that's a low number, but you have to consider the 10.23 million population. 

But don't worry, if you haven't noticed, the US is pretty much doing the Sweden model right now. Old people are staying home, no crowds over 50 besides political rallies and churches, and biker rallies, and universities and schools are somewhat closes and somewhat open. And guess what else, we have a shit ton of deaths. Currently around 204,126 with no signs of stopping. But since there are a lot of people, it's going to take a lot more deaths and a lot more spread before we reach the 70% of the population needed to reach herd immunity. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

does everyone agree that the virus is transmitted via airborne particles?  if so, it does not take science to figure out that masks hinder airborne particles when they spew from your mouth.  If everyone hinders what spews from their mouths, then the virus has less chance of traveling to another person.  Less Chance.  Not 100% effective, but fewer people will contract the virus and fewer people will die as a result.

7 months in and there are still questions about whether masks will have an effect in slowing the spread of the virus.  Well, i guess it's why we still have drunk driving deaths when rideshare is 100% effective against that.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

does everyone agree that the virus is transmitted via airborne particles?  if so, it does not take science to figure out that masks hinder airborne particles when they spew from your mouth.  If everyone hinders what spews from their mouths, then the virus has less chance of traveling to another person.  Less Chance.  Not 100% effective, but fewer people will contract the virus and fewer people will die as a result.

7 months in and there are still questions about whether masks will have an effect in slowing the spread of the virus.  Well, i guess it's why we still have drunk driving deaths when rideshare is 100% effective against that.

This video makes it pretty clear...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/19/2020 at 7:06 AM, BradInATX said:

It's amazing that we still have hillbillies that don't think masks help, despite mountains of evidence that they do. They're even on here, a place that skews more educated and intelligent than average. Just amazing. We live in idiot world.

This is from OSHA:  "Surgical masks are not designed or certified to prevent the inhalation of small airborne contaminants. These particles are not visible to the naked eye but may still be capable of causing infection. Surgical masks are not designed to seal tightly against the user’s face. During inhalation, much of the potentially contaminated air can pass through gaps between the face and the surgical mask and not be pulled through the filter material of the mask. Their ability to filter small particles varies significantly based upon the type of material used to make the surgical mask, so they cannot be relied upon to protect workers against airborne infectious agents."

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3219.pdf

So go fight it out with them.  I know it must be hard to always be the smartest person in the room.  Just announcing it constantly must be a drain.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

This is from OSHA:  "Surgical masks are not designed or certified to prevent the inhalation of small airborne contaminants. These particles are not visible to the naked eye but may still be capable of causing infection. Surgical masks are not designed to seal tightly against the user’s face. During inhalation, much of the potentially contaminated air can pass through gaps between the face and the surgical mask and not be pulled through the filter material of the mask. Their ability to filter small particles varies significantly based upon the type of material used to make the surgical mask, so they cannot be relied upon to protect workers against airborne infectious agents."

So go fight it out with them.  I know it must be hard to always be the smartest person in the room.  Just announcing it constantly must be a drain.

Don't forget about the state of California telling everyone to stay inside their homes because masks don't prevent you from breathing in smoke.  Smoke particles are much larger than COVID.   

• Hook 'Em 2

Your contention is that something that isn't 100% effective is 0% effective?

Galaxy brain here folks. Masks don't prevent every case of Covid. Throw them away!

It's a shame your dad viewed condoms that way too.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Don't forget about the state of California telling everyone to stay inside their homes because masks don't prevent you from breathing in smoke.  Smoke particles are much larger than COVID.

I used to work in a electroplating lab, handling Caustic Potash, Caustic Soda, Potassium Cyanide, Chromic Acid Flakes and three other kinds of acid.  We DID NOT use a surgical mask, even though the dust, mist and particles were 20,000 bigger than the virus.  I was also state certified for asbestos removal, and I would have been fined for trying to use a surgical mask instead of half face respirator with N-100 cartridges.  

But hey, if wearing a half assed mask in a half assed way makes anybody feel better, then they should go for it.

I used to work in a electroplating lab, handling Caustic Potash, Caustic Soda, Potassium Cyanide, Chromic Acid Flakes and three other kinds of acid.  We DID NOT use a surgical mask, even though the dust, mist and particles were 20,000 bigger than the virus.  I was also state certified for asbestos removal, and I would have been fined for trying to use a surgical mask instead of half face respirator with N-100 cartridges.   But hey, if wearing a half assed mask in a half assed way makes anybody feel better, then they should go for it. 

[/Quote]

This person is touting that he did not wear any sort of respiratory protection working with poisonous chemicals as if it's a positive or as if it's some sort of good point that he's making.

Idiot world.

• Fuck You 1

Galaxy brain here folks. Masks don't prevent every case of Covid. Throw them away!

It's more like fencing in 75% of your pasture.  It doesn't keep the cattle in, it just takes longer for them to finally get out.  Nobody is going to NOT come into contact with the coronavirus by wearing a mask, it just might put it off until later.  Hence, the oft forgotten phrase, "Flattening the curve".

An idiot like me shouldn't have to school you geniuses.  I was wearing masks and respirators long before you became an expert on them by reading the internet.

This person is touting that he did not wear any sort of respiratory protection working with poisonous chemicals as if it's a positive or as if it's some sort of good point that he's making.
Idiot world.

I didn't say I didn't wear respiratory protection.  I implied I would have been dead by now if I tried to protect myself with a surgical mask.  I used a half faced, dual filter respirator and a full facemask. 

I'm giving up.  I can't tutor you and debate you at the same time.

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess some of you would use a pair of pliers to remove a screw. Sure, it can be done...

A surgical mask is designed to protect you (patent) from your doctors germs. The doctors spittle from entering the patient’s open wound. Do no harm.

Try to think of the mask as a condom. It’s not for stopping STDs or other bad things from getting in. Although it helps reduce the risk of that possibility as a side benefit. Its primary function is designed to keep your seed from spilling out. And even that is not 100%. YMMV

I’m not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn, once, with a nurse, but that’s another story for another time. End of rant.../s
  • Hook 'Em 1

I didn't say I didn't wear respiratory protection.  I implied I would have been dead by now if I tried to protect myself with a surgical mask.  I used a half faced, dual filter respirator and a full facemask.  I'm giving up.  I can't tutor you and debate you at the same time.

A serious person does not contend that masks don't help prevent the spread of viruses. You are not a serious person and I'm not giving you serious person time or attention. My bad for misreading your post. Now go fuck off back to your Facebook with your anti-vax and flat Earth buddies.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, Cornfusion said:

I didn't say I didn't wear respiratory protection.  I implied I would have been dead by now if I tried to protect myself with a surgical mask.  I used a half faced, dual filter respirator and a full facemask. 

I'm giving up.  I can't tutor you and debate you at the same time.

Forgive me for interrupting your public mask debating, but I think you are missing the point of wearing a mask. Your mask isn't there to keep you from breathing in the virus, it's there to keep you from coughing up your virus infected shit into the atmosphere. Or maybe I'm wrong.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, General Specific said:

I guess some of you would use a pair of pliers to remove a screw. Sure, it can be done...

A surgical mask is designed to protect you (patent) from your doctors germs. The doctors spittle from entering the patient’s open wound. Do no harm.

Try to think of the mask as a condom. It’s not for stopping STDs or other bad things from getting in. Although it helps reduce the risk of that possibility as a side benefit. Its primary function is designed to keep your seed from spilling out. And even that is not 100%. YMMV

I’m not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn, once, with a nurse, but that’s another story for another time. End of rant.../s

Well, did you cum?

• Haha 1

Your mask isn't there to keep you from breathing in the virus, it's there to keep you from coughing up your virus infected shit into the atmosphere. 

That may be the point, but leaks go both ways.  Anybody who ever wore a respirator or a gas mask in the Army remembers the drill of covering the filters and then blowing hard to make sure you had your straps tight and a good seal.  I don't see anybody getting that with a surgical mask.  Hence, the OSHA blurb on them not being effective for airborne contaminants.

10 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

It's more like fencing in 75% of your pasture.  It doesn't keep the cattle in, it just takes longer for them to finally get out.  Nobody is going to NOT come into contact with the coronavirus by wearing a mask, it just might put it off until later.  Hence, the oft forgotten phrase, "Flattening the curve".

This is one the stupidest things I've seen posted. It truly is impressive. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3